Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Management girl party member is never really fleshed out. It's not just her face model. The same goes for her personality. She's more of a side character, imo.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
>he didn't pre-order to use Kaoru's outfit w/ Saeka...
You don't need to pre-order to get that outfit fwiw, it's dlc.
I bought the legendary hero edition or whatever the most expensive version of the game is to support the devs (or at least I choose to believe that the extra money will somehow reach the devs haha) and all the outfits and other dlc are included in that one.

distant

Learned
Ah man... heads up chapter 12 has one of those "earn 3 million yen" Shenmue-ish bs sections. Wish I had known because I was blowing cash on all kinds of incremental damage increases that weren't really necessary cause the combat is very forgiving.

Jinn

Arcane
Was just going to post that around Chapter 9 - having not been charging into every battle I see, and not taking advantage of the fairly overpowered weapons you get at the workshop - I've found that the combat has been getting more interesting. Would recommend this approach for people looking for a bit more of a challenge. I think this is around the time in the game that a lot of "game journalists" started to have a hard time getting through combat. For those of us around here, it means it's around the point where combat starts to get more engaging and pleasurable.

Again, the game should have shipped with a hard mode that you could access without New Game+. Difficulty has been about the only major drawback for me, but then again, it always is in a first playthrough of every Yakuza. Yakuza 7 comes out on top still in this regard for me, simply because there are situations where I have to stop and think in combat/can't just spam items till victory. I have a feeling it would have been a truly godly experience from beginning to end with a hard mode right from the get-go.

Fishy

Savant
Only started this one at the weekend, and only in chapter 5 so far, but I'm having a whale of a time. I generally dislike JRPGs, mostly for their tropes (angsty-insecure-teenager-saves-the-world-while-crying-then-shouts-a-lot-before-killing-gods) but also for their stupidly grindy and boring combat, so, well, I was apprehensive. Ultimately, while combat, to me, is a clear downgrade, I can live with it, and it at least *looks* active enough that it's not that bad. There's no denying it makes combat a bit less of a breeze, but it clearly isn't the same to invade a clan HQ with boring turn-based combat compared to the glory of Kiryu taking down dozens of mooks with heat finishers and using the last one to open doors.

That said, they doubled up on everything else from maps, to minigames, cutscenes... Dragon. Fucking. Kart! Absolutely loving it, and loving the new cast of characters. Only at chapter 5 too, so I barely scratched the surface. I'm going to spend ages on this one...

Reinhardt

Arcane
The only other game i played from their list is Genshin Impact and it's fucking chinese gacha so Yakuza is easiest vote in my life.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Management girl party member is never really fleshed out. It's not just her face model. The same goes for her personality. She's more of a side character, imo.
Pity, because i actually like her more than Saeko.

Does Ichiban get any pusspuss?
You can gift flowers to girls. That counts, right? Haven't finished any of the "romances" yet (you need max social stats I think) so I dunno if there's at least a fade-to-black or whatever.

Haven't seen any funny business so far, closest thing is a little cleavage shown when the girls wear certain outfits and Saeko in a towel.

For a series about Yakuza and nightlife and stuff that now outright shows 2 yakuza youngsters getting gunned the fuck down in bloody graphic fashion by a bunch of dudes, it is curiously sex-shy. Male enemies can be slathered in lube and in tiny bathing wear though, so there's that.
Korean boss lady is kind of hot in that skinny korean plastic surgery addict -kind of way, I guess. Has low-fidelity dangerhair though and not even a party member, even though you get her second in command (male) and the chinese mafia boss (also male) pal.

Game honestly seems very western in terms of what it shows (graphic headshot wounds, even if cheap looking in a cutscene for example) and doesn't show (anything particularly sexy)... At least so far (I think I'm at least two thirds through the main story or more).

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Pity, because i actually like her more than Saeko.

Does Ichiban get any pusspuss?
You can gift flowers to girls. That counts, right? Haven't finished any of the "romances" yet (you need max social stats I think) so I dunno if there's at least a fade-to-black or whatever.

Haven't seen any funny business so far, closest thing is a little cleavage shown when the girls wear certain outfits and Saeko in a towel.

For a series about Yakuza and nightlife and stuff that now outright shows 2 yakuza youngsters getting gunned the fuck down in bloody graphic fashion by a bunch of dudes, it is curiously sex-shy. Male enemies can be slathered in lube and in tiny bathing wear though, so there's that.
Korean boss lady is kind of hot in that skinny korean plastic surgery addict -kind of way, I guess. Has low-fidelity dangerhair though and not even a party member, even though you get her second in command (male) and the chinese mafia boss (also male) pal.

Game honestly seems very western in terms of what it shows (graphic headshot wounds, even if cheap looking in a cutscene for example) and doesn't show (anything particularly sexy)... At least so far (I think I'm at least two thirds through the main story or more).
Interesting.

Just curious if he's like Kiryu in that aspect too.

Endemic

Arcane
Kiryu could sleep with hookers in 3, iirc. Considering how many reviews complain about "representation of women" I can see why the sexual content has diminished in later Yakuza games.

Deadass

Savant
4DWJLsR.jpg

Deflowerer

Arcane

Seems pretty fake at first glance (tweet deleted also), but the model looks convincingly like a younger version of Watase and the title on the right is "Ashura ga Gotoku", Ashura being a Japanese version of Asura that also is inked on Watase's back.

A Watase game set in 80s?

Edit: Fake, it's faceapp manipulation.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why, what's wrong with it?

It's Japanese and thus anathema to many of the edgier codexers that inhabit GRPG. They are a detestable bunch that have the mentality of a 12 year old who so desperately wants to be seen as "mature" and eschew anything with any sort of whimsy. The colorful cartoon characters that are an everyday occurence in Japan strikes at their very core.

Another problem is that Japanese games tend to focus on gameplay, which is highly criticized on GRPG (check the thread about what turns you off an RPG, majority of the posts are gameplay related.) The only thing they hate more than gameplay are themselves.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It has great PACHINKO gameplay. It's shit as action game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom