Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any game that single handedly managed to revive your weakened interest in gaming?

tritosine2k

Erudite
120133735_173276971007285_3967978178556773376_n.jpg

Last edited:

some funny shit

Scholar
Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles for Steel Panthers World at War.
Difficult scenarios made by legendary "Wild Bill" Wilder (R.I.P :salute:) made me really grumpy and butthurt.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Souls. Doom maybe but there's a lot there that rubs me the wrong way. Dark Souls felt like something straight out of the 90s for me.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, all the Dark Souls are a good bet for drawing you in although I'd bet you'd probably have played them by now. For a more recent game that captured my attention and absorbed me for a good number of hours, Hades by Supergiant. It's a roguelite with persistent unlockables and fantastic combat. Really addictive and it grabbed me so I was thinking about it when I wasn't playing it, which is something I don't find with many offerings these days.

Cazzeris

Wake me up when they invent a videogame that un-ages you back into a child but does not make you relive all those horrible childhood memories

Machocruz

Arcane
Mostly Independent kept me through the decline. Terraria, Dwarf Fortress, and Cataclysm in particular. Did enjoy the hell out Dying Light, Saints Row 2, New Vegas, and Demons Souls though.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think everyone would agree Disco Elysium kind of revived the state of CRPG games. C&C, turn based combat, lots of dialog, RNG, plenty of miscellaneous items, etc. First game I've purchased at or above 65% of full price in years. Other than that, not too much.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Battle Brothers right from the alpha -- it's the reason I immediately reached out to them to work on the game.

Left 4 Dead for co-op shooters, like BB, I was immediately sold from the little 1-level demo they released. The Red Orchestra series might also have been a bit of a revelation for me as I missed a chunk of the huge-multiplayer Tribes games and didn't really care for BF1942; but RO hit that sweet spot of arcadey+realism+teamwork. I just really enjoyed that series. My interest waned with the second Vietnam game, but it helped introduce me to that side of the FPS genre (Natural Selection 2 perhaps being my favorite if only it would run better).

Civ IV revitalized my interest in the civ series so strongly I gulped down CivCol, Civ5 and Civ6 without even needing to unlock my jaw.

All that said, I know the feeling. Since BB, I've not really had any sort of gaming spark for probably 3-4+ years now.

krilcebre

Learned
Spellforce 3 and expansions (RPG and RTS mix with awesome story and fabulous voice acting). I'd look into some AA games, as AAA tend to be shitty these days.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After the rather shit early Xbox 360 era with Oblivion and whatnot I was pretty borderline on playing any more "AAA" games, and started watching a lot more movies. New Vegas, Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolution brought me back in and gave me "AAA" stuff to enjoy again, whether it was as good as the classics or not.

I get burned out on games a lot and tend to take long breaks though. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Witcher 3 brought me back from the last one I think, and some indie "incline" RPGs. Then I spent most of my time replaying old shit because that's just how I roll I guess.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Unironically ELEX!
incline.png

I had lost interest in 1st/3rd person exploration games, since nowadays they often follow the formula of "collect all the hidden things" + "press a button to highlight the things to collect" while you sniff all the corners of an open but linear non-reactive world. Feels like a vaccum cleaner simulator. Even The Witcher 3, arguably the best of that trend, felt like that despite its better writing.

ELEX brought back the pleasure of exploration for me. The wonder of discovery and the excitement of danger. Despite the jank, it felt... alive.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nothing really. Not felt like gaming anymore. Last game I played was Pathfinder. It's good, but it's not good enough for the OP's subject. Last real game I played was New Vegas or DA:O. Been all downhill after those games. Wrath of the Righteous does look interesting, though. Might be the one.

I used to play quite a bit of games in my childhood days like Exile/old avernum, Dark Sun, various platformers and street fighter etc.

But somewhere around college I lost the charm of playing games.

Then came Etrian Odyssey III (emulated) and man I was blown. Full party creation pure combatfaggotry. Just the thing required to come out of a slump.

Ash

Arcane
Never stopped loving and playing games. The types of games I play has narrowed, but that's more because many types of games I enjoy simply aren't made anymore, or exist in watered down form. As much decline as there has been from the industry, there's always classic replays, classics you missed back in the day, mods, and indies.

I stopped paying attention around 2003, as I saw everything turn to shit. Barely played in my 20s, which was a good decision regardless. What got me into it again was picking up a dirt cheap PSP with around 30 games a couple of years ago and playing racing games like Split Second and Test Drive Unlimited after work. Something clicked in my brain after that and here I am.

Lautreamont

Augur
Dark Souls.

Seconded. Dark Souls revitalized my waning interest in modern gaming and got me addicted to an entire genre. Not only five Soulsborne games and Sekiro, but Nioh and other clones of variable quality (Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, Ashen, Code Vein, Mortal Shell). I've even played all the 2D Souls-likes just to scratch the itch.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I should try the clones one of this days. Dark Souls seems to be the Doom of our days, and there's a few Doom clones i shunned back in the day for not bieng on par with the top shooters which turned out to be rather fun when i finally tried then.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never lost interest in games or had it weakened, but in the last few years i got increasingly disinterested in big budget "AAA" industry. However Prey, Dishonored 2/2.5 and Deus Ex: MD showed me that they can still make good games (gameplay-wise at least). Prey grew to be my favorite immersive sim and i've played the demo alone for hours trying to find all possible options and paths in it.

But for me the best games lately are from small and mid sized developers (at most ~50 people - this is a mostly arbitrary limit but i've noticed that most developers whose games i like tend to be less than that in size), like ELEX and GreedFall (and other games from Spiders) on the "high end" and Ion Fury, Hedon, etc on the "lower end" and games i'm waiting for are mainly games like Monomyth and HROT. And Legendary Journeys was the last demo from Steam i downloaded that found interesting (which i just noticed has an itch.io page).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers right from the alpha -- it's the reason I immediately reached out to them to work on the game.

Left 4 Dead for co-op shooters, like BB, I was immediately sold from the little 1-level demo they released. The Red Orchestra series might also have been a bit of a revelation for me as I missed a chunk of the huge-multiplayer Tribes games and didn't really care for BF1942; but RO hit that sweet spot of arcadey+realism+teamwork. I just really enjoyed that series. My interest waned with the second Vietnam game, but it helped introduce me to that side of the FPS genre (Natural Selection 2 perhaps being my favorite if only it would run better).

Civ IV revitalized my interest in the civ series so strongly I gulped down CivCol, Civ5 and Civ6 without even needing to unlock my jaw.

All that said, I know the feeling. Since BB, I've not really had any sort of gaming spark for probably 3-4+ years now.

Have you tried Hell Let Loose? It's in that same spot as RO I think.

Black Angel

Arcane
Fortunately I have the luxury of never having my interest in gaming weakened whatsoever, all thanks to discovering the Codex right in time before I starts throwing money on trash.

But I can't deny the voices of the scrubs and the casuls did disheartened me quite a bit, they're loud enough to sway even some of the most hardened devs out there.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
HoMM 2 or 3, Thief 2, nuHitman, Ab Urbe Condita for Alexander Total War.

Thanks for the inadvertent heads up for the Alexander mod. I used to love EB back in the day for RTW and MTW2. The Total Wars since have always been too tedious with pointless gimmicks and being hard to mod for, the AI was never able to be improved much.

On topic, I've ebbed and flowed with my interest in the 2000's after Uni graduation and family life, but to take the most recent example, I played the Nehrim mod for Oblivion to autistic completion despite all the crashes. It's the only RPG since F: NV that I made time for to play from start to finish without taking breaks of something else or losing interest. 100+ hours in this day and age for me on one game is a miracle. Now I'm ready to do it all again! I'll probably take a break from a first person RPG though(Enderal will be next), but another thing? Definitely have the interest back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom