Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most played games

deadmeme

Learned
What are your most played games of all time?

Mine are

1. Morrowind
2. Oblivion, Daggerfall
3. Wizardry 6-8, Vampire: The Masquarade- Bloodlines
4. Mount and Blade: Warband
5. Tribes Ascend
6. Civ IV, HoMM3
7. Might and magic VI and VII
8. Heroes and Generals
9. Wh 40k Soulstorm and Dark Crusade
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1. Rome: Total War (with mods)
2. Heroes of Might & Magic 2&3
3. X-Com: Terror from the Deep & Ufo: Enemy Unknown (the original)
4. Age of Wonders 1&2
5. Fallout 2
6. Witcher
7. Dragon Age: Origins
8. Europa Universalis 1&2

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you both base those on hours played?

Propably. Most of those games I played long before platforms like Steam or Gog which actually measure playtime, so these are only my calculations.

In that case it would be

1. Thief 2 (I played it long before Steam, but even on Steam it's my most-played game based on hours, if we include my time spent with the game's level editor)
2. Rome and Medieval 2 Total War (with mods)
3. Age of Empires 2
4. Morrowind
5. Arcanum

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Civ 2&4
Fallout 2
HoMM 3 (hotseat)

I haven't kept book, but those four I know for sure have a relatively large (probably larger than others) number of hours behind them over the years.

My best guesses, I never counted hours. I'm fairly sure Vic 2 is first; I played it so much and for so long that I hate it now.

Victoria 2
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Kenshi
Civ 2
Age of Empires
Master of Magic
Final Fantasy VII and VIII
Gran Turismo
Fallout 2 (always played together with 1, but that one is much shorter)
Fallout New Vegas
Mount & Blade, including Warband
Jagged Alliance 2

Obviously, strategy and RPGs are the biggest time wasters (Gran Turismo is an RPG).

Falksi

Arcane
1. X-Com: Ufo: Enemy Unknown (the original)
2. Witcher 2
3. Dragon Age: Origins
4. Rome: Total War
5. Morrowind
6. X-Com Apocalypse
7. Final Fantasy X
8. Mass Effect 1
9. GTA Vice City
10. Nu X-Com: Enemy Within

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Might and magic 6
Deus Ex
Vampire bloodlines
Thief 2
Gothic 3 and other PB games :)
AoE2
Vogel's games like geneforge and avernum
Also i have like 5k hours in eu4.

Those are the games i replay frequently.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Those I have the hours on Steam and know I played a lot:
  1. Company of Heroes (top 1, can't help it with the multiplayer)
  2. BG2
  3. Civ V
  4. Dark Souls I & III
  5. Dota 2
  6. Mass Effect
  7. Mount & Blade
  8. Total War Rome II
  9. Dawn of War
  10. Fallout New Vegas
Those I'm 100% sure are probably played more than some above even if I don't have the hours prior to Steam:
  • FFVII
  • BG2 (yes, again)
  • Civ II
  • Heroes of Might & Magic 3
  • Diablo
  • Ultima Online
  • WoW
  • EDIT: Starcraft (saw someone else write it and I totally forgot that game)
  • EDIT: Red Alert (the previous one made me think of this one also)
EDIT: With this list, you can probably guess I started playing games in 96 with Diablo, Red Alert and Civ 2 and kept at it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quake 1 with mods
HoMM 3 WoG
Morrowind
Diablo 2 LoD
Wh40k DoW 1
Starcraft
Gemcraft
Neverwinter Nights 1 modules

Melcar

Arcane
PC games or can we do consoles too?

Baldur's Gate (PC)
Icewind Dale (PC)
Fallout (PC)
Fallout 2 (PC)
Fallout Tactics (PC)
Rome Total War (PC)
Thief (PC)
Descent FreeSpace 2 (PC)
Temple of Elemental Evil (PC)
Final Fantasy VII (PC)
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past (N64)
Golden Eye (N64)
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)
Star Fox (SNES)
Megaman X (SNES)

Those are probably the ones I played (and still do) the most. The ones that I stayed up all night on and caused me to fail classes in high school.

Last edited:

Silly Germans

HoMM3
BG1/2 with mods, mostly BG2 if you count Tutu and the like as BG2.
Warcraft 3 with fun maps
Half-Life 1 + CS1.6 and other various mods
Unreal Tournament
Quake 3

I played a shit ton of games in local lan regularly, typically the whole weekend. The regulars from then must have accumulated much more time than any single player game. I think only HoMM3 is close to the top multiplayer games and its still gathering hours, while i haven't touched most of the multiplayer games in this list since years.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well doing this by memory, may be a little wrong but those are definitely my top 10 most played (not necesserily what i consider best though):

1) Skyrim. Insane amount of hours on this one, keep playing with mods to this day
2) Heroes of the Storm I must have played around 8.000 PVP matches on this one over the years. Stopped playing it for good.
3) Fallout 4 Same as Skyrim, love it to death, i don't see myself stopping playing this for the foreseeable future
4) Witcher 3 I have completed this 3 times already, 2 of those were 100% runs with both DLC. I suppose this means around 300+ hours for all the runs
5) Empire Total war Steam says i have like 560 hours on it, but i am sure many of those were me having it open in the background etc. Still i played it a lot, definitely more than any other Total War game, and it is the only one i enjoy playing to this day. Loving the time period and early firearm combat.
6) Diablo 3 I have completed 3 seasons, completed the whole campaign (+ expansion) once, plus one half baked season that i didn't finish. I have played all playstyles/sets with all classes. I suppose this takes it to a decent amount of playtime, though i won't be playing it anymore
7) Fallout New Vegas . This is a strange game for me. I have completed it 3 times and have made several other characters and played many hours on them, but for some odd reason i never played any DLC, except the science fiction one, which i didn't even complete. Still i suppose in terms of hours i spend decent amount here
8) Fallout 3. Not as many hours as in NV, although i did enjoy F3 more than NV and i consider it a better game. Have completed the first 3 DLC to come out as well, never played Mothership Zeta and the previous one i don't remember how it was called. I suppose i played NV more because the campaign had more options to choose and thus i liked exploring those more, while FO3 was pretty straightforward, even if i enjoyed the locations/map more.
9) Civilization V . I have played this one a lot over the years. While i have played ever civ game since II, V was the first one that really clicked with me, mainly due to the combat being more wargame-like. Thus i spent more time playing it.
10) Xcom Apocalypse. This is the only oldie on this list, because i must have completed it many many times when i was younger.

Now that i am looking at my list, i realise something that tells everything you need to know about the gaming industry: Most games are relatively recent, released in the last decade or close to this decade. This is not just because those games are better, but mainly because i definitely changed my gaming habits as i grew older. When i was younger i kept playing like 10-20 different games per month, but most of those i only played up to a point and i only ever completed a few. But lately i stopped doing that and instead focused on re-playing games i enjoyed a lot rather than playing everything in the market for a little while. There are not many games that interest me anyway, i found out that 2012 was really the last relatively good year for me. Since 2013 i only ever found a few games per year worthwhile, and i think the last decent year was 2016. After 2017, it is a 4 year old drought for me. And it doesn't show any sign of stopping. I may be getting old and losing interest on games though. I am mostly interested on Bethesda games, plus a few 4X games, twin point hospital, etc, games like that. And i don't have much time to play those anyway, being a full time professional has its bad side, lol.

PS: If Football/Championship Manager was a single title, it would probably top my chart, since i have played it for many years since it was called Championship Manager 97/98. I am not playing it anymore as it has become too heavy and complicated and too time consuming and boring, but seeing as i have played it for at least 10 different yearly versions, perhaps more, and i played it for at least 40-50 hours each year, some years much more, could maybe even top Skyrim for me.

Last edited:

deadmeme

Learned
Well doing this by memory, may be a little wrong but those are definitely my top 10 most played (not necesserily what i consider best though):

1) Skyrim. Insane amount of hours on this one, keep playing with mods to this day
2) Heroes of the Storm I must have played around 8.000 PVP matches on this one over the years.
3) Fallout 4 Same as Skyrim, love it to death, i don't see myself stopping playing this for the foreseeable future
4) Witcher 3 I have completed this 3 times already, 2 of those were 100% runs with both DLC. I suppose this means around 300+ hours for all the runs
5) Empire Total war Steam says i have like 560 hours on it, but i am sure many of those were me having it open in the background etc. Still i played it a lot, definitely more than any other Total War game, and it is the only one i enjoy playing to this day. Loving the time period and early firearm combat.
6) Diablo 3 I have completed 3 seasons, completed the whole campaign (+ expansion) once, plus one half baked season that i didn't finish. I supposed this takes it to a decent amount of playtime, though i won't be playing it anymore
7) Fallout New Vegas . This is a strange game for me. I have completed it 3 times and have made several other characters and played many hours on them, but for some odd reason i never played any DLC, except the science fiction one, which i didn't even complete. Still i suppose in terms of hours i spend decent amount here
8) Fallout 3. Not as many hours as in NV, although i did enjoy F3 more than NV and i consider it a better game. Have completed the first 3 DLC to come out as well, never played Mothership Zeta and the previous one i don't remember how it was called. I suppose i played NV more because the campaign had more options to choose and thus i liked exploring those more, while FO3 was pretty straightforward, even if i enjoyed the locations/map more.
9) Civilization V . I have played this one a lot over the years. While i have played ever civ game since II, V was the first one that really clicked with me, mainly due to the combat being more wargame-like. Thus i spent more time playing it.
10) Xcom Apocalypse. This is the only oldie on this list, because i must have completed it many many times when i was younger.

Now that i am looking at my list, i realise something that tells everything you need to know about the gaming industry: Most games are relatively recent, released in the last decade or close to this decade. This is not just because those games are better, but mainly because i definitely changed my gaming habits as i grew older. When i was younger i kept playing like 10-20 different games per month, but most of those i only played up to a point and i only ever completed a few. But lately i stopped doing that and instead focused on re-playing games i enjoyed a lot rather than playing everything in the market for a little while. There are not many games that interest me anyway, i found out that 2012 was really the last relatively good year for me. Since 2013 i only ever found a few games per year worthwhile, and i think the last decent year was 2016. After 2017, it is a 4 year old drought for me. And it doesn't show any sign of stopping. I may be getting old and losing interest on games though. I am mostly interested on Bethesda games, plus a few 4X games, twin point hospital, etc, games like that. And i don't have much time to play those anyway, being a full time professional has its bad side, lol.

PS: If Football/Championship Manager was a single title, it would probably top my chart, since i have played it for many years since it was called Championship Manager 97/98. I am not playing it anymore as it has become too heavy and complicated and too time consuming and boring, but seeing as i have played it for at least 10 different yearly version, perhaps more, and i played it for at least 40-50 hours each year, some years much more, could maybe even top Skyrim for me.

I also like to focus on fewer titles. I don't have to play every game, but those that I play I play on Highest difficulties ( In case of CIV IV it is Emperor).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I also like to focus on fewer titles. I don't have to play every game, but those that I play I play on Highest difficulties ( In case of CIV IV it is Emperor).

Yeah, there are so many games out there, but you can only enjoy most games if you focus on them. I don't have the learning capacity for games anymore. Having too many stuff on my mind, i can't focus on tens of different complicated video games as well, cause i will lose performance professionally (AND spiritually). The mind can only absorb information and focus on a few fields during a time frame before it exhausts. I find that playing games i have already mastered is like some form of "comfort food" for me since i don't have to spend the energy to master new games. It is certainly easier to play a game you already mastered at a higher difficulty, than playing a brand new system on an easier difficulty. I prefer reserving my memory for learning actually useful stuff rather than vidya games.

This is why i don't like playing complex autistic spergy micromanagement heavy crpgs anymore, the kind most codexers appear to like. I find them a waste of time, except for DnD based games (and derivatives like Pathfinder and PoE), cause DnD i already know so i don't have to re-learn it. Skyrim is simpler and more fun for me.

deadmeme

Learned

Yeah, there are so many games out there, but you can only enjoy most games if you focus on them. I don't have the learning capacity for games anymore. Having too many stuff on my mind, i can't focus on tens of different complicated video games as well, cause i will lose performance professionally (AND spiritually). The mind can only absorb information and focus on a few fields during a time frame before it exhausts. I find that playing games i have already mastered is like some form of "comfort food" for me since i don't have to spend the energy to master new games. It is certainly easier to play a game you already mastered at a higher difficulty, than playing a brand new system on an easier difficulty. I prefer reserving my memory for learning actually useful stuff rather than vidya games.

This is why i don't like playing complex autistic spergy micromanagement heavy crpgs anymore, the kind most codexers appear to like. I find them a waste of time, except for DnD based games (and derivatives like Pathfinder and PoE), cause DnD i already know so i don't have to re-learn it. Skyrim is simpler and more fun for me.

Wizardry and Might and Magic fall into that category. I play video games which are funnest to me. This is not my only hobby, I also read a lot and train swimming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom