Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You're all autists

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
From the reviews I found it was one of the first game with radiant quest system, which means tons of boring, repetitive fetch or kill quests.
AFAIK, they are completely optional and there's no need to take them unless you need xp or cash. Think of them as of random encounters in Fallout 2.

I'll write down my impressions when I finally try it.

Metalheart replicants tried to be an F2 clone, but they are in a space prison and not Earth's retrofuturism. Thus lot of people just lose interest to even try it. Who is interested in a space prison game?

Are you seriously implying that the most important reason people want to play Fallout is retrofuturism?
The joke is on you because retrofuturism wasn't that much discussed until Bethesda started making a big deal out of it. It was a distraction so the discourse won't go into any aspect Bethesda has failed in making a proper sequel. Bethesda was like "Uhh, uh look there is a retrofuturism in our game so obviously it is a proper Fallout game you dumbfuck, heheheh "

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The joke is on you because retrofuturism wasn't that much discussed until Bethesda started making a big deal out of it. It was a distraction so the discourse won't go into any aspect Bethesda has failed in making a proper sequel. Bethesda was like "Uhh, uh look there is a retrofuturism in our game so obviously it is a proper Fallout game you dumbfuck, heheheh "
Ironically, Fallouts were never about retrofuturism itself. It was an interesting foundation for the setting, but not the main focus; moreover, the final setting was the post-apo version of this imagined future and how people build new civilization on the ruins of Old World.

While in Shittesda interpretation it's just the generic post-apo but everyone has a hard-on for the fifties American stuff. "Look! I kill raiders and collect baseball cards! And my bro is a big fan of Lou Armstrong, when he's not busy worshiping that atom bomb!"

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ironically, Fallouts were never about retrofuturism itself. It was an interesting foundation for the setting, but not the main focus

I think it was actually so far from the main focus that it was chosen according to someone just randomly throwing it out in a conversation relatievely late and people thought "Hey that could be fun". Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

Curratum

I wonder if the "Fallout 2 is the best game in the world" retards actually ever played Fallout 4. There are a ton of side quests with multiple, interesting outcomes and NPCs and ways to resolve those quests and interactions and paths within them, but I guess if you're too busy playing Fallout 2 on your ZX Spectrum while tripping over yourself, telling people how bad new Fallouts are, you can't find any of those interesting quests, can you now?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder if the "Fallout 2 is the best game in the world" retards actually ever played Fallout 4. There are a ton of side quests with multiple, interesting outcomes and NPCs and ways to resolve those quests and interactions and paths within them, but I guess if you're too busy playing Fallout 2 on your ZX Spectrum while tripping over yourself, telling people how bad new Fallouts are, you can't find any of those interesting quests, can you now?
No no, I have actually played the new Fallouts and can attest that they are, in fact, terrible. I think it's in everyone's interest to just believe me and move on.

Now that this case is closed, we can go back to the important questions: is JA2 an RPG?

Curratum

No no, I have actually played the new Fallouts and can attest that they are, in fact, terrible. I think it's in everyone's interest to just believe me and move on.

Now that this case is closed, we can go back to the important questions: is JA2 an RPG?

That's exactly what the core of Fallautism is.

You don't enjoy the old games because of their writing, encounters, dialogue or unexpected and fresh outcomes of quests, because that's also found in very good quality in significant portions of NV and FO4.

No, you enjoy the old games because you like being fucked up the ass by RNG and feel "hardcore" and "got gud" when you manage to crawl from the low level slime and ascend into a form where you can counterbalance the hideous RNG with gear and skills so the game starts becoming playable. And because you generally have massive, unhealthy nostalgia glasses on, of course.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if the "Fallout 2 is the best game in the world" retards actually ever played Fallout 4. There are a ton of side quests with multiple, interesting outcomes and NPCs and ways to resolve those quests and interactions and paths within them...

It's not and has never been all about quests and NPC's. There are a ton of games that have that, but there are none - aside from the first Fallout game - that get the whole package right, that get what being an RPG is all about. And that is not said with the set of mind that they are perfect games. They are both very flawed if you look at any aspect in isolation.

And the ideas of recreating the flavor by other games have sorely missed the point by simply focusing mostly on improving the combat while leaving the other aspects intact.

Fallout and Fallout 2 were exemplary cases of games that are "sum of their parts".

Curratum

I wonder if the "Fallout 2 is the best game in the world" retards actually ever played Fallout 4. There are a ton of side quests with multiple, interesting outcomes and NPCs and ways to resolve those quests and interactions and paths within them...

It's not and has never been all about quests and NPC's. There are a ton of games that have that, but there are none - aside from the first Fallout game - that get the whole package right, that get what being an RPG is all about. And that is not said with the set of mind that they are perfect games. They are both very flawed if you look at any aspect in isolation.

And the ideas of recreating the flavor by other games have sorely missed the point by simply focusing mostly on improving the combat while leaving the other aspects intact.

Fallout and Fallout 2 were exemplary cases of games that are "sum of their parts".

I find your sanity refreshing. I have just grown out of the habit of games being so unforgiving and requiring such razor-sharp precision, attention to specific builds etc for you to do ok.

And for me, a good, detailed first-person world is probably as immersive and awesome as the "whole package" of Fallout 1 is to you.

I remember that when I played Fallout 2 back then, my only playthrough, I think, I had an amazing time with it. 20 years later, my memories are all very hazy but it's a blur of good emotions. I just can't get back to the old pacing, interface and low-level shenanigans after playing modern games for so long, I think.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I remember that when I played Fallout 2 back then, my only playthrough, I think, I had an amazing time with it. 20 years later, my memories are all very hazy but it's a blur of good emotions. I just can't get back to the old pacing, interface and low-level shenanigans after playing modern games for so long, I think.

I played Fallout 2 the first time back in '98 and have played it somewhat regularly ever since. Not because I'd find the story or quests themselves particularly captivating, I remember most of the dialog lines and the ways of doing the quests (although the game has been designed ingeniously so, that I still occasionally find things I haven't before), but because playing that game gives me a feeling of playing an actual PnP game. The RNG keeps things interesting, because even due to the lack of live GM I can not rely on tried and through tactics and paystyles - and because I do NOT savescum, I take the results as they come and adjust my playstyle accordingly; though of course death is a different situation. That's the fun in it, the unreliability of the outcome(s) - and I think that is the specific point of RNG in the first place.

IF someone actually wanted to improve the foundation, they'd focus on the systems and general interactivity instead of the fluidity and complexity of combat.

You could do a 1st person Fallout and have it actually good, if you made sure the systems worked correctly and according to the foundation.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think the major problem is that you need to have played Fallout 1 before Fallout 2, and at the time most people did not know about that.

Fallout leaves you at the exit of a nuclear bunker with a pistol and a clear, interesting task.

Fallout 2 throws you first in an annoying maze with scorpions and then in a tribal village where everyone speaks gibberish. To a newcomer it's not clear at all where the game is eventually going or how it would become particularly interesting.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I like RPGs, I just don't like horribly outdated, cumbersome, heavily RNG-driven bollocks.

Luckily, the entire world has moved on and autism only rarely attempts to rear its head with games like Underrail being few and far between.
ah yes, so when you say "RPG" you mean the RPG Watch kind, not the RPG Codex kind?

now you know, register over there fuckwit

laclongquan

Arcane
In contrary to what Bethesdafags been believing, vision of future according 50s people's thinkings was presented as early as 2000. AKA right after Fallout 2 been released. That's what the explaination for Fallout2's towns and factions.

Ironically, Fallouts were never about retrofuturism itself. It was an interesting foundation for the setting, but not the main focus; moreover, the final setting was the post-apo version of this imagined future and how people build new civilization on the ruins of Old World."

That was more in line of Fallout 1 than Fallout 2. In fallout 1 vaults are opening up one after another and rebuilding on top of the ruins. In Fallout 2 they are already being towns and cities (vault city and Shady Sands)

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I know this is unpopular on the Codex but I think FO2 is better than 1. Though 1 has a better villain.

Shitposter
wow way to crash my god damn tapatalk with this button fiesta holy shit
RXV1HoH.png

It's also a mp4 for some reason.
thinking.png

How can you die at the Temple? Are you retarded or something?
Poison. I often got unlucky with the radscorpions and the pity antidote wasn't enough. Monsters that cause status effects are too dangerous for a first area. I'd have used them as the enemies for Hakunin's garden instead of the maneating weed that he ignored until they were taller than adult men.

I don't know about Fallout 3, but having played Fallout New Vegas a lot and beaten the game on very hard multiple times, i say that FNV is a complete joke difficulty wise. You can just level your gun to 40 and then one shot almost everything in the game with a rifle through sneak attack plus headshot, in old Fallouts (especially Fallout 2) not leveling combat skills would screw you over sometimes, combat skills just doesn't matter in FNV. Also in FNV you can freely open your inventory in combat to consume multiple stimpaks or multiple foods, making you a regenerating immortal god, where's in Fallout 1/2 you can't freely open your inventory in combat without consequences. Not to mention the infinite ways you can cheese the AI in FNV like climbing a rock when fighting non flying/armed enemies.

You don't need to git gud at FNV, the game is a joke. Say what you want about Fallout 1/2 RNG, but at least these games will always remain challenging, Fallout 2 on normal is a lot harder than FNV on very hard.

Ddcg2nm.png

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Metalheart replicants tried to be an F2 clone, but they are in a space prison and not Earth's retrofuturism. Thus lot of people just lose interest to even try it. Who is interested in a space prison game?

Are you seriously implying that the most important reason people want to play Fallout is retrofuturism?

Dawg you dont know what you dont know.

Fallout2 gamers chose to play Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas because of retrofuturism. It's an important part define the group. Think about it: In term of tactical combat F2 cant compare to other later games. in term of FPS shootan FNV definitely lose to other games.

Bethesda chose to focus on retrofuturism because it's the ONLY aspect of Fallout2 it can ape. Turnbased tactical? Nope. Big party? Nope. but retrofuturism is right there, interesting, and more importantly have a ready audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom