Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terminator: Resistance - from Rambo: The Video Game devs

ADL

Prophet
Was anyone expecting this update? Couldn't recommend this more than I already do. If you haven't and you love Terminator 1&2 especially 1, go play this and give them money for it because they deserve it.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Ok, just played through the new Infiltrator mission.
I got pretty much everything, I think, took me one and a half hours.
Played on extreme difficulty. Humans with plasma weapons can melt you decently fast, but it was still very, very easy.
I did keep all the hud stuff activated because the game tells you to (as you're a terminator).

Anyway, had fun, but the terminator vision gets old (you can turn it off, but...). There's like an IR light in the middle of the screen and the corners can be dark-ish esp with nearby objects there.
Had ammo out the wazoo in spite of the high diff. mode.
I like that the map was from the main campaign and you get to see it from the machine side, sort of.
Found the bunker by accident though, same as with the science lab. Decided to ignore it at first to clear the rest of the map. No human survivors on my watch!
Enemies (including scavengers especially) could stand to have some sort of panic state or just act more scared of you, esp. after a few of them die. Some radio chatter you could pick up while playing of resistance types getting more and more desperate or something could help the atmosphere some more.
They also need to learn to throw some explosives ala Blood cultists and have more weaponry (RPG's or whatever).

I'll replay the campaign at some point with all the accessibility options/hud turned off, but idk. how much that will help. If enemies are deadly, you'll want to go slow and sneaky... Which is overpowered in every game pretty much.
Without the bullshit ultravision goggles (though they're iirc in movie one or two in the future war scenes?) marking enemies you may have some trouble during night missions because of the dusty lighting/post-processing making it hard to see clearly.

I'm curious if the A.I. improvements the devs have talked about help the main campaign be less easy to cheese, but I sure didn't notice anything during terminator mode.

The game is quite flawed from a difficulty standpoint but has some great atmosphere and is still the best Terminator thing since the first movie, maybe the first two.
To think the devs of Rambo: The Video Game managed to do the series justice to such a degree is pretty interesting. Some really dated cinematic/railroady elements here or there, though.
Nice of them to make a free DLC like this, even if it's short and easy. Kind of like making an Empire DLC for some Star Wars thing :)

This whole thing makes me wish we had a proper RPG, Deus Ex style immersive sim or some sort of survival thing with bunker building or whatever in this setting.
Lots of potential...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Watched some videos and this looks like popamole with 3 enemy types.
The shooter gameplay isn't amazing at all (there's more than 3 enemy types, but they are pretty limited in their a.i. unfortunately), comes down to how much you like the old Terminator movies (1&2) and the future war segments.
If you're a Doom Eternal fan then I think the gameplay here will bore you, but if you're up for an (easy) nostalgia trip, it's pretty nice.

IIRC there's so much shit to loot it gets tedious if you're a "explore everything, loot everything" type and you can kind of wear yourself out. Maybe highest difficulty will help with that (less loot, allegedly) but hm.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Going through the files of the Infiltrator DLC one person has found indications that there might be a second DLC in development with its own single player campaign and featuring new characters and Skynet machines such as the T-600 Kyle Reese brought up in Terminator 1 and the HK Centurion, a machine Cameron had made concept art for but which never appeared in any of the movies. It did however appear in some of the games and the comics based on the Terminator IP.
This might be of interest for those who enjoyed Terminator Resistance.

https://www.theterminatorfans.com/t...eaks-reveal-dlc-ft-kyle-reese-cyberdyne-more/

ADL

Prophet
I hope it's not just a DLC but an entire sequel. This is the sort of game that would benefit greatly from another game that iterates on what this did right.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Going through the files of the Infiltrator DLC one person has found indications that there might be a second DLC in development with its own single player campaign and featuring new characters and Skynet machines such as the T-600 Kyle Reese brought up in Terminator 1 and the HK Centurion, a machine Cameron had made concept art for but which never appeared in any of the movies. It did however appear in some of the games and the comics based on the Terminator IP.
This might be of interest for those who enjoyed Terminator Resistance.

https://www.theterminatorfans.com/t...eaks-reveal-dlc-ft-kyle-reese-cyberdyne-more/
This is great stuff. As if it wasn't clear enough these devs love the setting.
:love:
(Also, I'm glad this thread's Decline tag was finally removed)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The gameplay is pretty reminiscent of one of them Elder Scrolls with Guns from Bethesda. The looting, the shooting the sneaking, the dialogue trees with voiced protagonist and some level up with perks. Also the nuked landscape is quite similar to the capital wasteland as portrayed in Fallout 3.

I haven't come across any skeletons in cars or piles of skulls yet. And that's a big disappointment. I hope that is coming. I mean the ground should look like this:

6d1d85107c21689149096872917a73d4.jpg

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I mean, it is nice and all to have skulls on the ground sometimes and they are nice for a dramatical effect but I dont think there is enough people to have this skull density everywhere.:lol:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
This is not really related to this game but according to one source Cameron would like to do a Terminator movie set during the Future War as depicted in the future flashbacks from Terminator 1 and 2 (and shown in Terminator 4)
https://www.theterminatorfans.com/james-cameron-set-to-make-terminator-7-a-future-war-movie/

At this point I would rather wish that he and everyone from Hollywood would stay away from the Terminator license and let it rest, perhaps occasionally having a game made that is based on it.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Afaic, James Cameron is never allowed to touch this franchise again.

I think a lot of classic franchises should stop having sequels, prequels, and remakes.
Even if the original creators/writers are still around they often have lost... well the "spark" that gave them the inspiration to create the original story, characters, setting that set things in motion.
We are lucky that we got a few good follow ups to classic movies.

JDR13

Arcane

I think a lot of classic franchises should stop having sequels, prequels, and remakes.
Even if the original creators/writers are still around they often have lost... well the "spark" that gave them the inspiration to create the original story, characters, setting that set things in motion.

In my mind, the series ended with Terminator 3.

Wunderbar

Arcane
James Cameron is the owner, he just doesn't care. As soon as rights revert back to him he gives them away again, usually to hacks at Paramount.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are the prime examples of this.

JDR13

Arcane

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are the prime examples of this.

Not really on the same level though imo. Prometheus wasn't very good, but it wasn't pure shit like Terminator Genisys and Dark Fate.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you ignore the "ALIEN PREQUEL!!!" aspects of Prometheus it's really not that bad. Certainly some dumb moments, but overall entertaining. Covenant on the other hand...

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
That is also a thing I forgot to mention, a lot of these classic sci-fi, action, adventure, horror, and other genre movies are usually the result of a team of creative people and not just one or two individuals.
It is a combination of the right elements at the right time.

For me Terminator ended with Terminator 2.
With Alien it was Aliens. Alien 3 had a good atmosphere but having read that Alien 3 comic based on William Gibson's script (second version) I would rather have had that.
At the time I would not have minded a movie that would have gone more into the Space Jockeys, hoping that it would an interesting mystery. But the prequels did not answer it in any satisfying way, making me wish that the mystery remained what it was so it could continue to intrigue people for decades to come.
The same goes with a lot of recent Hollywood movies that follow up tie on classics and try to explain the mysteries or answer the open questions, often we are better off with the leaving these open.

But honestly, no more Terminator movies. The franchise has been in a decline since T2, even the spin off material such as comics and books are average to bad in general thanks to writers who don't really understand the universe.

Even most of the games were not that good.
Terminator and Terminator 2 on the consoles were your basically platform with occasional mini game tie in. The Terminator on Sega CD was probably the best entry because of the awesome music.
Terminator 2 Arcade game was enjoyable.
Robocop vs Terminator on Sega/Nintendo 16 bit was a decent action platformer but the characters and enemies could easily be replaced with non license ones.
Terminator 2029 - Operation Scout was this weird Dungeon Master control style action blobber.
Terminator Rampage was shit.
Future Shock and Skynet perhaps good at the time but aged badly.
Dawn of Fate was okay but had its problems.
Terminator 3 the Redemption was basically a railroaded shooter. Enjoyable perhaps for a while but forgettable.
I can't even tell you what the Salvation and Genisys based games are like as I played none of them. I know the console and PC game versions of Salvation are shit, there is a railshooter similar to Terminator 2 Arcade, and there were some mobile games by Gameloft. The more complex 3D one seemed like it could have worked on the PSP.
Genisys only got this crappy cover based shooter.
There were also some small mobile games that did not tie directly into one of the movies including a base managing game that are pretty forgettable.

Terminator Resistance is probably the best Terminator title we have seen in more than a decade that tries to recapture the mood from the movies that started the IP, and it is an okay/fine FPS but open to improvements.
I really hope that Tech Com 2029 gets finished as it looks very promising and might be even better at recapturing the mood of the Future War than Resistance does.

ADL

Prophet
Honestly I'd like to see a future war movie. While Salvation was not a masterpiece or anything, it was definitely the best thing out of the franchise post-T2.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey guys I actually found some skulls littered on the ground so there's at least some accuracy to how the world is portrayed in the movies. However I have yet to see a single skeleton seated behind the wheel of a car.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Honestly I'd like to see a future war movie. While Salvation was not a masterpiece or anything, it was definitely the best thing out of the franchise post-T2.
It had really good moments.
Like they spliced in scenes from a great movie into a shit one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom