Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

I liked how the dude said Valley of Defilement is "a truly iconic level in gaming history" :lol:

Well, the Valley of Defilement was the most widely copied in later Souls games, if that is how he defines "iconic". :M

Demon-s-Souls-Tower-of-Latria-1.gif

I still maintain that the Tower of Latria is the most iconic set of levels in Demon's Souls.

wahrk

Learned
“Unfortunately, the music that was recorded for the original version was digital only,” Moore said. “And I think the score by Shunsuke Kida is so good that to do it real justice on the PlayStation 5, we had to make sure it was recorded by a full orchestra. So we created a modern reimagining of Shunsuke Kida’s amazing score with dramatic new arrangements.

Re-recording the score is nice but why do they have to “reimagine” it? Devs keep doing this with remastered soundtracks even though no one wanted new arrangements. If the original score was so great why do they think they should change it?

Shrimp

Arbiter
“Unfortunately, the music that was recorded for the original version was digital only,” Moore said. “And I think the score by Shunsuke Kida is so good that to do it real justice on the PlayStation 5, we had to make sure it was recorded by a full orchestra. So we created a modern reimagining of Shunsuke Kida’s amazing score with dramatic new arrangements.

Re-recording the score is nice but why do they have to “reimagine” it? Devs keep doing this with remastered soundtracks even though no one wanted new arrangements. If the original score was so great why do they think they should change it?
All of the Souls games have suffered from a sort of power creep where each new instalment has to more grandiose than its predecessor.
The biggest offender is Dark Souls 3 where half of the bosses either light themselves on fire or begin doing anime flips around the arena, all while blasting your ears with bass instruments and choirs going OOHHHH.
The poor sod in charge of the DeS remake's music just couldn't help himself and had to add a large dose of EPIC!!! to the mix to make sure everyone knows it's from the franchise with the big bosses that make your screen say YOU DIED. Both ironic and tragic since out of all the Souls games, Demon Souls is the game least tainted by the over-fixation on boss fight.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The original OST is a mix of a small handful of live musicians with the gaps filled with synthetised imitations of real instruments, probably for budget reasons. The OST is fully orchestrated, meaning it's all live musicians and real instruments and for that you obviously need to broaden up the tonal range. But the core of the Kida's music stays the same. At least I haven't heard any brand new tracks yet.

Vyadhis

Learned

The best solution would have been the option to pick between one or the other but devs so proud of their shit they want to make it mandatory for your listen to it.

The music bothers me less than the sound effects. I re-played Demons Souls two months ago and the weapon impacts, monster groans etc all sounded pretty great for an "old" game. There's just something in all the new videos that makes me cringe when I hear attacks connect, they feel hollow.

But I think most of this is just change for the sake of change. New music, new UI, ugly new font. Its not a remaster but a remake so we have to get all that shit.

wahrk

Learned
The original OST is a mix of a small handful of live musicians with the gaps filled with synthetised imitations of real instruments, probably for budget reasons. The OST is fully orchestrated, meaning it's all live musicians and real instruments and for that you obviously need to broaden up the tonal range. But the core of the Kida's music stays the same. At least I haven't heard any brand new tracks yet.

Well that’s what I would have expected, but it sounded as if they had gone beyond orchestrating out the original music to actually altering the score itself (beyond just instrumentation changes). If it’s basically the same music but done by full orchestra, then that seems fine.

The best solution would have been the option to pick between one or the other but devs so proud of their shit they want to make it mandatory for your listen to it.

The Halo remasters got this part right at least. They also “reimagined” that soundtrack and changed things but you could switch back to the original one instead.

Vyadhis

Learned
Sorry to post twice but I'm watching a steam and the game really looks/feels like a soulless version of Demons Souls. I hate to re-use that meme but that's what I took away. The sounds are so off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxNXD4fKLss&feature=emb_logo
Its in German though

Everything feels worse to me, its probably autism on my part too. If the game comes out and is acceptable then its still worse than the OG Demons Souls. A big part of DeS was atmosphere too and that's a few hits too. Westerners just gotta have their EPIC.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It feels a bit soulless to me to. Also, is it just me or is there something wrong with the movement?

DemonKing

Arcane
OK PS5 arriving today. Will be firing this up first. Never played the original so looking forward to this. Will probably go sword and board to start with.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
character creation, you could make some attractive ... in all the Souls games.

Ah... No.
Demons Souls was the most limited but I made a couple of decent looking characters (not amazing) in DS1. DS2's character creation isn't that bad honestly, I thought DS3's was worse. I recall having some success with BB's too but the most fun I had was making a character who was The Grinch in that game.

Never been a fan of character modeling. Just give me a bunch of well made presets i don't want to spend five hours just to try to get something that looks at least human.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Art does seem ass compared to the original and I can't shake the feeling that changes like making dreglings into regular human dudes was just a way to shoehorn in incloosiveness since now there are also black human dudes.

Robber Baron

Savant
Everything about this just feels wrong. Thankfully the original, in its full capacity, is still avaiable to everyone
on PC

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
qBDPcTc.jpg

Not pictured: Yuria but they butchered her badly and she's ugly looking bright clothes now and is frumpy as hell.

Is it Cumeye Maiden now? Also, fat official's now looking like the L4D Boomer. What the fuck were they thinking?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom