Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

More hard sci-fi than fantasy sci-fi, with a focus on space exploration
Everyone at BGS is working full time on it, and there's a possibility of coming out next year

Knowing Bethesda's record I don't believe them. Believe that they would make a "hard" sci fi because I just don't think they have the skills for that.
I am also pretty sure that marketing would probably insist to make the game more generic sci fi so that it is more approachable for average gamers who only experience with that genre are Hollywood movies and television/streaming shows.

I do think that Bethesda will advertise it as "more hard sci fi".

People misuse the term "hard sci-fi" all the time. IIRC Bioware initially marketed Mass Effect as hard sci-fi, which is utterly laughable.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
People misuse the term "hard sci-fi" all the time. IIRC Bioware initially marketed Mass Effect as hard sci-fi, which is utterly laughable.

Huh really.
These people should read some books that don't involve space armies slugging it out with each other or that don't include fantastic technologies such as faster than light drive or aliens that can communicate in English.

Edit: the books that mainstream audiences consider "slow" or "boring" as it doesn't involve laser gun yielding heroes.

Avarize

Magister
More hard sci-fi than fantasy sci-fi, with a focus on space exploration
Everyone at BGS is working full time on it, and there's a possibility of coming out next year

Knowing Bethesda's record I don't believe them. Believe that they would make a "hard" sci fi because I just don't think they have the skills for that.
I am also pretty sure that marketing would probably insist to make the game more generic sci fi so that it is more approachable for average gamers who only experience with that genre are Hollywood movies and television/streaming shows.

I do think that Bethesda will advertise it as "more hard sci fi".

Imo hard sci-fi on an interplanetary scale is a little boring. If you stay planet side it can be great but moving to the stars I prefer soft.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
is anyone else bored of retro futurism?

If you mean 50s and 60s, yeah.
I have been for a while now suggesting a "used" sci fi setting similar to the old Star Wars movies, original Battlestar Galactica, and the old Buck Rogers show. I always loved a lot of the spaceship and space station designs in those.

Humanity perhaps spread throughout the galaxy, megacorps owning their own sector of the galaxy, Earth having become some kind of galactic backwater. The player being a spacer who is looking for opportunities to strike it rich and against their will being dragged into something that ends up becoming a situation of stellar proportions.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

If you mean 50s and 60s, yeah.
I have been for a while now suggesting a "used" sci fi setting similar to the old Star Wars movies, original Battlestar Galactica, and the old Buck Rogers show. I always loved a lot of the spaceship and space station designs in those.

Humanity perhaps spread throughout the galaxy, megacorps owning their own sector of the galaxy, Earth having become some kind of galactic backwater. The player being a spacer who is looking for opportunities to strike it rich and against their will being dragged into something that ends up becoming a situation of stellar proportions.

Sounds like Legend of the Galactic heroes

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Imo hard sci-fi on an interplanetary scale is a little boring. If you stay planet side it can be great but moving to the stars I prefer soft.

Would have been interesting to see how Obsidian handled this if their Alien RPG had come out. Not saying Alien is fully "hard" sci-fi, but there's no other aliens involved and it's more about space miners slowly moving from one planet to another to mine resources for Earth.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only hard sci-fi RPG I know of is Titan Outpost.

The upcoming Space Wreck also veers to the harder side of sci-fi.

Other than that though...

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Looks like a vapourware,fuck that EA shit is annoying,it is filled with a lot of scams and empty promises.
Stellar Tactics isn't vaporware it has fairly frequent updates. The last was in October. Not every game in EA is a scam. I think it's overused in some cases like BG3 but for smaller devs it can be good. Battle Brothers was in EA for about two years before full release.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Or with games where it doesn't really matter like Kerbal Space Program. Ah remembering Godus that Molyneux scam.

laclongquan

Arcane

Not bored as such, but there is clearly no more devs who can pull that off.

The apex devs for that genre, After Fallout 2, achieved the final peak in Fallout New Vegas. After that, they fall to the depth of Outer World, showing even if they can achieve art style, they dont have the writing muscle to finish it off.

So yeah, might as well put the hope for new retrofuturism game to rest and turn to other themes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://one.bidpal.net/eveningofwishes2021/browse/featured(details:item/4)

Everyone loves creating their own version of the hero of their games, but very few players get to actually BECOME a character within a game itself. The winner of this package will work with the award-winning team at Bethesda Game Studios, including executive producer Todd Howard, to create a character for their highly anticipated upcoming game, Starfield! But it doesn't stop there. You will also win a brand-new, hard-to-find Xbox Series X, and 16 of Bethesda games, including The Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, DOOM and many more. -- Bethesda Softworks team will schedule time to create the character within 3 months of 2/28/2021.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom