Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, white orchard can be fucking hard with EE. I often resorted to just cheesing through it. Later on you get the tools to take enemies on directly, but at the start...

As for the monster nest, not sure. It could just be that this particular nest is bugged. The only other thing that comes to my mind is that maybe nests destroyed by igni behave like most other remains and disappear on reload? Did you perhaps save and reload between burning the nest and trying to loot it?
I couldn't test. I took the other ghoul nest, next to the quen place of power, after the battlefield area. This time I dropped a bomb, and it had loot. By the time I thought to reload after the combat and instead of with the bomb to destroy it with Igni, I had overwritten the save.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I've not been playing the latest version, but no, it's not. There should always be something of value there in my experience - gems, jewelry, something. Maybe it's just that one?

Anyway, I'm playing with default values for enemies myself, except I cut elemental hp in half. Otherwise a fight with golems or elementals turns into 15 minutes of careful hit and run where one mistake is instantly fatal. That bear in white orchard can be cheesed by running around it on the horse. Many enemies that are found outside of dungeons are susceptible to this, making it my preferred tactic when I can't be arsed to fight them properly or just don't yet have the gear or skills to do that.
Against the bear, at first I thought I'm simply not meant to fight this yet. I made a few attempts, but after a while I simply managed to walk near enough to the place of power without aggroing the bear.

What irritated me for a while was the pack of wolves in the "Vulpine woods" which always spawn in your way when you are heading for the place of power there. They are way too nimble, prone to surround you, and take too many hits to quickly kill, and there is six of them, including one worg. I thought "meh, this simply isn't meant to be played this way", and then I resorted to parthian tactics with the horse, until I reduced them to three, which I later took on individually.

Still, even the fact that we can talk about random encounters with their place and number of enemies shows that the mod's combat is an improvement, they are no longer just nameless spawns of some nuisance to deal with in 30 seconds.

Wolves and dogs are a huge nuisance in EE and its quite retarded. The trick is to be patient and use block a lot and strike them when they stop their attacks which are usually like 3 or 4 in a row. Use igni for crowd control. Once you realise it they are actually not challenging just tedious to fight because of their numbers.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I spent more than an hour fighting the noonwraith. After a point it just becomes an exercise in pedantism. Unfortunately I hadn't done the most helpful Yrden upgrade for the combat, and had to rely mainly on counter attacks. I think after the training I got I would stand a better chance against a bear. I'm still trying to unlearn my habits from playing with vanilla combat.

A bit late, but here's a bit of cheese for that particular noonwraith fight: once it starts just turn around, run into the open building behind you and set your Yrden trap. The noonwraith will follow inside, where she is much easier to deal with because she can't move outside your trap and so can't drain your life or regenerate. Learned this after banging my head against this fight for a while. Just remember to recast the trap as needed as she can still kill you in two swipes.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I passed the griffon fight yesterday. It's turning into a pattern that I have to cheese by exploiting pathfinding with hit-n-run tactics for boss enemies. Hopefully this changes further into the game, because it would be disappointing. Using the same hit-n-run tactic fifty times over while chipping away at a health bar isn't really proof of skill in my book. Skill is finding the right tactic and doing it a few times, not repeating the same tactic a big number of times for every boss, that is only proof that you've built up an automatic response to a stimulus, which any advanced monkey can do. Something-something monkeys and console players; lol.

It gets a little better later as Geralt can deal more damage as his skills and gear improve. But big enemies still remain dangerous as they can always kill you with a couple of strikes, and they generally do come with a huge health bar to deal with as well. Elementals and golems in particular come to my mind as really obnoxious in that regard. Still, there are some options available that can help. Most bosses are susceptible to good old grapeshot spam, and enchantments from the expansion are very useful for dealing with tougher bastards.

AwesomeButton

Patron
As for the monster nest, not sure. It could just be that this particular nest is bugged

Probably just a glitch.
It just happened again with one of the endrega monster nests in Grassy Knoll, somewhat south of Novigrad. It's two monster nests quite close together. I think if you destroy the nest before having killed all the guarding monsters then it won't spawn loot. I burned the nest once before killing the protection and it didn't spawn loot, next time I duly killed off the three endrega workers before burning the nest, and then there was loot.

AwesomeButton

Patron
In other news, I continue to be impressed with how good the W3EE mod makes the game, and I mean as an RPG. I tried to beeline for the Griffin armor set in the dungeon where you have to do this Ekimmara fight and got consistently assraped by it while having just 30 total skill points across all categories. That was after having watched a W3EE let's play where they guy managed to kill the Ekimmara. I decided to compare his overall skill points to mine, and his were 82. :lol:

My point is that progression is extremely smooth and the player has to gauge his power without relying on an objective metric like XP. You are as good as your build and your reflexes are. So many commercial games fail at the same task that the mod, made for a game that was never planned to be played by its rules, achieves perfectly. It's amazing how well it does it.

It's a pity very few people on the codex would play the EE mod, but will continue shitposting about Witcher 3 vanilla.

ekrolo2

Learned
In other news, I continue to be impressed with how good the W3EE mod makes the game, and I mean as an RPG. I tried to beeline for the Griffin armor set in the dungeon where you have to do this Ekimmara fight and got consistently assraped by it while having just 30 total skill points across all categories. That was after having watched a W3EE let's play where they guy managed to kill the Ekimmara. I decided to compare his overall skill points to mine, and his were 82. :lol:

My point is that progression is extremely smooth and the player has to gauge his power without relying on an objective metric like XP. You are as good as your build and your reflexes are. So many commercial games fail at the same task that the mod, made for a game that was never planned to be played by its rules, achieves perfectly. It's amazing how well it does it.

It's a pity very few people on the codex would play the EE mod, but will continue shitposting about Witcher 3 vanilla.
I've actually wanted to try it at least for a few hours but I hear it doesn't get along with most mods.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I don't usually like overhaul mods because they tend to equate "challenge" with "lots of tedious bullshit" but if this one is different I could be persuaded. I found vanilla Witcher 3 to be extremely boring, gameplay wise.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just been playing W3 again, and had to rage quit. Invisible ranged enemies hitting Geralt (not visible as red on the screen) and a guy lying on the fucking ground unconscious but still able to wallop Geralt for massive damage. Maybe he was shooting bolts from a hidden crossbow up his ass?. Something like that cock-pistol in 'From Dusk till Dawn'.

Still haven't completed it, and was prepared for the long haul. But stuff like this really boils my piss. So back to X3 - some modders made a fantastic Battlestar Galactica mod I've been meaning to play.

And it doesn't have glitches. :argh:

Blood and wine is the most overrated expansion of this game, None of characters are interesting or likeable, syanna is a bitch, the people in touissant are rich cunts who deserve whatever detlaff does to them, Anna henrietta isnt likeable either, the side quests are filled with reddit tier cringe humor, the color palette looks like a jackson pollock painting. The gameplay at this point feels like a complete chore, more than the base witcher 3 game did, at least the base game and HOS were interesting and had good stories.

Yosharian

Arcane
So I grabbed this on GOG for 10 bucks cuz it is Christmas sales. I already complain to myself ever buying it. Controls are total crap and the game reeks like a console port. How this got so overhyped, is beyond me. But I guess it has nude Jennifer and cute Siri.
Make sure you play with the W3EE mod

AwesomeButton

Patron
redpill me on whether i should buy this for a replay or just play risen 2
If you like interactive movies, watch a few trailers and make a decision whether you will like the story. In terms of challenge the vanilla game doesn't offer anything, so it's a storyfag game.

If you actually want challenging combat and something closer to an RPG with interconnected and interacting systems of combat, character buildup and crafting, you need something called "Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition" mod. It's an overhaul that brings the game into RPG territory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom