Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

The staggering amount of ineptitude around Marvel's Avengers is hilarious. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal got maybe the easiest sure shot layup in video games and somehow they tripped over their own feet and landed square on their face.

One of the weirder things about this game is you'd think Crystal Dynamics was inventing the wheel when it comes to what they're doing here given how much they don't follow what better games before them have done. From the gameplay, to the levels, to the loot system, to the design of the characters themselves...everything they did was pretty much wrong.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would laugh my ass off if Lego Marvel's Avengers sold more copies than this POS. Wouldn't be surprised at all, that's actually a decent game.

J1M

Arcane
The staggering amount of ineptitude around Marvel's Avengers is hilarious. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal got maybe the easiest sure shot layup in video games and somehow they tripped over their own feet and landed square on their face.

One of the weirder things about this game is you'd think Crystal Dynamics was inventing the wheel when it comes to what they're doing here given how much they don't follow what better games before them have done. From the gameplay, to the levels, to the loot system, to the design of the characters themselves...everything they did was pretty much wrong.
These days the problem with a sure thing is that everyone thinks there's room to make a lot of diversity decisions.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They made a game about Miss Marvel, where you control Team B avengers fighting a third rate villain by collecting shinning shit that doesnt even change your appearance, what can go wrong?

It is like they built a pyramid with multiple levels of shit, then plastered the Avengers logo on the very top of the feces pile, hoping that people wouldnt notice what was bellow it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
In Square's defense, that same strategy has worked wonders on the film side.

Haven’t been following this all that closely, but wasn’t there a lot of chatter at release about how the game was clearly a Frankenstein monster of a game that spent most of development as a SP campaign focused game that did a hard pivot to a GaaS thing fairly late in development? If so doesn’t really seem likely that that was Crystal Dynamics idea/fault.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Haven’t been following this all that closely, but wasn’t there a lot of chatter at release about how the game was clearly a Frankenstein monster of a game that spent most of development as a SP campaign focused game that did a hard pivot to a GaaS thing fairly late in development? If so doesn’t really seem likely that that was Crystal Dynamics idea/fault.

Unlikely they said their Marvel Avengers project would be GAAS directly after finishing Rise of The Tomb raider
Here the original announcement from 2017

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come.

Unlikely they said their Marvel Avengers project would be GAAS directly after finishing Rise of The Tomb raider

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if the truth was somewhere in the middle. Square Enix is notorious for meddling with their western IPs, so while Crystal Dynamics may have been aware that Avengers was going to be some sort of GaaS, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SE asked them to make unreasonable changes.

The development of Anthem was a lot more transparent so any similar comments to Avengers are speculation, but Anthem's development cycle showed that upper management at some of these companies viewed GaaS as some sort of magic cash cow that they could get right on the first try with zero effort made to understand the genre or their competitors - either from the standpoint of avoiding the same pitfalls or simply differentiating themselves.

Avengers takes way too much inspiration from Destiny for their leadership to have ignored it, but it takes so many of Destiny's concepts and applies them with no apparent regard for why people may have liked or disliked them in the first place that it comes across like a bad Chinese knockoff.

Bony Hands

Literate
That's a whole lot of money to dump into a game and hope using Marvel characters will make cash magically appear in the bank. Going free-to-play seems possible to try to suck the last drops of money out of it.

ADL

Prophet
I still have no idea how they fucked this up so badly. You have access to the batshit insane multiverse and you make the call to have 90% of the game be set in generic "secret laboratory"?

I wouldn't be surprised if the truth was somewhere in the middle. Square Enix is notorious for meddling with their western IPs, so while Crystal Dynamics may have been aware that Avengers was going to be some sort of GaaS, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SE asked them to make unreasonable changes.

The development of Anthem was a lot more transparent so any similar comments to Avengers are speculation, but Anthem's development cycle showed that upper management at some of these companies viewed GaaS as some sort of magic cash cow that they could get right on the first try with zero effort made to understand the genre or their competitors - either from the standpoint of avoiding the same pitfalls or simply differentiating themselves.

Avengers takes way too much inspiration from Destiny for their leadership to have ignored it, but it takes so many of Destiny's concepts and applies them with no apparent regard for why people may have liked or disliked them in the first place that it comes across like a bad Chinese knockoff.

This was probably always meant to be a GaaS from the word go, I doubt it's a coincidence this game gets announced in the same year Marvel ended that Marvel Heroes game that had going for a few years...which was announced shortly after the planned Marvel and Microsoft Marvel Universe Online didn't happen. With this and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 releasing so close to each other, being developed at the same time, I wonder if the Marvel rights Square Enix got were for Marvel online focused game; if it was then this was always first and foremost meant to be some form of multiple online game.

Nothing about this really feels like Square Enix forcing unreasonable changes on Crystal Dynamics.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Can't wait for the Stan Lee dlc where he fights by stealing his opponents' moves.

Yeah, I'd kind of forgotten this game was a thing too until YouTube suggested a video for it to me not long ago. It was like: Oh yeah, that was a thing.

It's funny the Hawkeye story seems to be a slightly reworked version of Old Man Logan, they've even got the Hawkeye from that comic here, yet they don't bring it up. Oh, this story is based on the Old Man Hawkeye comic you may not have even known was a thing. They do know Disney owns Fox now, right? I'm sure it's OK for them to bring up X-Men stuff now. The Hawkeye story, after the main story, seems to be Exhibit B that the team really wanted to do an X-Men game but got stuck with The Avengers.

Doofy hipster Hawkeye in his casual clothes seems like a stupid direction to go with the base version of the character. It's not 2012 anymore, I doubt most people that want Hawkeye want that look for Hawkeye as the default. Seems like something you do as an extra.

They do know Disney owns Fox now, right? I'm sure it's OK for them to bring up X-Men stuff now.

Square licensed everything when this was not the case I'm sure, so there might be issues with technicalities and whatnot that prevent this.

They said already back around when the beta was coming out that the license extends to the full history of Marvel comics when asked if they can use the X-Men. So it would seem it'd be OK. Now maybe with the base game Marvel wanted them to lessen that impact, so you get stuff like using the Inhumans in place of Mutants, which even Marvel Comics had given up on by the time the game came out. That whole replacing the X-Men with the Inhumans thing seemed to die with the ABC tv show that was once going to be a movie. But it's 2021 now, Disney bought Fox back in 2019, there's an actor from the Fox X-Men movies on an MCU tv show, I'd think it'd be ok now to say "This Hawkeye DLC is based on Old Man Logan with Marstro Hulk who first appeared in Future Imperfect in place of hillbilly Hulk" in the advertising given they've said they can use whatever they want.

I'm guessing that either they don't want to overtly reference Wolverine until they're absolutely certain he can be in the game, or they want it to be a surprise in the game itself. Either way, they gain almost nothing from overtly discussing the comic book roots - comic fans will already know, and I would imagine that 99% of the current Marvel fandom is built on moviegoers who have zero intention of ever picking up a comic book.

That being said, I'd be surprised if they didn't aim to get Wolverine in there at some point, as there've been more than a few Marvel comics they tried to boost by having sudden cameo appearances from Wolverine. He's a strong selling point for many.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom