Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce 3 Reforced + Soul Harvest & Fallen God standalone expansions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, I will consider playing 1 though I was specifically asking about Spellforce 3, as I see there is the main game, and also two standalone expansions. Which of those would you recommend?

Pretty sure it's "quote unquote", btw.
Start with 3 if you want only to play this and its expansions. And you are right, I've never seen this written and somehow assumed it's quote on quote lol.

Vatnik Wumao
Which of the Spellforce 3 games would Codex bros recommend to someone completely new to the series?
Others would recommend 3, but I say 1 for certain reasons. 3 is the most straightforwardly playable and quote on quote "the best", but 1 is more unique. Which is why you should start at 1, so you don't get spoiled by 3.

Thanks, I will consider playing 1 though I was specifically asking about Spellforce 3, as I see there is the main game, and also two standalone expansions. Which of those would you recommend?

Pretty sure it's "quote unquote", btw.
Just started the latest expansion so I couldn't pronounce myself on it, but the base game and Soul Harvest are worth it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Gave in and got it, feels super polished and better than both base game and SH so far.

The trolls are absolutely hilarious.

Vatnik Wumao
Death through superior fire manpower.
76FXwxp.jpg

Am I the only one whose playstyle in SP RTSs is to hoard resources and build a greater army than is needed just to make sure that I overwhelm the enemy on the first try? :M

krilcebre

Learned
Am I the only one whose playstyle in SP RTSs is to hoard resources and build a greater army than is needed just to make sure that I overwhelm the enemy on the first try? :M

I always did that, since the AoE1 or whatever RTS I played as a kid.

Any recommendations for Akrog's skill tree?

Vatnik Wumao

I always did that, since the AoE1 or whatever RTS I played as a kid.

In my case I'm just going for a sturdier DPS build. Works fine thus far:
W8Sz8Aq.jpg

In other news, at least 2 of the companions have abilities which are needed in order to unlock certain areas of the map. Wonder if we'll be stuck with the same 3 companions for the whole game then.

Edit: All three of them do. Will post an update if I find any new companions.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Death through superior fire manpower.
76FXwxp.jpg

Usually I try to just get as much as possible done with the 4 heroes, probably a bad habit.
Probably ends up being slower in the end.

The time limits are a nice touch, wonder how they tie in to the rebellious Nebrok.

I took blood and seems pretty ok, hard to summon multiple spirits though.
The synergies not being viewable from chargen is a big oversight.

krilcebre

Learned

Oh man, that's why I was asking, I don't know why they didn't put it in the menu, as it's kinda crucial for making a build you'll actually like playing. I was thinking of going with the hurler, as I kind of like the idea of a huge ass troll throwing things, since I kind of grew tired of the generic melee classes. Blood sounds fun too tho.

Parabalus

Arcane

Oh man, that's why I was asking, I don't know why they didn't put it in the menu, as it's kinda crucial for making a build you'll actually like playing. I was thinking of going with the hurler, as I kind of like the idea of a huge ass troll throwing things, since I kind of grew tired of the generic melee classes. Blood sounds fun too tho.

Someone compiled them on steam

Gorwe said:
I have tested all the combinations and these are the results:

AKROG:
  • Blood + Spirit: Moon Spirit Revenge(When a Moon Spirit dies, it causes AoE Damage + Weakness and Heal + Regen)

• Crush + Spirit: Hold The Ground(Just like Ranged + Defense Synergy from SH)

• Elemental + Spirit: Elemental Chieftain(Melee attacks reduce cooldowns by 1s and give Ice / Fire Might ; Moon Spirit gains Magical Retaliation)

• Gloom + Spirit: Moon Spirit Hex(When a Moon Spirit dies, it causes AoE Damage + CC, including Stasis at level 3)

• Hurl + Spirit: Chosen Enemy(Cause Spirit AND Chieftain's Mark on Ranged attacks and when attacked)

• Nature + Spirit: Blast the Marked(Cause Damage to Spirit Marked enemies ; 33%)

GRUNGWAR:
  • Blood + Elder: Hungry Totem(Life Leech Totem)

• Crush + Elder: Totem Backlash(Retaliation when close to a Totem)

• Elemental + Elder: Meteor Shower(Just like Ele + Druid in SH)

• Gloom + Elder: Hex Shield Totem(Magic Res Totem ; also causes Silence when it ends)

• Hurl + Elder: Return Hex(Gives back 5 Focus on Ranged Attack ; 20 -> 50% chance)

• Nature + Elder: Blessed Hex(+10-20% Power for Nature and Summon abilities)

ZAZKA:
  • Blood + Worm: Worms(Channeled AoE DoT)

• Crush + Worm: Flashboom(Just like that AoE CC skill Beguile started with in SH)

• Elemental + Worm: Power from Dead(Restore 25-50% Focus ; cost: 1 Ingredient)

• Gloom + Worm: Corpse Gas(Corpse based AoE CC + Health / Focus Regen)

• Hurl + Worm: Plague(Just like Plague aka Black + Druid in SH)

• Nature + Worm: Fire Fungus(AoE Dmg Retaliation ; can trigger multiple times, up to 6x ; dmg type: 0,33 Physical + 0,66 Magical)

I went with Blood, Hurl on zazka and Nature on the Elderfur, seemed very vanilla and thematic.

Hard to know what's "strong" in advance, since items modify it a lot - I thought my Zazka was trash, until I crafted a spear which summons animals on hit.

Elemental Chieftain seems very good though.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Funny enough, I am playing Akrog hurler right now and it's fine (I think). At least on normal (you need to specify on what difficulty you are playing, btw).
Using Gift of spirits, Chosen enemy and mark of the chieftain. In hurl tree I went for axes (you need to know btw that throwing axes are two-handed weapon and strength based), and skills : Deadly throw, sharpened hack-sticks and booming hack-sticks (this one I have doubts, because if ranged character ends up surrounded by enemies - something went wrong, so I thinking to switch it on Booming throw).

Edit: And yes, it's bad that game does not show synergies during character creation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It seems like nobody has read my retrospective. Spellforce 1 exudes LotR vibes from the cover alone, but doesn't really have anything to do with it narrative-wise, i.e. LotR easter egg. That's naturally continued to the rest of the franchise.

Parabalus

Arcane
On the crabshit map the references are almost too in your face to be called easter eggs.

Definitely seems like they had a lot of fun making this game.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I did the follow-up Farlonsheim mission and I liked how they reused that map after coming back from the orcs. The mission objective markers were pretty noticeable though, it has the same problem Skyrim has; the NPCs don't give you enough directions in order to find the mission objectives, so you can't really turn them off unless you want to aimlessly wander the (big) map for no reason. I'm kinda hoping the "save the captured militia" sidequest has a pay-off in the next map with the Red Falcons, because the extra units were kinda pointless during the caravan escape. Yes, I'm avoiding the elves for last because... elves. Do you *have* to get all the races actually? I can continue on with the main quest without having humans or elves available.

I'm still impressed with the map engine, they should lend it to Owlcat in order for them to make a map of adequate size once in their lifetimes. I'd say to Obsidian as well, but I doubt they'll be making another isometric RPG any time soon.

Also, is there a way to check what upgrades to units and buildings you already have?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am really enjoying the whole Spellforce 3 series and this latest expansion is still lot of fun. As both RTS and RPG these have been one of the best and most fun games in a long time.
And voice acting is one of the best overall.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Game is really good, very refreshing. I wonder how Noag's personality will tie into the ending.

Did a better RPG even come out this year?

vazha

Arcane
I remember in Spellforce I and its expansions it was possible to "solo" the game with your party if you min-maxed them well enough, foregoing the rts base building schtick almost completely. Is this still possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom