Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I have to say it's impressive how consistently you can rely on the "casual" fanbase to come up with some of the most awful, useless, wasteful, money-burning suggestions when it comes to adding features to a game in development.

"Please add a different prologue pre-kidnapping for each possible race/class combination"
"Please, add 12 more voice options for the character, and then make him/her fully voiced across the entire game".
"What about options to make my character a vegan?"
"I'd like more kinky romance options with sadomasochistic flavor"

Is this a result of some meningitis pandemic going around?

Yeah i noticed that too..That is what happens when something Niche as RPG get a lot of mainstream audience. Granted there are nice suggestions in to the forum but some are really.... How to define it. Absolutely stupid.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I have to say it's impressive how consistently you can rely on the "casual" fanbase to come up with some of the most awful, useless, wasteful, money-burning suggestions when it comes to adding features to a game in development.

"Please add a different prologue pre-kidnapping for each possible race/class combination"
"Please, add 12 more voice options for the character, and then make him/her fully voiced across the entire game".

Video games becoming a commonplace source of entertainment was a mistake

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
But I’d be remiss to ignore all the reasons not to be excited for BG3.

The world is still reeling under the weight of the covid-19 pandemic. There are more Americans out of work right now than at any point in the country’s history, with no relief in sight. Our health care system is an inherently evil institution that forces people to ration life-saving medications like insulin and choose suicide over suffering with untreated mental illness.

As I’m writing this, it looks very likely that Joe Biden will be our next president. But it’s clear that the worst people aren’t going away just because a new old white man is sitting behind the Resolute desk—well, at least not this old white man. Our government is fundamentally broken in a way that necessitates radical change rather than incremental electorialism.

The harsh truth is that, for the reasons listed above and more, a lot of people simply won’t be able to buy BG3., regardless of supply. Or if they can, concerns over increasing austerity in the United States and the growing threat of widespread political violence supersede any enthusiasm about the gay npc or its a fucking buggy mess.. That’s not to say you can’t be excited for those things—I certainly am, on some level—but there’s an irrefutable level of privilege attached to the ability to simply tune out the world as it burns around you.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
^ I'd remove the American presidency as an institution.

Didn't they say they are going to add pre-kidnapping sections for each origin? Like in DA:O.

Didn't they say they are going to add pre-kidnapping sections for each origin? Like in DA:O.
Did they? God, I hope not.
Last thing I want from this type of game is one additional tutorial on top of the tutorial.
Not to mention I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of "origin characters" to begin with.
I can't help but imagine how the game could have expanded a lot more in some areas without having to account for the redundancy of options coming from playing with 10 different "premade protagonists".

I'd gladly take anything resembling a competent day/night cycle over all the origins combined, and it would probably cost a fraction, too.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did they? God, I hope not.
Last thing I want from this type of game is one additional tutorial on top of the tutorial.
Not to mention I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of "origin characters" to begin with.
I can't help but imagine how the game could have expanded a lot more in some areas without having to account for the redundancy of options coming from playing with 10 different "premade protagonists".

I'd gladly take anything resembling a competent day/night cycle over all the origins combined, and it would probably cost a fraction, too.
Personally I don't recall hearing them say that.
I always figured the idea behind the origin character system was to let you
a) play the game as one of the companion NPCs
b) serve as the character's origin story so you didn't have to experience the origin story during gameplay.
The BG3 origin characters have a "Listen to backtory" button in character selection which I imagine will be a brief summary of who they are and what they were doing before they were snatched up by the Nautiloid during (or shortly before) the game's opening cinematic.

Dodo1610

Arcane
^ I'd remove the American presidency as an institution.

No, you will just get a short introduction for each of the Origin characters like they did in DOS 2

Lacrymas

Arcane
I was somehow left with the impression all origin characters are going to have playable origin sections. I doubt it will take too many resources, especially if they do it like DA:O - the used maps are already in-game and we will visit them either way during the game proper. I'm neutral about this, it was cool in DA:O because it affected quite a few things in the game, but I don't see Larian going that extra mile.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was somehow left with the impression all origin characters are going to have playable origin sections. I doubt it will take too many resources, especially if they do it like DA:O - the used maps are already in-game and we will visit them either way during the game proper. I'm neutral about this, it was cool in DA:O because it affected quite a few things in the game, but I don't see Larian going that extra mile.
That would be stupid. They start the game off with a bang with you trying to escape from a flying ship hurtling through hell, but then they add a section before that where you go shopping with your sister or similar?

Origin sections before the tutorial would break the dramatic start of the game that Larian seems to have put a lot of effort into and hyped up, I'm 99.9% there won't be any origin scenes before the nautiloid. Flashbacks to origin scenes later in the game is a possibility, but I say still unlikely.

Salvo

Arcane
If they go the same route as Original Sin 2 you will discover the Origin character's backstory along the way, through your interactions with NPCs and the story, which frankly makes for a better flowing tale.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That would be stupid. They start the game off with a bang with you trying to escape from a flying ship hurtling through hell, but then they add a section before that where you go shopping with your sister or similar?
I'd say the "dramatic start" is dumb, at least the way they did it (flying ships, gith, dragons, explosions). It feels like a Michael Bay production. It would be like if DA:O began at the battle of Ostagar already in motion and the darkspawn killing Duncan.

Salvo

Arcane
I'd say the "dramatic start" is dumb, at least the way they did it (flying ships, gith, dragons, explosions). It feels like a Michael Bay production. It would be like if DA:O began at the battle of Ostagar already in motion and the darkspawn killing Duncan.

Agreed, but I'm a 100% sure Larian won't budge on the ship (crashing or not) start. It's their staple since the first Original Sin.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
DA:O and BG3 are designed from the ground up with completely different starting sections. You're not going to improve either game by copying the style of opening the other has.

Poseidon00

Arcane

The world is still reeling under the weight of the covid-19 pandemic. There are more Americans out of work right now than at any point in the country’s history, with no relief in sight. Our health care system is an inherently evil institution that forces people to ration life-saving medications like insulin and choose suicide over suffering with untreated mental illness.

As I’m writing this, it looks very likely that Joe Biden will be our next president. But it’s clear that the worst people aren’t going away just because a new old white man is sitting behind the Resolute desk—well, at least not this old white man. Our government is fundamentally broken in a way that necessitates radical change rather than incremental electorialism.

The harsh truth is that, for the reasons listed above and more, a lot of people simply won’t be able to buy BG3., regardless of supply. Or if they can, concerns over increasing austerity in the United States and the growing threat of widespread political violence supersede any enthusiasm about the gay npc or its a fucking buggy mess.. That’s not to say you can’t be excited for those things—I certainly am, on some level—but there’s an irrefutable level of privilege attached to the ability to simply tune out the world as it burns around you.

Oh my god shut the mother fuck up

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Oh my god shut the mother fuck up
Don't get mad at copypastas, it's bad for your skin.

Lacrymas

Arcane
DA:O and BG3 are designed from the ground up with completely different starting sections.
Not really. The origins in BG3 are like the origins in DA:O, just lamer and not playable. You can still have your Michael Bay fix, just a bit later with more context.

Anyway, i just realized there was a feedback channel I wasn't using yet to let mr Vincke know how I feel. Their Discord server:

hH09ItJ.jpg

They even have a chat specifically dedicated to offering feedback.
Which will probably be as useful as https://screamintothevoid.com/.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Discord is well known for attracting intelligent reasonable people with well thought out feedback. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom