Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Free strategy & tactical games

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
thesheeep here's one that might be fitting for this thread.

https://www.lifewire.com/rise-fall-civilizations-at-war-812408

About Rise & Fall Civilizations At War
Rise & Fall Civilizations At War is a real time strategy game originally released in 2006. The game is set during the first millennium BC and and contains a mix of traditional real time strategy game play as well as first and third person shooter game play. The game received mostly positive reviews and after 2 years it was released by Midway Games as ad supported freeware sponsored by the U.S. Air Force.

I haven't played the game or tried any of those download links.

index.php

Arcane
Star Ruler 2
2015-04-12_00014.jpg

"Star Ruler 2 is a massive scale 4X/RTS set in space. Explore dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of systems in a galaxy of your choosing, expand across its planets, exploit the resources you find, and ultimately exterminate any who stand in your way. The fate of your empire depends on your ability to master the economy, field a military, influence galactic politics, and learn what you can about the universe."

Ready to play version (compiled+music): https://github.com/Megalex42/StarRuler2-Source/releases

Zero-K
r156c.jpg

Open source RTS game similar to Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. It's also available on Steam.

Aurora 4X
LnvIl.jpg

"The Dwarf Fortress of 4X space games"

Netstorm
Link is dead, new location: http://www.netstormhq.net/

Link is dead, new location: https://archive.org/details/1848_game

S.W.I.N.E.

Link is dead, new location: https://www.moddb.com/games/swn/downloads/s-w-i-n-e-full-game
HD patch: http://digi.atw.hu/2.3.php?lang=en

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.soil-rts.com/
https://www.indiedb.com/games/soil

Soil is a space real time strategy game inspired by Homeworld and others. You have base, you mine asteroids, build ships and send them to their deaths. Ships are made of subsystems and hardpoints, destroying them removes functions of those subsystems and removes turrets. Debris from damaged or destroyed ships can be mined for more resources. Game features unfinished campaign and somewhat working multiplayer (there may be some desyncs, but if it doesn't happen too often games resyncs automatically) Game is primarily made for windows, but most likely runs on linux with WINE (at least it does on Ubuntu)

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Frank Hunter's classic Civil War game is free here

Tried it a while back, it runs a bit wonky on modern Windows systems, but it does still work. Great game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

SOVL is a ruleset for playing fantasy wargames. It can be played with miniatures on a table or digitally on Steam.
dorfs.png

Fantasy armies meet on the battlefield and fight until one side is the bloody victor. Units of soldiers maneuver on the table and the outcome of melee combat, volleys of arrows and destructive spells is decided with dice rolls.

Features in the digital version:

Campaign mode:
"Trail of Death" is a procedural campaign with roguelite elements. Start with a small warband and develop it into a grand army that can challenge the final boss.

SOVL Army Builder: Create and customize your army for any of the SOVL factions. Choose a Commander to lead, select units and their equipment, and design a color scheme.

AI Battle: Take your custom army and try it out against an AI opponent. Test your unit compositions and optimize your strategies.

Steam Multiplayer: Play games online against others on Steam. Challenge your friends and crush them on the battlefield!

Lagi

Savant

SOVL is a ruleset for playing fantasy wargames. It can be played with miniatures on a table or digitally on Steam.
dorfs.png

Fantasy armies meet on the battlefield and fight until one side is the bloody victor. Units of soldiers maneuver on the table and the outcome of melee combat, volleys of arrows and destructive spells is decided with dice rolls.

Features in the digital version:

Campaign mode:
"Trail of Death" is a procedural campaign with roguelite elements. Start with a small warband and develop it into a grand army that can challenge the final boss.

SOVL Army Builder: Create and customize your army for any of the SOVL factions. Choose a Commander to lead, select units and their equipment, and design a color scheme.

AI Battle: Take your custom army and try it out against an AI opponent. Test your unit compositions and optimize your strategies.

Steam Multiplayer: Play games online against others on Steam. Challenge your friends and crush them on the battlefield!

thats a nice warhammer-like rules set, better than Games Workshop creation i think ... not too many variety of troops, there was some crazy units in whm.
I enjoy it. It show how simple tabletop wargames really are, they just bloated by the ruleset.
You basically want to land a flank charge (that all what this battle is about), then target is locked in unfavorable position till he flee, but dwarfs f.ex. are very stubborn and prefere to get wipeout that run.

here are rules explained
https://perwahl.github.io/SOVLRules/docs/GameLoop/CombatPhase.html

if your skill is higher than opponent you hit on 3+ (66%), otherwise on 4+ (50%)

each point of difference between power and defense shift the % to wound 50% +- 17% per point (one point on d6 from 4+). f.ex. Power 5 vs Def 3 = 83% wound chance

i play it few times.
game is all about properly landing this one flank charge that is winning you the battle, all after that is just pressing space to roll the dice.

I would said all this combat system and dice rolling is just wrist exercise because it not affecting the battle too much. You cannot make any choice. You just rolling buckets of dice.
To make it more interesting the game need more units, more movement on the board and ... faster dice rolling.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added some of the more recent posts. Now I'm also using the watch feature on this thread, so there is a chance it will take me less than 1-2 years to update the list in the future :lol:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Small grand strategy game with auto battles, real challenge and weird humour. Very good to kill a couple hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom