Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS 2: BONE TOTEM - new isometric adventure in Stasis universe set in deep sea installation

lightbane

Arcane
Well fuck, that as fast. I usually never preorder BUT, I made an exception for this game. Alas... 2022? That's too long, I don't know if Europe will still exist by then! :decline:

There's another issue, I got a key for STASIS 1, but I realized belatedly that I already got the game for GOG. If I was to remove that game from my library, would the code still work to activate the game in another Steam account? I was considering to send it to a friend of mine.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Well fuck, that as fast. I usually never preorder BUT, I made an exception for this game. Alas... 2022? That's too long, I don't know if Europe will still exist by then! :decline:

There's another issue, I got a key for STASIS 1, but I realized belatedly that I already got the game for GOG. If I was to remove that game from my library, would the code still work to activate the game in another Steam account? I was considering to send it to a friend of mine.

IF it doesnt - let me know and I'll send you a key for your mate. :D

lightbane

Arcane
Wait, will this be W10 only? I REALLY hope not. No-one likes that system, and I find mentions of the game being for W10 but also for W7.
At least the demo seems to work for me, so it should be for W7 as well.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I just assume that the higher visibility of Kickstarter would yield more money.
Do kickstarters actually still have a high visibility? I thought it was sort of passé as a funding platform.

Pyke, those higher tiers look pretty nice actually, no bullshit. But is there a reason you only hand out steam keys to the first game and Beautiful Desolation? They are on GOG and it sure would be nice to have that as an alternative. Giving someone a GOG key is swankier than a Steam key if you ask me.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Wait, will this be W10 only? I REALLY hope not. No-one likes that system, and I find mentions of the game being for W10 but also for W7.
At least the demo seems to work for me, so it should be for W7 as well.

If the demo runs on your machine - the full game will. We have locked in the Unity build as well as all external plugins - so nothing on the framework side will change. It's one of the big reasons we pushed to get the demo out before we did any sort of funding - so you know exactly what you're getting! The only surprises will be from the awesome story. :D

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I just assume that the higher visibility of Kickstarter would yield more money.
Do kickstarters actually still have a high visibility? I thought it was sort of passé as a funding platform.

Pyke, those higher tiers look pretty nice actually, no bullshit. But is there a reason you only hand out steam keys to the first game and Beautiful Desolation? They are on GOG and it sure would be nice to have that as an alternative. Giving someone a GOG key is swankier than a Steam key if you ask me.

It's just a technical limitation of working with GOG. They don't like handing out marketing keys - whereas on Steam they pretty much leave it up to you. If you want a GOG key tho - just mail us at studio@thebrotherhoodgames.com with your receipt, and Nic will sort you out!

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
It's just a technical limitation of working with GOG. They don't like handing out marketing keys - whereas on Steam they pretty much leave it up to you. If you want a GOG key tho - just mail us at studio@thebrotherhoodgames.com with your receipt, and Nic will sort you out!
It's really not a big deal, I wast just wondering. Seems stupid on the side of GOG since it would attract more people to their platform if people got a GOG key and made an account. Bone Totem though, will that also be a steam key by default?

I also want to compliment you on backer integration in Stasis, it was pretty unobtrusive and fun. Obsidian should have done something like that instead of what they did with Pillars of Eternity.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
It's really not a big deal, I wast just wondering. Seems stupid on the side of GOG since it would attract more people to their platform if people got a GOG key and made an account. Bone Totem though, will that also be a steam key by default?

I also want to compliment you on backer integration in Stasis, it was pretty unobtrusive and fun. Obsidian should have done something like that instead of what they did with Pillars of Eternity.

GOG only like to 'approve' games when they are pretty much complete - but we've never had an issue getting our games on GOG before, so I can't see that being a problem afterwards. So officially we can't say 'YES' - but yeah - it'll be on GOG. :D

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
btw... we kept in the suicides. Use an item 3 times on the character. Not all items have them - but they are there. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Pyke, do you object to us posting your crowdfunding updates in this thread?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://stasis2.com/campaign/index.php#Updates

Down we go...

At the start of the environment brainstorming process, I revisited all of the media that inspired me to create STASIS. This included Dead Space, Event Horizon, Alien, and Sunshine. As a fan of sci-fi horror, sliding back into these vivid and atmospheric worlds was wonderfully comforting.

Importantly, I didn't just want to retread old ground - I needed new sources of influence. It's important that the new story we're telling has its roots in the familiar, but feels fresh. And, what better way to flip it on its head, by deciding to move from the depths of space to the deep, dark ocean?

STASIS was based entirely on fictional technology, whereas STASIS: BONE TOTEM would afford access to countless real-world places and tech to draw inspiration from. This includes oil rigs, submarines, vast underwater cave systems, and sunken ships. So much of our ocean unexplored, leaves so many mysteries to be uncovered.

Interestingly, the claustrophobia that you experienced in STASIS would be even more prevalent in BONE TOTEM. Isn't there something terrifying about the idea that a thin sheet of metal is all that stands between life and death? And underwater even more so. The pressure on the other side of that metal sheet is actively trying to squeeze and crush everything it surrounds. Extending from the metal grating to the algae-covered 6" thick glass - living under the ocean is a constant battle of man vs nature. (SPOILER! Nature always wins).

One of the first signs of civilization you explore in BONE TOTEM is the DEEPSEA 15. This rig, much like the Groomlake in STASIS, has been retrofitted by the Cayne Corporation, to operate away from prying eyes. The architecture is utilitarian and menacing - featuring hard edges, with layers of machinery and pipes. The new camera angle and higher resolution graphics allow us to expand on the detail in every rusted corner of DEEPSEA 15 and beyond.

As our intrepid trio (Mac, Charlie and Moses) moves deeper into its bowels, the pressured caverns start to close in on them. They move from large exterior spaces that are pelted with rain and lit up by lightning, into dark chambers where the dripping of water and the clanking of chains against metal echo ominously.

BONE TOTEM brings more corners to explore and challenges to overcome, in this new story from the STASIS universe. While we have offered glimpses, there are surprises that will, no doubt, shock you!

Meet the O'Bannons!

Mac O'Bannon

Ronald 'Big Mac' is an experienced sailor and Royal Navy veteran. He feels at home on the water's surface, but not necessarily under it.

Mac cherishes his life as a salvager - trawling the oceans to find scraps and the occasional floating junk island, eking out a living.

Despite his gruff exterior and intimidating size, Mac is a gentle, moral soul who puts the safety of his family above all else. His robotic arm gives him an edge over his competitors out there. Plus, he thinks it looks really cool!

The tragic passing of his daughter has left Mac personally adrift - he focuses all of his energy on looking after his wife, Charlie.

Charlie O'Bannon

Charlie is a bright engineer who fell in love with a salty pirate, and joined him for a life at sea, to seek adventure and fortune.

Her technical abilities definitely come in handy on deck, and with their treasured deep sea finds. She is spontaneous, headstrong and reckless at times - which often causes Mac's heart to skip a beat.

Much is hidden under her light-hearted exterior, leaving you wondering when the facade will crack.

Moses

Moses is a SmartBear, the first-generation super toy.

Charlie fished this forgotten toy out of the ocean, where he had been floating on a bed of plastic for a decade. She patched his fur the best she could and rebuilt him to be a companion and protector for her and Mac's daughter, Hope. Moses may look rather grotesque, but he has a heart of gold.

Moses has several technological upgrades that far exceed his initial functionality. Will his small stature and programmability make him an ideal deckhand?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
A cyborg bear? Someone has read Blame! and its spiritual prequel. The parallels with Dead Space are even more obvious than before, while the maritime location may be inspired by Cold Fear and Bioshock.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
A cyborg bear? Someone has read Blame! and its spiritual prequel. The parallels with Dead Space are even more obvious than before, while the maritime location may be inspired by Cold Fear and Bioshock.

I love Blame! I've yet to watch the Anime. I think it's on Netflix... I really must give it a go!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good luck with the game Pyke . May I ask why did you decide against Kickstarter, doing your own fundraiser instead? I just assume that the higher visibility of Kickstarter would yield more money.

We are in a pretty good position where don't need the money to actually finish the game - but we want the advantages that crowdfunding gave us. So the accountability, the community interaction, and also have an increased budget in some cases to expand on parts of the game that our current funding won't quite stretch to (additional languages, more words, expanded music, etc).

The quick burn 30 day 'do or die' campaign just seemed like a bit of overkill for us right now - so we want to grow our support base and fan base without having to rely on a third party website like Kickstarter. We've always been fiercely independent - so any way to retain that independence and carry on building on our foundation as a company seemed like a good way to go!
Nice move, bros! You built up a fanbase with emails and stuff and now do not need to pay KS commission :smug:

Backed of course:salute:

And also looking forward to watching more of your development story series on YT.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Good luck with the game Pyke . May I ask why did you decide against Kickstarter, doing your own fundraiser instead? I just assume that the higher visibility of Kickstarter would yield more money.

We are in a pretty good position where don't need the money to actually finish the game - but we want the advantages that crowdfunding gave us. So the accountability, the community interaction, and also have an increased budget in some cases to expand on parts of the game that our current funding won't quite stretch to (additional languages, more words, expanded music, etc).

The quick burn 30 day 'do or die' campaign just seemed like a bit of overkill for us right now - so we want to grow our support base and fan base without having to rely on a third party website like Kickstarter. We've always been fiercely independent - so any way to retain that independence and carry on building on our foundation as a company seemed like a good way to go!
Nice move, bros! You built up a fanbase with emails and stuff and now do not need to pay KS commission :smug:

Backed of course:salute:

And also looking forward to watching more of your development story series on YT.

Thanks mate! I've actually got 2 of those dev stories done and lined up to release - I just hate hearing my own voice. :D I'm gonna have another bash at them this week, and have a whole lot of other stuff lined up!

lightbane

Arcane
Okay, gave it a brief spin. It needs polishing for sure. To start, there's no zoom feature despite BD having it. Second, a "highlight stuff" key is a must, it's quite easy to confuse an interactive thing with background props (bloody damned chain next to that white door!). Third, CAYNE continues to have such EVIL!!! work standards that would make Umbrella applaud.
Fourth, I like how every character has a different commentary to the items. The bear's ones are especially adorable.

Fifth: I'm unfortunately stuck. I have to unlock the rig and I got into the control area with the bear. I powered up the energy cell and put it into the slot near sentry gun, powering up a hologram. The guy says you have to hack the consoles, but the bear can only hack items within its inventory, and I cannot interact with the console panels. What next?

Six: Even the door's holographic signs are stolen from Dead Space, heh. At one point I expected a Necromorph to crawl out, but sadly this is not an action game nor you're producing any yet.

Seventh, I found the "suicide" scenes.

It's good to see that you "fixed" the blatant gender favoritism of CAYNE and now you can have the girl accidentally kill herself with that uber-acid.
The fact that the bear can also accidentally blow himself up means he's totes going to die in the ending, I bet.
Is there a way for the dude to accidentally kill himself as well to complete the set?

I dunno how long the demo is, but it shows promise. Alas, 2 years is far too long to wait.

Bonus commentaries: The couple's kid was called Hope and she's dead from the start. Subtle, it ain't.
The portrait pics for the notes lying around are awesome. They follow the standard theme of desperate people wasting their last moments writing down their thoughts on the nearest thing they could find. This time the protagonists don't make any comment though, or not for the demo at least.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Okay, gave it a brief spin. It needs polishing for sure. To start, there's no zoom feature despite BD having it. Second, a "highlight stuff" key is a must, it's quite easy to confuse an interactive thing with background props (bloody damned chain next to that white door!). Third, CAYNE continues to have such EVIL!!! work standards that would make Umbrella applaud.
Fourth, I like how every character has a different commentary to the items. The bear's ones are especially adorable.

Fifth: I'm unfortunately stuck. I have to unlock the rig and I got into the control area with the bear. I powered up the energy cell and put it into the slot near sentry gun, powering up a hologram. The guy says you have to hack the consoles, but the bear can only hack items within its inventory, and I cannot interact with the console panels. What next?

Six: Even the door's holographic signs are stolen from Dead Space, heh. At one point I expected a Necromorph to crawl out, but sadly this is not an action game nor you're producing any yet.

Seventh, I found the "suicide" scenes.

It's good to see that you "fixed" the blatant gender favoritism of CAYNE and now you can have the girl accidentally kill herself with that uber-acid.
The fact that the bear can also accidentally blow himself up means he's totes going to die in the ending, I bet.
Is there a way for the dude to accidentally kill himself as well to complete the set?

I dunno how long the demo is, but it shows promise. Alas, 2 years is far too long to wait.

Bonus commentaries: The couple's kid was called Hope and she's dead from the start. Subtle, it ain't.
The portrait pics for the notes lying around are awesome. They follow the standard theme of desperate people wasting their last moments writing down their thoughts on the nearest thing they could find. This time the protagonists don't make any comment though, or not for the demo at least.

If you read the note of the guy who got blood eagled, he mentions that he coded the sentry gun to only shoot a specific thing. Combine this info with what Charlie finds in the labs below...

Mac can jump off the edge of the Deepsea 15 - where Charlie ran across. I think his one may turn off after a while - not sure...

lightbane

Arcane
Sadly I cannot use the elevator, since the access card doesn't seem to work, so I'm stuck here as well.

By the way, I found a bug: Clicking on the toy bear before activating the oddly named Moses results in the character stepping on top of it.

I also like how everyone intentionally has a color-coded not-RIG from Dead Space: Blue for Mac, Green for Moses, and Pink for Charlie... Damn it woman, it was supposed to be red to complete the primary color trio!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Sadly I cannot use the elevator, since the access card doesn't seem to work, so I'm stuck here as well.

By the way, I found a bug: Clicking on the toy bear before activating the oddly named Moses results in the character stepping on top of it.

I also like how everyone intentionally has a color-coded not-RIG from Dead Space: Blue for Mac, Green for Moses, and Pink for Charlie... Damn it woman, it was supposed to be red to complete the primary color trio!

Have you used the Elevator at all? So to go down to the diving bell/labs?

If you find a bug - press B. It will being up our internal bug submission system - you can write what it is and hit enter, and itll send it to us! Even if you just have some suggestions - use the system. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom