Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Normally you don't really see the true powah of consoles elicited until the last 1-2 years of their lifespan. And the lag of software development vis-a-vis hardware capability surely doesn't seem to get any smaller this time around either.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
technology needs to move on, we'll get there eventually, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves trying to push it on current mainstream hardware, especially consoles.

Not really, it's always been like this
The next generation of consoles are always used to push the next big tech thing

The og xbox pushed for online multiplayer, and it become the norm in the PS3/360 generation.

Meanwhile those consoles pushed for 1080p and digital services, which became the norm by the time the PS4/Xbone rolled in.

This last in turn pushed for 4k, VR and streaming. Fortunately streaming hasn't succeeded (yet, because those bastards sure are trying). VR has become far more cheaper and common to the point where major releases either feature a VR mode or are completely made for VR (i.e. VR is here to stay). 4k is supported by pretty much every game now, and 4k screens (and even 2k) are starting to replace 1080p

Now raytracing has already being pushed for 2 years now
And the PS5 + XboxXx were made to specifically support that tech
So you bet your ass that almost every AAA game of the next 5 years are going to have it
By 2025/26 this WILL be the norm

You get prettier reflections, shadows and ambient acclusion, not actual full raytraced lighting in these consoles. Because they can't handle more. It's a gimmick and will remain so until PS6 and Xbox Spencer X.

Silentstorm

Learned
Is it true that Microsoft took a really long time giving developers Devkits?

Read something about how Sony was far more open about the PS5 and pratically delivered Devkits a year before the devkits for Xbox Series got released, and that was with the PS5 being more similar to develop games for people already used to the PS4 while the Xbox Series have a bit more changes in how one goes towards programming games for.

Just feels a bit odd, though i guess it explains how despite being the most powerful console, some games already run worse on the Xbox Series X than on PS5, the devs just aren't good enough to actually optimize for it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick and it won't go away like a fad, that doesn't make any sense. It's a demanding graphical advancement that isn't really worth it right now, but that doesn't mean it has no future or use. Don't be over-dramatic.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick and it won't go away like a fad, that doesn't make any sense. It's a demanding graphical advancement that isn't really worth it right now, but that doesn't mean it has no future or use. Don't be over-dramatic.
Agree. It is one of the next logical steps in graphical advancements. It will stick on, especially since from now on, both GPU manufacturers will support it on their cards. And as cards will become more powerful, it will be more and more easier to use this feature in games. Why wouldn't the devs use it if they have the opportunity?

I believe I read that the GTX 3000 series of cards is supposed to be able to handle ray tracing more or less like it's not even turned on in the first place due to some changes in how they processed that stuff. That could've been marketing tomfoolery, but either way, new cards are certainly going to handle it far better and continue to do so with every iteration.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Just feels a bit odd, though i guess it explains how despite being the most powerful console, some games already run worse on the Xbox Series X than on PS5, the devs just aren't good enough to actually optimize for it.

The consoles are basically the same... If any console could benefit from special optimizations, is the PS5, not the Xbox, since the PS5 has a much faster SSD controller that it can use to fast-load data into RAM(so hypothetically it could be used in creative ways to boost performance), while the Xbox has a more traditional SSD. There is not much need for other special optimizations between the 2 versions (outside from some minor alterations here and there to keep framerate stable). In fact, the differences are lower than the previous gen....

Well, the current implementation of raytracing IS a gimmick. No one is arguing that raytracing per se is a gimmick. After all, it is a very old technique, Pixar has been using it for decades for example...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, the current implementation of raytracing IS a gimmick. No one is arguing that raytracing per se is a gimmick. After all, it is a very old technique, Pixar has been using it for decades for example...

I think it was a gimmick when the 2000 series cards came out, absolutely. With the 3000 series and consoles using it, I don't think I'd call it that anymore really. Or at least it won't be much longer, since more and more games will be using it and in ways that are less demanding due to the consoles. Also if you like DLSS, it's pretty usable now.

Vyadhis

Learned
I'm not a big hardware expert but is it true that the ps5's gpu is better than a 2070 super? I just brought one early this year in hopes of being set for awhile but hearing this news kinda bums me out considering I paid more for the GPU than what a non-scalped PS5 costs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
4k60 games that on console that are graphically demanding? Well since PS5 and SeX are officially out now I guess the only one that qualifies is AC: Valhalla.

soulburner

Cipher
I'm not a big hardware expert but is it true that the ps5's gpu is better than a 2070 super? I just brought one early this year in hopes of being set for awhile but hearing this news kinda bums me out considering I paid more for the GPU than what a non-scalped PS5 costs.
The PS5 GPU has the same amount of shaders and compute units as the RX5700XT, however it is based on an updated RDNA2 architecture, which should give it significantly higher IPC, so it's not directly comparable. Theoretically it should sit somewhere between the RX5700XT and RX6800, so keeping in mind that the 5700XT is comparable to the 2070 Super (depending on a game it might be slightly faster or slower), I think it is safe to assume the PS5 is more powerful. Will it translate to some upcoming PC games underperforming - only time will tell. I think if you're playing in 1080p/60Hz you should be safe, but anything higher is an unknown at this point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
4k60 games that on console that are graphically demanding? Well since PS5 and SeX are officially out now I guess the only one that qualifies is AC: Valhalla.

It doesn't get anywhere near 4k native, watch the Digital Foundry video. Also it dips below 60 often. Also also it's a last-gen game on a next-gen machine, so I'm not even sure it qualifies for the question really.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ye, X release games have been a huge meh.

Ordered mine today. Should get it 30/12.
Atleast Medium should be out by then. Looking at my app it lists 611 games combined with owned and gamepass so its not like I dont have anything to play.

PS5 is gonna have to wait a year or two till Tsushima and Demon Souls get into that PS Hits list and are purchasable for 19.99.
Cant really justify it now with these new game prices. Maybe if you're one of those that plays 2-3 games a year but for me its a no deal in current state.

Falksi

Arcane
But to people who know their stuff and have money, the Xbox is way less ideal, i have genuinely seen people that made PC rigs that cost them 3000 dollars or more wondering about this, and they never consider "Maybe people just don't want to spend more than 500 dollars on a gaming platform that will run everything available to it?" because why should them, they clearly have more money than poorfags.

This idea you need a $3,000 PC is silly shit meant to make consoles seem like even more of a value than they actually are. You could build a $1,000 PC tomorrow that will compete with the Series X its whole lifespan. Is $1,000 twice as much as the console? Yes. Is it $3,000? No. Also if you simply wait a year or two, you can use that same $1,000 to blow away the Series X in every way, and we likely will barely see any real "next-gen" games that whole time anyway.

Throw in the fact you have to pay for online with consoles, and that a lot of people likely get more than one console or get a "pro" version later, and the price savings really isn't as massive as people act like it is. The real thing consoles have over PC is convenience. Plug in an HDMI cord to your television and plop down on the couch and go. Come home from work, hit a button and start playing in two seconds. That's the appeal of consoles.

Spot on. It is fucking nuts that for me to get a proper console experience nowadays, I boot up the PC and run emulators.

I fucking hate my PS4, simply because 90% of the time it's trying to do a poor imitation of a PC.

Azdul

Magister
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick and it won't go away like a fad, that doesn't make any sense. It's a demanding graphical advancement that isn't really worth it right now, but that doesn't mean it has no future or use.
Current game engines are mostly smoke and mirrors, both literally (lines of code), and figuratively. All the neat tricks invented over the years to approximate light behavior do not work well together - and that's why rasterization is slowly reaching end of its potential.

Many effects need to be manually placed and prerendered - so level geometry and diffused lightning needs to be static. No physical simulation for large objects, or time of day / weather changes - or everything will start looking 'wrong'.

In AAA productions where player moves through predetermined path (Last of Us, Uncharted, Order 1886) - you can get away with rasterization, and hundreds of designers touching up every object along the way, and still look stunning. But in Minecraft or Fortnite - where players modify the geometry - some advanced graphical effects either need to be done through ray tracing - or disabled.

User was nabbed fit

Playing Astro's Playroom on the PS5 (comes free with every console), and it's a pretty refreshing breath of fresh air. Makes great use of the haptic feedback on the DualSense controller.

astros-playroom-ps5_49996615532_o_jpg_1024x768_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Consoles will never be a replacement for PC gaming, but they've got that chill vibe experience going for them, and the PS5 nails it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Took a look at two Swedish sites: Blocket and Tradera. PS5s are selling for an average of $1000. Scalpers are having a field day.

IceyD

Scholar
Launch hype is a lot of fun but there's really not much to play at the moment. I finished DeS and now I'm playin 13 Sentinels, a PS4 title.

The PS Plus Collection is a crazy value though, if you haven't played those titles yet.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Launch hype is a lot of fun but there's really not much to play at the moment. I finished DeS and now I'm playin 13 Sentinels, a PS4 title.

The PS Plus Collection is a crazy value though, if you haven't played those titles yet.
I guess a lot of PS4 games are worth it thanks to better performance. 13 Sentinels is one such game. Ys IX is another one with a big performance boost.

Covid-19 fucked up the launch of many games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom