Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3008273

Know Your Enemy - Moon-Woman | Reddit AMA Schedule

Hey everyone! We'll have some cool announcements in our pockets, but first, let's continue our unit reveals with another fearsome enemy, and also talk a bit about our upcoming Reddit AMA.

Moon-Woman
In Avalon, they are known as witches, although these wise women only want to protect their tribes – even if it means that sometimes they will turn to entities beyond understanding. They are the matriarchs of the lost Pict tribes that wandered beyond the veil of the world and ended up in Avalon, following a strange vision. It is indeed true that the Moon-women wield fearsome powers: they can talk to the spirits of the night, they command the powers of the full moon and they can call forth the ancient beasts that lurk and slither under the surface.

dbee016700e14f4ed3f75355eabbeed0_original.jpg

Reddit AMA coming soon!
If you'd rather get your answers to questions about the game in writing than on-stream, we've got just the thing for you! We will be doing an AMA on Reddit /r/games starting Monday (November 9, 2020), 3PM CET. We'll be answering questions for at least 2-3 hours and maybe a few more. Should be fun, feel free to join and ask us what you want to know about King Arthur: Knight's Tale!

In the meantime, less than 9% more to go and we're fully funded!

Friendly Shout Out
Our friends from Elderbrain.com and their community created a D&D 5e and Pathfinder 2e compatible adventure and campaign setting based on a grand survey with over 2000 responses. The Crown of the Oathbreaker adventure is a 300-page multi-sandbox dark adventure campaign through a cursed kingdom and the Feyrealm. Grab the early-bird goodies and their super cool game aids while they last. BOOSTER CARDS - FREE SOUNDSCAPE APP - CHARACTER SHEETS - BECOME AN NPC!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3009384

Stretch Goals! | Battle Showcase - Melee Combat | 96% Reached!

First of all, thank you again for all the amazing support you gave us during this campaign! As Knight's Tale nears 100% funding with a little more than a week to go, it's time we reveal the first two stretch goals!

Stretch Goal 1: New Character Class: Sage (£ 130,000 or $ 170,000)

If we hit this goal, we'll be able to include a sixth class, the Sage. The Sage is a spell-casting unit, a kind of warrior-mage who casts mostly ice-based spells and blessings (opposed to the Arcanist who uses more fire-based spells and curses). This unit holds up better in a melee fight than the ranged units, but obviously not as well as melee-specialized classes.

Stretch Goal 2: PvP Battle (£ 150,000 or $ 195,000)

If we're able to go beyond this target, we can use the resources to develop a PvP mode. You will be able to use your heroes in the endgame to export them into PvP mode, where you'll be able to engage in a 4v4 scenario against human-controlled opponents. This mode would be available after finishing the campaign.

fc6c203616f144512ae4479cfd5a09e6_original.png

Battle Showcase - Melee Combat
Challenging combat situations require a deep tactical knowledge! In this short video series, we'll be examining different combat situations and the related gameplay features of King Arthur: Knight's Tale.

The first video shows you everything you need to know about melee combat:

02b4bf5959d50e1c106bf326dbe58d0c_h264_high.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3010612

We are 100% Funded! Thank You! | Battle Showcase - Ranged Combat | Personality & Traits

We've just reached 100% - thank you, we are overwhelmed by your support!

We've got some amazing stretch goals in store, such as the Sage class, PvP mode, and more! Now let's take a look at some more of the mechanics of Knight's Tale with a new episode of Battle Showcase, and an introduction to hero personalities!

Battle Showcase - Ranged Combat
003f05c3ccd770301a415dd65d22d084_h264_base.jpg

Personality & Traits
Last time we talked about the Morality Chart: your decisions will shape your ideological standing and the characteristics of your regency, or, to put it bluntly, you will have an in-game personality of sorts.

This is true for all heroes in King Arthur: Knight’s Tale. Each and every hero you hire has a distinct personality, as they have their own personal goals, world views and even conflicts.

The Personality of heroes is represented within the game mechanics as well: each hero has Traits, which will determine how they relate to you and each other, some of these can be unique to certain heroes.

Let’s say there’s a hero with a Virtuous trait. If you act as a Tyrant, they will be upset, and their loyalty will be eroded with each decision made. Adherents of the Old Faith will not be happy if they share a party with devout Christians. And so on.

Some of these trait combinations are very specific: Balan and Balin, for example, will have an additional advantage of sibling bond, but only if they’re both in the same party.

King Arthur: Knight’s Tale offers more than 100 personality traits for its heroes. It is your job to know your heroes and assign them to missions and parties accordingly. Well, at least, if you want the best results. If you want to see conflicts emerge at the cost of an efficient team, go for it! It might even be entertaining to see what happens!

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
To the one who has moved my postings to the other thread. I will repost here what a Hero is and how the Artus legend is influential upon european writting and what it means to shit upon it, like this game does.

I’m pretty stoked to learn more about Arthurian heroes in King Arthur: Knight’s Tale. Don’t really know much about the myth, so it’s going be sick to both experience a great tactical game and learn about history.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’m pretty stoked to learn more about Arthurian heroes in King Arthur: Knight’s Tale. Don’t really know much about the myth, so it’s going be sick to both experience a great tactical game and learn about history.

Myth. Lots of people here that take Arthurian myth and legend pretty seriously and would hang you from the nearest tree for saying that.

Or accuse you of being the type that sleeps with your sister. ;)

Darkzone

Arcane
Myth. Lots of people here that take Arthurian myth and legend pretty seriously and would hang you from the nearest tree for saying that.
If it was only his sister and not ...[/joke] Jokes asides i know that he is trolling.
Shiting on Artus Legend is ok for some people, because it is secure and nobody will behead them, while shouting Admiral Ackbar. How about this devs make a game upon the life of Muhammad, where you can play as Muhammed and behead non believers, rob caravans and rape women? Just saying.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
If it was only his sister and not ...[/joke] Jokes asides i know that he is trolling.
Shiting on Artus Legend is ok for some people, because it is secure and nobody will behead them, while shouting Admiral Ackbar. How about this devs make a game upon the life of Muhammad, where you can play as Muhammed and behead non believers, rob caravans and rape women? Just saying.

I'm with you on your concern for how they handle this. It'll probably have bugs like every Neocore game, but the writing, story, and interpretation of the myth is probably of more concern in how it's handled. After all: bugs can be fixed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3013441

First Stretch Goal Reached! New Playable Class: Sage Unlocked! | The Loyalty of Heroes | Social Goals Update

You are fantastic! Thanks to you, we've reached our first stretch goal, which means the sixth playable class, the Sage will be added to the game.

The Sage is a spell-casting unit, a kind of warrior-mage who casts mostly ice-based spells and blessings (opposed to the Arcanist who uses more fire-based spells and curses). This unit holds up better in a melee fight than the ranged units, but obviously not as well as melee-specialized classes. If we're able to reach our next target, PvP mode will be added to Knight's Tale as well!

41fcbcadbc3329a6d63ad83d7bc7369a_original.png

The Loyalty of Heroes
We already talked about the Personality and Traits of the heroes in King Arthur: Knight's Tale, and we touched upon the Morality Chart, a system that indicates your standing between ideologies. These various factors will influence your relationship with your heroes as well.

You can take many paths, but your decisions will shape what kind of king you will be in the long run. It’s safe to say that not every hero is going to admire the way you lead, but they will show camaraderie or distrust towards other heroes.

The loyalty of heroes depends on many factors. Each hero has a distinctive personality, and they will always act consistently. To ensure your heroes’ loyalty, you have to be mindful of this. You can settle disputes and grant favors to mitigate some of the wrongs you do with your decisions. It is your job to select heroes that are the best fit for your goals (and each other) at the Round Table.

Decisions that affect the loyalty can emerge from the story or various events: let’s say there’s a dispute, and by supporting the hero, you can gain their trust and loyalty. You can also strengthen loyalty by granting heroes pieces of land (represented by points of interests under your control) or various titles. You can also hold feasts and jousts or assist with wedding ceremonies!

Be mindful when going on a mission as well! Some heroes’ loyalty is perhaps strengthened by not sending them on certain missions.

Learning about the personality and traits of a hero will help you navigate this intricate web of relationships, and you can also find out what kind of artifacts you should gift to them. Some of them will be happier if they can take some of the treasure gained on missions, and some of them will be content only when they’re well equipped.

But what does this all mean? Well, loyalty has implications in the gameplay as well. Your most loyal heroes will receive various combat advantages and bonuses during quests. But if they have their doubts about you, it will be reflected in combat, at first with minor disadvantages. Heroes with more severe distrust can refuse to go on certain quests, some of them will even leave the Round Table permanently and turn against you!

So, there you have it: being a king is a harsh business! You have to nurture relationships in order to thrive. Find the right balance, but know that you can’t please everybody at once. Because of this, you can explore multiple „what if” scenarios with each playthrough. Work towards the loyalty of different heroes next time, and see how the shape of your story is altered with it!

New Social Goal Reward Unlocked
We've also unlocked another social reward, by reaching 18 social goals! The reward is a short story set in the Arthurian dark fantasy world of Knight's Tale, and it'll soon be available to read.

And finally, don't forget, we'll have an AMA on Reddit r/games next Monday, 3PM CET, and a live Q&A session next Tuesday, 4PM CET on Twitch.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Asking £90 for the game + all DLC is a bit much. I probably would have gone for £60 if I knew I was getting a full expansion like the roman empire expansion in the first king arthur game. I haven't bought a new game in ages: what are the final prices likely to be like these days folks? I'm assuming £30-40 for the base game, £15 or so for an expansion and then another £20 for minor DLC?.

Or have I been out of the loop for too long...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3014334

Stretch Goal #3 Revealed | Reddit AMA live now! | Recovery & Healing

Now that our first stretch goal is unlocked, and thanks to your help we're also very-very close to unlocking the next one (PvP mode!), it's time to reveal stretch goal number three: At £175,000 ($230,000) we're extending the campaign by adding 5 new story missions to the game. Thank you again for your amazing support!

Reddit AMA live now
We're now live on Reddit r/games, answering your questions regarding Knight's Tale. Feel free to drop by, just click here! If you can't make it, we'll also have a Q&A session tomorrow (Tuesday) 4PM CET / 10 AM ET on Twitch!

Recovery & Healing
Going on quests is a tiresome and dangerous venture for your heroes. In King Arthur: Knight’s Tale, every move, every decision, every mistake is permanent. No reloads… only regrets.

Fear not though, you can mitigate some of the damage you do to your heroes, and by extension, to your kingdom. For Camelot awaits even those who fail and fall, its special buildings can offer remedy to injuries and various curses.

In King Arthur: Knight’s Tale, you can assemble multiple parties, and it is necessary as well, because your heroes need some time off between missions. If they don’t rest, their vitality won’t recover, their broken limbs will not be mended. Sure, you can send them on a new mission immediately, but they won’t start with full HP, and you’ll be at a severe disadvantage!

This is why you have to always plan ahead! Manage your heroes knowing that they might not be able to go on subsequent missions. Preparation and knowledge of the missions is also very important. You must select the heroes best fit for the requirements and conditions of any given mission. Some heroes can even benefit by not going on a mission, even gain experience points in Camelot.

During missions, heroes have their own resistance against various conditions, but if their defence falls, some hits and spells can result in permanent injuries and illnesses. As long as their Injury Counter or Curse Counter is active, they will be fine, but with each new hit, this resistance slowly erodes.

In King Arthur: Knight’s Tale, there’s danger at every corner! Over 30 different negative status effects can be acquired, separated into two categories: Injuries and Curses.

It is your job to build the necessary facilities in Camelot to cure these ailments, and let your heroes take time for their recovery, so they can live longer to aid you on your search for the undying Arthur.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I'm hoping they bring back every knight that was in the first game. Choosing who lived or died was retarded. In the second game the Green Knight was just an NPC to be conquered: why would you do that?. I ended up just conquering everything around him, and just leaving hime there with his Dryads like a boss.

And I hope I'm not being too autistic by reading too much into "they can live longer to aid you on your search for the undying Arthur" in the sense that they can age. Because that would be retarded in the extreme. I played so many random battles in the first game and let so many turns go by that they would have been hundreds of years old by the time the game ended.

Nothing wrong with that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3016761

Second Stretch Goal Reached: PvP UNLOCKED! | Classes | Know Your Enemy - Warg & Worm of the Earth

We're in the last 24 hours of the campaign! On Thursday November 12, at around 2:40PM CET, the King Arthur: Knight's Tale Kickstarter campaign will be over. Thanks to you, we have reached our second stretch goal (at $195k), which means PvP battle gameplay will be added to the game. Every one of us is overwhelmed by your support! Thank you! There's still a chance that we can reach the third stretch goal. If that happens, we can extend the story campaign with an 5 new story missions.

About PvP mode: You will be able to use your heroes in the endgame to export them into PvP mode, where you'll be able to engage in a 4v4 scenario against human-controlled opponents. This mode would be available after finishing the campaign.

Classes
The best RPGs have multiple classes to choose from, and King Arthur: Knight’s Tale is no exception. We already talked about the the recovery system, the Morality Chart and the personality traits of your heroes, but you will also see that they come from different classes - and thanks to you, after reaching our first stretch goal, the number of classes is now six!

These are:

• Defender: A knight equipped with a sword and the shield, specializing in melee combat.
  • Champion: A knight equipped with a two-handed weapon, dealing the most damage per turn.
  • Marksman: A unit equipped with a ranged weapon, gaining advantage from a distance.
  • Vanguard: A scout-type unit equipped with two one-handed weapons, they can hide and ambush the enemy.
  • Arcanist: A spellcasting unit who can utilize (mostly fire-based) offensive spells and curses.
  • Sage (newly unlocked!): A spellcasting unit who can utilize (mostly ice-based) offensive spells and blessings.

Special heroes, will also have unique skills on top of their class abilities, which changes up how you will consider them for their tactical advantage. Sir Mordred, for example, is a Defender class knight who uses a sword and a shield, specializing in melee fights. But thanks to his Arcanist upbringing and bloodline, Mordred can conjure lightning to help the fight from afar.

When assembling a party, you should not only be aware of the various personality traits and morality of the characters, but make sure to utilize the versatility of the classes, having the best units for the requirements of the mission. Help them work together to maximize their potential on the battlefield!

Know Your Enemy
Since we're in the last 24 hours, and we still have some cool enemy units to show you, let's not hold ourselves back. We've mentioned these two below in our Twitch stream yesterday, but here they are again, with a proper short description:

Warg
b8d066cb5ef42b0e0649ba725933c52b_original.jpg

Fomorians are unlike any other monsters in Avalon. They are like nightmares coming to life, apparitions you only see in your feverish dreams. You can always discover something familiar in these gruesome amalgamations, hints of some mighty beasts that prowl the mortal world, but in such shape and form they will only appear in the wilds of Avalon. The blood-thirsty Wargs are among the most dangerous Fomorians you might encounter, and when you hear their howling song, you’d better run or pray.

Worm of the Earth
99228405d4f6ea8a2f531425dc70afea_original.jpg

Creatures from the dawn of time, these terrifying beasts were banished from the mortal worlds a very long time ago. But they are still burrowing deeper and deeper into the strange, malleable soil of Avalon, gnawing blindly on the fossilized dreams and nightmares buried in the very foundations of the mystical island – until someone with the right words and rituals calls them back to the surface.

Social Goals
We're also extremely close to our next social goal (a new Enemy Unit!), so make sure to join the community on our various platforms!

Facebook | Twitter | Reddit | Discord | Instagram | YouTube

Last but not least, you can check out our Reddit AMA here and our Q&A stream here, if you missed it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3018088

Kickstarter Campaign is over, THANK YOU!

King Arthur: Knight's Tale's Kickstarter campaign has ended and we want to express our gratitude to you all. Thank you for your support, your feedback, your comments and your questions. It means the world to us and we will do our best to meet your expectations! This was our first expedition to Kickstarter and we're all very happy how it went.

You helped us reach not just our funding goal, but also unlocked two awesome stretch goals. This means we'll add the Sage as a sixth playable class, and PvP mode as a cool optional gameplay mode. By subscribing and following our channels, you also helped to unlock cool extra additions, such as a Knight's Tale short story, or a cool Easter Egg (that we may or may not spoil), and even an additional enemy unit, which we'll reveal soon.

85dd3e22bc352b0ee60333afc742ee44_original.png

• Now that the campaign is over, we're turning our full focus to the game, and prepare for Early Access. Thanks to your support and funding we can now make Knight's Tale even better and bigger than initially imagined!
  • Steam keys for the game will be sent out via email once the Early Access version is available. You will need to activate it like any other Steam key - but we'll add the instructions in the email!
  • Higher tier rewards will also be distributed via email - make sure to check your accounts often!
  • We will do Kickstarter updates regularly to inform you about the progress of the project, and of course will keep you informed on our regular social media channels as well. We also plan to host Q&A streams, make developer blog posts, and overall create more content till Early Access hits. Your feedback is incredibly valuable, so even though the campaign is over, feel free to share your thoughts on any of our platforms: Facebook | Twitter | Reddit | Discord | Instagram | YouTube
  • We also have lots of content up on our own Community Hub - check it out!

Thank you again for your support and keep an eye out for more King Arthur: Knight's Tale news!

addc656e12284e91a757c0b079af9e58_original.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._to_Steam_Early_Access_on_January_12_2021.php

December 1, 2020 - Mark your calendars! We're happy to announce, that following its successful Kickstarter campaign, NeocoreGames' role-playing tactical game KING ARTHUR: KNIGHT'S TALE will be available on Steam Early Access on January 12, 2021.

Early Access allows us to work hand in hand with our players and implement changes to the game as we go, based on the feedback we receive from the community. The Early Access period will last for a few months, with regular content updates, followed by the full release on PC in early 2021 and later on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S / X.

Based on the Arthurian mythology, KING ARTHUR: KNIGHT'S TALE is a turn-based tactical role playing game - a unique hybrid between turn-based tactical games and traditional, character-centric RPGs. KING ARTHUR: KNIGHT'S TALE is a modern retelling of a classic Arthurian mythology story filtered through the dark fantasy tropes, a twist on the traditional tales of chivalry.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
This is certainly looking interesting. I like a lot of things I've seen so far, so I will be adding it to my wishlist. I am in particular interested in the "rogue-lite campaign" feature.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I need to start building up a GOG library instead of buying stuff on Steam that makes you jump through hoops to mod, or wont allow it at all. Look at how the 4GB patch didn't work on KA:TRPW when it was on Steam.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3046763

Know Your Enemy - Brigands | Survey Reminder

Hey everyone! Time for our next post-Kickstarter update! The plan is to do at least one update per week, as we're approaching Early Access, showing more and more from the game as we're getting close to January and mention anything Kickstarter-related when necessary. The development is progressing well, we can't wait to share more!

Know Your Enemy - Ironguard and Manhunter
5876da44415d22d0aeba18aebab9e98c_original.jpg

The once peaceful woods of Avalon have turned into gloomy forests, particularly dangerous for lone travelers and helpless villagers. Brigands prowl in the shadows of the trees and local lordlings gather small armies to pillage the land. Ironguards used to be the heavily armored vassals of the local knights, until they chose to become vicious enforcers in these warbands. Similarly to these brutes, Manhunters used to lead a more average life as simple hunters, but with the feuds between the various outlaw companies, they decided to make good use of their marksmanship and began to hunt down the enemies of the despicable knights who turned into brigand leaders.

7d86acd663a20154dd3dca29dfdcf01a_original.jpg

Survey Reminder
Our Kickstarter backer survey is already out there, and if you backed the game, we'll need an e-mail address from you for the Steam key sooner or later, and some other info if you backed a higher tier (the name you'd like to see in the credits for instance). So be sure to check the survey, when you log in to your Kickstarter account, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fill it. For those who've already done it, thanks for the quick response!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think this might not be coming out tomorrow. Can somebody post the backers-only update?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yep.

In the past few weeks, we've been working on delivering the Early Access version of Knight's Tale. After many hours invested, we're happy to say that we are getting very close to our first milestone, however, there's still a few features left to finalize and a few bumps to iron out. This means that we will have to push back the release of Knight's Tale's early access by a few days, to January 26. While we are aware that early access versions got their name for a reason, we want to ensure everything is polished and bugs are squashed before you begin your adventure in Avalon, and we need to a little more time to do that.. This was a hard decision to make, but we believe that this is what's best for Knight's Tale.

So what does this mean in practice? Kickstarter backers will receive their keys via email on (or a bit before) January 26, and will be able to start playing on the day of the Steam release on January 26.

The game will of course be updated regularly between that and the final release, but first, let's see what the initial build will contain at the Early Access launch!

2 story missions to start your journey in Avalon
  • 5 side quests to further hone your skills in battle
  • 4 heroes from 4 different classes around the Round Table
  • Some of the management functions, fit for the ruler of Camelot
  • And a thrilling intro cinematic
See you on the 26th!

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I’m a sucker for anything Arthurian so I’m excited to see this and a couple of other games slated for 2021 tackling the setting.

And it’s great that they try to give it an original twist, hopefully it gets the kids interested on King Arthur and who knows, maybe after a successful Netflix show based on the book inspired by the game we can finally get a sequel to
Vengeance of Excalibur

This game is still looking good. Glad to see that projectiles can be obstructed not merely by the environment but by other characters. It's about damn time.:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom