Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

The writing is a tad worse than PoE as well. I'd say it's Bioware quality atm. There's not really much to pull you in.
To expound upon this: Why do I care about this quest at all? I hear Eothas is rampaging about, OK. He may or may not be evil, who knows. No one in the world really cares too much, or acts in any panic.
My character is supposedly bound to him but I don't feel the burn yet, I haven't really grown attached to my character either. The game constantly throws, almost forces me into, conversation options where I almost offensively butt heads with the god who bound me to the task, so it can't be such an important bond.

There's the rautauauaui and the aumaua and the princeps and the vailians and... I don't really give a shit about these either? PoE1 could have me care a bit about Dyrwood I guess, but these?

Tbh I want the Vailians to just colonize everyone and drive the savages into the sea for being uppity, but this doesn't seem to be an option.

Furthermore the writing and conversation options irk me at times. It's obvious that the writer is a millennial American who is unable to see beyond the perspectives of a millennial American, and indeed unable to even conceive of a conversation option
that conveys a radically different view than hers - conversation options that are not in line with contemporary dominant morals are clichèd and obviously "mean".
Having just googled it, it surprised me absolutely nothing that lead writer was a f*moid. Another casualty: So many of the admirals and military commanders and captains etc are women. Completely ruins immersion.

Suicidal

Arcane
UbRXifY.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, Barbarians are a bit late bloomers here - as opposed to PoE1. Carnage has been nerfed nearly to the ground (although it still kinda works with Lord Darryns Voulge, which is quite a cool weapon for a Berserker). Also they are damn squishy, at least without heavy support / before Savage Defiance. Brute would kinda fix that - forfeiting the important high level abilities while still being rather unspectacular damage-wise.

Their best abilities come late (and are mostly limited to Single Class characters). Eventually some of the best abilities are Retaliation strikes or ranged/aoe combat via line dazing shouts or instrument of boundless rage.
Heart of Fury is also good, but a bit expensive.

They also work well as caster multiclasses (with wizards, ciphers and others) - they offer significant speed boosts (particularly with Blood Thirst, which is also triggered on spell kills) - and the special rage effects can also be spread by spell aoes. Berserkers also offer Penetration and crit conversions; Furyshapers offer other bonuses. Lions charge can be used for a significant accuracy boost before casting a spell.

Best subclasses tend to be Berserker (crit conversion + Penetration + AR) and Furyshaper (the scary ward is real good, late game if SC the whole party can become very resilient with Blood Ward - which leeches life even on aoe/ranged/DOT attacks).
Berserkers probably want to use armor (Devil of Caroc Breastplate with proper enchantment - make sure Devil didn't survive in the imported/generated history) or weapon (Modwyr, the talking longsword) with Intelligence Affliction resistance, to avoid Confused status. Although it can sometimes be beneficial - like summoning skeletons with a Chanter (Beckoner would be best) and wielding Grave Calling saber to kill them and create Chilling Fogs with every kill - usually party friendly - but with Confused, the Fogs become party unfriendly - and kill more skeletons and generate more Fog persistant aoe instances - rapidly so (might want to avoid their radius and/or boast high Freeze resistance - Pale Elf?).

One of the best weapon for them is a morningstar - it has a -25 Fortitude modal and they can eventually target Fort instead of Deflection if lower -> can lead to many crits. More then makes up for the lowered damage with the modal.

Slow battleaxes with the brutal DOT mod would be best for the Retaliation build. But it comes online late.

If you specify what kind of barbarian you want, I can probably provide more specific advice.

Last edited:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone know if there's a mod available to let companions join your party at level 1 instead of the PC's level?

I came across a Skald (Konstanten) and am interested in trying a build but am not much taken with his existing build. Any other alternative than paying gold for a respec?

purupuru

Learned
Anyone know if there's a mod available to let companions join your party at level 1 instead of the PC's level?

I came across a Skald (Konstanten) and am interested in trying a build but am not much taken with his existing build. Any other alternative than paying gold for a respec?
I believe there is an option for this in the difficulty settings.

This is stupid. You'll be swimming in gold, the price of respec is nothing.

Last edited:
Anyways. I finished the game some time ago, and I gotta say the story becomes offensively stupid at the end. The god you chase reveals his plot at the end, and it's nonsensical in every way. You also can't really do anything to alter the outcome, except ask him kindly to do things differently.
You get some different ending slides but that's it.

I will say: The main quest is sub-bioware quality writing. Yes, it's worse than NWN. NWN at least had a big bad that you were motivated to beat, and which itself had understandable motives, and that you got to beat in the end. But this quest was just nonsensical.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Diggfinger

Arcane
So, I finally finished Deadfire on Path of teh Damned :D:D:D:D:D

Took me 115 hours, almost exactly the same I played PoE 1 in total.
Deadfire definitely a biggergame though, I maxed out at lvl 20 but didnt do any of the DLCs (only Winter one, still miss last boss).

Installed the lvl cap mod (increases to 33\ although max possible is 27(.
Dunno why that wasnt an option in the game, pointless to cap at 20 wth so much content!

Anyway, amazing game!!!!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Dunno why that wasnt an option in the game, pointless to cap at 20 wth so much content!

The proper way to play is to install this mod and only use multi-class characters. Did a Bleak Walker/X mercenary party that was pretty fun for a while. End game gets easier but on PotD it can still be a challenge sometimes and you at least feel like your characters are progressing through the last quarter of the game.

POE1 had the same XP problem. I remember I installed a mod that reduces xp by 25% or something so you didn't hit max lvl in the middle of the DLC. Still maxed out and didn't do all the warden missions.

Anyway, amazing game!!!!

Lets take it down a notch there buddy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm noticing some microstutters in the game, when I'm in a town. Anyone knows what could cause this? I'm just walking around in the town, and every 8-10 seconds, there is sudden stutter, then it goes back to normal. I'm using an SSD.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Deadfire definitely a biggergame though, I maxed out at lvl 20 but didnt do any of the DLCs (only Winter one, still miss last boss).

Anyway, amazing game!!!!
Is it really that good? Seeing nothing but negative here; although, I take it with a grain of salt. These faggots said Age of Cuckadence would be good, which was banal-shit boring. I've still not finished PoE, but it's a long ass fucking game. I also keep restarting. Just wondering if it's worth it to play this instead of spending whatever free time I have during the Christmas break on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Anyway, amazing game!!!!
Is it really that good? Seeing nothing but negative here; although, I take it with a grain of salt. These faggots said Age of Cuckadence would be good, which was banal-shit boring. I've still not finished PoE, but it's a long ass fucking game. I also keep restarting. Just wondering if it's worth it to play this instead of spending whatever free time I have during the Christmas break on Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Kingmaker is a far better game then either POE1/2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom