Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Machocruz

Arcane
Wow I had no idea the redesigns were that bad. Every single one is a huge miss. They turned Stockpile Bromas into a pudgy milkbitch. Yuria looks like a Midwestern rugmuncher who tells you to swipe left if you support Trump. Man-eater looks like he should be fighting Rudolph and Frosty at the north pole.

This game is going to be my new taste test, to suss out who is a culturally inbred mongoloid and who's not. Glad I kept my PS3.

Repressed Homosexual
After 11 hours of play I don't have any issues with the game, everything seems to play identically. Some of the character designs being slightly less edgy... don't care about this.

I'm only disappointed in the new music, I think it's quite worse, some generic orchestra. Totally unneeded change.

Repressed Homosexual
Sorry, I'm weak :negative:

1741b7240170b9238ea53af705280973o.jpg

I still have the original Asian version from years ago, before there was any confirmation of a Western release.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just finished the game (rpcs3). Found 4 sets of gear, 3 of them are male-only. I played a female. Lmao at the game being so sexist. Now I see why they added sex changing coffin in DS2 - it's an acknowledgement that there should've been a way to change sex in DeS, too. In DS2 it's non-functional, in DeS it would've been super useful.

Anyway, great game. ROFLING at faggots playing the SJW version on PS5.

PrettyDeadman

Just finished the game (rpcs3). Found 4 sets of gear, 3 of them are male-only. I played a female. Lmao at the game being so sexist. Now I see why they added sex changing coffin in DS2 - it's an acknowledgement that there should've been a way to change sex in DeS, too. In DS2 it's non-functional, in DeS it would've been super useful.

Anyway, great game. ROFLING at faggots playing the SJW version on PS5.
Des has 5 male only (1 of which is useful), 4 female only (2 of which is useful) and 10 unisex armor sets. Whats even the point of having gendered armor sets if you can switch gender? What a stupid thing to complain about.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alright so Flamelurker and King Allant were like the only two bosses that were somewhat engaging.
No offense frienderino, but you are the reason the souls games declined over time.
And you're the reason this thread is retarded. Souls didn't "decline" over time, Bloodborn and Sekiro are phenomenal. It's just your brain has been corroded with a serious mental disease called nostalgiafaggotry. That plus a general retardiness and autistic edgelordism is a terrible combination.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Alright so Flamelurker and King Allant were like the only two bosses that were somewhat engaging.
No offense frienderino, but you are the reason the souls games declined over time.
And you're the reason this thread is retarded. Souls didn't "decline" over time, Bloodborn and Sekiro are phenomenal. It's just your brain has been corroded with a terrible mental disease called nostalgiafaggotry.
Bloodborne and Sekiro are not actual Souls games though

PrettyDeadman

And you're the reason this thread is retarded. Souls didn't "decline" over time, Bloodborn and Sekiro are phenomenal. It's just your brain has been corroded with a serious mental disease called nostalgiafaggotry. That plus a general retardiness and autistic edgelordism is a terrible combination.
Its telling that in order to demostrate that souls games didnt decline you have to name games which are not souls.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Its telling that in order to demostrate that souls games didnt decline you have to name games which are not souls.
For the record: I prefer bloodborne to souls. I think sekiro is different enough it doesn't readily compare (but I do like it the least of all from games I've played).

Doesn't change the fact that Ds2 and 3 are big decline.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For the record: I prefer bloodborne to souls. I think sekiro is different enough it doesn't readily compare (but I do like it the least of all from games I've played).

Doesn't change the fact that Ds2 and 3 are big decline.
Demon's Souls is a weirdo horror-fantasy mishmash that somehow works. Dragons! Zombies! Eldritch beings! DnD mindflayers! Fecal demons that kill you with clouds of flies while you trudge knee-deep in shit! You turn into ghost upon death! And if you die too often the game becomes even harder! Every location, boss, design decision and gameplay mechanic is memorable and unique in its execution.

Dark Souls is DeS' standard fantasy half, expanded and refined. Bloodborne is DeS' horror half, expanded and refined. Dark Souls 2, despite falling short in terms of world design thanks to game's troubled development, overall mechanically expands on DaS1. Dark Souls 3 is the only Fromsoft game that can be called decline, since it just regurgitates DeS and DaS1 ideas without bringing anything new. If you call DaS2 a decline, then DaS1 and Bloodborne are decline too.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
And you're the reason this thread is retarded. Souls didn't "decline" over time, Bloodborn and Sekiro are phenomenal. It's just your brain has been corroded with a terrible mental disease called nostalgiafaggotry.
Bloodborne and Sekiro are not actual Souls games though
They're also actually, you know, not good.

IceyD

Scholar

I thought boss designs were the most common criticism of DeS? Not saying other aspects of the game were bad or anything. I'm a big Souls fan, hate to think my bad taste is bringing it down =[

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I thought boss designs were the most common criticism of DeS? Not saying other aspects of the game were bad or anything. I'm a big Souls fan, hate to think my bad taste is bringing it down =[
Well, they weren't all roll-roll-roll-punish-roll-roll fights you had to learn the bosses' attacks for.

Some fights had a bit of stealth, there was a PvP one, another boss killed herself, one was a mercy-killing, exploring the arena was rewarded with a weapon against the boss, etc.

Not everything turned out great, of course, but overall, a Bossfight was more memorable than in later titles, where you mostly knew what to expect.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I think there's two camps of souls players (probably more, but lets ignore that). There's the ones who like it because it was a fresh take on narrative, combat, exploration and design for an aRPG. And then there's the ones that like it because it is a AAA game that is actually challenging in a world increasingly filled with trivial games. And over time the novelty of the experience took repeated blows in favor of making it more challenging. The over reliance on "big dudes with swords" is the most obvious symptom of this, because big dudes with swords make for a good and fair challenge in a way that phalanx and fools idol don't.

I'm part of the former group and I think From has been moving away from that and more towards making generic challenging action games. It's not all bad, I still really like bloodborne despite its faster pace, but I also think a lot of people think bb is too easy?

IceyD

Scholar
Is the sample size even big enough to say it's moving away from being creative or going downhill? I'd expect this sentiment with like the Final Fantasy fanbase but didn't know it was prevalent in Souls which is a handful of games, several being different IPs, and DS2 being hand waived completely since it was a different director/team.

All of the Miyazaki ones have some wack boss setups, creative level design, and an engrossing atmosphere.

I'll admit I was being unfair in my first statement though. I did like the puzzle like elements of some of the fights in DeS. But if there's less of that and more strafe & whack in the other titles, I think they still do a good job in creating memorable setups.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
DS2 being hand waived completely since it was a different director/team.
B-team is a meme with not a lot of basis in reality afaik. You could make the argument for Miyazaki being integral to making a creative souls game (afaik he had a very large role in DeS, ds1 and bb, and a minor role in ds2, 3 and sekiro, but I am not hugely confident in this statement), but I suspect it's From listening to what is imo the wrong part of the fanbase. It has lead them to huge financial and critical success though, so it's hard to blame them.

IceyD

Scholar
Hm yeah not sure about DS2 development, didn't know it was disputed.

On a side note, I see most footage of people playing this game with the brightness way too high. Really kills the experience of a lot of segments.

wahrk

Learned
Souls games might have declined but that’s not really saying much if the original game is a masterpiece. I’d still take the worst Souls game over 90% of other games out there. Each one has its own unique draw for me.

Shinji

Savant
For some reason I always end up back at Silent Hill when I think of Demons Souls. I don't know why.
It's probably the atmosphere and context.

ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Ishar 1, Shadowgate 64 and Myst also gave me a similar vibe, and all of these games give you a feeling of solitude/loneliness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom