Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There is a quest in this game where a racist asks you to help kill a black guy (who is a warlock in the mountains in Norway in 9th century), but the black guy tells you that Norwegians are a bunch of bigots so you help him kill the racist instead. There is no choice to do anything else.
Lol, so you pretty much assumed you are supposed to kill the nord because the warlock told you so?
In fact, that choice is handled via gameplay, you can kill either of them yourself or let the nord kill the warlock, that is 3 outcomes.
No, because the game didn't give me the choice to kill the black dude. They start fighting, and the only one I can hit is the racist. Then after the fight ends I couldn't attack the warlock either.
I'm telling you the choice is there, you can kill either of them (or none) - I killed the warlock in my game. You probably didn't know how to switch targets or something.
To be fair, I actually wanted to kill the nord, but those fucks have been fighting in the bushes and I accidentally slayed the warlock.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is a quest in this game where a racist asks you to help kill a black guy (who is a warlock in the mountains in Norway in 9th century), but the black guy tells you that Norwegians are a bunch of bigots so you help him kill the racist instead. There is no choice to do anything else.
Lol, so you pretty much assumed you are supposed to kill the nord because the warlock told you so?
In fact, that choice is handled via gameplay, you can kill either of them yourself or let the nord kill the warlock, that is 3 outcomes.
No, because the game didn't give me the choice to kill the black dude. They start fighting, and the only one I can hit is the racist. Then after the fight ends I couldn't attack the warlock either.
I'm telling you the choice is there, you can kill either of them (or none) - I killed the warlock in my game. You probably didn't know how to switch targets or something.
To be fair, I actually wanted to kill the nord, but those fucks have been fighting in the bushes and I accidentally slayed the warlock.
Ok booomer, if the game is not giving me a quest compass pointing to the guy and the objective that reads "Kill", how am I supposed to know what is possible, duh?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
if the game is not giving me a quest compass pointing to the guy and the objective that reads "Kill", how am I supposed to know what is possible, duh?
There is a certain investigation quest in one of the starting regions where you must find which of the 3 guys is a traitor. The game gives you 3 quests to go talk with each of them and then make a decision.
What the game doesn't tell you (no quests, journal or map entries, or even direct hints in the dialog):
- you can find several witnesses in the city to talk with;
- you can find and investigate the suspects houses;
- you can follow clues from the crime scene to several not obvious locations, which requires deduction and remembering some of the earlier events, to find more clues.
All the stuff you find like this is not even registered in any way.
Frankly, I initially thought the game was glitched in some way, since I don't remember the last time I played a game which had a total of zero handholding like this.
Yet it worked perfectly in the end, I could report all clues discovered and make a choice, and the game didn't even tell if the choice is right for awhile more.

Oh, well I guess I was the racist all along.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ubisoft does history...

Always has been like this.

Yep. The kung-fu fight with a magical Pope in AC2 should've been a hint.

AC has always stuck to the American idea of portraying history - "more authentic = more boring". So everything must be pimped out and goofed up and sprinkled with glitter to keep people interested.

People are so woozy and dumbefied by all that artificial, hightened-reality glitzy junk they can't see how beautifully raw and cruel and utterly mesmerizing is actual history.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AC should either fully embrace fantasy, abandon the sci-fi elements and treat mythology as real, or hire Dan Vavra.
I'd enjoy Odyssey 100x more if it went balls-to-the-wall with gods, monsters, Titans, centaurs and all that stuff. Full-on Greek myth fantasy. Sign me the fuck up.

But that goofy, limp dicky, "half the Spartan army are women", half-assed drivel we actually got bored me to death 10 hours in.

just

Liturgist
AC should either fully embrace fantasy, abandon the sci-fi elements and treat mythology as real, or hire Dan Vavra.
would buy if they go full fantasy but they wont
next in line aztecs or someone around those parts, maybe china

Paul_cz

Arcane
This game is incline as far as AC franchise is concerned. It is still Ubigame, and there are dozens niggles and flaws and nits to pick, but I legit liked the "Kingmaker saga" questline I just did. Some likeable characters there and enjoyable dialogue. It feels slightly less gamey too, eventhough the focus on immersion is still nowhere near something like KCD or RDR2.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
People are so woozy and dumbefied by all that artificial, hightened-reality glitzy junk they can't see how beautifully raw and cruel and utterly mesmerizing is actual history.

Actually, most people have no interest in history, especially history that is not connected to current age dogmas ie. wokism, black movement, holocaust, women rights/suffrage etc. Just a "plain" history of a serbians fighting off ottomans? Some court intrigue? That's boring and noninclusive to BIPOC and women.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Actually, most people have no interest in history, especially history that is not connected to current age dogmas ie. wokism, black movement, holocaust, women rights/suffrage etc. Just a "plain" history of a serbians fighting off ottomans? Some court intrigue? That's boring and noninclusive to BIPOC and women.
Worry not, they have interest in anything the next HBO blockbuster comfy food tells them is interesting. It's just the right thing hasn't come along yet. Do you imagine how many people bought this turd because they wanted to larp their "Vikings" character?

Dare to dream big - AC should die and Vavra should take its market share but with actually historical, interesting and educational games in AC's place.

But that goofy, limp dicky, "half the Spartan army are women", half-assed drivel
And when you imagine that they don't make it shit and boring on purpose, it's simply the best they can actually do.

JDR13

Arcane
AC has always stuck to the American idea of portraying history - "more authentic = more boring". So everything must be pimped out and goofed up and sprinkled with glitter to keep people interested.

I doubt that America has much to do with how a French/Canadian developer is making their games.

Avarize

Magister

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And when you imagine that they don't make it shit and boring on purpose, it's simply the best they can actually do.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. When I played Origins and Odyssey I kept thinking: "This could've been so much better if the suits stopped constricting their devs and told them: You have creative freedom, go nuts".

This is the fundamental difference between stressing quality and stressing accessibility. If you do the former, you'll get Witcher 3. If the latter, you'll get nuAC. If you're constantly obsessing about the lowest common denominator, if you're constantly asking "Isn't our game too smart? Too challenging? Too different?" you can never produce anything better than a drab average.

I just feel the heavy hand of management in these Western AAA products, not the lack of development talent.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No one wonders why the female version of the MC looks like a butch on steriods?

Boiling frog syndrome. 10 years from now even based gamers will be puzzled by complaints like this.

Hell comments like these are already getting all sorts of
rating_prosper.png
and
rating_retarded.png
and
fedora.png
even on Codex of all places.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Any decent Assassins Creed ended when the ancient aliens themes were removed. It was really grandiose and wild, now you have generic "history" TV show. As others said, it would be better if they went fantasy route rather than this pseudohistoric shit.

Avarize

Magister
Boiling frog syndrome. 10 years from now even based gamers will be puzzled by complaints like this.

Hell comments like these are already getting all sorts of
rating_prosper.png
and
rating_retarded.png
and
fedora.png
even on Codex of all places.
Silver linings. Maybe they'll eventually stop gender divisions of gender in sports when they go crazy enough with this. Just imagine some genderqueer stepping into the cage with Brock Lesnar.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This is the fundamental difference between stressing quality and stressing accessibility. If you do the former, you'll get Witcher 3.
Actually Witcher 3's quality is entirely in its story and characters writing. Anything gameplay-related leans heavily on the accessibility side, so much so that you can play without care for most of its systems.

AC is on the accessibility side just as much as Witcher 3 is, making sure that every braindead exhausted middle aged guy will be able to trudge through one hour of repetitive combat when he gets home from work. But the writing which adds nothing to the "difficulty" being so inept is really the product of the writers' ability. I don't mean the complexity of plots, merely how the writers use language and where the inspiration comes for the stories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom