Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Dark Heart of Uukrul released on GOG

Farewell into the night

Man, I've heard about this game and was interested to try it, but I forgot about it, lol. Maybe now is the right time.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
BTW if anyone is wondering, the game comes with the manual despite it not being listed as a "goodie". It's inside the instalation folder.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
beautiful game

rather unique, esoteric even (it sold what, <10 thousand units altogether? despite being a brilliant dungeon crawler) - what a chap would expect a niche site like the 'dex would like & promote

full disclosure: i played this and was too dumb to finish it (possibly too intoxicated i suppose): it's the exact opposite from a "casual" game as it demands proper dedication and focus - and that my friends, is a beautiful thing - we need more of that

i remember the sweet coziness of finding a sanctuary, and when you consider the ending... i get melancholic (but to be fair, i do that often so don't mind me)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember it as an absolute gem. I could only play it at a friend's back in the day, but I remember our arguments about which was better, this or PoR.

I will certainly be playing it soon.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good game. I was a big fan of Ultima IV and Ultima V, but didn't enjoy Ultima VI when it came out. If I had known about Dark Heart of Uukrul and the Magic Candle in 1989 and 1990, they would have been my jam and I would have sunk so many hours into them. It's a shame I didn't play them until so much later.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Accidentally discovered that they just released this when I wanted to check if GOG had Dark Earth available but accidentally typed "dark hea" instead and saw this pop up.

The bad news: no, GOG doesn't have Dark Earth for sale. But at least they're now selling this classic, which might actually be much better than what I originally came for!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Thanks Infini - such top drawer memories with this game.

Has anyone heard of the talk going around that GOG is actually in deep shit, financially speaking ?
Hmmm? I've bought a lot of games; how can they be in financial difficulty?

Dark Earth?
5785-dark-earth-windows-front-cover.jpg
wolverine in his gypsy / king of Pop years.

Bara

Arcane
I love how one of the responses for the priest character creations question

The temple of your god is under attack in it's defense you shall surly die do you:
  1. Save your hide but face eternal damnation
  2. Defend the temple but meet an early death
  3. Flip a coin to decide
  4. BECOME AGNOSTIC

Butter

Arcane
Patron
GOG living up to its name for once. Now let's see if they'll release The Magic Candle.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Has anyone heard of the talk going around that GOG is actually in deep shit, financially speaking ?

Dark Earth?
This game and Time Machine, Wheel of Time,
So much old games talking but nobody talked about problems with getting back all these Cryo games. Still nothing even though they were taken by someone more alive in the industry.
Guess that's they come from 3D era which makes them harder to run than by slapping DOSbox and calling it a day...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Last time I heard about it, GOG was barely making any profits and that was pre-COVID.
Why would internationally forced home-quarantines lessen digital sales of games?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Last time I heard about it, GOG was barely making any profits and that was pre-COVID.

The pandemic represented a boost in revenue for virtually all online businesses. GOG probably benefited from it, if anything

Draxylon

Savant
I still own the original PC package with the manuals and 3.5'' disks. All my respects to Kill0byt3; I understand his effort and love for this game.
I will buy it in GOG. To me, one of the best CRPGs ever, which must be in the hall of fame of the codex. Yes, it doesn't have sound, it doesn't have the best graphics, it doesn't have the "complexity" of others from the same time but... what a wonderful gameplay! It absorbs you somewhat in a very clever, very... different way that others. It's a kind of a different gem, like a simplified Pool of Radience but with very special details. I love, for example, the approach of the cleric who can pray the gods and they could reply with a very "striking" response.

If you didn't play this game yet, give it an opportunity and set aside prejudices about graphics and the bells and whistles... just keep playing and the game will reward you. Obviusly, if you are a :obviously:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is an unexpected blast from the past. And my shekels are even going to the original creators?
I shall venture forth to the good old games immediately. And I shall also pester those of my friends,
that call themselves oldschool grognards. I'm kidding. I have no friends.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Old games don't get modded by enthusiasts? Sound mod for those who really really want sound (or play appleII... it has sound... sort of).

eXalted

Arcane
This thread so optimistic, it warms my heart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom