Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
By gameplay Origins onwards is 10x better than what came before. BF only has better ship combat cos the timeline allowed good variety of ships, ship weapons etc.
But the ship combat of BF is the better alone than everything else they've done in the series. They should make another game set in the Age of Sail, maybe in the East Indies. The inland exploration could be pretty solid too in that setting.
No, they should stop making games altogether, disband their studio and leave the entertainment industry.

Hellion

Arcane
Skill Up's review has a few WTF moments in itself. He claims that Odyssey's conclusion was "amazing", for one thing, let alone "better than Valhalla's", which is objectively not true. He also expresses frustration at the fact that "he has to level up 150 times", but if he played the game a bit more he'd see that you essentially gain 2 skill points every time you complete a quest.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah his repeated jizzing over the Odyssey story was p. WTF already in his Odyssey review. He's the main reason I don't give a shit about reviews - even someone I kindda align with has enough WTF moments to generally disregard him. Mainly watching his revioos for fun.

Danikas

Arcane
Skill Up's review has a few WTF moments in itself. He claims that Odyssey's conclusion was "amazing", for one thing, let alone "better than Valhalla's", which is objectively not true. He also expresses frustration at the fact that "he has to level up 150 times", but if he played the game a bit more he'd see that you essentially gain 2 skill points every time you complete a quest.
Dude he said that in the review the last zone has required power lvl of 370 and you gain 2 power for each lvl ergo you have to lvl up 135 times to reach that, never played any of the assasins creedz games because i value my time so I cant comment on the story conclusion but knowing Ubitards it was probably shit.

Hellion

Arcane
Playing on default difficulty (2nd lowest of the 4 difficulty levels available), and having by no means actively pursued to finish all sidequests and level up (meaning that I left a ton of unfinished content), when I reached the endgame I was at about 250 power and could easily finish the final zone just by playing a bit more defensively than usual. Which means that simply following the main quest and doing some sidequests pretty much assures that you will eventually be powerful enough to enter the game's final zone.

By no means does the "suggested Power" level prohibit you from questing in overpowered zones (well, it does if you're level 10 and try to quest at level 350 zones, but you know what I mean), unless you're playing on Hard.

ADL

Prophet
Any reason for this being in General Rpg Discussion?
Because it's as much an RPG as Witcher 3, GreedFall or Mass Effect (1).

By gameplay Origins onwards is 10x better than what came before. BF only has better ship combat cos the timeline allowed good variety of ships, ship weapons etc.
But the ship combat of BF is the better alone than everything else they've done in the series. They should make another game set in the Age of Sail, maybe in the East Indies. The inland exploration could be pretty solid too in that setting.
Rumor is that's why they delayed Skull & Bones so significantly. People were angry they could only sail ships, not go on land.

Danikas

Arcane

"Ubisoft wants you to spend real money on ingame exp so you dont have to actually play the game you just bought for 60 dollars"

"You experience everything the game has to offer in the first 10h and then it goes for another 30 by the time you return to the main story its almost inseparable from the side content as it devolves into seemingly endless list of chores :lol:"

"Sometimes when you beat a guy it will play this neat little animation and other times their body will just ragdoll away at the 100 mph :salute:"

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The first game i stopped playing was in 2014. I bought a new GPU and it came with WD1. I played that for awhile until I noticed that besides the hacking gimmick, 90% of the game was just a reskin of the AC games at the time.
I was playing, clearing a gang hideout or something and suddenly, just like that, quit and uninstalled the game. Never played it since, didn't even bother to watch the ending on YouTube.
Today, WD, AC, GR, Division, all the same game. Pure trash. Can you imagine how garbage your game has to be if even your AC fan base is split in two now? Just skimming through the AC subreddit you can find these 2 opposing camps going at it, one crying over the old AC like those games were some sort of classics and the other defending the new formula and saying inane shit like "RPGs aren't for everyone, go CoD yourself!". Yeah, they think these games are RPGs now.
I really hope the new PoP remake fails hard as well as the new SC VR crap so that neither the player base nor Ubisoft can pretend to want to continue these IPs.
Ubisoft of today is not the same one from 15 years ago, not by a cosmically long shot.

ADL

Prophet
incline.png

DemonKing

Arcane
Got my PS5 today and this (also Demon's Souls). Any hints on must have skills to acquire first?

Also does the male or female protagonist have the best voice acting?

Why aren't they making assassin games, why are they making open world crap?

They were always open world, they're just even more open world now than they were before. The real question is why aren't they using the For Honor combat system given the new direction they've taken the combat? It's a much better combat system than what they've been doing.

Paul_cz

Arcane
9 hours in. I have fun with it. It is rpgLite like the previous one, but there are some slight improvements in design.

It is kinda funny to compare the beginning of this game and Kingdom Come. Both have the same story on paper - you play as youngling in medieval village, it gets raided by invading enemy, your dad gets killed, you swear revenge. But the difference in execution is staggering - Kingdom Come despite having fraction of Ubisoft's budget manages to elicity ten times the emotion that Valhalla did. Because it actually let me interact with my family a bit before they die and because the cinematography and music is much stronger. Kingdom Come in general is much better game though.

But, even lame ubisoft attempt at RPG is more fun for me than most other game genres though. I just like open world RPGs.

Any reason for this being in General Rpg Discussion?
Because it's as much an RPG as Witcher 3, GreedFall or Mass Effect (1).

Rumor is that's why they delayed Skull & Bones so significantly. People were angry they could only sail ships, not go on land.

The direction they took with Skull & Bones was fucking stupid. The pirate aspect of Black Flag should have been fleshed out into something like a big modern Sid Meier's Pirates!. Instead they made something that was just the ship to ship combat of Black Flag, and just the ship combat; forget not being able to go on land, the whole swashbuckling boarding part of the ship combat of Black Flag had been exorcised from what they were doing with Skull & Bones. The game sounded like the Monkey's Paw version of the pirate game people wanted them to make after Black Flag.

Renevent

Cipher
So finished the tutorial area (took like 8 hours) and the animus part is fucking laughable. Bunch of hipster assholes in a cabin, whole place should be fire bombed. I don't know why they even bother with that shit anymore and hope there's no much more of it in the game.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Did people here actually buy an AC game at release?

The Codex is not what it used to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom