Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

V_K

Arcane
Drakensang & Blackguards lovechild
From what little I've played, this is a ridiculously apt description.

Is that a good or a bad thing?
In my book - definitely good, I liked both BG and DS.
Blackguards has very good combat, strong encounter design and a fairly deep character system. If this game matches it we will be in good shape. So far it shows promise but the encounter design is pretty simple.
To me, the main similarity between the two is the active use of environment for tactical options/considerations.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Blackguards has very good combat, strong encounter design and a fairly deep character system. If this game matches it we will be in good shape. So far it shows promise but the encounter design is pretty simple.

Also fights are challenging even for good party.

Which was a surprise.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1096530/view/2932367519407809444

Dev Update #23 - Winter Patch Preview!
Hey there folks,

Our Steam Early Access Launch has been a blast so far. We've spent hours upon hours reading your messages, comments, suggestions, feedback... and it's been great! This is everything we wanted from the Early Access period. Anyway, now that things have calmed down a bit, we're back with our scheduled Dev Updates - this time with a preview of the upcoming Winter Patch, which should drop in the coming months. But before that... Let's greet our newcomers with our usual ritual - a picture of one of our fluffy companions!

2bd2fda4748b31675e3d6c40840ed3bb85a1af25.jpg

Say hello to Tallulah, our 3D artist's little buddy!

Winter is Coming
Grab your coat and fire up your computer, here's a little sample of what's coming next!
  • A new area and its set of quests, taking place after the Necromancy Main Quest
  • The Scavenger System - no more lugging around all the junk you see lying around
  • New combat features, such as hiding during combat and applying Poison onto your weapon
  • More customization options in Character Creation, and a bit of plastic surgery on some faces
  • Inventory and Shopping improvements, hand picked from your suggestions
  • Still under consideration, but we might be adjusting the lighting system following your feedback - potentially not in this patch!
  • And plenty of other additions, that we'll talk about in the coming weeks!
8f55eba0f7d779af0743c67c8c2ba3eb37aa6c4d.jpg

More content! With that, you should definitely be able to reach level 6 by the end of Early Access
Got a Light?
If you've been following Solasta for a while now, you might remember that the main criticism of our Demo (Ruins of Telema) was the camera - most people had issues moving the camera around without bumping into walls or other obstacles, making the experience slightly more painful than we originally envisioned. As such, we've worked quite a bit on that topic before the launch of our Early Access - and while we do still have a few hiccups here and there, complaints about camera control are now much rarer!

The most common complaint of our Early Access version has since switched to our Light System which we've explained more than a year ago in an article[www.solasta-game.com]... and not without good reasons. We've been reading through your messages and suggestions, and we find ourselves agreeing on quite a few of them. The largest issues being:
  • We've been saying that Solasta is faithful to the 5e Tabletop ruleset, but we've made changes regarding the lighting rules
  • This design change wasn't clearly explained in-game, leading many people to be disappointed after expecting their Darkvision characters to be able to see without light
  • Fighting in dark environments is frustrating due to often rolling with disadvantage, especially against enemies that like to stay at range
While we had our reasons to change the lighting rules originally (as stated in our article[www.solasta-game.com]), we've come to appreciate how difficult it is for Tabletop players to adjust to that new set of rules - especially since everything else stays fairly close to the original Tabletop ruleset. So... we're going back to the drawing board to make it better! After all, that's what Early Access is for is it not? Gather feedback from the players, keep what people love and rework what people find problematic.

4480e021fb81d9e1fd2902d119183647c679ed90.jpg

A screenshot from more than a year ago! This old level named "The Crypt" sadly no longer exists.

For those who liked the challenge of playing around with the light during combat, fear not - light & dark, much like verticality, is a pillar of Solasta. We've been discussing about many potential options - one of them being to stop penalizing the player and instead buffing the monsters while in the dark. This way we can revert the lighting rules back to its original tabletop version, but still heavily encourage players to use light properly against monsters that benefit from the darkness. We're also discussing about adding ways to light enemies from afar, such as throwing torches for teams without spellcasters, or even adding a few homebrew spells.

That being said, keep in mind that all of this is still being discussed and tested - so we may not add everything I've been talking about above. We'll try to get a few changes implemented into the Winter Patch, but no promises!

Features and Improvements
Lighting isn't the only thing getting improved! We've made tons of little improvements here and there as well as adding missing features that we originally planned for our Early Access launch (that didn't quite make it due to time constraints). Here are a few of them that you can look forward to once the Winter Patch goes live.

e67b49a67381f29147bc884df2819002204d6276.gif

AoE loot is finally a thing! Pick and choose items from the ground after combat, and switch who picks what up on the fly

27373fa598aa76dcd5baf89b7a7fa34287c7cdac.gif

Double click to loot & equip items, two quivers to easily switch between normal and magic arrows

6782e8cac1ef3f258bdcffb0a0c982380d80d93c.gif

The Hide Action is finally here. Rogues rejoice, sneak attack for everyone! You need to break line of sight first though

9551dcfc413b12e489a55040444c618aa577bfa3.gif

The Dash Action has also been reworked, a simple misclick doesn't eat your action anymore

e7fc5bc76846d5b3ef116757eca8b8e71ddac69f.png

Slowly working our way into increasing our characters' charisma by improving their faces, one by one

This is just a portion of what the Winter Update will contain. Hope you enjoyed today's little preview, we'll be revealing more in the coming weeks! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums[forums.solasta-game.com] or our Discord Server[discord.com].

Read our previous articles here:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Outside of a few fights in the final area I didn't think the light disadvantage was that aggravating.
Even those cases weren't really tied to the light/darkness mechanic itself, but rather the part of the field illuminated by various light sources. I'd be fine if they just increased the area that things like torches and Flickering Lights by one or two squares.

Bara

Arcane
Does no one in this studio own a dog. Always cats!

I hold out hope! Someone on the team must be a dog person. Cats are okay though.

Renevent

Cipher
Dogs are smarter and more loyal than cats. That alone makes them better, but they are also able to be trained, do tricks, are more fun to play with and are better companions for outdoor activities like hiking. I like and have a cat, but my dog is my bro.

The only people who prefer cats are lonely middle aged women :)

Renevent

Cipher

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I never took you for a Korean.

In Germany, the consumption of dog meat continued in the 1920s.[37][38] In 1937, a meat inspection law targeted against trichinella was introduced for pigs, dogs, boars, foxes, badgers, and other carnivores.[39]

I've also read from other sources (this one was wikipedia) that dog meat was sold in germany at the early 20th century, i think they were the last ones in Europe but dog meat was consumed everywhere in Europe during every war and probably everywhere else (native americans, Chinese, of course still have their dog meat festival or had it a couple of years back, Indonesia, etc.)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Poverty was rampant in Weimar Germany. I'd be surprised if they weren't eating dogs.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Yeah, you have to be really desperate to eat something that stinks so bad.
To remove the smell, you just need to wash their bodies in running water for a couple of days. I learned this watching a cooking show aired by our public television service.
I'm not an except on the subject of eating dogs, but I don't think you're supposed to eat the fur.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom