Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
AcRlq13.png

Cool formation I'm using.
Looks like goatse.
Which cannot be unseen. :smug:
It really doesn't.

schru

Arcane
Trying one of the CRT filters that comes with regular DOSBox. Improvement?
I'd say the one called CRT.D3D.br.fx included with the SVN Daum build of DOSBox is much better. For it to work correctly, in the CONF file use the desktop value for ‘fullresolution’, enable ‘doublescan’ (otherwise the shader emulates an old TV set with fewer vertical lines), and use the hardware scalers (perhaps only hardware_none will produce the right result, I'm not sure now). You might want to disable #define REF_LEVELS in the shader's file with // as it's also probably meant to compensate for colour profiles in old console games, as the shader was probably made for them. Lowering the output gamma a little to something like 2.45 might also be good (the non-‘br’ version of the shader is too dark on the other hand).

It's not the best one available and there are probably other builds of DOSBox that support more elaborate shaders, but it should be fairly pleasant to the eyes.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Trying one of the CRT filters that comes with regular DOSBox. Improvement?
I'd say the one called CRT.D3D.fx included with the SVN Daum build of DOSBox is much better. For it to work correctly, in the CONF file use the desktop value for ‘fullresolution’, enable ‘doublescan’ (otherwise the shader emulates an old TV set with fewer vertical lines), and use the hardware scalers (perhaps only hardware_none will produce the right result, I'm not sure now).

It's not the best one available and there are probably other builds of DOSBox that support more elaborate shaders, but it should be fairly pleasant to the eyes.

I'm not crazy about the result myself, but I thought I'd try it. I'm not gonna change my DOSBox set-up, though, especially for FRUA which is a rather intricate set-up.

schru

Arcane
I'm not crazy about the result myself, but I thought I'd try it. I'm not gonna change my DOSBox set-up, though, especially for FRUA which is a rather intricate set-up.
Sorry, I edited the post to add a few details just now:

You might want to disable #define REF_LEVELS in the shader's file with // as it's also probably meant to compensate for colour profiles in old console games, as the shader was probably made for them. Lowering the output gamma a little to something like 2.45 might also be good (the non-‘br’ version of the shader is too dark on the other hand).

spekkio

Arcane
MRgQz7t.jpg

:yeah:

fad5jTo.jpg

B24H4Ax.jpg

:bro:

kXTG9tQ.jpg

MzULRbq.jpg

Chykka? Moar like Cyka Blyat, amrite? "One of the hardest boss-battles ever" my ass... :roll:

Now this shit:

ReoPhUY.jpg

Was a different story. Even using quicksaves, I constantly was like:

h5uWFIJ.gif

Without quicksaves I would ragequit immediately...

Map / area designers did a good job here. And some drugs as well, probably:

WWuH6eS.jpg

sNJAs4v.jpg

Wo7Y0Fm.jpg

But some things are really irritating. For example this shit:

6bJ6cqQ.jpg

You are supposed to learn how to jump between spider-ball tracks here, but somehow this shit doesn't work. To grab the opposite track, you need to:
a) have R pressed (attach to the track),
b) press and hold B (spin), then release it to "launch" from the track,
c) ...while still keeping R pressed (to attach to the second track),
d) ...and for some retarded reason, press left or right on the directional stick during the jump.

Without the d) ;) Samus won't grab the other track.

lSCpMe2.jpg

#sadmorphballnoises

I dunno if it's a "feature" of the game, or an emulation bug. But this shit simply doesn't work. And ALL later situations where I had to spider-jump to other track worked like a charm (without the d) part above). WTF?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This is what I want to see every time I look down in an FPS, -1 game score if you are just a floating camera with a gun or sword attached.

E1wqo0k.jpg

I forgot that you could pick up pretty much anything in Dark Messiah and throw it at enemies. I didn't get it on a screenshot but there's nothing more satisfying than throwing a pan into the head of some unsuspecting guard and then kicking him off a ledge.

cDzyJyt.jpg

Aha, you know what it is...

Eirw9YC.jpg

I have no idea why the skybox is so low-res.

8vZSfCe.jpg

Yeah, I'm 'mirin.

IMj4A36.jpg

Character models still look alright, but some textures here and there are very blurry. Typical source engine jank.

IEEFAPY.jpg

This is the first point you're let loose and there's a bunch of hidden secrets around here. The game also makes a lot of use of verticality, Arkane flexing their Thief muscles.

YSEOeBf.jpg

Source games require a female sidekick, Alyx Vance, Jessica Cannon... This game has two of them, a demon in your head and this chick.

QCdHkgR.jpg

Look at these textures, pretty sharp, but then you go to another part of the level and shit is blurry as fuck. Why were all source engine games like this?

DUEbiwj.jpg

Here is the first area where you really get to play around with enemies. Kick them into the fire, throw oil at the ground, set that on fire, wave around that box and hit them with it, throw a box at them, destroy that pillar and burying them under junk...

wDwYHpS.jpg

Kersplat!

2vpvWbB.jpg

They don't scream as much as I'd like them to when I set them on fire.

Ov3KdLK.jpg

This was a fun little combat arena where you can take multiple paths everywhere. Climb up on top of things, or up on ropes, you can take the street path and fight some goons, or you can go into the sewers and spring up from below into the warehouse you're getting into.

3tG3Y1d.jpg

Forging a sword.

Cf9UdXW.jpg

After some cave adventures I'm meeting up with her again.

nLSZS7f.jpg

This level kept crashing my game, so I stopped playing there. Your leg and the kick is the most OP weapon in the entire game, I sent this guy flying down into the water and there you go, defeated.

iT3UHvR.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
Metroid Prime - Upside Down Edition

I need to replay that someday, although I remember liking the first game a lot more.

Which reminds me.. whatever happened to Metroid Prime 4? Are they trying to make it the next Duke Nuken Forever or something?

lightbane

Arcane
I dunno if it's a "feature" of the game, or an emulation bug. But this shit simply doesn't work. And ALL later situations where I had to spider-jump to other track worked like a charm (without the d) part above). WTF?

Probably emulation issues. Tell us how MP3 works, since it requires using the 'Mote to move stuff and I dunno how it would translate to emulation (in may case I'll use my PS3 pad). The screen seems quite... Busy in some sections, maybe even overcrowded, but it still looks nice.

JDR13

Arcane

Probably emulation issues. Tell us how MP3 works, since it requires using the 'Mote to move stuff and I dunno how it would translate to emulation (in may case I'll use my PS3 pad). The screen seems quite... Busy in some sections, maybe even overcrowded, but it still looks nice.

Good luck with that. You're better off getting a Wiimote for that one.

HansDampf

Arcane
But some things are really irritating. For example this shit:

6bJ6cqQ.jpg

You are supposed to learn how to jump between spider-ball tracks here, but somehow this shit doesn't work. To grab the opposite track, you need to:
a) have R pressed (attach to the track),
b) press and hold B (spin), then release it to "launch" from the track,
c) ...while still keeping R pressed (to attach to the second track),
d) ...and for some retarded reason, press left or right on the directional stick during the jump.

Without the d) ;) Samus won't grab the other track.

lSCpMe2.jpg

#sadmorphballnoises

I don't remember this ever being an issue. You shouldn't have to touch the stick at all.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Tonite on Bottom Gear we drive trucks across the UK to make fat stacks of cash.

xt8wzok.jpg

Hav to deliver a couple of tomatos from Newcastle to Lundun.

NGwtoFl.jpg

Pretty decent road sign innit? There are only three places in the UK: Newcastle, Manchester and Lundun. Getting lost 'ere would be 'ard, guv.

TM9erUi.jpg

Fookin hell, m8, already getting tired.

u2VZLPT.jpg

Me drivin' is fooking excellent, m8. Captain slow my arse.

AIKzEaL.jpg

Saved by the petrol station, just gonna take a quick nap here, a proper stealth camp. Thank fuck you don't hav' to take a piss too.

v5CFIy9.jpg

Lundun, finally. The great glass buttplug bids me welcome.

ypViOHD.jpg

The game's outdated, no more eurocrap on British shores anymore, luv.

ZskCfYM.jpg

Holy fuck, now we have come to the boss of the stage, the parking lot and cargo entrance. Lining this shit up is ball-bustingly hard, impossible from 1st person view.

5wNnPJ7.jpg

Not bad, m8. Soon I can afford that chevrolet corvette and impress the missus. Just a couple of more laps innit?

g1mRcBs.jpg

Bloody fleecers trying to scam we with certificates and other nonsense.

BpsxfuH.jpg

Shit, m8. Forgot this was the UK and you drive on the wrong side of the road here. We're properly snoggered, m8. HAMMOND!

YsxgkzC.jpg

This isn't working out, we're never going to get funding for our new show this way. And now back to the studio where our guest Sadiq Khan will explain how to get maximum usage out of your truck on christmas eve and why crowds should be allowed despite the shaolin sneeze scare.

P6eNAcU.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom