Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Also, the cutscenes are blatantly lazy with that obvious screen reduction.

They didn't eve care to remaster the freaking cutscenes? God..

A stream of the early game, in Japanese. Voice acting seems to be spot on, for the most part, with some like Chiaki that sound weird and perhaps inappropiate, but that's a matter of personal opinion. The stream is in Merciful Mode, which is clearly EZ with lower encounter rate and less unfair RNG. I doubt there's an option for specific inheritance system upon fusing. Also, the cutscenes are blatantly lazy with that obvious screen reduction.

Is that Merciful? He's dying quite quickly to the Specter boss and is needing to grind. He doesn't seem to be underleveled either, so its not a case of low encounter rate = less XP. It doesn't look too significantly different from what I'm used to (hard), if someone told me it was normal I'd believe them, but its nowhere near easy enough for what I'd expect a games journalist difficulty mode to be.

EDIT: Checked the start of the stream and apparently it is. Weird. Can't wait to hear about all the people who can't beat merciful.

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, you can change difficulty mid-game now. He was on Normal for Specter. But he still dies to random encounters on merciful :lol:. Doesn't seem to understand that having backup demons is good.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
A stream of the early game, in Japanese. Voice acting seems to be spot on, for the most part, with some like Chiaki that sound weird and perhaps inappropiate, but that's a matter of personal opinion. The stream is in Merciful Mode, which is clearly EZ with lower encounter rate and less unfair RNG. I doubt there's an option for specific inheritance system upon fusing. Also, the cutscenes are blatantly lazy with that obvious screen reduction.

Is that Merciful? He's dying quite quickly to the Specter boss and is needing to grind. He doesn't seem to be underleveled either, so its not a case of low encounter rate = less XP. It doesn't look too significantly different from what I'm used to (hard), if someone told me it was normal I'd believe them, but its nowhere near easy enough for what I'd expect a games journalist difficulty mode to be.

EDIT: Checked the start of the stream and apparently it is. Weird. Can't wait to hear about all the people who can't beat merciful.

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, you can change difficulty mid-game now. He was on Normal for Specter. But he still dies to random encounters on merciful :lol:. Doesn't seem to understand that having backup demons is good.

I think he's play careless because he played the game so many times already (the guy do low level runs of nocturne) lol But yeah , Merciful don't seems braindead easy.

lightbane

Arcane
But yeah , Merciful don't seems braindead easy.
It's still a MegaTen game, which means it requires a functional brain. He's likely rusty and not playing seriously since it's a test run.

Game journos will be quite probably unable to go past Matador, even with EZ mode.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Game journos will be quite probably unable to go past Matador, even with EZ mode.

That's is what i looking foward.

''Game is nothing like Persona 5 , none of the characters are good , there's no social aspect and game is too hard , even on easy. 6/10''

They spent all that time and effort to port the game to a new engine yet couldn't give us even some basic improvements like selectable fusion results. Fucking hell.

CyberModuled

Savant
Well hey, on the bright side it means Denuvo isn't going to be an issue since Denuvo can be bypassed in Unity games with a custom dll file
Even funnier given it's happened with SEGA in the past.

I've tested HD Remaster on both Switch emulators on Linux.

1. Ryujinx - it loaded intro after 4-5 minutes (I thought I just crashed), after choosing a new game screen goes black and won't load.
2. Yuzu - runs GREAT on OpenGL, almost constant 30 fps beyond combat and 25-26 during combat, there are few glitches like messed / missing textures and screen flickering in few moments but that's all. It crashes immediately on Vulkan but it maybe just Linux issue as it was with SMO.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Early impressions video, based on Japanese version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akuFm5Fty3w

The guy isn't very excited about the remaster. Also, the lowest difficulty (merciful) seems to be piss easy ('Kotaku journalist difficulty'). Press will be happy.

Seems like a very lazy remaster overall.

Edit: Data mining on the game files shows Steam version incoming.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, I never played any SMT games, but I like P 3-5. Is Nocturne remaster worth looking forward to? How is it different from Personas?

How is it different from Personas?

No social links / slice of life bullshit - they're just pure dungeon crawlers.

No cliche anime dumfucks except for Apocalypse.

No candysweet paths - every route ends with you murdering one of your friend who in most cases went through some horrible body tranformation and became slave of certain ideology... just as you.

SMT1 and SMT2 are easier than Persona 3-5, rest are harder.

Don't forget about Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei compilation.

Nocturne or Strange Journey are best to start with, especially SJ if you want western orientend game as possible but play original, then you can play 3DS remake which has moar content but also suffers from terrible artsyle.

Best way to describe Strange Journey is SMT + Doom + The Thing + Event Horizon.

Oh, and if you didn't play first two Personas, they're much closer to SMT. P1 has best dungeons of entire Persona series (I mean - in Snow Queen Route) and Innocent Sin / Eternal Punishment rule as far as plot / atmosphere goes.

Last edited:

Vyadhis

Learned
How do Strange Journey deluxe (the 3ds one) and both SMTIV games run via emulation now?

Silva

Arcane
The problem with recent Personas is that they became glorified visual novels, and with bad, padded writing at that. I literally dropped P5 after beating the last boss due to the ensuing dialogue being so extremely long and boring I would puke if I kept reading. P4 is the same.

Persona 3 was my first P game and, while not perfect, it was very good as it was more of a dungeon crawler with a social layer attached rather than the contrary.

Puukko

Arcane

Reality

Learned
When I read "sheep" I thought it would be Barong because I've always felt silly using that Sheep in every endgame over all the major gods (I know it's technically a Lion)

Ialda

Learned
Bros, I never played any SMT games, but I like P 3-5. Is Nocturne remaster worth looking forward to? How is it different from Personas?

SMT games are systemic games - idiots progress by levelling up, but clever guys know that the whole point is to grok the mechanisms and milk the game to death.

Persona is a soap opera, you are here to enjoy the characters interactions with the cute teen waifus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom