Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

A horse of course

There's 3000+ games to play at launch on Xbox.
4000+ on Playstation.
And most of them run better.
Like noone installed CS:GO on their new PC to check out fps ever.

Its not a cutoff like in 2013.
They are pretty efficient cheap PC like machines now. Its acually a decent poorfag solution.
Theres a $299 machine that runs games with raytracing ffs.

Another example, ACG just reviewed AC Valhalla. He couldnt get the game to run 4k/60 on his i9 and 2080ti. But its buttery smooth 4k/60 on a $499 Series X. This is awesome news. Be happy motherfuckers. You get a high performance for a poorfag price.

Comparing console-PC settings involve a bit of debate since parity clauses mean the developers will (and may be legally bound to) conceal the exact settings being used, but a general rule of thumb is that console games are roughly equivalent to Low/Medium PC settings, often with certain stuff just disabled completely or using a much less demanding rendering method. I'm sure the newest consoles are a bit of a jump, but unless the same settings are being used this is meaningless. Is it even real 4k, or cheating shit like Checkerboard and Dynamic Resolution?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.shacknews.com/article/121314/xbox-series-x-review-the-future-is-not-here

Last paragraph:

As it stands right now, anyone who is angling to pre-order or buy a Series X console for launch will be investing in a promise from Microsoft that things will get better. Earlier in the year, I felt like the push for backwards compatibility was going to be a nice bullet point for the Series X to go along with fancy new games. The reality is that, without backwards compatibility, the Series X is nearly a paperweight. Even compared to thin launches in the past, Holiday 2020 looks like a bonafide woofer for those hoping to dive into next-gen. I saw nothing running on the console that looked remotely next-gen or did anything other than match some older PC titles. Obviously, this can and will change at some time in the future, but people will be paying $500+ right now. Even Xbox One had Ryse: Son of Rome, a flawed game that at least looked next-gen at the time. Unless you slept through the entire previous generation, have a brand new 4K HDR TV, and are dying to play Gears 5 or Sea of Thieves, consider waiting to buy the Series X until some sort of compelling software arrives.

The Next-Gen BC consoles have arrived and that would be 500 bux plz.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The next gen is not going to be much more impressive in terms of graphic quality compared to what we have now, even when they optimise for it. Sure, some extra detail here and there, some more realistic lightning and other effects due to raytracing, but that's about it.

The real power is going to arrive by the far more powerful cpu cores and the SSDs, meaning much faster loading and much better and more detailed open world map, possibly with much better physics and destructible environments as well. I can't wait to play the next Elder Scrolls, designed for the next gen. If they could do Skyrim on PS3, i can't imagine what they can do on PS5. Seemless maps destructible environments more items with physics etc. It is going to be cool.

Caim

Arcane
I can't wait to play the next Elder Scrolls, designed for the next gen. If they could do Skyrim on PS3, i can't imagine what they can do on PS5. Seemless maps destructible environments more items with physics etc. It is going to be cool.
I'd greatly temper my expectations, what with them stil being shackled to the Creation Engine. It might look better, but it's going to be same gameplay we've seen since Oblivion. And yes, Skyrim was on the PS3. It was also... limited.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'd greatly temper my expectations, what with them stil being shackled to the Creation Engine. It might look better, but it's going to be same gameplay we've seen since Oblivion. And yes, Skyrim was on the PS3. It was also... limited.

Skyrim was a game made for 512 MB of RAM running on the cpu equivalent of Pentium 4 D and a D3D9 gen gpu around 200 gigaflops.

PS5 has 8 zen 2 cores, 16GB of RAM, around 10terraflops of a modern gpu architecture plus an SSD....

The leap from Skyrim is gonna be very large. Not just for graphics. Skyrim had many gameplay limitations that affected immersion due to the limited resources of the consoles back then. They won't have to abide by those limitations now.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In two or three years, they will come up with an excuse about why the new games can't run on the older gen and it will be ridiculous.

What about artsie indie pixel arts for instance ? Will they be forbidden to release on the older hardware ?
You know they will.

Caim

Arcane
The leap from Skyrim is gonna be very large. Not just for graphics. Skyrim had many gameplay limitations that affected immersion due to the limited resources of the consoles back then. They won't have to abide by those limitations now.
Sure, it COULD be large. But then I remember Fallout 76 and my expectations go down the drain. Look, I'd LOVE to see Elder Scrolls 6 to be amazing, but I'm seeing the writing on the wall here.

DemonKing

Arcane
Seems my PS5 preorder is arriving a day early - shame I won't be able to actually buy any games until Thursday. Guess it's Astro's Playroom for me!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Microsoft:
- Todd
- Arkane
- Psychonauts
- based conman Fargo
- some devs from the country of anime

Soyny:
- storyfag openworld covershooters with batman vision,ubisoft towers and roided trannies
- knack 3

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Microsoft:
- Todd
- Arkane
- Psychonauts
- based conman Fargo
- some devs from the country of anime

Soyny:
- storyfag openworld covershooters with batman vision,ubisoft towers and roided trannies Which sell more than anything on the Xbox
- knack 3
Fixed that for you.

L'ennui

Magister
Is it weird that the feature that makes me most excited is that you can now swap seamlessly between multiple games on Xbox? That and the SSD loading times will mean much less time lost waiting after the machine. You just pick up the controller and play whatever, like in the old cartridge console days.

No, it's not weird at all. Insane load times (and shitty framerates) are the main reason why I couldn't be bothered with the last two generations of consoles.

I honestly could not fathom how people could bear to wait over a minute for a level to load, or almost a minute to load a save after dying (I remember borrowing a friend's PS4 to play Bloodborne on release).

Cromwell

Arcane
I also found it funny that people laugh about backwards compatibility for consoles and that it isnt worth it to upgrade like there arent thousands of people with expensive Computers that play fucking minecraft on them, the newest indie pixel shit or the latest version of skyrim that can probably run on a smartfridge.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I also found it funny that people laugh about backwards compatibility for consoles and that it isnt worth it to upgrade like there arent thousands of people with expensive Computers that play fucking minecraft on them, the newest indie pixel shit or the latest version of skyrim that can probably run on a smartfridge.

The difference being of course that PC is more than a gaming appliance, plus mods.

Ebonsword

Arcane
If you buy Xbox Series X, you're pretty much getting a better version of every Xbox console released and even the old controllers are going to work on it. As someone who never owned an Xbox, I'm looking at Series X as a retro gaming console as much as the next gan machine. There are still some exclusives I want to play from the original 2001 Xbox as well as the 360. It's also about game preservation and not having to hunt down used old hardware through ebay. I don't think the newer games are better, I play the old games all the time and there are still tons of them I missed.

I wasn't planning on buying either of the new consoles, but the backwards compatibility does have me eying the Series X, now. I have enough OXbox and Xbox 360 games that being able to play enhanced versions of them is enough to get me to buy a Series X, even if its next-gen library currently sucks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Been ignoring game news because of the election. Coming back, it's weird that backwards compatibility is such a big part of the new console news cycle considering all the screams about it not mattering at all the last couple times. Is that because of diminishing returns with graphics advancement or because there are very few next-gen games to talk about? Or both?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Been ignoring game news because of the election. Coming back, it's weird that backwards compatibility is such a big part of the new console news cycle considering all the screams about it not mattering at all the last couple times. Is that because of diminishing returns with graphics advancement or because there are very few next-gen games to talk about? Or both?

Because there's no excuse to not have it. It's effectively the same architecture as before.

ultimanecat

Arcane
There is really no “next-gen” at the moment, just a handful of cross-gen games running with marginally better graphics and/or performance on new consoles. If it weren’t for backwards compatibility these systems would have like a Nintendo 64-tier launch of two games to choose from.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because there's no excuse to not have it. It's effectively the same architecture as before.

My question is why is it getting so much attention this time? I think it's 'cause there ain't no real next gen games as said above.
And Sony and MS are spending huge marketing effort on this of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom