Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
caves of chud is everything wrong with where roguelikes went

used to be dungeon crawlers with simple one or two step quests that thrived on procedural generation written by very clever people with mainframe access

now they are made by spergs surviving on government handouts and furry incels that only wants to simulate toenail growth

what the fuck man

buffalo bill

Arcane
REGULAR UPDATE by Caves of Qud
POSTED
Sat, October 31
Feature Friday - October 30, 2020

• The "Prerelease Stage Screen" option was renamed "Enable modern UI elements." and moved to the top of the Overlay options. It's now enabled by default.
  • The options for prerelease stage scale and overlay UI scale were merged.
  • Extradimensional items are no longer excslusively unmoddable.
  • Sitting in chairs now respects phase and flight.
  • Item naming events are now more likely to appear in the [redacted] made about your [redacted].
  • NPCs no longer use quest item tonic injectors.
  • Updated the love tonic success logic.
  • Killing a jilted lover now ends any Stuck effects caused by it.
  • Becoming out of phase with a jilted lover that's grabbing you now releases you.
  • You can now throw tonic injectors at creatures to inject them.
  • Made improvised thrown weapons perform slightly better.
  • The depth limit at which radio-powered energy cells can receive satellite power is once again functional.
  • Smart use on a sleeping NPC now brings you to their interaction menu instead of attempting to initiate a conversation with them.
  • NPCs now terminate Sunder Mind if they become allied toward the creature whose mind they are sundering.
  • When trading with Sheba Hagadias, non-book items no longer have a non-functional Read action available.
  • Thirst thistles can no longer impose an unlimited degree of negative hydration on you.
  • Gyrocopter backpacks now repel nearby gases while engaged, similar to wrist fans.
  • Only one corrected vision effect is now visible on a given creature regardless of how many vision-corrective devices they are wearing.
  • Angry baetyls no longer explode at will. They do still explode after taking enough damage.
  • Stairs now have ascend/descend interaction commands that tell you to use < and > if you haven't remapped them, as a new player UI discovery backstop.
  • Improved some techscanning-viewable item component names in Stopsvalinn and anti-gravity boots.
  • Damage taken by a clone made of your original body while using Domination no longer breaks your Domination.
  • Domination is now interrupted by any negative effect on your original body, no longer excluding "minor" effects.
  • Being Phased now ends immediately upon moving to the world map.
  • Phasing can no longer be activated on the world map.
  • Phasing in within a solid object on the world map no longer has any effect.
  • When a tonic injector is applied to a creature involuntarily, it's no longer described as if the creature applied it voluntarily.
  • When an equipped tonic injector is applied, you no longer get a message about it being unequipped.
  • Cooking effects and shade oil tonic used by mutants no longer randomly phase you while you're on the world map.
  • The "auto-collect liquid" interaction command is now displayed as "stop auto-collecting liquid" when you are currently auto-collecting and using the command to turn it off.
  • Pressing "o" in the trade screen with no items selected to trade now displays "Nothing to trade." rather than "Trade complete!"
  • Trash is now highlighted in the alt display if you have Scavenger or Trash Divining.
  • You no longer have to unequip and reequip equipment that grants flight after you identify it in order to use its flying ability.
  • You can now start and stop flying with flight-granting equipment by using the appropriate activate interaction command.
  • Improved the language used when baetyls demand quantities of items described using mass nouns.
  • Tweaked internal conveyor logic to reduce unneccessary zone construction.
  • Fixed a bug that caused aquatic creatures to sometimes spawn on bridges.
  • Fixed a stat change bug with temporary stat modifiers that resulted in ever increasing HP.
  • Fixed thrown weapon damage appearing twice in the message log.
  • Fixed a bug that occasionally crashed the game on some zone loads in the Tomb of the Eaters.
  • Fixed a bug caused some tar pool zones to generate without their zone name.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some lair zone names to include their "surface" designation twice.
  • Fixed a bug that caused liquid-covered and liquid-stained items to lose track of the liquids covering them after a save/load.
  • Fixed some scenarios where your original body could begin acting under AI control while using Domination.
  • Fixed a bug that could make the equipment screen inaccessible under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Amnesia to try and fail to forget unforgettable events.
  • Fixed several issues with clones and mutation-granting equipment.
  • Fixed some scattered prerelease UI scaling issues.
  • Fixed stinger printing unequip messages when its mutation rank changed.
  • Fixed minor bug in Agyra's dialog.
  • Fixed a typo in Vivira's conversation.
  • Fixed a village history typo.
  • Fixed a typo in low wall description.
  • Fixed cannibal cherub's display name.
  • Fixed the color of frog cherub.
  • Fixed a typo in shade oil tonic's effect description for true kin.
  • Fixed a misconfiguration that caused mashed lag and sun-dried banana to be treated as grammatically plural.
  • Fixed some message formatting issues when equipped items are lost to dismemberment.
  • [modding] Fixed an exception in character creation when the player's body blueprint had the Genotype property set.

202.3 - 'beta' branch

• Collapsed categories in the inventory will now persist on save load & won't be forgotten when afflicted with confusion.
  • [modding] On case-sensitive platforms, manifest.json is no longer required to be lower-case.
  • [modding] Worlds.xml now supports self-closing tags.

PrettyDeadman

caves of chud is everything wrong with where roguelikes went

used to be dungeon crawlers with simple one or two step quests that thrived on procedural generation written by very clever people with mainframe access

now they are made by spergs surviving on government handouts and furry incels that only wants to simulate toenail growth

what the fuck man
Yet caves of qud is great and can stand on its own compared to roguelikes of old.
The same can be said about autistic overly complex roguelikes like dwarf fortress or cdda.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, November 7
Feature Friday - November 7, 2020

• New items: wristcomp, turbow, a variety of arrows.
  • New implant: palladium electrodeposits.
  • New helmet and mask mod: fitted with filters.
  • NPCs no longer choose to use most tonic injectors as thrown weapons.
  • Many liquid vessels now leak if broken.
  • Waterbeds now break if someone with Quills sleeps in them.
  • Some biotechnological items and components are now identified or displayed via bioscanning rather than techscanning.
  • Stun gas stunning now appears in the message log.
  • Floating text for critical hits will now only be displayed if the hit results in damage or a special effect.
  • Lunging while in aggressive or dueling stances will now correctly trigger a Stinger strike.
  • Socially Repugnant no longer affects trade prices.
  • Compound bows now correctly enable Strength bonuses to penetration.
  • Kickback now respects phase and flight, and does not affect inanimate objects, sessile creatures, or creatures a kick would not affect such as holograms.
  • Baetyls no longer ask for portions of steel boots.
  • Point-defense drones now always return to your inventory when they become inoperative.
  • Sheba Hagadias is now able to provide you with directions if you are lost.
  • Charging no longer gives the player a warning when charging through liquid hazards.
  • Dismember can no longer be used when stuck or frozen.
  • Wrecking Charge can no longer be activated on the world map.
  • The Regeneration mutation can now regrow your tongue if you have drunk the Flaming Ick, but will not regenerate your tongue otherwise.
  • Using an ubernostrum tonic or other regenerative intervention while infected with an early stage of glotrot will no longer tell you your tongue regrew if you have not yet lost your tongue.
  • The [redacted] no longer spawns in every map surrounding [redacted].
  • The lair of Oboroquru no longer has odd dot-like tiles under some terrain features.
  • Trying to trade items with a creature that has no inventory now gives a message rather than failing silently.
  • Spinnerets no longer starts a cooldown when toggling the ability off.
  • Fixed an issue causing NPCs to improperly evaluate shields during auto-equip.
  • Fixed an issue causing textures to load from disabled mods.
  • Fixed an issue causing textures to not properly hotload when changing mod configuration.
  • Fixed a crash in the secret ascii editor.
  • Fixed an issue that made flaming and freezing ray fail to affect the most distant square of their range.
  • Fixed biodynamic power plant displaying debug internals information regardless of whether debug internals was on.
  • Fixed some bugs in Stunning Force, in particular an action cost being assessed when it pushed you against a solid object.
  • Fixed some issues with creatures being unable to act for several turns after spawning because they were assessed an action cost to equip their initial gear.
  • Fixed a typo in the manual.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause an error trying to continue a game after having deleted a different save file.
  • Fixed an issue where various walkways had a higher rendering priority than appropriate, which made some items get hidden by them and made the squares they were in not be considered "empty" for purposes such as companions joining you in a zone.
  • Fixed an issue that made it possible to give energy weapon relics the Jacked mod by deploying turrets using them.

202.5 - 'beta' branch

• The modern message log window will now remember it's position and other settings
  • The modern message log window will now be properly clamped to the screen area
  • The modern message log window will now properly clear only the old messages when starting a new game with the message log hidden
  • Collapsed categories in the inventory will now persist on save load & won't be forgotten when afflicted with confusion.
  • [modding] On case-sensitive platforms, manifest.json is no longer required to be lower-case.
  • [modding] Worlds.xml now supports self-closing tags.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I, for one, am glad they focus on important features like making sure waterbeds pop when someone with quills sleeps on them, instead of continuing the actual game to completion. Priorities straight as always.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I, for one, am glad they focus on important features like making sure waterbeds pop when someone with quills sleeps on them, instead of continuing the actual game to completion. Priorities straight as always.
Priorities!
[*]Excluded some offensive words from generated text results.

Rakshar

Educated
Patron
Priorities!
I hope they banned truly offensive words like templar! Otherwise they are just continuing to enable speciesism!

lightbane

Arcane

They are also fixing bugs that should have been fixed from day 1. Seeing that water is so important, liquid vessels leaking when broken should have been a feature from the start, not a hideous self-insert abomination who rants in pronouns.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Priorities!
I hope they banned truly offensive words like templar! Otherwise they are just continuing to enable speciesism!
I'd be curious to see what "offensive" words came up through the random generator.

PrettyDeadman

Current priority (milestone) is stated to be improved gui and they seem to be making progress on it. As far as continuing the game to completion - you can actually finish the game and achieve minor victory since tomb of the eaters update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I am trying to get into this game, bought it the other day on Steam.

I don't know how I feel about it yet. Got about 5 hours in.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I am trying to get into this game, bought it the other day on Steam.

I don't know how I feel about it yet. Got about 5 hours in.
Playing True Kin finally clicked for me. A mutant playthrough works when you've gotten adjusted to the game.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Yeah I rolled a True Kin Praetorian -- sword and board type, generally my default when I'm trying a game out for the first time.

I very much like the "aesthetic" of the lore and story. I appreciate games that mix sci-fi and fantasy weirdness in future/past earths, ala Gene Wolfe. But as I'm getting into the game, I'm learning there is a whole subculture (there usually is) and the developer is an SJW furry, or something? I also came across a bunch of steam reviews which were quite obviously brigaded and/or organized, I'm assuming in response to something that happened? Someone explain this to me.

Yeah I rolled a True Kin Praetorian -- sword and board type, generally my default when I'm trying a game out for the first time.

I very much like the "aesthetic" of the lore and story. I appreciate games that mix sci-fi and fantasy weirdness in future/past earths, ala Gene Wolfe. But as I'm getting into the game, I'm learning there is a whole subculture (there usually is) and the developer is an SJW furry, or something? I also came across a bunch of steam reviews which were quite obviously brigaded and/or organized, I'm assuming in response to something that happened? Someone explain this to me.

Hell broke loose when Sseth reviewed the game and elaborated on how he was banned from the game's discord due to wrongthink. I suppose you can sum things up from there on.

Rafidur

Learned

It was split into a different thread:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ned-ssethtzeentach-from-their-discord.135627/

Example of their discord mods:

ZZua3L8.png

The dev is also a crazy person with similar opinions.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Jesus Christ these people just think everything and everyone is a fascist. The word doesn't even mean anything anymore. They would see fascists in a box of graham crackers -- simultaneously exhibiting actual fascist tendencies themselves, meanwhile. Idiots.

There's even a "It's current year!" reference. They have creamed-corn for both brains and spines, and they appear to be made in a factory. Why do they all sound the same? Why do they all say the same underwhelming shit?

lightbane

Arcane
There's even a "It's current year!" reference. They have creamed-corn for both brains and spines, and they appear to be made in a factory. Why do they all sound the same? Why do they all say the same underwhelming shit?

Welcome to the "NPC meme is real" situation. If you pay attention, you'll notice that many indie games blatantly copy previous indie games that are somewhat successful or popular, such as Undertale, the Disco Commiessium's dialogue tree style, the art style being a blatant derivative of Hollow Knight and so on.
Fake pixel art and copying Dark Souls (or "Soulsborne" as how they call it nowadays) is also quite common, unfortunately,

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, November 14
Feature Friday - November 13, 2020

• Segmented mirthworms, knollworms, plated knollworms, worms of the earth, and leeches now leave corpses more often.
  • Butchering knollworm corpses now produces knollworm skulls less often.
  • Tweaks the stats, trade value, tile colors, and descriptions of the new arrow ranks.
  • Wristcomps are now wrist calcs and have a new description.
  • Permadeath-related options now appear at top of the debug options list.
  • Entering Grit Gate via alternative routes such as recoilers/tunneling will now track for A Canticle for Barathrum/A Signal in the Noise.
  • Recoilers now give better feedback for various failure conditions when they are non-functional.
  • Elevator platforms are now more resistant to elemental damage and do not catch fire or vaporize readily.
  • Being stuck because of being grabbed by a mimic now goes away when the mimic does.
  • The word "chitin", should pluralization be applied to it even though it is a mass noun rather than a singular noun, no longer pluralizes as "chitins".
  • The previously announced new mod, fitted with filters, now actually appears in the game.
  • All build codes are now uppercase.
  • Added an annotation to the prerelease content option to clarify that it requires a restart.
  • Added a journal entry for the discovery of the flattened remains.
  • You can now compliment Sparafucile on his masterwork carbine while wielding it.
  • Increased the maximum player name length.
  • Removed the display of trader trade drams remaining.
  • Feral lah pods now respect the "calm" wish.
  • Your throwing aim can no longer be overcorrected by your Agility bonus.
  • Vomiting now has an action cost.
  • Items that are on fire, covered in lava, or being dissolved by acid can no longer be traded.
  • Fixed some bugs that resulted in inexplicably being held responsible for companions' deaths.
  • Fixed a bug causing turrets to attack autoexploring players without a chirp warning.
  • Fixed a bug causing multiple sessile creatures (ex. lurking beth) to stack in a single square.
  • Fixed a bug causing multiple pieces of furniture to stack in a single square.
  • Fixed a bug causing relic chests to spawn on top of other furniture and statues.
  • Fixed a bug causing too many crematory levels to be generated when urn dusters are active.
  • Fixed a bug causing some saves in [redacted] to fail to load
  • Fixed a bug causing conservators to attack one another.
  • Fixed a bug causing random cookbooks to be targets of Klanq's quest.
  • Fixed a crash when using Stopsvalinn on your own cell.
  • Fixed a bug causing some teleport vfx to play in non-active zones.
  • Fixed a bug causing too many crematory levels to be generated when urn dusters are active.
  • Fixed a bug causing some saves in [redacted] to fail to load.
  • Fixed a bug causing crashes in the Tomb of the Eaters.
  • Fixed a crash when using Stopsvalinn on your own cell.
  • Fixed a bug causing pets to disappear when wishing "rebuild".
  • Fixed a bug with cloneling clone names.
  • Fixed a bug causing an error when attacking creatures with brackets in their name.

202.6 - 'beta' branch

• Added the minimap to the modern ui
  • Added the nearby items list to the modern ui
  • Added tooltips to the modern ui
  • Cooking with acid-based effects now grant the proper gas generation mutation.

lightbane

Arcane
The word "chitin", should pluralization be applied to it even though it is a mass noun rather than a singular noun, no longer pluralizes as "chitins".

Truly a change worth the update.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The word "chitin", should pluralization be applied to it even though it is a mass noun rather than a singular noun, no longer pluralizes as "chitins".

Truly a change worth the update.
shield your sensitive eyes, the update contains the word "noun"
Now we know that that wasn't one of the naughty words that got the chop in an earlier update.

buffalo bill

Arcane
POSTED
Sat, November 21
Feature Friday - November 20, 2020

• Added tiles for arrows, lead slugs, shotgun shells, missiles, and Schrodinger pages.
  • Bats now have wings.
  • Feral lah pods now respect phase.
  • Forced drinking can no longer make you vomit indefinitely and lose an infinite number of turns.
  • Autoexplore no longer requires you to leave a square with a painted or engraved item in it before looking at it.
  • Sound will now propagate through non-occuluding walls such as forcefields or fences.
  • The turn count of Long Blade's En Garde! is now cardinal as opposed to ordinal.
  • The wishes godown and goto no longer toggle calm.
  • Removed orphaned markup from crysteel arrows' description.
  • The Trolls faction is now described as being interested in the locations of "storied items" rather than "artifacts".
  • Learning a secret via non-water-ritual dialogue with a creature of a visible faction now records that faction as the secret's source.
  • Learning a secret via water ritual with a creature of a non-visible faction no longer records that faction as the secret's source.
  • Fixed a bug causing hostiles to be inappropriately ignored during autoexplore.
  • Fixed a bug that caused it to sometimes be possible to sell a secret back to someone you bought it from in the water ritual.
  • Fixed a bug that caused throwing with an accuracy bonus to consistently throw items one square further than targeted.
  • Fixed a bug causing excess stairs to generate in Grit Gate.
  • Fixed a bug causing some historic sites to have no passable area.
  • Fixed a bug causing the starting village not to be revealed on the world map due to an unfortunately placed house.
  • Fixed a bug where village mayors would sometimes not teach you their signature skill.
  • Fixed a bug causing some sultan murals to be improperly initialized.
  • Fixed a bug causing historic event corruption in murals and shrines.
  • Fixed a bug causing [redacted] to yell "DONE!" too early.
  • Fixed a bug causing feral lah pod explosions to display when off-screen.
  • Fixed a bug causing teleport effects to display when off-screen.
  • Fixed a bug causing some biome-altered tiles to not be properly colored.
  • [modding] A registration-based event ObjectExtracted is now called on objects that are harvested or butchered from other objects, with parameters of Object (the object extracted), Source (the object from which it was extracted), Actor (the object performing the harvestry or butchery), and Action ("Harvest" or "Butcher").
  • [modding] The QudHistoryFactory class is now public.
  • [modding] Improved the logging for invalid blueprints in map files and invalid terrains on the world map.

202.7 - 'beta' branch

• Improved the modern UI tooltips
  • Fixed a bug causing UI lockups with the modern UI enabled
  • Fixed a bug causing excessive log spam

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom