Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Pegultagol

Erudite
The PS5 controllers are interesting, but the biggest improvement Sony could've done to it this gen is the battery compartment where 2 AAAs can go in. But of course they didn't so when the controllers inevitably has defunct battery one has to now invest in $100 ($90.00 CDN + tax) accessory. The haptic triggers are good and novel feature, Sony probably open source its program or middleware so the devs could use it to implement the feature easily and for cheap, that could help its adoption. And how many different gun recoil / reload haptic feedback does one need to create or tune, make one for each simple action and offer it as part of library and it might be even easier or even achieve near universal feature.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I cancelled my PS5 pre-order. I got a mail saying that my order would arrive in 2021. I migh as well wait for a deal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If I were a console gamer I'd probably get one at release just for Cyberpunk. I have a feeling the "last-gen" versions of that game will be pretty rough.

The Decline

Arcane
The PS5 controllers are interesting, but the biggest improvement Sony could've done to it this gen is the battery compartment where 2 AAAs can go in. But of course they didn't so when the controllers inevitably has defunct battery one has to now invest in $100 ($90.00 CDN + tax) accessory.

Or you could open the controller and replace the battery. It's not that hard.

bat_boro

Arcane
I'm keeping my PS4pro to play some shit I haven't played yet, then building a PC again. Fuck this console bullshit, abandoning my PC was the worst decision I've ever made in my gaming life. Could have been happily trolling 13 yo kids on Heroes of the Storm while getting high instead of this playstation "experience" bullshit. Serves me right for trusting the japanese jew

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What is pretty revealing is that so far, not only do we not have any game at release that serves as a showcase of the console capabilities (with even instead a focus on backward compatibilities of all things), but there is simply none of these in the lineup for the next years.

Last edited:

bat_boro

Arcane
In other words, it's a complete and total scam at the moment, specifically the sony turd. Microsoft will be blowing them out of the water on all fronts in the coming years, good riddance

Venser

Erudite

So despite PS5 having much faster SSD than the Xbox Series, same games have significantly slower load times, which is disappointing. The games in the backward compatibility mode will load similarly like having SSD in PS4 Pro. Also some games have visual glitches, including Resident Evil 7.

Last edited:

Allanon

Augur
Jesus, who the fuck cares about backward compatibility? Seriously, are you buying new hardware to play old crap over and over again?
I applaud Microsoft...they successfully sold the retarded masses the notion that all that matters is BC. Understandable, seeing as they suck at exclusives.
Sony couldn't give a flying fuck and you should neither. You like replaying old games, keep the old console.

"Oh look, this pixelated piece of shit that was released 7 years ago loads 10 seconds faster on xbox!!!1! O M G"
:nocountryforshitposters:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
specifically the sony turd. Microsoft will be blowing them out of the water on all fronts in the coming years, good riddance
Yeah I'm sure Microsoft will be blowing them out of the water, with having no exclusives at all.
News at 11, exclusives sell consoles.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
XBOX is a big part of the reason PC gaming turned to such shit... I'd rather the Playstation killed it than the other way around.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Who cares about backwards compatibility they said, as they loaded up Bloodlines for their 49th playthrough.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Jesus, who the fuck cares about backward compatibility? Seriously, are you buying new hardware to play old crap over and over again?
I applaud Microsoft...they successfully sold the retarded masses the notion that all that matters is BC. Understandable, seeing as they suck at exclusives.
Sony couldn't give a flying fuck and you should neither. You like replaying old games, keep the old console.

"Oh look, this pixelated piece of shit that was released 7 years ago loads 10 seconds faster on xbox!!!1! O M G"
:nocountryforshitposters:

I care and cared about it for a long time, ever since the PS2 days. I was thinking about selling my PS4 Pro after buying PS5 but now I'm not yet sure that's going to be the case. It's also annoying having to buy an additional controller because the DS4 only works in backward compatibility mode.
If you buy Xbox Series X, you're pretty much getting a better version of every Xbox console released and even the old controllers are going to work on it. As someone who never owned an Xbox, I'm looking at Series X as a retro gaming console as much as the next gan machine. There are still some exclusives I want to play from the original 2001 Xbox as well as the 360. It's also about game preservation and not having to hunt down used old hardware through ebay. I don't think the newer games are better, I play the old games all the time and there are still tons of them I missed.

Last edited:

Allanon

Augur
I care and cared about it for a long time, since the PS2 days. I was thinking about selling my PS4 Pro after buying PS5 but now I'm not yet sure that's going to be the case. It's also annoying having to buy an additional controller because the DS4 only works in backward compatibility mode.
If you buy Xbox Series X, you're pretty much getting a better version of every Xbox console released and even the old controllers are going to work on it. As someone who never owned an Xbox, I'm looking at Series X as a retro gaming console as much as the next game machine. There are still some exclusives I want to play from the original 2001 Xbox as well as the 360. It's also about game preservation and not having to hunt down used old hardware through ebay. I don't think the newer games are better than the old ones and there are still tons of games I missed that I want to play.

Play older games all you want, that's not the point. The point is making new hardware all about replaying old games instead of creating new experiences.
Look at Xbox reviews posted yesterday, they mainly about replaying old games. People comparing and arguing what console loads old games faster. It's laughable.

Venser

Erudite
Play older games all you want, that's not the point. The point is making new hardware all about replaying old games instead of creating new experiences.
Look at Xbox reviews posted yesterday, they mainly about replaying old games. People comparing and arguing what console loads old games faster. It's laughable.
That's because there are no next gen Xbox games out yet so all they can do is showcase the old ones. They really needed to have the new Halo game ready on launch but it got delayed. It's even on the back of the console box lol

Last edited:

Allanon

Augur
That's because there are no next gen Xbox games out yet so all they can do is showcase the old ones. They really needed to have the new Halo game ready on launch but it got delayed. It's even on the back of the console box lol

And instead of calling them out on that, people trip over themselves to excitedly tell the world on youtube how quick fast travel is now in Witcher 3.
Half the reviews are about how the black box is better/worse than white clam.
What the fuck happened?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom