Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AI Dungeon 2 - a bizarre procedurally generated text adventure

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You thought it couldn't get worse. But it did get worse...

Micro transactions are here.

7r45XBA.png

Currency Store: We are testing out our new in-app Scales Currency on the web version of the app! There are a couple cool new worlds that you can purchase. Check out this link for more information on why we added Scales to AI Dungeon: https://aidungeon.io/2020/10/01/ai-cost-update/

At first, it's just to buy more worlds, but they'll probably make you pay per use of Dragon eventually.

10/30/2020

Banned Words: In an effort to increase user safety, you can now add banned words in game settings for words that may be triggering to you for any reason. This also means that if you have banned words and you are hosting a multiplayer that the ban is enforced for that story, but not for multiplayer stories you play that you do not own. This allows an individual level of censorship for individuals, with having no banned words being uncensored as it is now.

Placeholder Text: Fixed an issue where placeholder text across the app was the wrong color and was in the wrong place.

Story Button: Believe we've fixed the issue where the Story button could become massive. Let us know if you're still seeing that after updating.

Command Buttons: Reversed the order of the command button pagination to keep high use icons easily accessible.Fixed an issue where hidden command buttons still counted for pagination.Fixed an issue where changing your hidden buttons wouldn't take effect immediately.
they put it in to censor naughty words.

I'm using it to finally get rid of Kyros and Count Grey. :argh:

edit: hmm seems like it's only for what users can say in multiplayer games? decline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
they put it in to censor naughty words.
It already censors things to a huge degree and is why I gave up on it. I wanted to play a sword and sorcery adventure, classic Conan stuff. Long story short is that I described a villain I was supposed to fight as a rapist, among other things, and the game changed that into something along the lines of 'Groknar is a huge savage beast from the lands of Shem, most known for respecting women.' Some experimenting with that and I realized that not only was the AI severely lobotomized and gimped, but that even minor things were changed or unresponsive to a degree that it would get in the way of not just edgelord adventures, but pretty much anything not sterilized. I understand that the author wants to make a buck out of this and if you put up your app on the official corporate storefronts you can only offend certain groups, like when Instagram approved of beheading white people on their platform, even so I wish there was an alternative that wasn't so restricted. If I can't go on grimdark sword and sorcery adventures then this thing is useless to me. Because that's the entire appeal here, to go crazy with it, to read graphic descriptions of violence that you wouldn't get anywhere else and all that.

It already censors things to a huge degree and is why I gave up on it.
you can say thing censored things, but you need to change it in the settings.
Some experimenting with that and I realized that not only was the AI severely lobotomized and gimped, but that even minor things were changed or unresponsive to a degree that it would get in the way of not just edgelord adventures, but pretty much anything not sterilized.
Well, you must have not scrolled up to my Nazi adventure where I went back in time to help Hitler win WW2...

That said, I would feel weird for helping you make your creepy elf rape fanfics so figure it out yourself. :M

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
you have to turn on NSFW mode and turn "safe mode" off under "edit adventure" if you want that word to work.
I read that the NSFW mode was just to label your scenario for others, there is no way to turn off the censorship. I got the impression that some things just didn't register with the AI and sure, you can write it yourself, but then you could just write a story all by yourself entirely. There are some things that the AI won't read and respond to, I'm sure of that. It is hard to know when it is just dumb and when the restrictions kick in however. Maybe I got unlucky and was handed a mix of both.

When you force something (such as a word that it doesn't like) it doesn't make the connections it should. Let's say the dev hated dogs and wanted them gone from the experience. You could type that a dog is coming towards you anyway, but the AI wouldn't know that it was furry, that it had a tail and all that. It would treat it as if you had just made up a creature on the spot. Make the entire entry reliant on the AI knowing what a dog is and you will be met with one of those cases where it can't come up with anything.

I don't know how it works underneath but that is what it seems like from playing around with it.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Sorry for doubleposting but if it works that way then for example the AI won't know that this ugly villain here is supposed to be raping if he can, it will either read it as if he actually respects women, or it will add the descriptor to him as some made up word that has no impact or bearing on the rest of the text. So while you can make it as grimdark as you want if you want to, you have to do all of the legwork yourself since the AI is lobotomized enough that it won't understand what you are feeding it and certainly won't take any initiatives by itself in those directions. That's just one example but I noticed that several times during my barbarian campaign and it put sticks in my wheels when I was about to go Ramsay Bolton.

Special Halloween Cthulhu world:
https://play.aidungeon.io/main/cthulhu
Arkham

"What lay behind our joint love of shadows and marvels was, no doubt, the ancient, mouldering, and subtly fearsome town in which we live - witch-cursed, legend-haunted Arkham, whose huddled, sagging gambrel roofs and crumbling Georgian balustrades brood out the centuries beside the darkly muttering Miskatonic." - H.P. Lovecraft

I read that the NSFW mode was just to label your scenario for others, there is no way to turn off the censorship.
you may be right about that, I don't know. it seems like turning it off results in an immediate change for me. but worst case you can just use other language.

I've put a lot of time into this game and I will say that the one thing it isn't is sanitized.

They are trying to do it with the safe mode though and that definitely affects gameplay.

Safe Mode
Safe mode prevents the AI from using explicit words

Andronovo

Learned
One thing you should try, is talking to the AI directly. Especially if you have Dragon, it seems quite capable at answering complex philosophical questions.

Also had some fun with turning the randomness all the way down. If you do that, the whole story become mundane to the point of hilarity.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
FYI, the devs out of nowhere decided that they would implement a content filter to all user inputs and ban all non-consensual sex, animal sex and child exploitation.

Not only did this bork the AI, if your account gets flagged by the content filter, even mistakenly, a human moderator will open your account and read through your private, unpublished stories to make sure you aren't abusing the fictional characters in your game. If you are, they will ban your account. This has been confirmed in their Discord.

https://latitude.io/blog/update-to-our-community-ai-test-april-2021/

We built an automated system that detects inappropriate content. Latitude reviews content flagged by the model for the purposes of improving the model, to enforce our policies, and to comply with law.
This doesn't just affect illegal content about minors, it also affects any legal content containing non-consensual sex and will subject your account to human review even if you don't have any of those things in your story.

So basically, your stories will be read and judged worthy or unworthy for the site, even if you never publish them and even if you pay money. You are basically paying to be spied on, which even I am uncomfortable with even though I mainly write dumb anime fanfics.

While I don't like the idea of pedos getting off to fictional characters in their own imagination, I don't think that's a valid reason to spy on players any more than I think the fact that drug dealers exist should give the government the right to break into my home and rifle through my underwear drawer to make sure I don't have any weed.

nNSF6wI.png

It's dead, Jim.

/thread

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
What a shame, censorship claim yet another, since that arbitrary ruling will be expanded upon soon.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
FYI, the devs out of nowhere decided that they would implement a content filter to all user inputs and ban all non-consensual sex, animal sex and child exploitation.

Not only did this bork the AI, if your account gets flagged by the content filter, even mistakenly, a human moderator will open your account and read through your private, unpublished stories to make sure you aren't abusing the fictional characters in your game. If you are, they will ban your account. This has been confirmed in their Discord.

https://latitude.io/blog/update-to-our-community-ai-test-april-2021/

We built an automated system that detects inappropriate content. Latitude reviews content flagged by the model for the purposes of improving the model, to enforce our policies, and to comply with law.
This doesn't just affect illegal content about minors, it also affects any legal content containing non-consensual sex and will subject your account to human review even if you don't have any of those things in your story.

So basically, your stories will be read and judged worthy or unworthy for the site, even if you never publish them and even if you pay money. You are basically paying to be spied on, which even I am uncomfortable with even though I mainly write dumb anime fanfics.

While I don't like the idea of pedos getting off to fictional characters in their own imagination, I don't think that's a valid reason to spy on players any more than I think the fact that drug dealers exist should give the government the right to break into my home and rifle through my underwear drawer to make sure I don't have any weed.

nNSF6wI.png

It's dead, Jim.

/thread
Young girls are only for the elites, not for the plebs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Look at Senators, Governors, Presidents & their pervy sons who love China & Russia. They claim to be elite as well so... fitting.

lightbane

Arcane
Young girls are only for the elites, not for the plebs.
Gotta protect fictional people, not the real ones, of course.
I won't be surprised if the devs behind this decisions are furries, leftards and/or pedobears themselves, like for example the Discord ones.

Seethe

Arbiter
I am not sure what are they trying to achieve with this. Is it yet more virtue signaling grandstanding? And why should everyone else suffer because of it? What is the practicality of doing this, exactly?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I am not sure what are they trying to achieve with this. Is it yet more virtue signaling grandstanding? And why should everyone else suffer because of it? What is the practicality of doing this, exactly?
Not sure. It's either Latitude or OpenAI behind it. Maybe both. Not what the truth is. In either case, it really seems like one of the two is ok with cutting off up to half of their userbase and is just blaming it on pedos.

It could genuinely be that it really was an honest attempt to limit certain types of perversion, since the creators are mormons, or it could be that OpenAI is genuinely disgusted with some of the outputs they've seen. Or it could be profit motive on the part of either company. Latitude could be interested in making their company more sellable by cleaning it up, or OpenAI could bein interested in finding a way out of a contract with them and was using this as a way to force them into unprofitability.

Regardless of whose idea it was, the PR handling of this has been shockingly bad and currently amounts to Latitude pretending nothing is wrong and not talking to anyone, save a few media outlets that have noticed the flames and poked their corpse to check on them. Vice, for example.

Sheer incompetence is what I've come to expect from Latitude. It's taken years for them to even give users the option not to be in constant beta mode and having to deal with whatever changes the devs came up with that week, even if it broke the product completely, but this is really bad, even for them.

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
nooooo you can't just remove rape and pedophilia from the game!
Only pedophiles are upset for this update.
There is no way with current technology that they can actually stop pedos from getting around this, without making a flagging system so broad it hits tons of normal users and subjects their nominally private content to human review. Anything which doesn't create an absurd number of false positives is going to be as ineffective as their earlier more subtle attempts to prevent rape and racist content. Personally, I don't think it's worth fucking over the broader userbase in order to prevent a tiny minority of users from doing something that—while disgusting—does not harm anything but letters on a page and is unlikely to be markedly worse than what you can find sold in the bookstore.
They are either retarded, or they know this perfectly well and are just using pedo shit as a pretext. A useful pretext, which allows them to make the kind of "Ohoho you are mad about anti-pedo measures? Suspicious..." deflection you're aping, whether sincerely or because pedo allegations are an easy way to get people seething.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom