Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Jinn

Arcane
The combat is much much better than the rest of the series, imo, and it's actually fun to gather items and gear now, since they can play a far more important role in combat. This is the perfect Yakuza game.

Gotta tend to agree here, after 18 hours in. This has the overall best, most rewarding, and most involved gameplay the series has to offer. It really has not only been a breath of fresh air, but also a big step in the right direction.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The combat is much much better than the rest of the series, imo, and it's actually fun to gather items and gear now, since they can play a far more important role in combat. This is the perfect Yakuza game.

Gotta tend to agree here, after 18 hours in. This has the overall best, most rewarding, and most involved gameplay the series has to offer. It really has not only been a breath of fresh air, but also a big step in the right direction.

Well, I can't say it's perfect. That's a bit OTT. I'm loving it, but there's far too much trash combat with absolutely no threat involved. Running into yet another lvl 10 group when I'm lvl 15 elicits nothing but groans and the fact that although combat can be automated, it can't be sped up doesn't help. Bizarrely, there is a slower combat option. God knows who on earth would choose that.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, I can't say it's perfect. That's a bit OTT. I'm loving it, but there's far too much trash combat with absolutely no threat involved. Running into yet another lvl 10 group when I'm lvl 15 elicits nothing but groans and the fact that although combat can be automated, it can't be sped up doesn't help. Bizarrely, there is a slower combat option. God knows who on earth would choose that.

Of course it's not perfect, but it's ultimately better on all gameplay fronts. Also, I'd recommend playing around with different jobs. The fun thing about that is that as you're building levels on new jobs, your party is weaker overall. So as you try to branch out, exploring familiar parts of the city becomes more challenging. This doesn't hit home quite as much until you hit a base party level of 18-19 or so. It's particularly interesting because the job center is in the lower threat part of town. I thought that was a clever move on their part. Beyond that, try avoiding encounters. It's fun in and of itself, and I do it on the regular. Did so in the earlier games too.

Regardless, the fact that I'm over 20 hours into the game and still considering the best way to spend my money is a revolution in Yakuza games in and of itself. Beyond that, the fact that I care about what I'm picking up in terms of equipment and weapons is so enjoyable. While the difficulty isn't entirely satisfying to me, I'm looking forward to the New Game+ Extra Hard setting that I'll play in a year or two. Part of why I'm spacing out Job levels is so that I have more to explore when I'm hitting the world again at level 45-50.

On an aside, I can't help but feel the overwhelming nod to Shenmue - the series forefather - in this installment. Yokohama is just a little north of Yokosuka (where Shenmue takes place). That harbor town feeling bleeds into everything, even in the 21st century. I'd say that Yokohama Ijincho has grown on me greatly as a Yakuza game setting. At first it felt kind of empty and foreign, but as you get to know it and navigate around it, it becomes almost as satisfying as Kamurocho and Sotenbori.

Vatnik Wumao
About kiwami 2 (still general Yakuza thread) why they added Buono Isozaki as a commentator? I mean cabaret club Is now a sport like pocket circuit with Fighter but why.... Buono? He even says "Era buono" that means "It was tasty" but It Is a cabaret race with girls and not Masterchef!

Because Buono is only standing in for the real commentator whom you meet on the final circuit.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I find the combat gameplay loop itself is incredibly rewarding, but the difficulty and placement of enemies can be improved on.

It's absolutely brilliant turn based combat though. Much much better than Persona's UI

Also, are the dungeons worth it? Kinda want some of them rare crafting materials but it's a lotta combat

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
19 hours and just discovered you need to open the doors of the taxi's to unlock them for future use. :oops: Wondered why I had so few fast travel options lol.

Also just unlocked the management side of things, this game is fantastic at drip feeding you a full range of interesting things to do.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
You are making me hype about Yakuza 7 so much. I got to save money you bastards!

Just buy it man, it's awesome. After 19 hours the intro finishes
and you discover that the real game is about rebuilding a struggling confectionary empire while accompanied by a sentient chicken. Never mind the organised crime story and the turn based combat, that's all side filler for the retail empire building.

:shredder:

Can't believe I spoilered that lol, but I've spent so much time in that part today. :incline:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though that was already known since the OST had made its way to Youtube well before release in the West, the soundtrack fucking slaps.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
ok you can make the woman an ice witch, she doesn't suck now. But no aoe is bad.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Are the female party members' faces less well made/detailed than those of the men? I noticed that with NPCs in Yakuza 0 and though detail is improved in general in this one, it still seems like there's a difference. Alert the Sarkeesian!
Manager girl especiall seems kind of... Odd. The lighting rarely does her any favors on top of that.

In general not seeing much in the way of hotties in the game. Saeko is ok I guess, but eh.
Little underwhelming for a jap game, and my office lady fetish is not being satisfied properly because every time I move close to one she turns out to be a plain jane :rage:
Totally unacceptable.

Workshop girl it is, sigh... Unless I can find a better one to throw flowers at.

On the technical side everything is ok except that the game keeps switching to mlaa everytime I boot it up. Also randomly switches geometry detail to medium for no reason. I've gotten into the habit of checking the graphics settings every boot as a result.
When you want to get to the main menu even if you're already playing, you have to sit through several splash screens including the "real yakuza use a gamepad" thing every time. Why do console games insist on doing that... Can't skip anything either.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but some of the dungeon stuff and combat are wearing on me due to the sheer repetitiveness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom