Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shrimp

Arbiter
Anyway, i just realized there was a feedback channel I wasn't using yet to let mr Vincke know how I feel. Their Discord server:

hH09ItJ.jpg
Honestly I feel really uneasy about all these different platforms that are supposed to be for gathering feedback. There are the Steam community forums, the BG3 Reddit, Larian's own dedicated forums, their own Discord server, all their other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube as well as all the different community outlets like comment sections/discussions on various websites not affiliated with the game.
There's just no way that everything of value will get picked up by the people in charge of doing so. I've had a couple of things I felt dissatisfied with and felt could be changed, so I brought them up on Larian's own subforum meant for feedback since that seemed like the most rational course of action. Unfortunately seeing how there are like 5 (probably more) different channels for submitting feedback on my game experience I can't help but uncertain that I picked the 'right' one. How am I to know which one of the many platforms that they will pay the most attention to?

When you look at sites like Steam's own forums or the BG3 subreddit you see plenty of people using those outlets while under the impression that it's the primary communication link with Larian. While I don't know how much it'd change in the grand scheme of things, it really makes me wish we just could go back to the time where every game or developer had its own forums. A site serving as the primary communication hub as well as the only place where they'd interact with their users. At least it'd give the illusion of having a single moderated place that gets seen by the developers.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Discord is well known for attracting intelligent reasonable people with well thought out feedback. Nothing could possibly go wrong.
My only experience with Discord communities is with the Knights of the Chalice 2 channel, where people said the game was too easy because summons were overpowered, despite never having even reached the third chapter of the game.

:imokay:

purupuru

Learned
Is this a result of some meningitis pandemic going around?
I'd give them the benefit of a doubt, most likely they are not actually morons, just that they know absolutely nothing about game development and don't bother to give much thought to what they post online.
"I'd like more kinky romance options with sadomasochistic flavor"
And this is just a Viconia fan.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
DA:O and BG3 are designed from the ground up with completely different starting sections.
Not really. The origins in BG3 are like the origins in DA:O, just lamer and not playable. You can still have your Michael Bay fix, just a bit later with more context.
Check out this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_medias_res
Sometimes less context is better. You're of course free to have your favorite style of story, but don't act like that style is objectively superior for all stories.

Salvo

Arcane

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sometimes less context is better.
Only when you can orient yourself in the middle of the action. We can because we live and breathe D&D and its lore, but for someone who is new to D&D they wouldn't know wtf is going on. The fact is, though, BG3 isn't really a good use of in medias res and a lot of people have expressed that opinion.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Sometimes less context is better.
Only when you can orient yourself in the middle of the action. We can because we live and breathe D&D and its lore, but for someone who is new to D&D they wouldn't know wtf is going on. The fact is, though, BG3 isn't really a good use of in medias res and a lot of people have expressed that opinion.
You see everything going on with the Nautilloid ship in the opening cinematic. If you pick an origin character there's going to be either an audio recording or a small video explaining who they are.
I'm not exactly sure what else you want or need to understand who the characters are.

Shrimp

Arbiter
https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-changes-player-data-feedback-larian

Yet another article based on an interview with Swen Vincke. There's a part that coincidentally feels like a follow-up to the part about dice rolls that he did in some other recent interview, although in this case he seems to be talking about dice rolls in dialogues rather than combat.
Vincke notes that one moment in particular, where players must navigate a tricky dialogue encounter to save some children, is one that has experienced heavy save scumming. “It's an emotionally laden moment, and people want the dice to go in a certain direction,” Vincke says. He recognises that the amount of players reloading to try to get a better outcome is something Larian can learn from. “We made [the dice rolls] hard, but maybe we can add extra role-playing options for players to get the same effect. It's one of those things that we can pick up from seeing those behaviors of players.”

It’s not just in this situation that players are becoming frustrated with Baldur’s Gate 3’s dice rolls. The system - based on tabletop Dungeons & Dragons’ use of D20-based skill checks - has proven divisive in the BG3 player base. Many players are not used to a dice roll governing their successes or failures; random number generation (RNG) disrupting a sneaky attempt to deceive someone or foiling a heroic deed can feel at odds with roleplay. “There are people who have had difficulties with that,” says Vincke. “They want to be able to manipulate it.”

“We opted to just go pure RNG for the initial release in early access just to see what was going to happen,” he explains. “We see the people that have really bad luck, and they are really, really angry over it. So, we're going to help them. We're going to add modes to the game that are going to go with things like a loaded die, and that's going to be a bit more manageable. We'll still keep the option of having full RNG in there. We'll experiment with that throughout early access, and see what we should make the default option. That's one of the things that will be driven by the analytics.”
First and foremost I'm glad to see that they apparently still stand by their vision of "creating success from failure" or whatever they called it. Players save scumming is a problem that does affect everyone, even those who don't do it themselves, because RPG developers have an exceedingly bad habit of developing and designing dialogues and non-combat scenarios around save scummers. If their attempt to tackle this leads to more actual C&C, non-combat quest solutions and quests branches that don't become permanently inaccessible due to a bad roll, then I'm all for it.
High DC skill checks should be high DC in order to represent a difficult task, not high because the developers assume the players will have n amount of skill modifiers by the point they reach the obstacle in question. The worst kind are the DCs that are high solely because they were made with the assumption that the item was important enough for players to continuously reload until they got their desired outcome.

In regards to combat dice rolls it does sound like it's only a matter of time before loaded dice become an actual option in the difficulty settings in the game. I still think that most of the complaints about missing are due to the game not explaining the D20 system properly to players unfamiliar with it. The combat log also still needs a bit of work, I guess it could do a better job at visualising the outcomes of the dice rolls. But then again I guess it's just simply easier to add a loaded dice option for those who can't or don't want to read.

and then there's this part...
RNG isn’t the only thing that Larian has realised needs to be adjusted. “Giving players things to do at the beginning is something that we've been struggling with,” admits Vincke, referring specifically to the limited collection of skills and abilities a low-level character has access to. Once again, this is due to the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset from which Baldur’s Gate 3 is adapted; low level characters on the tabletop have very few combat options compared to a low level character in most digital RPGs.

“We're coming up with some more answers,” Vincke teases. “We're certainly going to add a few things for the opening moments of classes like the fighter, for instance.”
It's no secret that some classes are rather limited at low levels, but I feel this is a slippery slope that's already leading dangerously close to them outright homebrewing what might as well be new classes.

Finally there's this:
Elsewhere, player concerns will be addressed by the introduction of numerous new companion characters. “There's been a group of people complaining about the fact that the companions are snarky and they have to have an opinion,” Vincke reveals. “But we’ve only put the ‘evil’ and the ‘neutral’ ones out there. We haven't put any of the ‘good’ characters in yet, so I think that will balance that.

“I didn't expect people to be that sensitive to how the companions thought of them, and the fact that we didn't put the ‘good’ characters in there,” he admits.
Whether intentional or not, this sounds like a little jab at the people who feel offended by NPCs disapproving of their actions.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I wonder how many people in this thread actually played the game. "Abdel Adrian" wasn't invented by the retarded author of the equally retarded novels. It's one of the pre-generated characters in the original game (the blonde guy).
Do you really expect that people will remember the name of a random pre-gen character in a 20 year old game? I expect most people didn't even look at the pre-gens, but jumped straight into making their own character.
damn, there are pre-gens?

if you select Import when creating a char in BG1 and select a fighter, you get a nameless dwarf - so that's not it

in BG2, yeah you get an Abdel
image_2020-11-10_220334.png
image_2020-11-10_220531.png
to be fair, the blonde dude does not look like an "Abdel" (in fact in BG1 prologue you meet him as "Canderous" alongside Arkanis, Osprey, Mordaine, and Deder)

add another notch in that "BG1 > BG2" belt

Mitleser2020

Scholar
BTW, looks like we may be taking a detour to
Barovia

Via a githyanki creche, it seems.

The creche:

In act 1b, it is possible to access a githyanki creche, which is essentially a nursery and training ground.
From this creche, we can access a vista to act 1a (early access) or to SCL (potentially the shadow cursed lands surrounding Moonrise Towers).
There are several patrols here, and in certain cases, it it possible to be spotted and ambushed by githyanki.
There is both a dungeon and an outdoors area of the creche.
There is a "psychic extractor" located here. You will likely have a run-in with a beholder...
There is an interesting portal here, surrounded by runes. These runes essentially stand for the following letters: "A" "C" "D" "E" "H" "I" "L" "M" "O" "W"

They can be used in combination to access portal "regions":
"H O M E": Astral plane
"W I L D": Feywild (includes a potential deal with a hag)
"A C H E": Shadowfell (includes an undead ambush)
"D E A L": Avernus
"E C H O": Echoes
"H O W L": Barovia
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/jrrn5b/spoilersdatamininganalysis_so_i_opened/

Mortmal

Arcane
The novels were bad. But in the end seems that the canonic things happened were the ones narrated in the original game. The only difference is they actually given an identity to Charname Abdel Adrian that's about it. The novel were so hilariously bad that they were overall disliked this is why in the end wizard of the coast wanted to canonize the events but using the games instead of the novels.

Abdel Adrian dies in Murder on Baldur's gate. Another relevant adventure for baldurs gate 3 is Baldur's gate: Descent in to avernus. As Zariel get mentioned a lot of times during the adventure. Of course if you follow the storyline presented in those two adventures you will notice that Bhaal is actually returned now and this is very interesting.
My Theory is that the whole tadpole thingy and the illithid will be not the main villain in this game is just how the adventure starts and unfold.

The events of Murder of Baldur's gate are not only canonized but also relevant as it the even that will lead to the resurrection of Bhaal
Not sure who can be the main villain still . Illithids + many netheril references, could be Ioulaum involved, an archmage turned elderbrain and lich ,who else could tamper with tadpoles , would work as the collective they always refer to . Main villain could be some other netheril archmage, there's references to karsus too ,plenty of choices there still.

Harthwain

Magister
In regards to combat dice rolls it does sound like it's only a matter of time before loaded dice become an actual option in the difficulty settings in the game. I still think that most of the complaints about missing are due to the game not explaining the D20 system properly to players unfamiliar with it. The combat log also still needs a bit of work, I guess it could do a better job at visualising the outcomes of the dice rolls. But then again I guess it's just simply easier to add a loaded dice option for those who can't or don't want to read.
People will always complain about dice not going their way, no matter how well shown or explained it is. Nothing will change it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, for one yes, for other who just don't understand the system it could help. Thoug it's mostly tiny part of audience.
Anyway, person could change - right now some hypothetical person A feels disgust to dice and he is 18 y.o., and then 10 years later he actually could try understand the system.
I belive in better in people. )

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
People will always complain about dice not going their way, no matter how well shown or explained it is. Nothing will change it.

People just dislike having plus 20 or whatever on their main skil just to roll a 1 and fail trying to pass a 22 dcheck (random example). Doesn't matter if it's well explained or not.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Exactly. What's the point of having stats if they don't matter and everything is based on dice rolling? Stats should increase or decrease the minimum and maximum values between which you can roll. If I have a stat at 5 or whatever I shouldn't be able to roll below that. And like another guy said, you either roll successfully or you simply miss out on content, since every failed roll results in combat, most of the time. And I don't know if various enemy traits are taken into consideration. Like how the fuck can someone miss an ogre or another creature that's as big as a house and in front of you?

hell bovine

Arcane
I don't reload on failed dialogue rolls and it's not as much problem as people make it to be. You get a party of four and can use any character for dialogue. Skill proficiencies can lower the score you roll against. Different races get different reactions (Lloth drow are hilarious btw) and there is the disguise spell (which I keep forgetting to try). In the goblin dialogues which could potentially result in combat you get the guaranteed win option (authority). Missing a roll can sometimes open a different sequence if events, e.g. failing to save the girl from the snake means you later get to witness her parents commit a revenge murder.

Harthwain

Magister
People just dislike having plus 20 or whatever on their main skil just to roll a 1 and fail trying to pass a 22 dcheck (random example). Doesn't matter if it's well explained or not.
Disco Elysium managed to deal with that simply by making failure interesting, not just something that cuts you off from content.

deuxhero

Arcane
The problem that makes save scumming attractive is that is 5E. Even if you were level 17+ (+6) and had a maxed relevant attribute (+5), random chance has almost as much impact (10.5 +/- a value <=9.5) on your chance of success as your modifier (+11). At lower levels this is even worse as your modifer is likely closer to +6, which makes the issue even more pronounced. Of course people are going to save scum when random chance is unavoidably the primary determining factor of success.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
There's a data mining thread on the official forum. People discovered that if you keep using the tadpole in dialogue, like 6 or 7 times or so, there's at least 1 confirmed NPC that will be able to mind control you during dialogue, later on.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem that makes save scumming attractive is that is 5E. Even if you were level 17+ (+6) and had a maxed relevant attribute (+5), random chance has almost as much impact (10.5 +/- a value <=9.5) on your chance of success as your modifier (+11). At lower levels this is even worse as your modifer is likely closer to +6, which makes the issue even more pronounced. Of course people are going to save scum when random chance is unavoidably the primary determining factor of success.

Yep, this is something you see complaints about quite a lot with 5e.

It sounds as though Larian has made failure states too punishing/boring on rolls as well. A failure shouldn't necessarily lead to complete failure of the objective in all circumstances, maybe, for example, it leads to another harder check to swing things back in your favour.

Failure states could also occasionally lead to more interesting outcomes as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom