Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any game that single handedly managed to revive your weakened interest in gaming?

El Presidente

Arcane
If you went through a period of disinterest/apathy for games and then one particular title managed to bring back your enjoyment in the hobby, then please share which game did it for you cause I feel dead inside whenever I play stuff these days.

:negative:

I still didn't reach the excitement levels of a rotting corpse, but fuck me if I don't feel a thing anymore for most of the stuff I pick to play now. It's like the magic is gone.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
community-made mods with good stories are an exception, but i thought fps games with a focused story were long dead until metro: exodus came along

Ninjerk

Arcane
Probably Battle Brothers and/or NEO Scavenger. Small games that aren't trying to be everything to everyone (I think games, e.g. Witcher and Larian games are guilty of this) and feature a really tight, high-quality, and novel gameplay experience.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
its more like temporary restoration. The scene as a whole is too shit to actually get any lasting joy out of. At every turn i am hounded by decline.

Riskbreaker

Dishonored 2 and Pathologic 2 I guess.
There's a couple more releases I've legit enjoyed and played start to finish (Darkwood, Blasphemous, Hollow Knight, Amid Evil, recently Hellpoint) since I've returned to gaming but, for the most part, it's back to Doom/Quake/Thief stuff and emulation for me. Don't think I'll dump the whole thing again as I did in the past as I really do enjoy the latter but I can't imagine feeling legit excited for anything new again. Or even just caring much at all, positively or negatively.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Not really, no. The gaming industry has lost its touch. I am only interested in sequels/clones to games i already play now, like Bethesda future games, new Civilizations, new CDPR games, new Farcries and Ass Creeds, etc. But my interest is mild even for those kinds of games.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Europa Universalis 3 was the one that brought my interests in gaming back. I started playing it during the withdrawal period when I quit drinking and used it to help maintain my sobriety. The game's high learning curve was perfect for distracting me through the rough patches. Playing EU3 also offered me a sense of perspective about historical colonialism and tribal conflicts that I had never fully grasped before, and I feel like my sensibilities have leaned more conservative after having played it.

10/10 - would colonize Africa and North America again.

The Collection version happens to be on sale for $10 at the moment: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iii/PP-EU03-001.html

Not a specific game, but a genre itself. Having played exclusively RPGs for the last 3 years i was getting extremely burned out of long and text heavy games, so i decided to switch for short games on NES/SNES/GENESIS/ARCADE/GBA and i'm having a blast !

Just in the last 2 months i've already beaten 20 games, never got bored at any point and since they are short i can have fun even with mediocre ones. the games i've beaten in the last 2 months so far:

Castlevania
Castlevania 3
Castlevania - Bloodlines
Castlevania Circle of The Moon
Contra
Contra C
Donkey Kong Country
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Knights of Valour
Knights of The Round
Haunted Castle
Mega Man
Metal Slug 1
Metamorphic Force
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
River city Ramson
Rocket Knight Adventures
Street of Rage
Street of Rage 2
Street of Rage 3
Shinobi 1 arcade
Shinobi 1 Master system
Shadow Dancer arcade
Shadow Dancer Genesis
Sonic Advance
Super Castlevania 4
Super Mario bros
Violent Storm

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nope, never stopped enjoying good old games.

You must be playing some nasty nu-shit to have that kind of experience.

Cut out the cancer and go back to basics.

Reality

Learned
I'd say the biggest things for me is Company of Heroes becaue I was a huge RTS junkie and had to like give up the genre entirely during my college years to play Citybuilders and adjacent stuff instead.

I guess for RPGs the three that mark my transition from playing mainly JRPGs to mainly WRPGs are Skies of Arcadia, SMT IV and Wizardry 8 -

It's kind of weird to think o Skies of Arcadia single handedly killing my interest because my impression was that playing it retroactively exposed game design in almost all - I remember coming up with a "how much healing is necccesary for each Town > Dungeon cycle without repeated inn trips for ANY (90s /Squeenix influenced) JRPG" due to it (Granted Skies of Arcadia has a particularly bad Magic system and godlike healer) -

SMTIV was a game I played because I wanted something harder and it dissapointed me again - Minotaur and Medusa were promising in the first 10 hours, and after that I bulldozed through the entire thing - I'm 90% sure now that it's because of the game not having a VIT stat like other SMT games before so you can stack the main charather without slowing down his Bulk growth like you need to in Nocturne etc al - but at the time I was just frustrated that even the hard JRPGs were diapointing me.

Wizardry 8 I tried and was pleasantly surprised by. It might be slow, but it DID at least make serious attempts to kill party members in the first 5 minutes when so many RPGs struggle to do so in the first 10 hours.

Mortmal

Arcane
If you went through a period of disinterest/apathy for games and then one particular title managed to bring back your enjoyment in the hobby, then please share which game did it for you cause I feel dead inside whenever I play stuff these days.

:negative:

I still didn't reach the excitement levels of a rotting corpse, but fuck me if I don't feel a thing anymore for most of the stuff I pick to play now. It's like the magic is gone.
Half life alyx , expensive to get the magic going again but it definitely does, its the once in a life time experience , in gameplay and immersion . Feels like the same thing when i discovered the amiga after the c64 and the 386 with its cdrom after the amiga , definitely the next big step .

I lost interest in new games somewhere around 2001. My Pentium 200MMX PC was able to run almost any game I wanted to play and even after I reiceved new PC (400 MHz im 2006 and Core 2 Duo in 2008) I still played only stuff released in 90's, with the exception on SiN:Episodes, Quake 4 and late SNK games.

I went back thanks to Duke Nukem Forever - not because it was awesome or so but beceause I've been waiting for that shit since '98. After decade-long slumber I was shocked of what has happened to fps genre - console checkoints, 2 gun limit, auto-regenerating health WTF? Then I sunk into popamole genre just for science and to catch up. Some of the were decent like NecroVision, Wolf-09, Crysis, Binary Domain but the one I felt in love was Bulletstorm.

Then went into modern RPG and as for the western ones, only two got enlisted to my all time favourite list - New Vegas and Bloodlines.

Then (2013) was Nocturne and almost entire Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Series is pretty unique right from the first geam but no geam from 1987-2003 is free from major drawback, most othem are guilty for being broken but if you start with Nocturne, it attacks you with it's mature perfection and this was IT.

To sum up, Bulletstorm, New Vegas and MegaTen are games that brought back the faith in modern games again and since Bulletstorm 2 and Obsidian Fallout are propably not possible, all I want is SMT5 and waiting give me the same pleasant chill as 20 years ago when Quake 3 and Tiberian Sun were about to arrive.

Blaza

Educated
I was feeling the same until like maybe a month or two ago when I started playing games that I missed out on due to being too young or whatever on release. Currently playing through Bloodlines, the Legacy of Kain series, and started Eye of the Beholder but stalled a bit on that one. For a while I also only played colony managers like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld.

Yakuza coming to PC was also a great thing for me, played through all steam releases and got a used ps4 just for 3-6 currently working through 5 and then 6 while I wait for 7 to be gotten to work on Linux.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I had a little revival this year with ToEE and KotC. As flawed as those games are, they drew me in and kept me engaged for hours every day, and it's been a while. Right now I'm playing IWD 2.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
HoMM 2 or 3, Thief 2, nuHitman, Ab Urbe Condita for Alexander Total War.

I was kind of half-heartedly buying cheap games, playing them for a half hour and booting up random stuff over the spring/summer.

Then I gave Elminage Original on the PSP a try and became more invested in it than I had any game in awhile. Same thing with Strange Journey. I had been hungering for a classic RPG with full-party creation and emphasis on combat, I just didn't realize it. A few blobbers were the perfect fit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom