Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the link, nyjsu; seems that Pelikrypta has moved since I last visited, gotta go check the new place. Maybe by then they'll also have the Advanced books I'm getting from EF ;)

But they are carrying all of the Advanced books? Or are you looking to buy individual Classic books? Advanced Monsters or Treasures are not out yet at least to my knowledge.

EDIT: My bad, it seems the Advanced books are out of stock. They usually restock relatively often, I got my black box and referee screen within 1-2 weeks.

Bara

Arcane
Castle Xyntillan is a great dungeon and more people should play it. This dungeon has been such a ride I felt the need to state that publicly.

First Hungarian d20 society makes a lot of good stuff if your ever looking for more content.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Castle Xyntillan is a great dungeon and more people should play it. This dungeon has been such a ride I felt the need to state that publicly.

First Hungarian d20 society makes a lot of good stuff if your ever looking for more content.
I can second that. What was supposed to be an oneshot are going to be a fourth session, because the players keeps exploring.

Bara

Arcane
If anyone was thinking of buying the OSE books but would prefer a German translation apparently one is in the works. So hold off for that.

At least that's what Gavin said on the discord.

Bara

Arcane
Well OSE seems to be moving at quick pace from the v.7 change log.

v0.7 uploaded, including fixes for all reported errata so far.

Please report errors only. As we will soon be sending this book to the printers, only actual errors will be fixed from this point on. (Aside from the few illustrations that remain to come in, this version is considered a release candidate.)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
They need more conversion work than usual, since DCC is its own system instead of a B/X derivative. In practice, it should not be too time-consuming, particularly on low-levels (and for funnels).

The bigger issue is adventure design. DCC modules are typically written for tournament use, as a linear or mostly linear string of set-piece encounters. Think really linear, even more so than early TSR tourneys. They are well crafted, but tend to be lacking in meaningful choices and broader exploratory play. Most of them are very small, too, with 8-12 keyed locations that are just large enough to get through in a convention one-shot. Goodman Games does not really stray from its "formula", since it is what their fanbase - a lot of them veteran tourney players - like and want more of. Within this scope, they are not bad, but if you like old-school games for the sandbox-style gameplay and open-ended exploration, they are a different kettle of fish.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks Melan! I've been wondering about them as well. That format doesn't sound like my cup of tea so now I know to stay away.

Bara

Arcane
Those who backed the OSE Advanced Fantasy project or those who want to pre-order the books November 6th be the last day to update your shipping or do a pre-order.

This is Exalted Funeral wanting to remind everyone that that the Pledge Manager and Preorder store will be closing on Friday November 6th at the end of the day. This is of course so we can settle in on the final production numbers and get all this lovely material printed!

Sacibengala

Prophet
Those who backed the OSE Advanced Fantasy project or those who want to pre-order the books November 6th be the last day to update your shipping or do a pre-order.

This is Exalted Funeral wanting to remind everyone that that the Pledge Manager and Preorder store will be closing on Friday November 6th at the end of the day. This is of course so we can settle in on the final production numbers and get all this lovely material printed!
Gavin said today on discord that the address still can be updated just before the shipping occurs, next year. It seems that this is just for the credit card. But the information was confusing, nonetheless.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I was harmlessly reading my emails and, of course, managed to stumble upon yet another interesting RPG Kickstarter, although I suppose this one is not to everybody's taste. It's Neon Lords of the Toxic Wasteland and it seems to be a totally rad 80's post-apocalyptic science fantasy experience with rules based on B/X. I can't resist shit like this.

Morblot

Patron
Screenshot_20201107-101723_Chrome.jpg

Fuck you, WotC. You can keep your PDF.

Bara

Arcane
Yeah that all started from the stupidity that was trying to remove 1e Oriental Adventures from DMsguild for being racist.

It's still up there thankfully and the PDF remain unchanged they just plastered that stupid message on the description page. It's funny that on the oriental adventures page they put that message at the top of the description then at the end where all other books 3e and prior have it once.

Their print on demand option for the older books remains a godsend for trying to collect the older books as second hand market the prices are way too high for some of them. Like I'm still waiting for a pod option for the Planescape Campaign Setting book as I don't see anything under a 100 online most I see range around 300. Other than that I'd recommend hitting an alternative sources for their pdfs like the trove.

If they ever start printing that message in the books themselves I'm just going to bite the bullet and go back to the second hand market.

Bara

Arcane
Looking to get Swords and Wizardry could use help sorting versions.

I see that Frog God Games is selling the complete rulebook on their store page but only as a softcover.
Looking else where I see on lulu the hard cover is available there but lists it as core rules.

Just wanted to check if anyone knows if there's any difference in their content as the different names have me a little worried but I'm assuming there is none as I see they both have the same page count.

Also, anyone buy from lulu before that can attest to their print quality. First time I've actually seen this storefront.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Also, anyone buy from lulu before that can attest to their print quality. First time I've actually seen this storefront.

I have 3 l ulu books and I hate its binding. It seems that the pages will fall at any moment. Not that it happened yet, but I don’t use the books a lot because of that. It is better if you get the pdfs and send it to print elsewhere.

Last edited:

Morblot

Patron
Don't know about Swords & Wizardry, but the new Lulu webstore is awfully buggy. Sometimes you can login to your account, sometimes you can't; sometimes you can add stuff to your cart, sometimes you can't; sometimes it remembers your cart's contents when you try to order, sometimes it doesn't; ... They've improved it a bit from what it was but I've yet to have a problem-free experience with it.

Shame, because the old one was pretty good and it even allowed you to select the payment currency and in which country you wanted your stuff printed.

Bara

Arcane
Hm thanks for the info on lulu i'll bear that in mind for tge future.

Looks like I will have to hold of on S&W either way as the complete book does have more content.

They just did a kickstarter a few months back for a multi book box set so and talked about doing more past that.

So if im lucky maybe a hard cover one day.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Looking to get Swords and Wizardry could use help sorting versions.

the s&w white box is basically plain od&d, only containing rules from the little brown books (the first three booklets). s&w core adds some rules from the supplements, like the thief class added with greyhawk. s&w complete adds all* the supplements into one complete book, hence the name - excluding demi-gods and heroes. if you want to take a look for yourself you can download the pdfs for free at the smoldering wizard.

*) note that this should read "almost every" rule addition from the later supplements. there's still stuff missing, like arneson's combat hit locations.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
If I wanted to start a game using OSR rules, is Old School Essentials THE modern version to use? I've also considered Basic Fantasy, mainly because it's free and potential PCs can quickly get familliar with the rules.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Frankly, any of these systems work as well as the others. OSE's main claim to fame is its organisation/layout, which is pretty good. Pick OSE, Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry (vanilla) for a low-complexity system, BFRPG for the above with slightly more "modern" mechanics, and OSRIC for a mid-complexity one.

OD&D is a lot of fun, though, and does some things none of these variants really pick up on. But you need some experience to appreciate OD&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom