Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Game cover art leaked:
sample_ebc2b2657dffd873409e8195699380c7.jpg

Vyadhis

Learned
I recommend using this awesome tool for Nocturne. And any other game of the franchise.
https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt3/demons

Magatamas can give you abilities, BUT it is not stated at which level. Checking faqs and such are recommended as otherwise you'll waste your time and levels trying to guess what does what. Lastly, the Heretic Manor webpage is very useful for fusion min-maxing.

Another tip: Fusing two different elemental-type demons create Mitamas, that can be used to empower demons and give them new skills, without having them change race. Mandatory to have for proper power-gaming. Alas, they usually require a high level to fuse into existence. However, they exist in most games of the series.
Bare with me here for the following question, it concerns magatama:

I checked a guide and it says, for example, that the ankh magatama gives Dia at level 5. Does that mean 5 levels gained with it equipped or do I simply miss out on the skill if I level up without it equipped?

lightbane

Arcane
I checked a guide and it says, for example, that the ankh magatama gives Dia at level 5. Does that mean 5 levels gained with it equipped or do I simply miss out on the skill if I level up without it equipped?

I still have to play the special Chronicle edition so my memory is rusted, but I believe you have to be at least that level minimum to get that skill. So, once you're sure you're about to level up to 5 or 6+, swap Magatamas before the battle and you're done. IIRC, you can check the things themselves in the Magatama menu. Depending on their color and movement, you're close to learn something from them, it will take a while before learning a skill, or you have learned everything already.

A good build for the game is one focusing on physical attacks, which means go all the way with STR and VIT. Agility sadly doesn't do much, nor does luck. You can go with MAG and VIT instead, it's also a viable choice. However, for the true game a physical build is easier. The game gives you a special skill to make that way easier to boot.

Vyadhis

Learned

I still have to play the special Chronicle edition so my memory is rusted, but I believe you have to be at least that level minimum to get that skill. So, once you're sure you're about to level up to 5 or 6+, swap Magatamas before the battle and you're done. IIRC, you can check the things themselves in the Magatama menu. Depending on their color and movement, you're close to learn something from them, it will take a while before learning a skill, or you have learned everything already.

A good build for the game is one focusing on physical attacks, which means go all the way with STR and VIT. Agility sadly doesn't do much, nor does luck. You can go with MAG and VIT instead, it's also a viable choice. However, for the true game a physical build is easier. The game gives you a special skill to make that way easier to boot.
Oh really? Damn, I put some points into agility because gfaqs said it was a good secondary stat but I guess from now on ill pump vit along with STR instead.

For the TDE it only matters that I finish the optional dungeon before entering the final one, right? I want that ending since it has the most stuff to do.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Oh really? Damn, I put some points into agility because gfaqs said it was a good secondary stat but I guess from now on ill pump vit along with STR instead.

If you want to know more about how agility is calculated, and how it affects other stats, you can go check the first half of the page of this website(owned by Zombero, the author of the hardtype patch) that gives a short rundown on the agility and luck stats: https://zombero.wordpress.com/category/smt-nocturne/

lightbane

Arcane

For the TDE it only matters that I finish the optional dungeon before entering the final one, right? I want that ending since it has the most stuff to do.

To be fair, if you're a completionist, you can get away with just upping STR and VIT to 40, since the max is 50 and you can get a special thing that gives all of your stats +10. For the canon ending, you must complete the Amala dungeon and take the elevator down at the end of it BEFORE the cutscene that activates the final dungeon (you'll know when you see it). You can defeat the boss of the Amala Labyrinth and go back if you don't want the TDE ending.
Supposedly the special Japanese Chronicle edition with Raidou gives you a final choice regarding this to boot, since the consequences of the True Demon Ending are... Very final.

grimace

Arcane
I expect Atlust to announce the release date via social media instead of an actual trailer. That's what they did with SJR, and why the only SJR trailers on Atlus West's channel is the announcement and launch trailer with no release date trailer to be found.

Browse https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/top/ often enough to see a link to a Tweet for an announcement of an announcement.

Check https://www.youtube.com/c/atlus/videos once a quarter.

Log out of world wide web and talk to demons and angels in reality.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's gonna b shit anyway. They should just end the SMT mainline franchise and create another Spin-off for the new team to work on the games and take them in the direction they want. All we'll get is an SMT game made by devs who'd rather be doing persona or some other shit but instead are shackled by the SMT conventions.

No point continuing SMT without Kaneko.

grimace

Arcane
The West will Decline further until we hear news of Nocturne HD.

Western release of Nocturne was planned on 'spring' and there nono mention of it too. WTF Altus?

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37481/Shin+Megami+Tensei+III+Nocturne+HD+Remaster/

This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of a student transformed into a half-demon in Tokyo. From a third-person perspective, players explore Tokyo, interact with demons, and engage in turn-based battles with enemy creatures. Players use melee attacks, magic spells, and demons' abilities to kill enemies. Battles are sometimes frenetic, accompanied by screen-shaking effects, bursts of lights, and impact sounds. Some sequences depict additional acts of violence and blood: a bloodied man snapping a character's neck; characters lying in corridors, stained with streaks of blood; a character wearing the skinned faces of his victims. The game contains some sexual material: topless female demons; a demonic creature with a phallic-shaped head and torso; demons with suggestive traits referenced in text (e.g., “Succubus”; “They visit women in their sleep and have sexual intercourse with them"; “Like their mother, they have sex with men at night"; "The victims won't wake up during sex…”). The word “f**k” is heard in the game.

SMT III Three HD is dark and Persona fans want to know if they should pre-order it.

lightbane

Arcane
I guess the fact the world ends right at the start and is replaced by literal demons was lost on them.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I wonder how SMT V will be like, hope they backpedal on Apocalypse themes of friendship and stuff (even if i went massacre route) or they'll go back to more traditional SMT stuff. Persona 5 was fucking HUGE bringing a lot of new people to Megami Tensei franchise in general (seriously, prices of all games in the series skyrocketed during this year) i enjoy both Persona and SMT, for different reasons (SMT for atmosphere and combat, Persona for min maxing time management) but dislike when they mix up.

I wonder how SMT V will be like, hope they backpedal on Apocalypse themes of friendship and stuff (even if i went massacre route) or they'll go back to more traditional SMT stuff. Persona 5 was fucking HUGE bringing a lot of new people to Megami Tensei franchise in general (seriously, prices of all games in the series skyrocketed during this year) i enjoy both Persona and SMT, for different reasons (SMT for atmosphere and combat, Persona for min maxing time management) but dislike when they mix up.
The feeling I got from the trailer is that they want to imitate Nocturne more than Final. Will that hit the mark? Probably not but, imitating the atmosphere of Nocturne is a higher cause than Final

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I would preffer that they made their own thing, like strange journey was, i don't like the modern trend or remaking games, it shows a big lack of direction.

grimace

Arcane
Follow the money.

If Persona 5 sold the most copies than that product will influence SMT V.

How well did SMT IV:A sell? It was the most accessible, most polished, most mainstream product in the SMT line thus far.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nocturne atmosphere and world building with Apocalypses gameplay and boss design would be neat. Actually I really liked Apocalypses atmosphere and world building as well, I just wish the dungeons were longer, but they tried to compensate that by having a gorillion of boss fights.

That whole Dancing All Night shit started with SMT2:

Funny, disco is crucial to complete the geam since it's where Moon Pillar is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom