Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What's the worst non-RPG sequel ever?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rome II. Killed my enthusiasm for Creative forever.

I didn't buy it on release but only in 2019 with all DLCs and fully patched and several overhaul mods available, and it ended up being one of my favorite Total War games.

Farewell into the night

Heroes VI

(still, I do not know it's the worst sequel ever).

Reality

Learned
Majesty 2 -
Majesty is a surprisingly simple game that manages to feel unique because of the indirect control-only RTS thing it has -
Majesty 2 "technically" still has indirect control, but instead of the "roll against 100 and come up with own behaviour" thing you really need to bribe everyone into submission (possible in Maj1, but not neccesary since wandering/fighting decisions are higher up than shopping/stay at home on the decision table) - This by itself is pretty bad, but it also abandonds the low-number damage-range and monster HP system of Majesty and instead features Mammoth inflation - Going from a final boss with 500 HP to a final boss with 100,000, making attack upgrades have Damage increases instead of a +1 to hit(accuracy) per attack upgrade, and even making a clear hero progression system with "advanced" Temple heroes having literally 3x the base stats of normal heroes (the ONLY way to keep up with the overscaled bosses) -- The two things together mean that you get slapped with early game rush maps with no payoff for later when you finally get to see the more free-form sandbox levels, since the charm of the original does not appear - there is nothing to "watch" anymore, you just win the levels.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 -
RCT 2 is already on thin ice, since it's scenarios are terrible, and it's mostly redeemed by being the base for modern open ports mod/tools and basically still using the engine from RCT1 - RCT3 is technically built from the ground up but it's a disaster area.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5
I have half a mind to say Tony Hawk's American Wasteland instead, but I will admit that the Story-mode less portable version was an okay time waster for me personally.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I didn't buy it on release but only in 2019 with all DLCs and fully patched and several overhaul mods available, and it ended up being one of my favorite Total War games.

The release was something else. I do agree it's playable now with mods etc, but it's the engine also. It doesn't work too well I feel compared to the older games in the series, at least when it comes to melee engagement.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The release was something else. I do agree it's playable now with mods etc, but it's the engine also. It doesn't work too well I feel compared to the older games in the series, at least when it comes to melee engagement.

Yeah that's been an issue ever since Empire and has never fully been solved. Probably because of how they handle animations.

Silly Germans

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight
Lemmings Revolution
F.E.A.R. 2 and F.E.A.R 3. Both sucked balls in comparison to their predecessor.
Space Siege, although it might not be considered a sequel.
Worms 3D.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Master of Orion 3
It was the only logical conclusion from where MOO2 took the series, that game was the real culprit of decline. By growing bigger and more detailed even with patches you ended up with a game that either broke your mouse or played itself. MOO1 got it right, with heavily abstracted broad strokes planetary management and none of that Civilization bullshit which doesn't make any sense on a planetary scale anyway. Should a space emperor really have to worry about single spaceports and the specific facilities on each planet? For what MOO3 is its not even that bad. You either go for a boardgame style of game or Distant Worlds autism, everything in between is gay.

DraQ

Arcane
Same with Blood 2. The devs ran into financial issues and the publisher forced it out the door which caused its downfall so I don't count it. It wasn't insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard game.
Except it was.
The sheer, logic defying amount of jank wasn't by far the worst thing in Blood 2.
The worst thing is how soulless and unatmospheric it was.
It's not something that happens because of running out of funds.

I could keep going but am bored now. Also people saying Quake 2 lol.
Actually...
insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard game
...fits Q2 to a T.
It's fucking soulless, has shit atmosphere and nothing in common with Q1 (I guess this fills the 'insulting' part), and I'd say that being so easy that if someone consoled you a godmode when you were AFK, you'd have a decent chance of not noticing that until credits definitely qualifies as a retard game.

The only parts of Q2 not fitting hare are multiplayer and the fact that it was very competently made in a technical and even largely design sense. But soulless and retard friendly? Yup, that's Q2.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Same with Blood 2. The devs ran into financial issues and the publisher forced it out the door which caused its downfall so I don't count it. It wasn't insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard game.
Except it was.
The sheer, logic defying amount of jank wasn't by far the worst thing in Blood 2.
The worst thing is how soulless and unatmospheric it was.
It's not something that happens because of running out of funds.

I could keep going but am bored now. Also people saying Quake 2 lol.
Actually...
insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard game
...fits Q2 to a T.
It's fucking soulless, has shit atmosphere and nothing in common with Q1 (I guess this fills the 'insulting' part), and I'd say that being so easy that if someone consoled you a godmode when you were AFK, you'd have a decent chance of not noticing that until credits definitely qualifies as a retard game.

The only parts of Q2 not fitting hare are multiplayer and the fact that it was very competently made in a technical and even largely design sense. But soulless and retard friendly? Yup, that's Q2.
Actually...
insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard codexer
...fits DraQ to a T.
He's fucking soulless, has shit intelligence and nothing in common with dragons (I guess this fills the 'insulting' part), and I'd say that being so dumb that if someone stole his avatar when he was AFK, you'd have a decent chance of not noticing that until he returned definitely qualifies as a retard codexer.

The only parts of DraQ not fitting hare are scaliness and the fact that he has a deviantart account. But soulless and retarded? Yup, that's DraQ.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
For me it would be Settlers 5. Such a huge disappointment. Also HOMM5

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Myth 3, HoMM 4 and the game that brought Panzer General into 3d, forgot the title.

Q2 disappointed because it wasn't really a sequel and turned everything into super bland and low iq humans versus robots thing, but the game itself was OK.

I remember being really turned off by Dungeon Keeper 2 when it came out after loving the first one so much, but in hindsight I admit it's not a bad game.

Recent thing: don't know if it counts as a sequel, but Planetfall is turbo lame and huge decline after Age of Wonders 3.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Victoria 2 was a big step backwards in many ways. Micromanaging the population and industry of provinces in the first game was fun and satisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom