Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Date Masamune is such a fun fight. Plus after 50 hours of gameplay or so, I've finally got the moveset down well enough that I vary my stances and moves pretty extensively even when I'm relatively close to the enemy.

At this rate I'm gonna go all hard on this shit until Abyss 999 BABY.
Tell me what you think about the next boss

Hyperion

Arcane
More than 2 million of those were on the ps4. They gave little ingame bonuses (like Gold Nioh armor for 1 million) to players who already owned the game as way of thanks.

sullynathan

Arcane
Can't lie, I eventually got bored and dropped it because my playstyle was too effective and I couldn't keep doing the same shit and stopped without beating it. Trying to get back into it now is so difficult because Sekiro, DMC5, Force Unleashed all played since then has made me lose all skills.

deuxhero

Arcane
More than 2 million of those were on the ps4. They gave little ingame bonuses (like Gold Nioh armor for 1 million) to players who already owned the game as way of thanks.

Which means a very significant chunk of the playerbase is PC, even though it wasn't ported to PC till well over half a year after launch.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Au0YdHp.jpg

Deflowerer

Arcane
Started my run of the Way of the Demon after beating NG with Odachi and NG+ with Axe. Now utilizing Kusarigama.

Also to make things interesting, I have been rolling for the use of LW and ranged weapons at the start of each stage since Way of the Strong, and also keep rolling for the other usables (items, Ninjutsu, Onmyou). This has led to some interesting situations where I can't just cheese my way out of things.

In any case, I just love how much mileage you can get out of a weapon. Axe felt so different from Odachi and forced me to relearn certain bosses and now Kusarigama has been really different from Axe.

Amazing game.

Some fun clips I took from today's playthrough:

https://streamable.com/hudm0j
https://streamable.com/f0oltx

cruel

Cipher
Game (complete edition with all DLC) is 70% off on Steam right now. Probably best price ever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Vyadhis

Learned
Game (complete edition with all DLC) is 70% off on Steam right now. Probably best price ever.

I just picked this up as an impulse buy because I love games like Demon/Dark Souls. How's the build and weapon diversity?

cruel

Cipher
I just picked this up as an impulse buy because I love games like Demon/Dark Souls. How's the build and weapon diversity?

Excellent, one of the strongest points of the game. Playing a light armor dual sword guy is a totally different experience than heavy armor and axe for example, which is also totally different than ninja build with kusarigama and ninjutsu, etc.

Just don't get intimidated in the beginning by stuff like stance switching and ki pulse - it will become very natural as you play. I keep saying that, but Nioh and Nioh 2 are the two best Souls-like games not made by From.

Deflowerer

Arcane

There's less emphasis on the difference between weapons of the same class and more on the difference between the core type, it's more like Diablo in that sense. But the actual weapon types feel very different and have a quite an extensive moveset. It feels absolutely fantastic when you have absorbed all the nuances of a specific weapon type.

See my somewhat sloppy play with Kusarigama, for example:

Multiple human enemies: https://streamable.com/tvued4
VS a human boss: https://streamable.com/hfrga8

Puukko

Arcane
Grabbed this on sale and having a good time with it. Once you start learning the unorthodox mechanics like ki pulse, it gets going since simple Souls style tango won't get you very far. I found myself getting comboed and out of stamina a lot before that. Running odachi + tonfas which I think gives me a good array of big/wide hits and faster combos. I wonder how long until the game really expects you to know stance switching?

Funnily, I think I'm having a bit more fun with these Soulslikes over actual Souls games. I think the base formula in those games may be getting a bit worn out while the novel approaches of "imitators" make for more unique experiences. Sekiro is likely up next for me.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wonder how long until the game really expects you to know stance switching?
the game isn't all that punishing in that regard, it is entirely possible to beat it without mastering stance switching. I did it that way using Kusarigama.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It really doesn't, yeah, but that is really the case with almost any action based system. I remember beating a boss with just guns only in DMC1 back in the day just because it was easy, but of course it was tedious and long-winded as fuck. Same applies here. Good mastery of stance switching gives you access to bigger pool of various skills and allows you to be more pro-active in combat, nothing else.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Grabbed this on sale and having a good time with it. Once you start learning the unorthodox mechanics like ki pulse, it gets going since simple Souls style tango won't get you very far. I found myself getting comboed and out of stamina a lot before that. Running odachi + tonfas which I think gives me a good array of big/wide hits and faster combos. I wonder how long until the game really expects you to know stance switching?

Funnily, I think I'm having a bit more fun with these Soulslikes over actual Souls games. I think the base formula in those games may be getting a bit worn out while the novel approaches of "imitators" make for more unique experiences. Sekiro is likely up next for me.
I remember when Nioh 1 came out (Nioh 2 for that matter as well. Given some never played Nioh 1). Saw bitching and complaining about always running out of stamina. But if they bothered to learn Ki pulse and stance switching as the game wants you to then stamina isn't that much of a problem.

Puukko

Arcane
Ah man, this sunken temple area. This boss is rough. I found out I should light the bonfires to prevent the adds from spawning at least, but that requires finding them first. I am low on fire buff items but I do have have some other fire based attack items left. I've got to say, the level design has been consistently great.

It's pretty silly how easy it is to find great gear by fighting revenants. I don't see myself crafting any weapons or armor like this.

praetor

Arcane
Puukko smithing is an endgame/NG+/NG++/NG+++ thing.

i'm not so sure... after seeing some traditional bladesmithing vids forging finnish knives, puukko smithing is probably more difficult than it looks like, but not quite NG+. but maybe it depends on the particular puukko style...

sorry

Ivan

Arcane
Started this myself recently and it's "clicked." I don't mind the recycled levels for new runs. The loot isn't nearly as distracting or time consuming as I had imagined.

Still trying to figure out why I can't Soul Match certain weapons...will need more tinkering.

Puukko

Arcane
The recycled levels are fine since it usually changes the weather and of course enemy layouts. Having the graves come to life on their own was spooky the first time.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder how long until the game really expects you to know stance switching?
the game isn't all that punishing in that regard, it is entirely possible to beat it without mastering stance switching. I did it that way using Kusarigama.

Yep, I've went trough 95% on Axe High style alone.
Used Low stance for a few select dojo and boss fights.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Axe is somewhat terrible for comboing anyway, so just using one stance isn't a big deal. All the heavy hitter skills can be assigned to high stance.

Ivan

Arcane
Thoughts after a dozen hours or so:

The core combat loop is great. You have a solid variety of weapons to play around with. I myself favor the large sword that you can Ki-switch to different stances. To my surprise, my biggest gripe so far has to do with the progression. It still feels like all it takes is one to two good hits to send you to death's door. Because of this, it makes the living weapon (devil trigger) feel very overpowered and functions as a get out of jail free card. It's helped me trivialize bosses once I get them halfway to 2/3 of their health pool down. I was having tons of trouble with the Giant Frog until I realized I just just farm to get my devil trigger ready, enter the fight, fight him halfway, then just mop up with devil trigger. Also, it's funny to me how you can meet a level end boss and just stomp him with the devil trigger in SECONDS. Back to the progression, something that I miss a lot from Dark Souls is seeing you HP/Stamina bars grow across the screen. Here, it's very hard to feel any progression on that front. Still, I'm having an enjoyable time, not so much with the boss fights unfortunately. Level design is serviceable but I totally understand people's desire for a large world versus the one-off levels that are presented here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom