Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I assume it's code for "We tried but our spaghetti code can't handle them without exploding". Maybe those phrases translate the same in Russian?
Well, if you think about proper visual implementation of Timestop spell then they need to be able to stop and start any part of the scene animation separately. Like, the river should stop moving, the raindrops should stop in the air, but the wizard should be able to walk and still make splashes while the rest of the water is not moving. I would say that if they do not have some Dishonored-like engine then it's pretty much impossible.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I assume it's code for "We tried but our spaghetti code can't handle them without exploding". Maybe those phrases translate the same in Russian?
Well, if you think about proper visual implementation of Timestop spell then they need to be able to stop and start any part of the scene animation separately. Like, the river should stop moving, the raindrops should stop in the air, but the wizard should be able to walk and still make splashes while the rest of the water is not moving. I would say that if they do not have some Dishonored-like engine then it's pretty much impossible.
Baldur's Gate 2 had both Time Stop and Wish, and that was two decades ago.

I hope they'll at least have Meteor Swarm and Evard's Black Tentacles this time.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Wish as it's described in the sourcebook
Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you. Even wish, however, has its limits.
cannot be fully implemented into a video game especially these parts
  • Transport travellers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.
  • Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event. The wish forces a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s successful critical hit (either the attack roll or the critical roll), a friend’s failed to save, and so on. The re-roll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and Spell Resistance (if any) applies.
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfilment or only a partial fulfilment, at the GM’s discretion.)

Of course, you could just remove those parts but then you just get a powerful spell but that wouldn't be what the spell is supposed to represent IMHO.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
About autopause, I'm not sure what you mean
Thus, my question. What is wrong with you (as a representative of Western players)?

you can't be autistic to the point of suggesting it's a proper replacement for turn-based gameplay.
Proper autopause settings make RTwP immensely better than any turn-based outside of XCOM type games. RPG developers do not care about interruptions and overwatches, and cannot implement them properly. And without interruptions turn-based mode is an official cheat.

The French Dungeon thing has Overwatch.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Wish as it's described in the sourcebook
Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you. Even wish, however, has its limits.
cannot be fully implemented into a video game especially these parts
  • Transport travellers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.
  • Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event. The wish forces a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s successful critical hit (either the attack roll or the critical roll), a friend’s failed to save, and so on. The re-roll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and Spell Resistance (if any) applies.
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfilment or only a partial fulfilment, at the GM’s discretion.)

Of course, you could just remove those parts but then you just get a powerful spell but that wouldn't be what the spell is supposed to represent IMHO.
The first would be trivial if they implement Teleport (which I forgot in my previous post). The second is less trivial, but doesn't the Trickster mythic do something similar? Not in the Alpha, so I can't be sure.

Still, they could just implement the other options. Wouldn't be the first spell that doesn't work exactly the same as in tabletop.

Desiderius

Patron
smaug so you're OK when goblins just stay in-place waiting for a perfectly positioned fireball instead of trying to interrupt the caster by shooting at him. As any sectoid or muton would do on overwatch.

Forget it, man, they can’t be bothered to configure it properly. We’re just lucky we still have the option.

Desiderius

Patron
There are all sorts of reroll abilities already in game, and not just for Trickster. One of the keys to high level play if you understand the math.

Your knowledge goes back all the way to Berlusconi! Keep on condescending right down into that hole.

We’re not getting Berlusconi, we’re getting Gramsci you illiterate buffoon.
I'm 42 and "my knowledge" goes back to at least few decades before my birth.
But I was not under the impression this was supposed to be a contest about knowing my own country, so I'll have to ask: Is there a specific point you are trying to make, you utter mongoloid?

Ugh ffs, not this again. Pausing doesn't make the game TB, I don't mind RTWP that much but please stop with the :just pause the game bullshit:
The worst part of it is that's a completely useless suggestion, because it's not like "hitting pause" was some sophisticated nuance that people were missing when they say that they aren't particularly fond of RTWP.
That's what the "WP" part of it stands for.

And yet every time the topic comes up you have this bunch of socially stunted autistics smugly posting it as if was some revelatory insight.

I’m not religiously anti RTWP but also haven’t really been interested in playing the alpha until they implement TB.:obviously:

I did pledge my loyalty to owlcat at one of the more prestigious tiers, though. I trust the codexers to give them the appropriate feedback about how to implement Lawful Evil on my behalf.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
"hitting pause" was some sophisticated nuance
You're missing exactly that "sophisticated nuance". You do not need to hit anything; the game stops and awaits the player's orders all by itself. And the simultaneous nature of any real combat is preserved.

I'm OK with autistically repeating this simple truth to any non-XCOM turn-based funboy despite her/his actual age and gender.

cr0mag

Novice
How much longer does combat take with TB over RTwP? I'm in the minority of being very fond of both systems but I found that in P:K that Reggie was very difficult to micromanage in RTwP.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
How much longer does combat take with TB over RTwP? I'm in the minority of being very fond of both systems but I found that in P:K that Reggie was very difficult to micromanage in RTwP.

It varies but trash encounters that requires 15 - 30 seconds in RtwP would probably take 6 - 10 times longer, even more due to simultaneous nature of RtwP vs in TB where you would have 6 - 10 actors taking turn + in-between animations when you cast spells etc. In term of seconds I guess 6 - 10 times longer is porbably good estimate on how much longer TB is I guess, depending on number of actors + how big the map is.

Percy

Cipher
The 2nd Dragon FIght is also fun. Succeeding the SKill Checks and not have different starts and advantage (or disadvantage) and iff you fail all of them you also start with your pants down, 0 buffs, and lot of debuffs. One of the few instance as well where non-combat skill checks directly affect the combat encounter that follows. Not much instance of that for the rest of the game. Heck there is not much of that even when you include KM.

The Greybor Dragon hunting quest is one of the more entertaining quests overall, tbh.

so until chapter 3 you already can fight 2 dragons! those are full dragons not edgy linnorms right?

It's the same Dragon, you "ambush" it and then track it down to finish it off.

Finishing it off is easier if you pass skill checks. I am in my second play through and the fight was easy this time around.

There's a mini cut scene thing where you have a few rounds to finish it off or it flies away and destroys some shit, but Seelah killed it with an attack of opportunity for me this time around

Yeah so Greybor has good stats, but as mentioned by Desiderius he has weapon finesse but uses drawven waraxes (one of his default weapons is a handaxe that has the finesse wielding quality)

If you let him auto level, he will get mythic weapon finesse and piranha strike etc, even though his dex isn't higher than his strength. I can't remember what his original attributes are.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
What exctally can we talk about the alpha?I know some you guys played longer so have a better idea of what classes are already working or not

Whether it’s effective or not, I can at least understand the motivation for table top. I have been in table top games where things really bog down with exceptions and references and stuff. But for cRPGs, bring on the crunch and splat. I have never felt “this is too much crunch” when playing a cRPG, and generally am most obsessed with the games that have an absurd amount of systems, since I’m kind of a systems mastery guy

Vorark

Erudite
Did Owlcat mention anything about a core difficulty setting being available on release? If I'm not mistaken, Kingmaker used to have it during pre-release, as does Wrath right now, and then it was gone once the game was shipped.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
What is the deal with P2E? I hear a lot of bad things about it.

PF2E, like DnD5e is an attempt to streamline the PnP system. Personally I have only a few sessions with both (due to living in timezone where PnP is a rarity) but I personally don't think P2E is that bad. Heck, playing tabletop, everything flows much nicer in 2E compared to 1E. And I personally like it better when playing tabletop simply because too much thing to track/crunch in 1E (not to mention PF1E is a bahemoth of a system right now).

All in all, there are some problems which are tackled by both DnD5E and PF2E. For example, having a concentration system to adress the admitedly ridicolous number of stats from buff stacking from 1E. Then there is also an attunement system to manage stats inflation from itemization etc.

Unlike DnD5e which oversimplifies levelling, in general PF2E still has a lot of interaction when building your character. Feats are divided into Racial, Class, General Feat. When you level up you get a different feat allocation for each level. Instead of a fixed Class Feature like in 1E, Class Feature in 2E is locked to the feats so you have more control when building an archtype (e.g. Fighter has distint feats which more or less define whther you play melee dps, tank, or ranged. Alchemist has distinct feats for healing concontion, bombs, mutagen; etc). You of course can mix and match build from this list of Class Feats alongside General and Racial Feats.

Pathfinder 1e usualy already discourages multi-classing, and P2E remove multi-classing but instead have multi-classing being integrated into the Feat system. Instead of dipping a class level here and there, whenever you can take a Class Feat for your class, you can instead pick a "class devotion feats" which allows you to take Class Feats from other classes (which includes the ability to spellcast in case of taking spellcaster devotion).

Combat is changed from the Full Round, Action, Move, etc of PF1E into 3AP system. Most actions take 1 AP, Spellcasting usually 2 or 3 AP. There are Free Actions and Reactions which are seperate. All in all combat also flows nicely. There are few way to increase AP per round, Haste being the most common one.

All in all personally I wont' mind a PF2E CRPG as I think the system is quite nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom