Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Dayyālu

Arcane
Note that this LP may disappear once SA forums finally collapse and the LPArchive follows, the author is banned and demands his LPs and works to be removed (it happened before already, much to my dismay for some titles), or something like that.

In another age I liked the LPArchive a lot (when I had more free time) , but I am curious, what got nuked? One of the few islands of sanity (bar when they did VN LPs) of SA was their LP subforum.

lightbane

Arcane
Note that this LP may disappear once SA forums finally collapse and the LPArchive follows, the author is banned and demands his LPs and works to be removed (it happened before already, much to my dismay for some titles), or something like that.

In another age I liked the LPArchive a lot (when I had more free time) , but I am curious, what got nuked? One of the few islands of sanity (bar when they did VN LPs) of SA was their LP subforum.
One of the users (Azure something I think he was called) got banned for one reason or another, and then, he demanded for all of his LPs to be taken out of the archive for... Reasons (something about not wanting others to use his work I believe). They complied, which means that LPs of obscure games like Saga Frontier 2 were deleted from the Archive. A complete waste.

Not sure I'd heard the bit about Vanquish before in this video. He says that at first it was meant to be more of a hack and slash game in large areas. The original idea for it sounds about the same, but instead of linear levels, you had big stages where the aliens that were invading different planets would would build factories and produce enemies in real-time, and you'd have to go in and destroy them. But they couldn't do the stuff with the large levels while having it look like it did, so they reworked it towards having linear levels.

Now I just hope he returns to that original idea for it again.

Oh yeah, God Hand was a game he made just for himself, and came about because he loved Final Fight and was completely disgusted upon seeing the Final Fight Streetwise game made by Capcom USA. I think he called it "shit," which isn't usually the kind of candor you get from Japanese developers talking about other people's stuff.

Last edited:
EmLkZByW4AE3-rc

EmLkZB_XUAAhYO7

EmLkZCPXcAIqWhJ

EmLkZCYW4AEZn12

EmLlVM1XUAE42n7

EmLlcehW8AcsxzU

EmTPhQ9XMAAggZU

EmTRuWBXEAIryz8

EmU3BxJXUAAr6x4

I've been kind of surprised we've never gotten something like this as a game. Not from Nintendo themselves with Mario, but from someone else on the Xbox or PlayStation. Like someone doing a pretty straight Super Mario 64 feeling 3D platformers when it comes to gameplay, but making it look like a realistic and weird and dark take on the world of Mario...which basically just dips into the realm of how '80s live action kids movies like Return to Oz, The NeverEnding Story, and Henson movies like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal looked. Been surprised nobodies done that with Zelda too, given how big these things are, and how they're only on Nintendo systems.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I've been kind of surprised we've never gotten something like this as a game. Not from Nintendo themselves with Mario, but from someone else on the Xbox or PlayStation. Like someone doing a pretty straight Super Mario 64 feeling 3D platformers when it comes to gameplay, but making it look like a realistic and weird and dark take on the world of Mario...which basically just dips into the realm of how '80s live action kids movies like Return to Oz, The NeverEnding Story, and Henson movies like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal looked. Been surprised nobodies done that with Zelda too, given how big these things are, and how they're only on Nintendo systems.

Well its either because Nintendo is very protective with image of their IPs that have always been family friendly games, or they just want to play safe with their most prized IPs.

Then again maybe no developer pitched them intriguing enough concept for them to give a green light for a dark game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderbar

Arcane
American McGee's Alice and its sequel are probably as close to your description as we got.

Well its either because Nintendo is very protective with image of their IPs that have always been family friendly games, or they just want to play safe with their most prized IPs.

Then again maybe no developer pitched them intriguing enough concept for them to give a green light for a dark game.

I don't mean Nintendo doing it. I'm saying I'm surprised another studio hasn't made some Mario-ish platformer that plays like a 3D Mario game, that takes place in a weird darker looking realistic Mario like world, but do it on a PlayStation or Xbox console where they can't have Mario. It seems weird because normal guy fighting Gamera, riding weird dinosaurs, shooting fireballs, and having to deal with monsters out of like Matango and Little Shop of Horrors would still look cool in a realistic fantasy type setting too.

It feels like something that'd be less likely to happen now, since more cartoony stuff has come back into vogue. But from like 2000 to just a few years ago when you were still seeing lots of realistic versions of X cartoony character, I'm a little surprised we didn't get it. What happened instead when everything was shifting to looking more realistic was we just stopped getting platformers.

That's not something I think Nintendo would do with the characters. Although I was a little surprised to hear Breath of the Wild almost was a darker game. Zelda I guess I could see them getting dark with, and they actually have outside of the games with the offical art they had Katsuya Terada do for A Link to the Past.

aS9a4CG_d.jpg

rb6DZTl_d.jpg

American McGee's Alice and its sequel are probably as close to your description as we got.

Yeah, while writing that the Alice games (to a certain extent) and Team Ico's stuff definitely came to mind at least on an aesthetic level.

Neuromancer

Augur
I've been kind of surprised we've never gotten something like this as a game. Not from Nintendo themselves with Mario, but from someone else on the Xbox or PlayStation.
I haven't played the games myself yet, but some people say, that the Darksiders series (especially the second part) play a little bit like a dark Zelda game.

Citizen

That's not something I think Nintendo would do with the characters. Although I was a little surprised to hear Breath of the Wild almost was a darker game. Zelda I guess I could see them getting dark with, and they actually have outside of the games with the offical art they had Katsuya Terada do for A Link to the Past.

Twilight Princess is pretty dark (as far as Nintendo games go)

lightbane

Arcane
I suppose Luigi's Mansion 1 is the closest thing that we'll ever get to a "dark Mario-style" game, even though it is not a platformer. It is an amazing parody of RE1 though.

lightbane

Arcane
Remember games where characters of multiple franchises fought it out? Like Smash Bros basically. Remember how the PC had a few cool fighting games of its own in the early days? How would a Smash Bros-style game made nowadays by hipsters/indie developers be, then? Absolutely awful, you say? Sadly, it seems so.

I hope they're fined for featuring poor Toejam and Earl in this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom