Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redacted

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Redacted

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wah another quality oldie i couldn't understand

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And if there's a group of pinko troublemakers holding a meeting, there's nothing the boys like better than popping along and introducing them all to their maker with a Kalashnikov package holiday.
:terminate:

Cool-looking game, kinda like a more unscrupulous Covert Action.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Your LPs have been fire lately. Loving the old, usually flawed, political DOS games. Do you know Crisis in the Kremlin?

Floor 13 is awesome, although kind of difficult to understand what you're supposed to be doing. Usually I just abuse FAQs. I love how cynical the game is, with most of the dialogue conveyed through profanity and the PM yelling at you.

A remake is also in the works apparently, but has been for some time now: https://agriculture-and-fisheries.tumblr.com/

Also, there's a different aspect of the game:

You sometimes get assignments from a different employer, the Illuminati-style secret society that your main character is secretly a part of. Not sure if you've encountered that yet. Their tasks often conflict with your assignments for the British government.

tindrli

Arcane
damn soooo much memories with this game. played it when i was a kid on amiga.. most of the time i didnt knew what i was dooing and still played a shit of it!!!. Thank you Mr Kalin

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You killed a mistress just like that? Ice cold

mOH1sfC.png
More pls

Last edited:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Cheers! It is funny you mention Crisis in the Kremlin because I was actually planning a Let's Play of it earlier this year, only to get derailed trying to figure out how to win the game as hard-line *without* exploiting the debt bubble (a Russian bro has made excellent videos on that ingenious strategy here and here). Now, I did not want to go that route because firstly, it has already been done, and secondly, mounting debt will eventually cause game over, typically sometime in the late 90s, whereas I wanted to go on playing for as long as possible.

It all comes down to the nationalist coup which inevitably triggers in the early 90s due to hard-coded popularity boosts (quite annoying when you have purposely selected reformist/hard-line options that reduce nationalist support). You only have two ways to resist: appealing to the army or the people. For the latter you need massive citizen satisfaction and you never get that as hard-line. Army support continues to elude me - is it based on political strength, bribes to troops/generals or what exactly? I still cannot make sense of it.

Playing as reformist or nationalist is of course an option but it is simply too easy. Trivial, really, because the game is bugged in regards to hard-line coups (you can just cut a deal and stay in power). Had a good run as Yeltsin on my first serious try but ended up nuking China out of boredom.

For general information on the game and various downloads I strongly recommend Leon's Crisis in the Kremlin page - it hosts mods that restore cut events, very nice for flavour although most do not actually carry in-game consequences. Also I should mention that the game was extremely rushed; loading a save will actually re-play events from the beginning (a truly bizarre and often game-wrecking experience). All that said it is still very enjoyable and I will likely make a Let's Play eventually unless someone beats me to it.

Yeah, that site is nice.

I hadn't actually seen the exploit in the videos before. My quarantine ennui is now getting to the point where I'll watch guys play a game while talking in a language I can barely understand for >2 hours. Thanks!

If I understand correctly, the idea is that you simply keep pumping money into raw materials, the excess is then sold off, allowing you to finance other departments and keeping the Warsaw Pact and USSR intact? Also I never realised that changing the budget multiple times a year had some sort of effect, not sure what they're actually doing here. In any case this seems to allow the hardline player to survive until 1992, but after that they resign. I guess they wouldn't make it to 2017.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Played a few games last night. You have to be a bit lucky with which events you get. Very easy to get swamped with negative press just days before the next polling benchmark. Also sometimes smearing anti-government organisations works, sometimes it doesn't.

Eventually I got lucky and did quite well, with the government at a whopping 67% in the polls at some point. But I got too enthusiastic and after one break-in too many, I got a face full of pavement courtesy of Mr Garcia. Fuck. This actually happened just at the point when I was thinking: "Wait, this is overkill, I should just sit this event chain out... Ah what the hell, let's do it one more time".

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This LP inspired me to check out the game and it's really fun. Crashed on me though and half the time you're completely in the dark. I have no idea what I'm doing and I keep sending everyone to the interrogation room. Is this how the real deep state operates? Explains a lot. Right now I'm spying on a dog-hater and will probably send him to the pain room just to be sure, can't trust anyone, he seems connected to a secret society.

oscar

Arcane
This and Deus Ex are the only things that spring to mind of the conspiracy theorism played straight. It's a lot of fun too (and mixes undoubtedly true things, political weaponisation of the press etc, with the zanier).

lightbane

Arcane
This has been a fun read. Are you going for the "standard" ending, or the evil(er?) Egyptian secret cult one?
I remember trying this long ago, but I found it quite obtuse and hard to know what you're supposed to do. It seems to be the case, as you don't even know what exactly happens at the end of a case. According to reviews it is the same thing in the Steam game, if not worse.
As for being a parody, judging how the plot of Desu Ex is happening nowadays in real time, I wouldn't be surprised if Britain had such an actual murderous black ops organization to ensure democracy "works".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom