Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Deleted Member 22431

You can't basically win Ironman if you don't remember/know who is doing/having what, and that's a bit... disapointing.
That's why I never play ironman. It's a stupid challenge people endure just to brag about it. I could endure all kinds of crazy shit, but that would only mean I was desperate for approval.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it's interesting to play safely, not making mistakes, always hving bacckup plan etc.
But some things could be only well, remmebered?
This Democritus have best hammer, with that baff that gives additional damage from eeeee.... wetstone? or something.
He shouldn't be allowed to freely swing his hammer - only when he is in netted.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, log sometimes doesn't log your actions - I shot some lying on the ground enemy and log was silent about that.

Also, another major thing, that prevet successful Ironman runs - I can't see in which order who will act in NEXT turn after first untill I finished my turn.
Maybe there is explanation for that somewhere in game, but - you cant see that at the top of the screen where "queue" of combat is.

It cuased another death, third after Democritus in a fight with Scaurus - there is two with ranged weapon, I can easily eliminate one with crossbow, and I thought - I'll survive one turn and his one arrow, and on next turn I'll get him. Nope - he acted after me in that turn, and then he acted FIRTS on next turn, so PC ate two arrows and died, as he only have 5 dodge.
And you can see order according to which everyone will be acting only after your character pushed End Turn button.

Also another bug someone mentioned on steam - if enemy dies from bleeding and poison in same time, you get double EXP. I recall I have heard about it, I thought it was fixed, but past about that dated as January 2019...

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, can someone point me at alchemist guide so I could know what doing what, and answer this question - do constructs suck out your skill points rewarded after a fight like other living NPC?

Also I remember, when I last time did Ironman run with spear, somehtign was wrong with acid that suppose to melt DR from constructs but that didn't happened, so my 4 Str spearman died...was it fixed?

PS Actually the only thing I need to know about alchemy is Liquid Fire Vial Burning only deal burning damage for 3 turns or it is actualy burning on the ground for that time? This is a little unclear from game and guides for me.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I can answer them - constructs do get sp.

I finished another run with full party as 10 Charisma crossbower, 5 in Dodge, 8 Crit, 10 Crossbow.
What to say - it was good in the beginning, and almost till the end-game - crossbow feels very rewarding when couple dwith Crit, so I put aside any defencive measures and poured everything in attack.
But! in the very last part of game, after Emperor, my formidable crossbower turned into a pumpkin - he couldn't do a shit to enemies there, the only useful thing he could do was Snipe, also he could still eliminate things like bowman and such lightly armored guys. He couldn't do arteria strike reliable, and on some guys - like final legion assault - he couldn't even do torso shot, because of shields and armor.
For some of them I had around 30-40 THC, but like ~10% crit +-5%.
That was disapointing, because Nomatter what I couldn't gather enough SP for 10 Crit.
The fights - died in fights with- Democritus, then figth before Scaurus, in fight with Scaurus (also I did this fight afte that like 10-15 times to get RELIABLE strategy that doesn't rely on dices roll), did fight with Enforcer from first try, but did it agian because Ismail died for my technical mistake - I forgot to craft bleed-stoping balm so he died form bleed. Did Emperor fight from first try, then did it again a few times with and without demon in team, and to find reliable strategy again - for me it was this - you need to eliminate crossbowman and bowman/archer in first turn, which is easy, and only then focur on Emperor, Macrus on the right flank vs guy with two-handed axe, at the end of the turn he should be near guy in wolf head hat, Ingvard is tanking Emperor and two other guys, Marcus and Ingvard using Hemostasis, Ingvard throwing net on Emperor, PC throwing bolo on already netted Emperor, then few arteria strikes - easy!
Also, fight with constructs near heal machine... there my team died many times lol - 4-5 times. Marcus can't tank consctructs, he even can't come close th them. Ingvard can tank them as long as he want and my PC could use him as cover, but shooting construct is moving, so it's actually hard to use Ingvard as cover. Used there repared construct as cannon fodder.
Assault was easy due bombs and consumables.
So Almost Ironman run (with 7-8 reloads :lol:).

P.S. Also there is a bug - you can't poison arrows with last poison wth prolonged effect - it only poison 1 arrow in stack.

P.P.S. So... yeah it was cool almost till the end. I didn't like that my crossbowman turned into useless alchemy user/SNIPE! user in the end.

P.P.P.S. Also I tried sword build solo - with 10 Dex Per Con and dodge it's amazing early on, like the most powerful in early-game. These Whirlwinds... like 30 damage for 12 AP ahah.
But I couldn't find any reliable strategy to win Barka fight. This mean I won't play build that relies on dices. If you know this strategy - you are welcome to tell it.
Tried sword-block build, but with 10 Con, Dex Int - well,I think this build could win Barka fight, but it have problems with wounded centipede in cave - can't win that fight reliably, also have troubles with ant queen. I could use bobms for that, but I dont like that idea. But maybe I shoudl?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I've been making some solo runs lately (I don't like party based RPGs so yeah). I reaffirm myself that the game is poorly balanced for solo runs (in the highest difficulty). I've seen Vince explaining that it's an additional challenge but IMO if you include a mode in your game, it needs to be balanced. Some quick thoughts:

-I haven't played ranged builds with this mode so I'll speak about the rest of weapons; but I guess crossbow can be very good since STR can be dumped entirely, though early game must be hell with lack of ammo.
-For solo runs, block is king. I've always been a dodge supporter in AoD but DR has changed the way I see shield. A dodge character in solo will invariably have a hard time. Only times I reached the end game with a dodge build has been with DEX based weapons (knife, sword, spear), since dodge itself benefits from DEX and those weapons have very useful effects for solo. With sword/knife the constructs are a total bitch to deal with though since they can't bleed. A dodge+hammer or axe build is a real nightmare (at least in the beginning), specially axe because the first 2 handed axe you get is through Reinhardt. In fact, axe and spear get absolute dogshit of choices (or lack of) in the early game compared with other weapons. To this point I haven't been able to get past Barca with dodge/axe, the weapon's special ability is one of the least adequate for early game. Ranged enemies also buttfuck the hell out of dodge characters. The usual way to play this game in solo is to pump defense first at the cost of making fights too tedious, yet dodge doesn't benefit as much as block because it doesn't activate as often. My recommendation is to avoid hammer/axe at all if you go the dodge route.

-Smoothest playthrough has been a spear/shield combo. Your attack will stink until mid-game, spear choice is bad enough even accounting for 2 handed spears, but 1 handed spears are even worse. You'll be stuck with the initial weapon for a LONG time- but shield and interrupt attacks will keep you alive until you get a good weapon.
-IMO crafting in solo isn't as useful as it seems; it has its uses with a party because every member needs stuff, but for solo you'll get plenty for your character and given the gated progression of item acquisition, you'll never be a step ahead the enemy in terms of equipment. Put those points in critical strike/alchemy instead.
-Speaking of alchemy, it's an obligatory skill in this game and specially in solo, because there aren't enough rations to go around. I'm not fond of skills that are a must in any roleplaying game because, well, they limit roleplaying. Put a minimum of 4 points in this. In late fights you'll roleplay a fricking wizard because alchemy is absolutely needed for some enemies (specially enemy alchemists and fuckers with nets), unless you want to be hit by 30 points at the beginning of the fight. Also constructs.
-INT is somewhat important, 4 int always seem to a low ceiling build. You'll need skill points, absolutely not a dumping stat. 10 is a waste.

-Generally speaking, balanced builds with good perception seem to be the most successful ones I've tried; doing stuff like a brute with 10 str/10 end will end up badly.
-Fights against creatures are the most inane shit, and half the game is comprised of them. Welp. They're manageable with a party but with one character they often have no strategy at all, mostly because using items on them are a waste so you get a mindless exchange of blows (and antidote applying).
-In conclusion, solo is not for roleplaying at all. You'll need to min/max carefully and build a specific playstyle to be successful, with a heavy focus on defense above attack, constant reloading to get the most optimum results (because again health and resources are VERY limited in the game), and in true AoD style, leave some skill points unspent just in case. With a quick rebalancing (more rations, better early choices for some weapons) this mode would have been MUCH better without stripping out the challenge of every individual fight.

Üstad

Arcane
I have spent 22 hours to play this game, so finally the end.

I have made a 10 charisma build and buddie'd the glowing stone demon and rekt aurellien legion. At the end I negotiated with the centurion and he took me to Gaelius, due to misclick I couldn't read the end but from what I read I became advisor of Gaelius, I wonder what happened to my companions and demon buddy though

By the way how can I reach the different endings?

Obviously keep fighting is also an option, I mean the rest of the endings.

Last edited:

Ereshkigal

Educated
AFAIK there are 4 endings

-The normal one (you beat everyone, you wander through the wasteland)
-The one that Whisper told about, needs very high charisma
-The one Üstad did
-Agreed with the centurion to let the others escape at the cost of your life (charisma 6? I don't remember)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Man, it's always weird when a developer has to point out the kind of game they developed because people cannot into reading.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/eventcomments/1631916887486985673

Lately we’ve been getting a lot of negative reviews from people disappointed with Dungeon Rats because it is just a tactical combat game and lacks the storytelling and quest design we had in The Age of Decadence.

Disappointing players who bought our game hoping to enjoy it and have a good time is bad enough, but worst of all is to disappoint someone who was previously a fan of our work.

So, first, let’s start with a prominent disclaimer that hopefully will make sure that no one buys Dungeon Rats expecting something more than what it is:

Dungeon Rats offers nothing but tactical combat for people who like tactical combat a lot. If you don’t like tactical combat or if you want more than just combat, I’d suggest skipping this game and buying something else. While we do want to sell more copies, we don't want people disappointed with what they buy.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I was afraid Dungeon Rats would have as much redding as AoD but I tried it anyway (mainly to appear cool to the ppl of RPGCodex) and was pleasantly surprised that it's mainly combat. Imo quests are bad if you have to read a lot or remember stuff, so DR was a nice change of pace.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ugh, bros, I'm replaying the game now.

I forgot how to handle constructs. I play solo Spear + Dodge and barely hit through their armor and they usually crit me p. fast. What are their weaknesses in current state of the game?

Also, armor penalty – does it affect dodge chance?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I use the same spear Eyestabber uses here, but my interrupt attacks do 0 damage and regular attacks barely do any damage at all. I think this stuff was rebalanced.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I use the same spear Eyestabber uses here, but my interrupt attacks do 0 damage and regular attacks barely do any damage at all. I think this stuff was rebalanced.

But do you also have the same strength as his char and used a whetstone?

I have 7 STR and I tried using whetstone. Almost all of it goes to interrupts attacks which do not do damage.

Trash Player

Scholar
Interrupts are nerfed from a full quick attack to roughly one-third but poison still works. It is still a super powerful defensive tool.

Trash Player

Scholar
I finished the med room and Emperor with your save.
Just hit torso and step back out of interruption range. Done them within 2 tries. No consumables other than whetstone used. (Edit: I meant for the mandatory construct fights, oops)
Used up most strong liquid fire on the med room. Used the remaining 2 bombs and bolas on the Emperor himself. Spammed stims on both fights. Alchemy upped to 6. (Edit: These 2 fights took a handful of tries for each. It was still a RNG fest for solo even if figured out, so to speak)
Thought quite hopeless but 25% defence bonus saves the day. Link to saves

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom