Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Blackthorne health fundraiser

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In some bleak dystopian future, patients can alievate their health costs by signing to agree that treatments such as getting a camera put into their rectums will be live streamed on the internet to a paying audience. You just know its gonna happen, eventually. Fuck, for all I know, its probably a common service on the dark web or something.

I'll go for the doctors who give you discount if they get to do the operations without anaesthesia or pain killers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's funny; some of it is covered by insurance, but I always seem to get hit by fees that they don't cover. Yeah, it sucks ass and it should be investigated but I make games only, I'm not a lawyer too like Yohalem!!!!
I only won an argument with health insurance once, when, while on the verge of my appendix exploding, and under opium, the hospital (in network) told me that I had to pick between two surgeons (they had my insurance card) without telling me which was in-network and which wasn't. I mumbled something under my breath (possibly "just cut me already"), and anyway, they cut out my appendix and hit me with a $10k bill because the surgeon was out-of-network. Eventually I negotiated some reduced price from the surgeon ($1k maybe?). Didn't even get to keep my appendix, which I had pleaded for, wanting to bring it into work and pretend it was the leader of the Martian resistance who had been in my stomach the whole time.

Let me give you one retarded advice.

Borrow some money from whatever place. Go to Cuba, South America, Eastern Europe or South Asia. With $10.000 you can have almost any operation or treatment you want.

In poor countries you can get good healthcare if you have some money but in US it looks like they will save you just to ruin the rest of your life.

Just try it. You get almost the same shit for less money. And you don't get addicted on painkillers as in US.
Not necessarily crazy advice, but since I was mere hours from a burst appendix when crippling pain caused me to stagger off a train to my doctor's office, I'm not sure I would've been able to make it to Cuba in time.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's funny; some of it is covered by insurance, but I always seem to get hit by fees that they don't cover. Yeah, it sucks ass and it should be investigated but I make games only, I'm not a lawyer too like Yohalem!!!!
I only won an argument with health insurance once, when, while on the verge of my appendix exploding, and under opium, the hospital (in network) told me that I had to pick between two surgeons (they had my insurance card) without telling me which was in-network and which wasn't. I mumbled something under my breath (possibly "just cut me already"), and anyway, they cut out my appendix and hit me with a $10k bill because the surgeon was out-of-network. Eventually I negotiated some reduced price from the surgeon ($1k maybe?). Didn't even get to keep my appendix, which I had pleaded for, wanting to bring it into work and pretend it was the leader of the Martian resistance who had been in my stomach the whole time.

Borrow some money from whatever place. Go to Cuba, South America, Eastern Europe or South Asia. With $10.000 you can have almost any operation or treatment you want.

In poor countries you can get good healthcare if you have some money but in US it looks like they will save you just to ruin the rest of your life.

Just try it. You get almost the same shit for less money. And you don't get addicted on painkillers as in US.
Not necessarily crazy advice, but since I was mere hours from a burst appendix when crippling pain caused me to stagger off a train to my doctor's office, I'm not sure I would've been able to make it to Cuba in time.

Not for emergencies. But think about it if you know you need some serious examination or long term treatment (which you do).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This.

In Hungary, the national healthcare is a joke, but if someone has the monex, we have very good hospitals and doctors, which will provide pretty good service. Beats being in dept for life in the US.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This.

In Hungary, the national healthcare is a joke, but if someone has the monex, we have very good hospitals and doctors, which will provide pretty good service. Beats being in dept for life in the US.
pretty much. US healtcare bills are absolutely mad. this is my approximate bill when i broke my ankle 2 years ago:

-doctor's consultation: $25
-X-ray: $50
-MRI: $90 (because it's ankle. i think torso cost around $150-200 but even a full body probably cost you like 500 max)
-Medicine: $30
-Elastic Band + Ankle Brace : $20
-Crutch: $10

it still can be considered some amount of money, because of the salary here is smaller compared to developed country, but it is nowhere the absurd, bankruptcy inducing amount US citizen pays. this is out of pocket. when i actually use insurance, i literally pay nothing except for the insurance premium. when i got hospitalized due to dengue fever for 5 days in last may, i just have to bring my insurance card, fill out the form, and they take me to the room, everything is paid for.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know if I posted about this before, but I did dialysis twice in Orlando FL last year - my in-laws took us on vacation, and they took the kids to Disney World. I found a dialysis clinic there, made arrangements through my dialysis center, and I thought things were set. I did dialysis on Monday and Wednesday - we came home early on Friday, and I did dialysis in my home clinic early Saturday Morning. Then my insurance denied coverage for being "Out of Network" - to the tune of $14,726.40. Also, that hospital stay I talked about a few posts back, and lamented that there would be like a $1000 ambulence bill? Yeah, $1305.

RoQEBxx.jpg

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Silly question: do you have to pay it, like... immediately? Can you pay it in installments?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
This situation with healthcare is why I basically never considered studying or living in the US, even though I had the option. The wealthiest nation in the world treats its citizens like indentured servants.

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the health system the American people has chosen. They must prefer it this way.

America, the land of the free. Except most citizens are actually slaves to corporations and their owners.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Silly question: do you have to pay it, like... immediately? Can you pay it in installments?
Fuck that, I'm not paying that. This is an insurance screw up - and I'm sure the dialysis costs will be covered by medicare, as soon as they properly file their paperwork. Mine's all in. Oh, and they won't charge medicare $14,000. In fact, when I signed up for this dialysis center, the paperwork said something along the lines of "If you don't have insurance, it will be $400 per treatment.... $14,000 is a helluva lot more than $800.

The ambulance bill I will probably have to pay part of, but insurance should cover some. I just haven't gotten anything from my insurance company yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom