Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine I think you were master merchant and played on dominating?

Im curious what sort of things you can buy, how high quality mats go. Are focus stims on the menu too? mk4 grenades? magnesium/napalm? maybe gas ones?

Fuck no. I'd never play on Dominating. I like a solid challenge, not an obnoxious trial of endurance (which is what Dominating difficulty is, and that's fine).

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking (everything's on the menu as far as buying's concerned; and yes, use plenty of drugs and grenades), but my guide to untold riches is as follows:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/underrail-the-incline-awakens.105387/page-440#post-6266893

Jason Liang

Arcane
evasion as skill is useless on dom, not even making a dent. Wasted 2 feats: evasive manouvers and opportunist(short circuit doesnt trigger it).
Not sure what you would take at lvl 1 in lieu of opportunist. For me, Opportunist and Aimed Shot are far above the other lvl 1 feats. Expertise is nonbo with crits. Other feats are either niche or are not worth the requirements.

Sheepherder

Augur
I‘ve decided to shelf the MAX CON Tank build for now and play something I’ve been meaning to complete for a long time: a mechanical pistol build, using only 5 mm Hawker pistols on Dominating. I’ve tried this before a couple of times, but those attempts didn’t pan out so well.

Hawker with a 5 mm barrel can achieve 4 AP shots at 18 Dexterity. However, despite the cheap AP cost, the damage it deals is abysmal. At first, I thought of going the Special Attack damage bonus route that I went with the .44 Hammerer build. But seeing how this build will be able to shoot ~30 times per turn, focusing on a damage bonus which would apply to only ~25% of AP seemed wasteful. The only other way to increase damage were Critical Hits. Dropping all special attacks allowed me to dump Perception, pick up Versatility and get 9 Constitution for Survival Instinct along with maximum Dexterity for 4 AP shots. I also got Gun Nut and joined Protectorate for Protectorate Firearm Omnilube consumable, which increases damage dealt by firearms by another 10%.

This would net me 92% Critical chance with 280 effective Guns skill from specced Versatility (which is what I’d otherwise get with max Guns and 13 Perception).

Maximum Dexterity also allows me to get the most value of specced Fatal Throw: a throwing knife cost is reduced to 10 AP and returns 27 AP on kill, for a net total of 17 AP. Unlike other guns, which would often overkill enemies, the measly damage of 5mm Hawkers works very well with Fatal Throw. It allows me to bring two or more enemies down to <25% HP and then kill two, due to Split Snare feat which throws a knife at two targets within a cone, both of which not only crit, but also deal good damage because of Ripper. Throwing two knives at once also ensures I get at least one kill and get the extra AP.

After the latest patch, Rapid Reloaders have a 25% chance to restore 50% - 100% of the AP spent, once per turn. The AP it refunds is based on the base AP cost of the weapon, which in this case is 13. And since this build shoots so many times per turn, the proc is nearly guaranteed. Meaning the RR proc grants me up to 3 extra shots each turn.

So with Contraction and Adrenaline, my AP is at 90, another 17 from Fatal throw and up to 13 from Rapid Reloader. Up to 120 AP per turn. 30 shots per turn. I will also be getting Rapid Fire, for two extra shots. A 5mm Hawker holds 20 bullets in its magazine, so to avoid wasting AP on reloading on my apha strike turn, I’ll be using two 5mm Hawkers. Shots deal up to ~150 damage, for a 4800 damage per turn. Ideally. Which is something similar to what ARs can do per burst, 4 times a turn. In reality, damage spread is wide, I miss shots and heavily armored foes cut down the damage dealt.

The build consumes copious amounts of W2C ammo and Focus Stims and needs to have Contraction constantly online, but the end result is great. Up to level 20 I had to be extremely picky what encounters to do and which quests to go for, but after that it got better. At level 26, I think 5mm pistols will have no problems dealing with any encounters in the game.

Some videos from the build in action:

The 4naga fight.

Fort Zenith, second area. A challenging fight due to lack of ways to break LoS and no chokepoints whatsoever, two snipers which shoot from out of player field of view, two enemies who use EMPs and a dreadnaught.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Really nice.

Also I can't help notice that, much like unarmed, Speedhack is an essential part of this build.

Sheepherder

Augur
This wins the prize for the craziest, but actually working build ever.
I was surprised at how well it plays in practice. It's one thing to theorycraft and do tests, it's another when it works out well in the end. Relatively well. After 20 levels or more.

Really nice.

Also I can't help notice that, much like unarmed, Speedhack is an essential part of this build.
Speedhack is essential to every build.
Funny thing, the most times I've died with this build is from click-click-clicking an enemy, killing it and then I keep on clickin' its corpse, run up to it and open the loot, waste MP/AP and die like a bitch.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Potentially the best game of all time

I contribute unironically to big fat thread, to proclaim my big love for all the zoners dying in some dark hole beside broken hopes and the metro that will never bring them home. Very participation, very good, very potatoe, da

madhouse

Rat King is nothing but a bum and a tramp.
Underwhelming to the point where it'd use words similar to these to describe my feelings about this """"boss"""" """""""battle""""""".

What broke him down, was it the just the...
Bear traps. I was setting him up with the bear traps, I heard him, actually he was crying in there, making woman gestures, like, UGHUGUH MUH RATSSS UGHUGH, I can't... I knew that he was breaking down soon.
You're saying Rat King was crying?
Yes, yes.
When did that happen?
Perhaps the first turn on.

Qz3tb7c.jpg

Essegi

Cipher
Guys, now i'm figuring a bit deathstalkers...
I have a juggernaut assault rifle build with thick skull.
I knew thick skull wasn't entirely positive since it removes second wind, still i wanted to take it.

Now if i face a death stalker there's that scenario: it manifests, it stings me and it hides in one turn, my character goes dazed in 2 rounds. Repeat forever. Iirc i encountered without thick skull (maybe it was a crawler, but mechanics should be similar) when i was stunned the monster hit me until ap expiratione and couldn't hide... So i just bursted it to death. But with thick skull you just can't attack them.
Now i can only throw molotov like there's no tomorrow and hope to go out of combat, place a bear trap and trap it, then a full auto is more than enough. Flares just don't help (ok, if i move i can spot them with lots of luck but then i have no ap to shoot). If i am to face them i should just reload, place a bear trap, throw a molotov and hope to burn the critter...
Of course i'll avoid them as much as possible, am i missing something?

Yaz

Learned
You can do any or all:

Throw caltrops around as they will reveal their position when they are in stealth; caltrops will be disappearing from the ground.

Throw flares around as they will reveal stealthed characters. It takes a bit of practice, but after a while you will be able to tell their general location after they disappear.

End combat after the turn it stings you as it's now considered that it no longer participates in it. You can just walk away.

Make Bear Trap/Toxic Gas Grenade kill zones and draw them in with noise.

Parabalus

Arcane
If you have a lot of movement points you can run away, then bump into them on your next turn to reveal them.

But when you reveal them you should either kill them outright or stun them, otherwise they get too annoying.

madhouse

Does anybody know where to find the documentation for how everything is calculated? I only have a rough idea how and I am itching to try a dominating run without falling back on anybody else's build or guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Essegi

Cipher
You can do any or all:

Throw caltrops around as they will reveal their position when they are in stealth; caltrops will be disappearing from the ground.

Throw flares around as they will reveal stealthed characters. It takes a bit of practice, but after a while you will be able to tell their general location after they disappear.

End combat after the turn it stings you as it's now considered that it no longer participates in it. You can just walk away.

Make Bear Trap/Toxic Gas Grenade kill zones and draw them in with noise.
Right, i forgot about caltrops. Until now i haven't had much luck with flares.
Well now i must go to Core City (i've done various faction quests) and i hope to see them as less as possible.

If you have a lot of movement points you can run away, then bump into them on your next turn to reveal them.

But when you reveal them you should either kill them outright or stun them, otherwise they get too annoying.
I've a really slow char, 3 dex, 3 agi, metal armor. Probably i'll raise strength to 9 just to use tungsten (i dunno if worth it, but i'll do just because its own sake...).

Parabalus

Arcane
Does anybody know where to find the documentation for how everything is calculated? I only have a rough idea how and I am itching to try a dominating run without falling back on anybody else's build or guide.

You won't find formulas for pretty much anything but basic THC. Best bet is to ask here.

madhouse

Unerrail wiki.
What I'm not getting is if armor penalty affects your AC cost offensively, i.e. will >50% AP affect my AP cost. Testing stuff manually seems pretty tedious.

edit:
thnx
edit2:
So what does armor penantly do then? Tooltip says movement and evasive skills, but I am not sure exactly to what degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheepherder

Augur

madhouse

Thank you for the tips.

Does Expeditions go on sale often? The more I look at potential builds with expansion, the more I want to buy it. I already tried all the bootleg places that sell legit Steam keys, but they don't have anything good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom