Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Release date moved up by a week, likely because they don't want to release it on the same day with the Polish punk in the town. (Well if he really shows up on time.)

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/839770/view/2923360320136260008

Phoenix Point: Year One Edition Moves To December 3rd
Year One Edition to release one week earlier than planned

Phoenix Point, the turn-based strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop and Snapshot Games, announced that the upcoming “Year One Edition”, which collects the game with all previously released DLC and digital extras, will now release for Windows PC and Mac on December 3rd, 2020. This is one week earlier from its previously announced date of December 10th. Phoenix Point: Year One Edition will be available from most PC digital retailers, including Steam.

Snapshot Games Head of Marketing, Eric Neigher said: “We know a lot of fans have been eagerly waiting for Year One Edition since we announced it earlier this year, and that’s why we are extremely pleased to be able to bring it to them a week earlier than we had planned.”

Phoenix Point: Year One Edition includes all previously released content: 3 DLC Packs (“Blood & Titanium”, “Legacy of the Ancients”, and the “Living Weapons Pack”) and a slew of updates, upgrades, fixes, and new content suggested by the community.

“Year One Edition is the best, most complete version of Phoenix Point yet released, and we’re excited for players to dive into new campaigns with new challenges,” said Julian Gollop, CEO of Snapshot Games and Lead Designer for Phoenix Point. “The team has worked extremely hard to get Year One Edition ready to go, and we know players are going to appreciate that hard work when they play the game.”

Release date moved up by a week, likely because they don't want to release it on the same day with the Polish punk in the town. (Well if he really shows up on time.)
It's funny you should say that. That's precisely what I just read in a backer email in which they admit to wanting "to get as much distance from Cyberpunk as possible". It's funny this little news piece doesn't mention that explicitly.

Polanski

Scholar
This is the backer mail:

Dear Backer,

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077.

Although the reasons are direct, the decision was difficult. We debated internally quite a bit as to whether we should move the game into 2021, to get as much distance from Cyberpunk as possible. We ultimately decided this would be unfair to you, the fans who have waited so long for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition to release on their platform of choice. We certainly understand why others have made the decision to delay their games in light of the Cyberpunkmove, but we want you to be able to play ours as soon as possible, because we’re really proud of it.

This is a risky proposition for us. Believe it or not, a week of development time has a big effect on the quality of a release. The team has been working extremely hard, both on our latest “Arkham” Update, which just came out this week, and on the Year One Edition. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, and we believe we can do that — without crunching — even on this new timeline. Hopefully, you’ll agree that Year One Edition is the best version of Phoenix Point yet released and one of the best strategy games of the year.
We’re excited for you to play Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on December 3. If you haven’t yet, please don’t forget to wishlist us on Steam, or your platform of choice!

Best regards,

The Phoenix Point Team

It’s almost like they admit using the epic release as an extended beta and this is the real release.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is the backer mail:

Dear Backer,

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077.

Although the reasons are direct, the decision was difficult. We debated internally quite a bit as to whether we should move the game into 2021, to get as much distance from Cyberpunk as possible. We ultimately decided this would be unfair to you, the fans who have waited so long for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition to release on their platform of choice. We certainly understand why others have made the decision to delay their games in light of the Cyberpunkmove, but we want you to be able to play ours as soon as possible, because we’re really proud of it.

This is a risky proposition for us. Believe it or not, a week of development time has a big effect on the quality of a release. The team has been working extremely hard, both on our latest “Arkham” Update, which just came out this week, and on the Year One Edition. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, and we believe we can do that — without crunching — even on this new timeline. Hopefully, you’ll agree that Year One Edition is the best version of Phoenix Point yet released and one of the best strategy games of the year.
We’re excited for you to play Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on December 3. If you haven’t yet, please don’t forget to wishlist us on Steam, or your platform of choice!

Best regards,

The Phoenix Point Team

It’s almost like they admit using the epic release as an extended beta and this is the real release.
Nobody had a doubt about that.
It is only a shame they didn't fix the game as much as they could have in this one year. Hopefully they do that in next year.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nobody had a doubt about that.
It is only a shame they didn't fix the game as much as they could have in this one year. Hopefully they do that in next year.

Still don't feel done?
I have not seen the version they plan to release for Year One but I doubt it will reach the game's full potential. The had an awesome few patches during summer but something changed after that. I can only guess but I would say they maybe lost some guys because they have been releasing less content and with more bugs in last few months.

But maybe they surprise me/us with Year One release.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Any hope for this game is misguided, it is just and unfinished XCOM clone with some improvements that dont compensate for the game being unfinished, the release on steam wont change that.

the game is okay, but for it to reach its full potential somebody is going to need to do a full longwar type mod on it and also tweak the graphics and make it look a bit more post apoc and bleak IMO...

the game is okay, but for it to reach its full potential somebody is going to need to do a full longwar type mod on it and also tweak the graphics and make it look a bit more post apoc and bleak IMO...
does the engine even support mods like LW
I thought the idea was that when it got to steam it would have full MOD support like XCOM, but I could be wrong, or maybe they changed their mind. Maybe someone else knows. If its not supported, obviously it will make the idea of a Longwar type Mod a lot more unlikely.

ArchAngel

Arcane
does the engine even support mods like LW
I thought the idea was that when it got to steam it would have full MOD support like XCOM, but I could be wrong, or maybe they changed their mind. Maybe someone else knows. If its not supported, obviously it will make the idea of a Longwar type Mod a lot more unlikely.
LongWar1 was made for Xcom1 that had no mod support.
PP is made on unity that is fairly friendly for modding (as Pathfinder Kingmaker shows). From what I know there is not a big chance full modding support is coming with Year One but my info about that topic is couple of months old and nobody talked about it since.

Latelistener

Arcane
XCOM has a name and a history on PC, even if it's not X-Com anymore. This alone will make people gather and make tools for modding. We'll see how PP fares on Steam, but I have some doubts.

I feel like they lost their chance to build a community when they went to Epic instead of Early Access on Steam. Having modding tools may actually not help much at this point.

Also, I'm not sure how many people are salty about the new art style outside of Codex, but this is a real shame. Judging from the screenshots on Steam they really went all the way to make look like XCOM.

jac8awol

Arbiter
XCOM has a name and a history on PC, even if it's not X-Com anymore. This alone will make people gather and make tools for modding. We'll see how PP fares on Steam, but I have some doubts.

I feel like they lost their chance to build a community when they went to Epic instead of Early Access on Steam. Having modding tools may actually not help much at this point.

Also, I'm not sure how many people are salty about the new art style outside of Codex, but this is a real shame. Judging from the screenshots on Steam they really went all the way to make look like XCOM.

Agreed. My guess is that the vast majority of people who were interested in this, already got it on Epic, had their fun with a half-finished product, and have become bored of it by now. I don't think there's some rabid fanbase of modders that's been silently sitting in anticipation and are like "oh boy it's finally here!"

Agreed. My guess is that the vast majority of people who were interested in this, already got it on Epic, had their fun with a half-finished product, and have become bored of it by now. I don't think there's some rabid fanbase of modders that's been silently sitting in anticipation and are like "oh boy it's finally here!"

probably. it would have to be some committed fanatic, but I will say there is the base for it to be done, although I am not sure if it might not be easier to just start with the XCOM base and go from there if one were really into doing that-- but the shooting mechanics and perhaps monster mutation system are different enough to justify doing so...maybe. It would still need to be somebody with professional level skills, and fanatical level of devotion I think.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How you use your Action Points and Will Points in Phoenix Point is vital to the success of your mission. Here's an overview of how the system works in the game.

xmd1997

Educated
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2020/11/12/what-is-year-one-edition-polaris-update-info

WHAT IS YEAR ONE EDITION - POLARIS UPDATE INFO
Whether you own Phoenix Point already, or are purchasing Year One Edition for your first playthrough, you’ll have access to our upcoming, free content update: POLARIS. Polaris gives players, among other things, a brand new, tutorial prologue that introduces new characters, cinematics, and maps while teaching core aspects of how to play Phoenix Point.

Additionally, Phoenix soldiers get a stronger identity with all-new equipment. Research these new weapons and take the fight to the enemy in different ways, including wielding a riot shield against ranged threats, bringing the pain with an Assault-class grenade launcher, or choosing quantity over punch with a smaller caliber, but more accurate, heavy cannon that shoots multiple rounds.

Cin+screenshot+from+cin2+1.jpg

Personnel+lighting+A+B.jpg

BEFORE (left) - AFTER (right) — POLARIS UPDATE

Players will also see a host of visual improvements and UI changes, from a redesigned Home Screen that allows you to stay up to date (and to access special in-game content), to a robust contextual pop-up help system integrated throughout the entire game. Polaris also brings a slew of gameplay tweaks and updates based on community feedback.

Polaris releases on December 3, 2020

Please note: Polaris also adds an updated saved game system, so be sure to complete your campaign before applying the Polaris update, or your save games will be invalidated! You can always choose not to update, but then you’ll miss out on all the new hotness!

We look forward to hearing your feedback when Year One Edition and the Polaris update release on December 3rd!

Last edited by a moderator:

xmd1997

Educated
BTW ArchAngel Are you part of the games community council? You seem like you know a bit about what the devs have planned for the game.

sser

Arcane
Developer

How you use your Action Points and Will Points in Phoenix Point is vital to the success of your mission. Here's an overview of how the system works in the game.

This looks like it'll strike an excellence balance between the genre's old and new AP systems. Bit o' patience and dislike for additional gaming platforms has finally paid off.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This looks like it'll strike an excellence balance between the genre's old and new AP systems. Bit o' patience and dislike for additional gaming platforms has finally paid off.
These systems were in the game from release.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom