Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://playghostbusters.com

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ghostbusters-the-video-game-remastered/home

I logged into my Epic Games account to see what free game they're offering this week. I saw that Ghostbusters The Video Game Remastered was for sale. I watched the video, and it did not in any way resemble the only Ghostbuster video game I've ever played. A little Googling and Wikipediaing told me that I remember 1984's Ghostbusters for the Commodore 64. This remaster is an update to 2009's Ghostbusters, which was released on several platforms.

How many of you have played a Ghostbusters video game before? Which game do you think of when you think of a Ghostbusters video game?

Last edited by a moderator:

index.php

Arcane
The 2009 Ghostbusters game is great. The gameplay is kinda popamole but it's pretty much Ghostbusters 3 and I love it. All the original cast returned to reprise their roles.

BTW, someone also just released a fan-made remaster of the 1984 game:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4703/

oscTI1f.png

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The XBox 360 era one is surprisingly good. Quality writing and decent gameplay that only got hair-pullingly frustrating occasionally.
There was a Genesis side-scroller that was ok? I don't remember much about it except I beat it and it had hilarious engrish.
Ghostbusters 2 had a PC game that was faithful if not enjoyable, you'd harvest slime, test music on it, capture ghosts for money, had to walk the Statue of Liberty around the city. It was buggy as hell and would crash constantly.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There was also a game based on The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, a top-down arcade shooter thingie.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This video seems to show that the "remaster" is just a resolution upgrade for consoles basically, so I have no idea WTF Epic are selling. Seems like my old Steam version is the same fucking thing?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Played the game a few months ago for the first time. It the epitome of mediocre, borderline boring, the only worthwhile thing in it is the banter of the original cast.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got this as a freebie on Epic, you might want to consider holding onto your money for now. Honestly, I ran into so much shit with this game within the first 90 or so minutes, it is utterly BAFFLING to me. There's a level of gross incompetence on display here that I wouldn't expect from anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes in front of a computer. Yup, it's one of those "remasters"...

Off the top of my head:

- Graphics look like blurred shit. It looks even worse on my computer than in the comparison video above. I don't know what exactly is going on there, my guess is that if I switch the resolution to 1920x1080, the game somehow fails to inform my display to switch to 1920x1080, so instead it plays at 1920x1080 downscaled to 1366x768. It looks blurry and pixelly and just plain awful in ways I haven't seen from any other game I own.

- I had my first crash to desktop within some 10-15 minutes of play time...

- Controls like ass - sprinting in particular is horrible

- For some reason the game doesn't save a config file on my computer - you need to change all the settings every time you restart the game

- Went to PCGamingWiki to see if I can find something to beef up the horrible graphics. Found this instead:
cutscenes.jpg

But wait, it gets better: The cutscene folder features each and every video TWICE. It gets even betterer: One of these two formats features the original 720p (I presume) videos uprezzed to 1920x1080 HD (with no gains to the visual fidelity, since the original assets are long lost and they simply upscaled those videos) and the other format being in - I kid you not! - 3840x2160 (!) resolution, again with zero discernible gains in visual fidelity. Around 60% of the disk space this thing eats up is WASTED on literal rubbish files.

- The only thing the Epic version has going for it is that it's DRM-free. This will probably be void in the Steam version anyway, and considering the technical proficiency on display in this "remaster", the lack of DRM in the Epic version can safely be chalked up to the dev team being too fucking dumb to get Denuvo running properly.

Unless this gets upvoted by fanboys on Steam, I foresee a "Mixed" or "Mostly positive" reception on Steam at best.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just checked with the original release (which played perfectly fine and is not sold anymore of course...), the whole game only takes 10.83GB :M
And now the punchline: I decided to delete all the largeass 3840x2160 duplicate videos for shits and giggles (which freed up a staggering 12GB on my drive). And whaddya know: The game still played with the cutscene videos intact.

The total size was 10.5GB afterwards...+M

I also figured out why the game looked so unbelievably blurry and shitty on my sytem. You see, I'm an old man and I like my destop resolution to be a bit on the lower side so I can read things better, so it's set to 1366x768. Now, every other game that has not been cobbled together by total half-wits disregards the desktop resolution and automatically switches to 1920x1080, or whatever resolution you've chosen.

Not so with Ghostbusters!

If I choose 1920x1080, instead of sending a signal to the display to change the resolution to 1920x1080, it instead takes the 1920x1080 picture and scales it down to 1366x768!
:rage:
tenor.gif

:nocountryforshitposters:

After switching my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 before playing I got a not-altogether-terrible looking game that's not too straining on the eyes after all... It's an easy fix, but I'm still at a loss for words how something like that makes it into a supposed "remaster".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think this game is cursed or something.

Some (or all) printings of the DVD-retail version of the game for Windows had an interesting bug: The game files will be installed in \Program Files\Atari\Ghostbusters, regardless of what folder is selected. Then the data files will be installed in whatever folder is selected or the default one, which is \Program Files\Ghostbusters.

After installation the data files must be copied into the same folder as the game files, and shortcuts must be created manually.

I sure hope they fixed that in the Remastered version... ;)

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Could anyone here who has played the game confirm it's okay for *watching* for a kid who has seen things like Nightmare before Christmas ?

Yeah it's the kind of question I ask myself these days.

The Decline

Arcane
Could anyone here who has played the game confirm it's okay for *watching* for a kid who has seen things like Nightmare before Christmas ?

Would the child in question be okay with the original Ghostbuster movies? If so then the game is fine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you guys don't care about shit low-res cutscenes with macroblocking everywhere then I'm happy for you, but speaking as someone with a monitor larger than a postage stamp I can tell you that shit was a MAJOR pet peeve in the Xbox 360 era.

Dexter

Arcane
Less compressed cutscenes are a good thing. Quit being a cheapass and get a larger SSD.
If you guys don't care about shit low-res cutscenes with macroblocking everywhere then I'm happy for you, but speaking as someone with a monitor larger than a postage stamp I can tell you that shit was a MAJOR pet peeve in the Xbox 360 era.
Can you read?
But wait, it gets better: The cutscene folder features each and every video TWICE. It gets even betterer: One of these two formats features the original 720p (I presume) videos uprezzed to 1920x1080 HD (with no gains to the visual fidelity, since the original assets are long lost and they simply upscaled those videos) and the other format being in - I kid you not! - 3840x2160 (!) resolution, again with zero discernible gains in visual fidelity.

You see, I'm an old man and I like my destop resolution to be a bit on the lower side so I can read things better, so it's set to 1366x768.
This is very stupid, your monitor should always be set at its Native resolution, especially if it's an LCD or you'll always have issues. You can use Scaling from your Display Settings to display things like Text or icons at a larger size. At 4K I have it at 150%.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can you read?

I guess not. In fairness I am traumatized from when Star Wars Force Unleashed made actual higher quality cutscenes for PC and everyone bitched about file size, so for the sequel we got the same compressed to shit Xbox ones. I was triggered.

A horse of course

Fronzel Neekburm I played the Epic Gnomes Store version a few months ago and it had the exact same issues. They obviously haven't fixed a thing.

Yes, it's extremely tame. Probably less frightening than the original movies. There's some innuendo and slightly salty language that a kid wouldn't even pick up on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom