Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Avarize

Magister
Limiting him through anthropomorphism doesn't make him more interesting. He should be something beyond human, not your woobie.
And by beyond human, do you mean the traditional portrayal of him embodying arrogance for arrogance's sake and being nothing more than a two dimensional caricature meant to parallel Christian 'mythology'? Not much that you can do with the story of the fall beyond turning it into a tragedy in the vein of the Hellenic classics, with him being 'beyond human' in the sense of the angels being portrayed as demigods (which by their very nature are anthropomorphic).
There should be something inhuman about him, but he should also be charismatic and competent to an unnatural degree. It's one of the challenges in writing him, characters vastly more intelligent than the author are always difficult. Also, I recommend you stop talking about how he is portrayed in Christianity, so far you have demonstrated you don't know much about it and it's not even the topic at hand.

Vatnik Wumao
Limiting him through anthropomorphism doesn't make him more interesting. He should be something beyond human, not your woobie.
And by beyond human, do you mean the traditional portrayal of him embodying arrogance for arrogance's sake and being nothing more than a two dimensional caricature meant to parallel Christian 'mythology'? Not much that you can do with the story of the fall beyond turning it into a tragedy in the vein of the Hellenic classics, with him being 'beyond human' in the sense of the angels being portrayed as demigods (which by their very nature are anthropomorphic).
There should be something inhuman about him, but he should also be charismatic and competent to an unnatural degree. It's one of the challenges in writing him, characters vastly more intelligent than the author are always difficult.
I don't disagree with any of that, yet the ones attempting to craft such a character were particularly those such as Vondel and Milton which you reject due to them 'humanising' him.

I recommend you stop talking about how he is portrayed in Christianity, so far you have demonstrated you don't know much about it and it's not even the topic at hand.
Nice strawman. I was referring to Christian mythology (a.i. those literary works which are derivative of Christian theology, yet nonetheless complement and reinforce the latter in their moralizing portrayal of the devil) ergo my recommendation of you sticking to the Bible if you want a tale of a devil bereft of redeeming qualities which is by all means all that the character can be in lack of a nuanced portrayal which adds positive traits to an otherwise purely negative character.

Semiurge

Cipher
e9blbgc9xdx41.png

sot7rz7cdyl31.jpg

tumblr_inline_pnzzb7LviG1t0zedo_640.png

eT_lyBt6T-C314T4JEsgrnYmuwPueE8SIb5fr_4NfmM.png

No, there's no bigger version of that.
Is there a version for Malkavians?

Sort of.

autxs4asf9m51.jpg

Last edited:

Avarize

Magister
I don't disagree with any of that, yet the ones attempting to craft such a character were particularly those such as Vondel and Milton which you reject due to them 'humanising' him.
Lucifer can be a proper fleshed out villain without giving him a sob story. Envy, lust for power and selfishness have motivated plenty of people to do bad things after him.

Caim

Arcane
YES AND WHEN IT DOES ALL YOU CHUDS WILL BE BTFO BY HOW AMAZING IT IS
Oh I do hope that it is going to be the best thing since Bloodlines 1. It's just that the chance of this being the case are about the same of there ever being a Demon: The Fallen 20th Anniversary Edtion.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Oh I do hope that it is going to be the best thing since Bloodlines 1. It's just that the chance of this being the case are about the same of there ever being a Demon: The Fallen 20th Anniversary Edtion.

I remember that, faintly. Was it discontinued for the same morality purge that now pretends Brujah never dressed as neo-Nazi for laughs?

Caim

Arcane
I remember that, faintly. Was it discontinued for the same morality purge that now pretends Brujah never dressed as neo-Nazi for laughs?
No, it just never came out. There's been five 20th Anniversary Editions so far:

- Vampire and Werewolf are pretty much Revised 2.0 in that they take from the previous editions and iterated on it. As a standalone edition I'd say that Werewolf20 is better than Vampire20, if only for how more complete of a setting it is since Vampire20 leans heavily on older books.
- Mage20 is an absolute clusterfuck. The fluff needs an editor with a machete to cut it down to something useful and the rules need a mix of trimming down the options so that we don't have a version of Mage for GURPS 4e and clarifications on how to actually use magic rather than yet another book to make things even more unclear.
- Wraith20 is a very complete stand-alone book, even though when it came out it was years overdue. Could've done with a reordering of the chapters.
- Changeling20 is the best Changeling has ever been: the only thing missing is descriptions on what actual day-to-day play will be like.

Hunter20, Mummy20 and Demon20 will probably never come out. Hunter suffers from the conflict between lore and visuals, and Hunters aren't the most interesting part of the World of Darkness. While I love Demon: The Fallen dearly I fully admit that it's an absolute shitshow when it comes to editing and I do hope that a possible new version will fix its issues. Maybe they'll hire Monte Cook for it, since he has experience with World of Darkness D20. As for Mummy... well, there's this joke about what the player base of Mummy has in common with the Judges of Ma'at from the game's lore. Answer: there's 42 of each of them. Kindred of the East20 has been axed completely because of how problematic the Kuei-Jin are in Anno Domini Current.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also I was browsing around the White Wolf Wiki because, you know, it's fun sometimes. But holy shit there is some retarded-ass shit in there.

You have to keep an open mind with that shit. Some of it may seem retarded in the context of a game, but what would young mages do in the real world?

Raves. Great, glittery psychedelic raves.

42-cybergoth-dance-party.gif

The Hollow Ones splatbook is peak 90s White Wolf goth shit. You even get rules for mages participating in the other settings, so you can have a Goth For Every Occasion. :lol:

Also the art is bad. Really bad.
Penny'.png

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Also I was browsing around the White Wolf Wiki because, you know, it's fun sometimes. But holy shit there is some retarded-ass shit in there.

You have to keep an open mind with that shit. Some of it may seem retarded in the context of a game, but what would young mages do in the real world?

The Hollow Ones splatbook is peak 90s White Wolf goth shit. You even get rules for mages participating in the other settings, so you can have a Goth For Every Occasion. :lol:

Also the art is bad. Really bad.

Goth-Björk :prosper:

But I tend to agree, even acolytes of the arcane should not be that obsessed with looks, it just seems too mundane a thing for those in touch with the esoteric.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, Leif Jones' art is... well, it's there. He did quite a bit of it for Mage and Vampire. Werewolf had a lot of Ron Spencer artwork in there, which was a much better fit given how he draws muscle and gore. Very visceral and fitting for Werewolf. As for the other game lines... well, let's not talk about Hunter.

You know, i didn't consider this perspective, but you made me look at it from a different angle.

Still looks utterly retarded, to be perfectly honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom