Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Also does the male or female protagonist have the best voice acting?

The female sounds and somewhat looks like a tranny, so if you are woke as fuck and down with the 2020 Nu-Trans-Hotness (see: Abby, the Last of Us 2, et. al.) I'd go for "her"...

Generic-Giant-Spider

Days since Ubisoft cucked out and apologized for something: 2 0

https://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-valhalla/ableist-eorforwine

ffs

The VIRGIN fake burn victim:

Pv6sQSPT.jpg

The CHAD fake burn victim:

f542f29d615f8aa5d062ed9ddfd5a622.jpg

Man, combat in this game is ridiculous. I haven't seen bullet sponges this bad since fallout 4. You're fighting an elk and every hit takes about 0.5% of hitpoints. Luckily, unlike fallout 4, you don't need to worry about ammo.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Great *General RPG Discussion* thread btw and a great CRPG game. It re-defined what a CRPG really is, especially the RP part is unique.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Played 25 hours, playing really slowly but.

The game gave me a quest to find a betrayer among three. It threw red herrings and all of them gave reasonable explanations, and the lady who wanted me to find the betrayer just kept justifying each of their actions whenever I found something, reasonable ones too. Fckn bitch.
*Minor Spoilers*
I had to actually find the clues by exploring, atleast somewhat, ran around an hour in a fckn swamp looking for a clue. Played on Pathfinder mode.
VJ7RgnU.jpg

Even then I was slightly unsure when the time of judgement came, I disregarded feelings for facts and chose. The dude begged for his life and did not once admit he was the traitor. I can't be 100% certain I got the right guy or not.. I am sure this was gonna come back to bite me if I had chosen wrong, I am mostly sure I chose correct... Quite a decent quest.
*Spoilers end*

Game is quite good, it doesn't have the itemization issue from Witcher. Their solution was to just have set armors, kind of like having only Witcher gear in W3 and removing all the mundane loot, I quite like it. And the hard level cap is structured and implemented quite well.
It's a good game, very atmospheric as well. I honestly think this is the first "modern" open world game that has rewarding exploration, Witcher's gameplay is trash.
WdksPQT.jpg

Some other good things:
Fetch some garbage side quests are rare.
Most side quests are small events 4-5 min long. They are not labelled so you don't know what you are getting when you reach it, maybe some cave, maybe some mushrooms, maybe a crop circle.., it's basically points of interest system from Witcher but actually interesting.

Before you take my recommendation know that I shill Watch Dogs Legion, I put it around the same place as FarCry 2, another game I shill for.
I hate Odyssey and found it genuinely atrocious, Origins was meh~ but I like Valhalla, genuinely like it. Take it as you will.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a good game, very atmospheric as well. I honestly think this is the first "modern" open world game that has rewarding exploration, Witcher's gameplay is trash.
You have been playing the wrong Witcher 3. The W3EE mod (+Lazarus submod potentially) is what Whicher 3 should have been.

Erebus

Arcane
I honestly think this is the first "modern" open world game that has rewarding exploration

It's just my opinion, but I think that the appearance and the inspiration of the world you're given to explore matter a lot.

I've heard that AC Odyssey was a pretty shit game, but what I've seen of it - Ancient Greece, the Aegean Sea, the islands - honestly looks pretty good. I didn't play the game, but I was slightly tempted. Its world at least seemed like it would be enjoyable to explore.

Whereas this :

This looks like a shit world that I really don't want to spend time exploring. The snowy setting of the beginning of the game looked nice, but this doesn't. It reminds me of a thousand bland settings found in a thousand video games.

It also reminds me why I find Antiquity considerably more fascinating than the Middle Ages.

Mazisky

Magister
I honestly think this is the first "modern" open world game that has rewarding exploration

It's just my opinion, but I think that the appearance and the inspiration of the world you're given to explore matter a lot.

I've heard that AC Odyssey was a pretty shit game, but what I've seen of it - Ancient Greece, the Aegean Sea, the islands - honestly looks pretty good. I didn't play the game, but I was slightly tempted. Its world at least seemed like it would be enjoyable to explore.

Whereas this :

This looks like a shit world that I really don't want to spend time exploring. The snowy setting of the beginning of the game looked nice, but this doesn't. It reminds me of a thousand bland settings found in a thousand video games.

It also reminds me why I find Antiquity considerably more fascinating than the Middle Ages.

That's highly subjective, I prefere 1000 times the classic medieval\meadows environments to the point that the location is the only thing tempting me to buy this game

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

I hate to turn this into a screenshot thread but this game has exceeding variety, I hate Odyssey btw. Don't like bright colourful shit, prefer dark depressing cold stuff personally. So maybe this doesn't work for you.

kUl3VEs.jpg

25 hours of play:
sEj3jN7.jpg

xeLNB2Q.jpg

77O8d3s.jpg

uUGXgx9.jpg

CFncjlg.jpg

1YYwE0I.jpg

DpO88jw.jpg

UQAQa7Q.jpg

LWgVaHp.jpg

Ew8HWnH.jpg

You have been playing the wrong Witcher 3. The W3EE mod (+Lazarus submod potentially) is what Whicher 3 should have been.
The EE modded version is the only one I play, it's not really a solution as it kind of removes almost all value from gear, I just hunt down Bear Armor for the appearance. First I'm hearing of Lazarus, will try that when I go back in for a replay.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Skill Up's review has a few WTF moments in itself. He claims that Odyssey's conclusion was "amazing", for one thing, let alone "better than Valhalla's", which is objectively not true. He also expresses frustration at the fact that "he has to level up 150 times", but if he played the game a bit more he'd see that you essentially gain 2 skill points every time you complete a quest.

JooTuber reviewers are a bunch of degenerate shills pandering to the normies. I guess they throw in the occasional edgy critical review to try and maintain that 'street cred' but overall they are mostly just as bad as the mainstream journos. And number of subs generally correlates with how much of an establishment shill they are and how closely they tow the line.

I mean this is the perfect example, arguing Odyssey is a masterpiece compared to Valhalla? They are both the same sloppy pile of garbage and virtually identical in game mechanics and philosophy. Trying to argue semantics about which one is better just shows how critically bankrupt this guy is on what constitutes truly great game design. I am sure this 'Skill Up' dumbfuck thinks Skyrim is the greatest game ever made. He is the perfect voice for a generation that hails Bethesda and Ubisoft as the pinnacle of modern gaming.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
This game is moderately fun and worth the $15 rental price for the Ubisoft subscription. It really just left me craving replays of Expedition: Vikings and Viking Conquest though.

Oracsbox

TLDR..

Progress review..I haven't finished it yet...

1 Combat
I like the archery and you can stealth virtually everything, normal combat isn't where it should be tho', the camera definitely pans out to far, it's just not as good as other creed games, move-sets seen more limited as well.

2 Graphics
Very Good except for the wombyn, every single one I've seen is as ugly as fuck, would not bang, it's verging/is annoying.

3 Eivor
I've only played as male Eivor, I find the concept of warrior wombyn ludicrous, I genuinely like the guy, he's also one of the few player characters who seems to be in control and not at the beck and call of others.

4 Mini games
The drinking game is crap, the others are ok, Orlog is a high point, but I'm starting to see how you can beat the AI fairly easily/consistently.

5 Puzzles
Everything is a puzzle, opening doors finding treasure etc..if you don't like this, I can imagine the game will send you nuts.

6 The Gay
One dude asked me to plow him, I told him to fuck off, there's two gays who run London, so fairly lifelike.
A lesbian twat in another other town, wasn't needed and it's stupid in a game like this

7 Mini/Side quests
Some are funny, some are sad, and are fairly well done in general.

8 Bugs
No game breaking ones, I can do every quest I tried, they mainly seem, at least for me.. to be a few floating objects, the occasional movement glitch etc..most of which I can see being fixed in the next patch.

9 Armor and Weapons
There's not many to collect, so not much fashion whoring, which is a shame, it's more about upgrading the things you have.

10 Skills and Abilities
The skill tree is massive, but it's pointless, increments are too small and you'll get them all in the end anyway, no real build potential, very disappointing, big step back from Odyssey.
The abilities need to be found in the gameworld and are the most important for varied combat.

11 Politics
Pervasive I'm afraid, especially concerning immigration, the emphasis is on the Vikings did nothing wrong and the Saxons should be grateful they were invaded and anyone seen opposing it..is a BIGOT !
Also every wombyn is stronk and amazing

12 Children
For some reason many of the children have American voice actors and it's jarring as fuck, I really don't like it, why couldn't they get Scandinavian and English child actors ?

13 Vinland
You go to America for a short stretch but I'm not sure why, unless you've played Assassins Creed 3 you won't understand any of the refrences, also all the things you collect.. can't be brought back with you ! so no Indian outfit in Britain, and having a lot of the dialogue in Indian was mental, I have to sit there listening to gibberish.

14 Choice/Dialogue
There's a lot of talking, more than any other Creed.
Choices : some it seems, not as much as I would like tho''.
I can certainly kill off characters with it, how big an impact this has at the end ? I'm unsure as yet.

15 Exploration
I do enjoy riding about doing things, but I would like more forts and camps to attack.

16 Micro transactions
If you play the game every day and do the Reda tasks you can eventually buy every item in game..although it would probably take a year or two !
..if you don't want to do that, some of the items do look good but are far to expensive.

17 Content
Lots ..

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a quest in this game where a racist asks you to help kill a black guy (who is a warlock in the mountains in Norway in 9th century), but the black guy tells you that Norwegians are a bunch of bigots so you help him kill the racist instead. There is no choice to do anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom