Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Before you sign on with one of the companies in Core City.

Why before? Do they go away otherwise?
By the time you meet an oligarch and are dispatched to the research facility, Six will have left Oculus. You can only meet him pre-institute if you make it to Oculus before then.

But that's completely different from having to do Jack and Abram's quests before signing up to an oligarch.
Do you mean holding back from doing Jack's and Abram's quests until you've done the research facility would make Six stay as you start rolling through their questline at that point in time?

No, but his first post implied you could lose out on more as soon as you started working for the oligarch, that's why I asked.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Before you sign on with one of the companies in Core City.

Why before? Do they go away otherwise?
By the time you meet an oligarch and are dispatched to the research facility, Six will have left Oculus. You can only meet him pre-institute if you make it to Oculus before then.

But that's completely different from having to do Jack and Abram's quests before signing up to an oligarch.
Do you mean holding back from doing Jack's and Abram's quests until you've done the research facility would make Six stay as you start rolling through their questline at that point in time?
No, I just mean it's very possible to bruteforce the Core City faction quests and requirements very early if you head there first. Something I did on my first playthrough because I wanted access to their merchant. Completely unaware of what I was missing in Oculus.

Yaz

Learned
Is there even any point in playing dominating difficulty? From my understanding lots of things become useless, like being a tank or having any evasive or dodge skills. Only real way to win is to not be hit in the first place by focusing on a build that can get the highest possible AP with the highest posslby critical chance. I guess hard is more fun because it allows for more builds that are viable and doesn't require metagaming everything. This is the first game in a long time that I've played where the hardest difficulty is actually really hard. I'm realizing my ideas of running a dodge/evasion or tanks don't really hold up. I'll try again after I've beaten the game on several hard runs.

Strange. I've started the game with at least 10 different characters and I always found 2 (iirc, maybe 1) repair kits in my room.

Dominating is for those nerds like me for whom playing less than that ain't fun. That's not bragging or anything, it's just how things are, ect.

On point - you can be incredibly tanky in Underrail. Take any damage type except Energy; you can become immune to it. You can have 1k hp with 95% Physical Resistance on Dominating. Not gonna die easy even if you're trying. It's all about experimenting and learning. Energy shields alone can soak so much.

madhouse

Is there even any point in playing dominating difficulty? From my understanding lots of things become useless, like being a tank or having any evasive or dodge skills. Only real way to win is to not be hit in the first place by focusing on a build that can get the highest possible AP with the highest posslby critical chance. I guess hard is more fun because it allows for more builds that are viable and doesn't require metagaming everything. This is the first game in a long time that I've played where the hardest difficulty is actually really hard. I'm realizing my ideas of running a dodge/evasion or tanks don't really hold up. I'll try again after I've beaten the game on several hard runs.

Strange. I've started the game with at least 10 different characters and I always found 2 (iirc, maybe 1) repair kits in my room.

Dominating is for those nerds like me for whom playing less than that ain't fun. That's not bragging or anything, it's just how things are, ect.

On point - you can be incredibly tanky in Underrail. Take any damage type except Energy; you can become immune to it. You can have 1k hp with 95% Physical Resistance on Dominating. Not gonna die easy even if you're trying. It's all about experimenting and learning. Energy shields alone can soak so much.
Do I have the right idea?
https://underrail.info/build/?GRAEAwoDAwcAMgDChwAAAAAAAADCh8KHwodVwocAAADChwDChwhiMSZVAwBGYEJUSykf
Forgoing AGI even though sprint would be a godsend. Basically a crafting build with grenades for AOE and everything else crafted, like shields and best armor.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Is there even any point in playing dominating difficulty?
Satisfaction? Combat is retardedly trivial in this game even on dominating. Everything dies easily and the AI is basic, I can't imagine how tedious it would be to make things even easier to kill.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Satisfaction? Combat is retardedly trivial in this game even on dominating.
Not for the mentally retarded, i.e. me.
Now that you've gotten past Depot A, you'll see how quickly combat becomes meaningless. Your character quickly jumps to level 14 and by then you are a god toying with ants.

And honestly Depot A is not a real challenge either.

Last edited:

Yaz

Learned
https://underrail.info/build/?GRAEAwoDAwcAMgDChwAAAAAAAADCh8KHwodVwocAAADChwDChwhiMSZVAwBGYEJUSykf
Forgoing AGI even though sprint would be a godsend. Basically a crafting build with grenades for AOE and everything else crafted, like shields and best armor.

For a character that focuses on heavy armour - in short, yes. I'd reorganize the perks and optimize the points a bit little bit, but other than that - go for it, see what the game has to offer.

madhouse

For a character that focuses on heavy armour - in short, yes. I'd reorganize the perks and optimize the points a bit little bit, but other than that - go for it, see what the game has to offer.
Do you know if the serrated blades on armour do damage in melee, or specifically only in unarmed? Boots unfortunately only do extra damage in unarmed combat. It makes sense obviously as I'd be using feet only in unarmed. However I'm hoping I can get bleeding effects on my enemies to stack up damage %.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaz

Learned
Do you know if the serrated blades on armour do damage in melee, or specifically only in unarmed? Boots unfortunately only do extra damage in unarmed combat. It makes sense obviously as I'd be using feet only in unarmed. However I'm hoping I can get bleeding effects on my enemies to stack up damage %.

Serrated Blades on armour will add a bleed proc to melee attacks, yes. However, seeing as you've chosen sledges you might find it a bit underwhelming as the Serrated Blades would generally work better with lower AP cost melee weapons.

What you could do instead, should you choose to play with Serrated Blades on your armour, is make use of the Versatility and Taste for Blood perks and make yourself some form of a rapid firing, muzzled AR or SMG that uses Micro-Shrapnel bullets(bleed chance per shot.) You can burst and then swing for increased melee damage with the sledge.

madhouse

Thanks man.
I brought the expansion for more versatile builds and content. Love this game.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Loving this shit out of this so far, been playing all day.

Currently using Guns, Dodge, Evasion, Mechanics, Electronics, Lockpicking, Hacking, Persuasion. I will probably regret some of these.

Built myself a sniper rifle, just ruining those fucking beetles before they know what hit 'em.

Calcium

Educated
No, the devs are focusing on another project called Infusion I think which takes place in the same universe as Underrail but with better graphics. There aren't any more plans for Underrail as far as I'm aware.

Parabalus

Arcane
You might regret persuasion.

Why? It's one of the few RP opportunities.

Satisfaction? Combat is retardedly trivial in this game even on dominating. Everything dies easily and the AI is basic, I can't imagine how tedious it would be to make things even easier to kill.

What (recent) RPGs are much harder?

To high damage combat does go both ways though, you easily get oneshot as well.

Sheepherder

Augur
Decado
dont pump everything all the way. Hacking is 135 max, so is electronics. Lockpickiing 120, Mechanics like 110.
Also if you get 80 effective throwing, your grenades will always land where you want them to.

You might regret persuasion. If you are into dodge&evasion, you will probably want to look into tailoring
Throwing is actually 125 to throw at 90% accuracy at max distance without moving. It'll show less then 90% if you need to throw something out of grenade range, but since it'll move the character and then throw,i think it'll still be 90%.
Electronics is 171 effective with a double emitter shield at 164q components. So a bit less in practice.
Mechanics is 131 for 0.8 guns at 164q components (pistols, smg, etc.), and 157 for 0.96 guns (like ARs), more for metal armor (~170?).
I get tailoring to 140-150 effective for endgame leather armors. Tac vests may need more, not sure.
Chem and bio depends on what drugs he'll be using. For guns, 20 chem for W2C ammo.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's the guy's first run, no need for such meta minmaxing. Just enjoy the game.

Especially with Expedition, there's a lot more skill points to go around so no need really.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Finally finished my full-wizard run on Dom. Solid stuff, nearing endspiel build starts to really wreck stuff; this time, Tchort was dispatched with just two Neural Overloads in one turn, followed by dispatching of Faceless Commander and his group. Early game is tedious, but not hard; middle-game damage starts to really lack but the sheer number of options in combat keeps the level; raw damage catches up closer the the end. With Advanced PE and Hodduform my char had max of 125 HP, but that's more than enough with careful play. Overall, DC went quite smoothly - labyrinth was an absolute cakewalk with Spatial Projection, Forest was fine even without Biosuit due to solid base damage of abilities, Arke wasn't a total pain - late build ceases to be lame against robots. This is my first low-PER build, but it was exactly during this run that I killed Black Crawler for the first time. As it goes, I didn't use any weapons and used very few grenades, without investing in throwing at all; crit-chance was 29% at rest at the level 30, it's not a high-crit build. Hodduform passive "poison through Overload" ability starts to get really useful. Resolve gets so high that flashbangs and breakdowns are resisted most of the time. Don't know what people were raging about, full PSI plays smoothly as shit through a goose.

Parabalus

Arcane
Finally finished my full-wizard run on Dom. Solid stuff, nearing endspiel build starts to really wreck stuff; this time, Tchort was dispatched with just two Neural Overloads in one turn, followed by dispatching of Faceless Commander and his group. Early game is tedious, but not hard; middle-game damage starts to really lack but the sheer number of options in combat keeps the level; raw damage catches up closer the the end. With Advanced PE and Hodduform my char had max of 125 HP, but that's more than enough with careful play. Overall, DC went quite smoothly - labyrinth was an absolute cakewalk with Spatial Projection, Forest was fine even without Biosuit due to solid base damage of abilities, Arke wasn't a total pain - late build ceases to be lame against robots. This is my first low-PER build, but it was exactly during this run that I killed Black Crawler for the first time. As it goes, I didn't use any weapons and used very few grenades, without investing in throwing at all; crit-chance was 29% at rest at the level 30, it's not a high-crit build. Hodduform passive "poison through Overload" ability starts to get really useful. Resolve gets so high that flashbangs and breakdowns are resisted most of the time. Don't know what people were raging about, full PSI plays smoothly as shit through a goose.

This is the new PSI? Tranq or Psychosis?

Parabalus

Arcane
This is the new PSI? Tranq or Psychosis?
Psychosis, but I didn't spec crit chance hard. No SI, no Infused Rathound, started to use hedband without crit-chance enhancer and it was actually better.

Never even thought about using Infused Leather on Psychosis, psi beetle is too good.

What did you have invoked mostly? Did you sacrifice 18 WILL for 8 slots?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom