Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I like playing FPS games on the Wii. Sue me!

Red Steel 2 is easily one of the system's best and it makes heavy use of the motion controls. Very unique experience.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
KtJ5Syr.jpg

x8qsX0Y.jpg

LOLOLL BROS NOT DONE HOOKING EVERYTHING UP BUT HERE A START

Beowulf

Arcane
KtJ5Syr.jpg

x8qsX0Y.jpg

LOLOLL BROS NOT DONE HOOKING EVERYTHING UP BUT HERE A START

A true classic and prestigious choice to test every new build.
Albeit nowadays you can try picking up any of the new poorly coded Unity games to see how much you can heat up your GPU.

I like playing FPS games on the Wii. Sue me!

Red Steel 2 is easily one of the system's best and it makes heavy use of the motion controls. Very unique experience.

FPS games are pretty good on the Wii, the motion controls lend themselves very well to snap aiming. Resident Evil 4 is amazing on the Wii. I'd go as far as to say it's the definitive version.

overly excitable young man

Played 3 hours of Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption.

The story is kinda interesting but sadly the whole gameplay is just a very boring hack and slay with the same enemies that do essentialy nothing copied ad nauseam in one long corridor.
I was in some Nosferatu tunnels and those were even worse than the ones in Bloodlines.

Whole game up to this point feels like a giant Nosferatu tunnel.
Too bad. The medieval Prague setting+story were very interesting and i wanted to know how they managed the jump into modern-day New York.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Beat my record again.

RxtISFM.jpg

There a few screw-ups that really annoyed me, like getting bumped off a pier by a telephone booth or something and having that customer go from green to red.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Continuing trying to play The Legend of Zelda Skyward sword with a keyboard and mouse.

So far the game is piss easy in both combat and puzzles department, and Fi (the new sidekick) is absolutely annoying. She assumes that the player is retarded, and over-explains the most obvious things. An NPC just told me that he doesn't know where Zelda is, but he can help me if i find and save his friends that are lost somewhere in the woods. Then Fi spawns are repeats me the same thing again. Then i find one of those lost friends, and Fi immediately spawns only to tell me the same thing again in case i forgot what am i doing. Can't wait to get to the first dungeon only to have every puzzle solution spoiled.

Another thing i don't like so far is the focus on story. Twilight Princess had a 2 hours long opening before allowing us to go into the first dungeon, and Skyward sword is even worse because there are a ton of cutscenes, scripted sequences, forced tutorials for obvious things and other bullshit. I only hope it was made that way for players to get used to a new control scheme, but something tells me the whole game is going to be story-heavy. I'm not against focusing on story, Majora's mask had a lot of characters & sidequests and it worked great - it's just Skyward Sword's story looks like a mishmash of teen drama and another generic chosen one rubbish.

Also, the most unbelievable thing about the story is Link having a romantic relationship with Zelda.

3fFVdaC.png

You expect me to believe that this guy can be romantically involved with a girl? He looks gayer than Broseph.

deadmeme

Learned
Right now, I am playing Daggerfall, one of the best games of all time. Probably have several thousands hours on that one. Playing with a healer warrior hybrid.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went back and finished Outlaws, at long last.

I think I was right in supposing I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time that I dropped it a few months ago, because I had tremendous fun going back and doing the remaining levels. I still think the hitscan is dicey as all hell, and the difference between dying and avoiding getting hit even once is still a complete mystery, but I had a good time, and the final level especially was very nice. Also it bears repeating that the music and the cutscenes are absolutely top notch (although as someone pointed out, when you're making a game like this it's really just a question of "how well can you rip off Morricone" in terms of the music).
Yeah, good game.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Continuing trying to play The Legend of Zelda Skyward sword with a keyboard and mouse.
Is it playable and if its can you maybe put screenshots of your control settings?

it's "playable".

aSK2ag4.png

OAQwlcA.png

d0MZkey.png

LjHRn6t.png

fvz6B39.png

WASD - walking
Mouse - cursor / sword positioning / flight controls
IJKL - slashing with sword (regular sword strikes)
Numpad - slashing with sword (powerful strikes that consume stamina) / raising sword upwards to charge light energy / cutscene interaction (like taking a sword from pedestal) / flapping wings when flying
LMB - sprinting/interacting/sheathe sword
RMB - equip subweapon/subweapons wheel
Left shift - Z-targeting
Left control - Dowsing / first-person view
Arrow down - ask Fi for help / calibrate wiimote / call of loftwing
1 - access inventory
2 - help
Q - equip item / items wheel
E - map

It's not the most ergonomic and optimized configuration, and there are still some tricky things that i can't reliably pull off (eye sentry puzzles where you must rotate your wiimote, and thrusting attacks).
I don't know whether it is possible to beat the whole game like that, sooner or later i may stumble upon a roadblock.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Finished my first playthroughs of Max Payne and Max Payne 2, complete with up-to-date fanpatches recently. I'd only ever played 3 before, and it was surreal discovering that both of those games were the genesis many re-used sound-clips and quotes I'd heard ad nauseam before playing either of them. I' intend to put my memory of Max Payne 3 to the test sometime later now that I've finally beaten its predecessors after 8 years. Also was surprised to learn that these're the same guys behind Alan Wake and Control, eager to see if Remedy has declined or inclined since Max Payne once I get around to them.

Also been paying minor attention to the mess surrounding the XIII remake, it's convinced me to grab the original while it's still discounted on Steam. Will be playing with + Fanpatch installed sometime soon.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Played a couple of co op games:

-Sins of a solar empire rebellion.
A space rts game with bare minimum 4x elements.The battles look nice.
Unfortunately it is too slow.Battles and research take way too much time.the 4 x elements are also shallow as a puddle.Diplomacy is a joke,culture is slow and boring and there isn't anything to find worth exploring except generic planets.
Also the mod scene is a lie.The mods are either broken in balance and bugginess like star trek or just not really finished like the halo mod.I would recommend the expanded 4xmod for the best experience since it fixes the shallow 4 x elements.

-Unfortunate spaecemen
Sci fi fps betrayal game with a left 4 dead campaign.
For the non campaign gameplay you can watch mandalore's review.
The campaign sucks.The levels are boring corridors and there is too much easy enemies thrown your way.It lack the left 4 dead director to balance things.Humor is a big miss for me.

-Mythguard
Card game.
A interesting take on card games.You burn cards in order to get mana to play cards.Thuis means you actualyl have to think about stuff when you get your first hand and during deck creation.Plenty of cards and synergy to play around with.It is also not too much grindy and you can use community decks which rotate ever monday and friday.
It is also one of the few card game that have 2 vs 2.
The artwork is terrible though,it is a weird mix of google images and tumblr shit.Also there is no population for 2 vs 2,which is a big shame.

-Zero k
A spring engine(total annihilation) rts game
Huge amount of single player and coop content.The campaign is a series of planets you can tackle in any way you want in order to unlock the units you want.The missions also are varied in objectives.
The coop is alo weird.You share the same fraction and you both control whatever you want.This leads to one play being economy while the other focusing on combat.
The ai is not bad,it can find holes and exploit them quickly.Although the enemy commander is somewhat suicidal and loves to engage huge armies by himself.
It is quite a fun game if you liked total annihilation.

cosmicray

Savant
Streets Of Rage 4
Decided to finally play it. It's fun, but...
Normal is the right difficulty, I guess, but it could have been a bit more harder since I can beat most of the stages at first. Not sure how hard would be the next difficulty.
In the middle of the game I realized, that it's a bit shallow in terms of combat. I play as a guitar girl so I spawn that flying kick all the time. It gives the opportunity to nullify distance and also quite powerful. Some bosses were pure shooting ones so I beat them quite easily with this kick.
Music is crap, you'd be better off with retro soundtrack.
Can't say anything about art since I don't remember previous games, but design seems to me the same. Also, the game feels the same. I guess that's good, but looks like they decided to play it safe.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing a bit of everything, like I usually do.

Danganronpa 2. I'm probably at the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the game. The fourth killing has been solved. There aren't many characters left. Let us see how this ends.

Ho Tu Lo Shu. I'd recommend this to every codexer if it wasn't for the fact that the game won't start for everyone. English ytranslation run is still fun. Having beaten the game before, even in English, some things are still not obvious to the player. Combat and exploration is great. If you can; try to pirate it to see if it runs. If it does, buy it. It's that good. I seldom replay games these days.

Unlimited SaGa. I've had a love-hate relationship with this game. I love everything about this, except the random wheel that is used for almost everything. Exploration is fun, board game like, graphics are nice, and music is Godlike. To actually get through the game this time around, I am playing on PS2 with save states. So far, so good, and I hope that the fact that I can use said save states will help me get through the story of all characters.

Underrail. Psi has been nerfed, but is still extremely powerful. I'm just doing whatever quests my mind feels like doing. Let's just say that I am not playing this in the most effective way. But I am having fun, and I can survive almost everything. I'm guessing that my playthrough with Expedition content will take me over 100 hours.

Other than those, I am also playing Yakuza 5 and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. Both are great games that I am having a lot of fun with. You know how some games are so retarded that you grow to hate them? This series is retarded in the most lovable way. Over the years, this has probably become my favorite game series. I would have never believed that when I started the first game during the PS2 days. The biggest fears I had for Like a Dragon were the new main character and the new battle system. Both are delivering, though.

My Slime Rancher run is still going strong, too. Still a chill game that with a happy mood.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Went back to finish the last Vogel game, I have only the last of the three vassal to get (and it's nearly done) and the end-game crisis (I never played it, but got spoiled that shit's about to get down). I think the biggest issue is with the same structure that's replicated multiple times: all the vassals, divided in factions and you have to support one, all the forts, with each time all the ressources production areas to clean up of monsters/bandits and so there's too much samey content. And much of that content isn't really relevent to the kind of person we're supposed to be controlling: a prince, mandated to bring a bunch of unruly vassals to heel, commanding hundreds of high-quality troops and you're the one killing the monsters in the mines (a better system might have been ordering your soldiers to do the clean-up).

I also started playing Freedom force for the first time, I really dig the aesthetics, but I'm finding the RTwP gameplay clunky.

Gamezor

Learned
  • Death Stranding - finally got sick of building ziplines and decided to advance and finish the story. I’m up to what Im assuming is one of the final bosses
    Higgs on the beach
    . Loved the game.
  • Thea - owned for a while but just started it. It’s basically a 4x with rpg and roguelite elements in a unique slavic feeling fantasy world. I am enjoying it but can already tell inventory management will be painful. Also, I cant remember that I I played a 4x without either a minimap or full zoom out. Unique and fun thus far.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Still playing RAGE. I got a hot take on this game.

If there was no overworld at all, no car racing, no towns, just a menu town (like Wizardry 1-5) and a list of missions to pick from... the game would be BETTER. Even if they didn't use the spared development time to add any extra levels. Just the same FPS content from the game as is, minus all the crap, it would be a better game overall.

They waste so much of your time going back and forth in the wasteland, walking around that lifeless town of signpost NPCs, and it's all boring fluff.

I'm pretty close to finishing up and in no point did I feel like the open world justified it's existence at all. Subway Town looks cool from afar, I'll give them that, but that is it. Subway Town is also the only midly interesting settlement, but also not enough to make a difference.

deadmeme

Learned
a shooter would be better without all the bloated nonsense that doesn't belong in a shooter, that's the hottest take i've seen yet

I like shooters with balls to the walls action, testosterone, sounds of demons squirting and dying, tons of blood, gore, action. Not those pussy talker FPS games like Skyrim.

Naraya

Arcane
Kind of in anticipation for CP2077 I have decided to finally try out the Deus Ex series. I started with DE:HR and liked it a lot. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, judging from the reviews.

This encouraged me to explore it further so I moved on to DE: MD. Graphic wise it's a gorgeous game, much better looking than DE: HR (however HR definitely has its own style and feel). Unfortunately due to performance reasons I had to stash it for now until I upgrade my PC. I think the game is worth it.

A few weeks passed...

In the past I've tried to get into vanilla Deus Ex at least several times but somehow I always bounced off HARD during one of the first missions. It just didn't feel right, I felt lost and frustrated by the game mechanics. But this time I've decided to keep at it for a while and see how it goes. And boy was that a good decision.
What a game. What. A. Game.
I won't go into details, you can find them in one of many reviews, also on RPGCodex. Let me just say that it went up to probably one of my personal TOP 20 PC games of all time. Ending wise,
of course I merged with Helios.

Question: I have played the GMDX version and didn't encounter any game breaking bugs (though game crashed more than I'd like). But when I look for twitch streams, everyone seems to play with the mod called Revision. Any idea why is that?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Question: I have played the GMDX version and didn't encounter any game breaking bugs (though game crashed more than I'd like). But when I look for twitch streams, everyone seems to play with the mod called Revision. Any idea why is that?
it's a pretty shitty graphics mod that adds clutter everywhere, and makes the game look worse.

Beggar

Cipher
Atreides, you rat, I have finally located you. Time to die

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom