Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodrayne 3 - Hey, it could happen

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's probably better to kill the demon first before he grows too much, yeah, but you don't have to. Just the fact that the bosses try to kill each other as much as you is cool.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I killed the Nazi first and then the demon. It is indeed a bastard of a fight that way, but the Demon's design is pretty good and its a cool idea.
Bloodrayne was pretty jank, but it does have some nice ideas and details.
I liked the mech sequence. They even updated Rayne's portrait to show that's she's a pilot. The mech handled like crap, but as a WW2 mech it really should and its not too hard despite this.

Blaza

Educated
That last boss fight is great. Not often do you get to fight 2 final bosses that also try to kill each other. And there's no set path to do it, sometimes you die, sometimes the demon dies early, sometimes the nazi guy dies first and it all flows well.

The fight is a cool idea, for sure. I just hated the insta-death timer, and the random need to suddenly be precise with your guns to shoot his heart. If the fight was like every other boss where you just have to shoot/stab I would have liked it a lot more. Or if they just enlarged the heart a bit, I had a hell of a time hitting the damn thing with the janky mouse aiming. I also had an issue where the camera would shake uncontrollably leaving me blind whenever the Big Boy would walk near the hallway where the nazi would run. Though that may have been an issue only on my machine.

A horse of course

That last boss fight is great. Not often do you get to fight 2 final bosses that also try to kill each other. And there's no set path to do it, sometimes you die, sometimes the demon dies early, sometimes the nazi guy dies first and it all flows well.

The fight is a cool idea, for sure. I just hated the insta-death timer, and the random need to suddenly be precise with your guns to shoot his heart. If the fight was like every other boss where you just have to shoot/stab I would have liked it a lot more. Or if they just enlarged the heart a bit, I had a hell of a time hitting the damn thing with the janky mouse aiming. I also had an issue where the camera would shake uncontrollably leaving me blind whenever the Big Boy would walk near the hallway where the nazi would run. Though that may have been an issue only on my machine.

It's not your machine, the enlarged Bellend causes the whole fucking camera to shake like a Back to the Future star when it smashes the room up. Aiming with the special zooming power is hard enough without that shit.

A horse of course

There's a panzerfaust and grenades lying around, it's not too hard to kill Beliar quickly.

The panzerfaust is tough to get a direct hit on his heart with (for max damage), and doesn't respawn, unlike the machine guns.

A horse of course

I noticed GoG has been updated with the Terminal Cut version of Bloodrayne (I only have 2 on Steam). Anyone tried it?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Played the first one, it's a straight forward rerelease that runs on modern PC with prettier graphics, upscaled FMV widescreen and controller support. Kinda wished they updated the low res menus and added modern controller button prompts.

Last edited:

A horse of course

https://af.gog.com/news/the_making_of_bloodrayne_terminal_cut?as=1649904300

Check out this guest article by Ziggurat Interactive with input from Mark Randel, Lead Programmer at Terminal Reality.Originally released in 2002, BloodRayne introduced the world to the sexy femme fatale Rayne, a half-vampire ‘dhampir’ on a quest for vengeance. BloodRayne tapped into the turn-of-the-millennium excitement for hyper-stylized vampire violence, spawning a game franchise that expanded to comic books and a notorious movie series.Originally developed by Terminal Reality, BloodRayne and BloodRayne 2 utilized advanced 3-D graphics (for the time) and a fast-paced, combo-heavy fighting style that has since been built upon by many modern games. In 2020 Terminal Reality was asked to breathe new life into the series by enhancing these fan favorites, updating the original games to look and run better on modern PCs.
BRTC_editorial_1.jpg
Ziggurat Interactive is thrilled to bring the definitive versions of these games to PC. Here is a look behind the curtain at what went into making these updates possible, including insight from Terminal Reality lead programmer Mark Randel.
Enhanced lighting engine
Many updates have been made to the lighting technology in both games to make use of modern hardware capabilities. Lightmaps for the original games were up to 512x512 resolution in 256 colors. We rendered 2048x2048 lightmaps in 32-bit color for every map in the new version. Improved water, smoke, reflection, and fog rendering
BRTC_editorial_2.gif
Fans of the series will remember the Louisiana bayou levels from BloodRayne. Thanks to an improved rendering of water, fog, smoke, and reflections, these levels are much more immersive. All the reflection maps get rendered in high resolution now and scale properly for wide aspect ratios. The fog particles are now high resolution as well and are in 32-bit color.
High-resolution display support
A lot of work was done to make these games work at higher resolution found in most modern displays. Originally both BR1 and BR2 used DirectX 8 to render and supported a maximum of 1024x768 without any hacks. We switched the games to use DirectX 9 using the open-source d3d8to9 code, then updated the original shaders to be compatible with DX9. We recommend playing at your native panel size plus 4x antialiasing if your computer can give you 60fps at that size.
Improved rendering with up to 4x anti-aliasing
BRTC_editorial_3.gif
Gameplay looks smoother than ever with the introduction of 4x anti-aliasing to even out jagged edges on 3-D models. Anti-aliasing is a technique to smooth out the stairsteps between pixels on the screen. There are many ways to do anti-aliasing such as FXAA, multi-sample anti-aliasing, or oversample antialiasing. Because of the way both games render their scenes, we chose to implement oversample antialiasing, it has the highest quality output and gives you a blend of texture samples per pixel, unlike the other algorithms.
Uncompressed textures
As players move about the world they will notice most objects, from floor tiles to Rayne’s blades, will have clearer detail because all original textures can now display without compression. In the previous PC version, texture maps were compressed to 256 colors or 65536 colors. Now the textures use the full uncompressed 24-bit colorspace. This brings out detail that you would have not seen before.
Upscaled cinematics
BRTC_editorial_4.gif
The cinematics in both games look markedly better than ever thanks to AI-driven upscaling. We used Topaz AI to upscale the original DVD quality videos from BR1 and BR2 from the PlayStation 2 to HD quality. We then extracted the subtitles and audio from the International versions to include them as well.
XInput controller support
While console players have always had a tailored controller experience, modern PC players have experienced issues in the original PC versions of the games that have been addressed with the introduction of XInput support.XInput is a relatively new way of controlling input for PC games that did not exist when the original BR1/BR2 PC games were released. By supporting XInput now, we can use a variety of new controller types instead of just a standard controller.
BRTC_editorial_5.jpg

Bug Fixes
There were lots of speed and timing issues in the original PC versions of BR1 and BR2. All of these issues have been located and fixed. Both games were designed originally to only run at 30fps, and running them at faster rates caused lots of bugs to happen. In the new PC versions, we locked the game to 60fps and fixed those issues. Unfortunately, due to the 16+ year-old code, it was not possible to run at higher than 60fps. We fixed some random slowdowns that players encountered in BR2 and fixed some random crashes as well.
Notable improvements
Adding the Russian translations back into BR1 was what we were proud of most in updating that game. We have a huge fan base there and they will be very happy with the result. For BR2, the lighting improvements are substantial. We were able to improve many of the original vector calculations due to having more memory to work with and you can visibly see the results in the first scene of the first level when Rayne is wearing her dress.
BRTC_editorial_6.jpg

Get BloodRayne: Terminal Cut Today!
It has been an amazing experience for Ziggurat to work with Terminal Reality on this iconic game. We’re still blown away by the fans who have kept Rayne alive all these years. Terminal Reality has done amazing work to make these games run at their full potential for modern gamers. We think die-hard fans will notice the many improvements we’ve made and we hope that new fans will get to experience the world of BloodRayne for the first time thanks to these new editions.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
BR3? I don't doubt it can happen. The question is: Do you really want it to happen? Do you wish for Rayne to become a standard SJW-approved female protagonist?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I was looking through my GOG library recently and noticed that in addition to owning the regular editions I now own BR1 and BR2 Terminal Cut. Free upgrade?
These free remasters kicks ass.
Played the first one, it's a straight forward rerelease that runs on modern PC with prettier graphics, upscaled FMV widescreen and controller support. Kinda wished they updated the low res menus and added modern controller button prompts.
I like that they didn't fuck around too much with it, just fixing what needs to be done. They could easily have taken things overboard and fucked things up, like those bloated Bioshock remasters which take up a significantly bigger HDD space but doesn't look much better. If they spent time redoing everything they could just as well put together a third game. Which could be done if someone just grew a couple of balls and didn't nerf Rayne's assets or tone.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
BR3? I don't doubt it can happen. The question is: Do you really want it to happen? Do you wish for Rayne to become a standard SJW-approved female protagonist?

Maybe there's a chance the devs have some respect for the audience and original games and don't fuck it up. And if they fuck it up, we still have the first two games

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Will be SJW trash. Rayne will be uglified and her breasts removed to destroy the male gaze and will have a bulge visible in her/his hot pants.

orcinator

Liturgist
As much as I'd like my wife to get a third (fourth) game I don't expect whoever makes this to stay true to the sex and violence theme or have gameplay that doesn't suck (though in terms of the latter category the bar wouldn't be particularly high).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
As much as I'd like my wife to get a third (fourth) game I don't expect whoever makes this to stay true to the sex and violence theme or have gameplay that doesn't suck (though in terms of the latter category the bar wouldn't be particularly high).

I said it before and I'll say it again - Platinum should pick up the BloodRayne franchise.
They know how to make good character action games and they aren't afraid of sexy women like the west are right now.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I said it before and I'll say it again - Platinum should pick up the BloodRayne franchise.
They know how to make good character action games and they aren't afraid of sexy women like the west are right now.

With the caveat that it must be released crossplatform and DRM-free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom