Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Caim

Arcane
It’s a big map! Probably too big. It’s kind of empty and soulless compared to Kamurocho.
My thoughts exactly. Look at the map:

EkO3tx1XsAM1FU4

Yokohama is a lot bigger, yes. But the entire station section and the park are just big, open space. Koreatown has wide and open streets, and the Red Light District is quite open as well. All the other places have streets that are more like those of Kamurocho, but it takes away from the feeling that you're little more than a rat scurrying through the alleyways of a place much larger than you. I mean, Nakamischi Street in Kamurocho is one of the widest in the game and... it's wide enough to let two cars pass each other with sidewalks on both sides. The new map just feels way and way too big to give that Yakuza feeling. You know what it reminds me of? Sleeping Dogs.

Vatnik Wumao
It’s a big map! Probably too big. It’s kind of empty and soulless compared to Kamurocho.
My thoughts exactly. Look at the map:

EkO3tx1XsAM1FU4

Yokohama is a lot bigger, yes. But the entire station section and the park are just big, open space. Koreatown has wide and open streets, and the Red Light District is quite open as well. All the other places have streets that are more like those of Kamurocho, but it takes away from the feeling that you're little more than a rat scurrying through the alleyways of a place much larger than you. I mean, Nakamischi Street in Kamurocho is one of the widest in the game and... it's wide enough to let two cars pass each other with sidewalks on both sides. The new map just feels way and way too big to give that Yakuza feeling. You know what it reminds me of? Sleeping Dogs.

It would still be denser than Sleeping Dogs. SD represented three districts in roughly the same space. This is just a single district.

Caim

Arcane
aren't the streets wider because you are now travelling as a party w/ up to 4 people instead of just walking around by yourself?
Yeah, they actually follow you around and they're not shoved up your ass like with many turn-based JRPGs.

Why did they have to do that to Yakuza? :negative:

It’s a decent game, but really should’ve been spun off into its own thing instead as a mainline title. I put about 60 hours into on the PS4 before giving up. Just way too long, IMO.

distant

Learned
Absolutely... stilling waiting for 3-6 to release on PC but as far as I know this series has consistently been great since 2005. Turn based sounds interesting, the beat-em-up style wasn't really what made the games great (it was aight but very quickly descended into auto-pilot combo mashing) so I'm okay with something different.

I hope it's fun, otherwise this would be the worst year related to games.

I’m guessing if you can endure JRPGs you’ll like it. The cast of characters is great. Everyone’s a bro.

And, uh, Jinn, kind of interested to hear your impressions on it. I don’t care for JRPGs, you obviously do. I played it back in March? and didn’t much care to finish it. Kind of wondering if it’s just the studio doing their first JRPG, next one will be better with experience, etc.

Jinn

Arcane
And, uh, Jinn, kind of interested to hear your impressions on it. I don’t care for JRPGs, you obviously do.

Yeah, I'll probably drop some initial impressions the day of or day after, depending on how far I get. I've stayed pretty blind about most everything in the game, but I have watched a couple of the encounters, so I know what to expect in terms of combat gameplay at least. Like others have said, while combat was always pretty fun and sometimes (though rarely) challenging in the past games, it certainly wasn't what made the game. Judging from what I've seen, this is just the kind of change of pace I will enjoy as long as all the other great aspects of the series I've come to expect are still intact. I've even heard that there are some pretty ball-busting encounters throughout the game, which makes me very excited. I honestly have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite games in the series based on the little I've heard, seen, and know.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My initial impressions after 2 hours:

More serious impressions will come this weekend.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
And, uh, Jinn, kind of interested to hear your impressions on it. I don’t care for JRPGs, you obviously do.

Yeah, I'll probably drop some initial impressions the day of or day after, depending on how far I get. I've stayed pretty blind about most everything in the game, but I have watched a couple of the encounters, so I know what to expect in terms of combat gameplay at least. Like others have said, while combat was always pretty fun and sometimes (though rarely) challenging in the past games, it certainly wasn't what made the game. Judging from what I've seen, this is just the kind of change of pace I will enjoy as long as all the other great aspects of the series I've come to expect are still intact. I've even heard that there are some pretty ball-busting encounters throughout the game, which makes me very excited. I honestly have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite games in the series based on the little I've heard, seen, and know.

Combat was always the worst aspect of the Yakuza series, imo. I mean, it looks flashy, and can be pretty hype most of the time with all the neat little cinematic finishers, but the actual gameplay itself, especially on the harder modes against bosses is just spam HEAT ITEM, perform HEAT MOVE. Repeat until boss is dead. Am really interested to see, how Y7 performs on that aspect.

ALSO, Virtua Fighter 5 FS on fucking PC baby!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
NO is good I hope. )
Could you elaborate, plz?
As a member of PC master race I only played Yakuza 1, 2 and 0 in that order, so naturally I'm looking forward to this one too, and TB combat is just an extra plus in my book.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am sorely, sorely tempted by this game. TB RPG and Yakuza seems like a match made in heaven, but £54.99 FFS!

Probably going to get it anyway, but I feel a bit abused by that price point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom