Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

looking for game recommendations

wideman

Novice
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some RPG game recommendations, because I have now lost all hope in this genre :o

Ok, maybe losing all hope is a bit of an exaggeration, but I just can't seem to find the right RPG's to play nowadays.

Let me tell you what games I like and what I am searching for. First of all I am huge fan of top down RPG's, I guess you call them Isometric rpg or Eagles Eye view. I have enjoyed most of Black Isle Studios games. I have done multiple play-trough on Icewind Dale 1/2, Baldurs gate 1/2, Fallouts 1/2 etc. Also I liked the more H&S likes like Diablo, Dungeon siege, Torchlight and to some extent Titan Quest as well as Grim Dawn. I liked the BG games for their character building and tactical gameplay and the H&Slashes for the faster pace of story.

So what I am looking for is some more recent titles that would combine the turn based (tactical) system and quick progression of story. I am really not interested in all those recent trends of friendship building, romancing, talking with every single soul in larger cities just to get a silly quest for 50gp reward.

I recently picked up Dragon Age Origins. While i like the gameplay and the combat system, I really don't enjoy all the quests that are throwing me around the map or the detailed decision making. I am really not into that stuff, I want a tactical dungeon crawler. I would put Pillars of Eternity in the same boat. While the game art is super nice and combat is how I like it. The sheer amount of text is just off-putting. I want to play not read, I do my reading outside my gaming time. Don't get me wrong, its not like all dialogue is useless, but for most of the games it is just a bit too much. I like the balance of gameplay vs dialogue in games like Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental evil.

So yes, maybe after reading this bit of a rant, maybe you can advice me on what rpg's to give a shot?
To sum up:

* preferably isometric game
* preferably with party management
* fast story progression
* something released past 2010
* preferably turn based combat
* preferably some replay value (different classes, weapons, party setups etc.)
* preferably fantasy setting

Another thing came to mind, when it came out I really like the Witcher game. I liked it so much so that it was my favourite game at the time. So I gave it a shot again, and man, the game is a drag :D I have lost any interest in going to game taverns, getting drunk, gamble and fight. All those things I can do in real life. What I cannot do in real life is gather a party of 4 and slay some beholders or trolls.

Anyway, I will appreciate if you can give me some suggestions on what to try.

P.S. Don't suggest Pathfinder Kingmaker, Newerwinter nights, Fallout, Skyrim or Pillairs of Eternity 2

Thanks and Cheers

Egosphere

Arcane
I'd second Dungeon Rats. That may interest you.

If you're ok with a tad more reading, the Age of Decadence, by the same dev.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Underrail because:
---
* preferably isometric game (check)
* preferably with party management
* fast story progression (?)
* something released past 2010 (check)
* preferably turn based combat (check)
* preferably some replay value (different classes, weapons, party setups etc.) (check)
* preferably fantasy setting

Besides...
....P.S. Don't suggest Pathfinder Kingmaker...

I suggest Pathfinder Kingmaker.

something released past 2010
tenor.gif

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Expeditions: Viking and Expeditions: Conquistador.

Knights of the Chalice and Knights of the Chalice 2.

Divine Divinity (?).

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear and The Black Pits mode of the enhanced editions of BG and BG2.

The upcoming Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

But, honestly, you could try playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Pillars of Eternity, and Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire without paying attention to the dialogue. Just read half of the first line and half of the last one, and you should still be able to experience the combat and exploration. I mean, especially in PoE, you clearly aren't supposed to read everything.

wideman

Novice
Hi!

Wow, so many replies in so little time.

Thanks to everyone replying so far.

Few notes, I don't think I will be playing those Knights of the Chalice games. I sort of would like to have a different direction in art style.

I will put Divine Divinity (and Divinity Original Sin) and Blackguards on my wish-list. For now I will try to finish my DA:O run.

Alternatively, anyone has anything good/bad to say about Tower of Time or Torment: Tides of Numenera? Are those worth playing?

Cheers

If you're willing to forgo the isometric camera view there are plenty of great blobbers out there that fit most of the other criteria; MMX fits them all. Most of the Codex loves to shit on it, but it has a small cadre of defenders here (myself among them). I think it's a great little game.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Already some good recommendations in this Thread. A few not mentioned thus far that I personally liked and might be of interest to you, too:

- The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - don't be fooled by the looks, it meets pretty much all of your criteria except perhaps replay value.
- Avernum trilogy remakes
- new Shadowrun trilogy
- Wasteland 2, Wasteland 3
- Dead State (features perhaps a bit too much story for your taste)
- Hard West
- Troubleshooter: abandoned children
- Low Magic Age
- Atom RPG (does *not* have fast story progression IMHO)

more for the category Hack 'n Slashy/non-isometric:
- Dragon's Dogma
- Technomancer
- Elex
- Two Worlds II
- Mad Max

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I know it's not an RPG, but Slay the Spire is good fun.

Is Two Worlds II better than the first one? The first one was really hard to get into.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alternatively, anyone has anything good/bad to say about Tower of Time or Torment: Tides of Numenera? Are those worth playing?

You won't find a lot of love for Torment: Tides of Numenera here. It's mediocre at best, but most would say that's being way too generous. I wasn't able to finish it myself. It's also more dialog heavy than what you seem to be looking for.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If you're willing to play squad-based tactics games with RPG elements, then I'll second the mentions of both The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk and Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children.

Otherwise, try real RPGs, such as the two Legend of Grimrock games.

OWKrbeM.png

E7zVkb2.png

Egosphere

Arcane
Hi!

Wow, so many replies in so little time.

Thanks to everyone replying so far.

Few notes, I don't think I will be playing those Knights of the Chalice games. I sort of would like to have a different direction in art style.

I will put Divine Divinity (and Divinity Original Sin) and Blackguards on my wish-list. For now I will try to finish my DA:O run.

Cheers

numenera doesn't fit your criteria, and it's much worse than planescape torment

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tower of Time
It's... acceptable at best. Once you figure out what strategy works best for you, it gets repetitive really fast. Still worth a playthrough in my opinion, but it will leave a sour taste in your mouth due to its wasted potential. It's 60% off now on Steam, and 8€ is an okay price.

Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's... the exact opposite of what you asked for. 1% game, 99% useless walls of text.

deama

Prophet
Dungeon rats is a straight up isometric dungeon crawler with little dialogue, pretty good one I'd say.
I found the divinity original sin games pretty good for combat.
Could try Tales of Maj'Eyal, it's a roguelike, but has good tactical isometric combat.
Tale of Wuxia is a chinese tactical rpg, pretty interesting I'd say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom