Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Naraya

Arcane
They mentioned a few tracks from the original score dropping somewhere on streaming services for free. I'm going to look for them, unless someone has a link?
People post spotify links in the official discord. I think it's only available on spotify.

NullFlow

Savant
IGN preview had a few interesting tidbits

-The prologue is not an explosive beginning with tons of action. It's very dialogue-driven, deliberate and takes 6 hours to reach the title card.
-Once you're finished with the intro, you can roam around Night City with virtually no obstacles or enemies to halt your exploration. Resembles GTA in that aspect.
-Combat is "okay". Not mindblowing, but good.
-This is a RPG at its core with a lot of latitude in how you want to play. You can go through without raising a weapon at all and being stealthy throughout the whole experience, use your hacking skills, or go all out on violence. Though the gameplay shines when you are being creative and making use of the variety of tools available, not just shooting.
-There exists a non-negligible amount of visual bugs and significant gameplay-altering bugs like "...my UI disappeared entirely, important mission dialogue didn’t play, map waypoints wouldn’t work properly". UI is also said to be inelegant, especially the quest log.
-"Really, really cool game," but asks to temper the hype and remember it's just a very good game, not a flawless game.

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Until now I was feeling pretty unsure about how this follows up on 2013/2020 but now I'm 1000x more interested in this knowing you'll get to see the Arasaka assault via flashbacks and it's a continuation of his rebellion.

It's great for giving new players a better understanding of the lore, and it's great fan service for old Cyberpunk 2020 players.

I wish they did something similar for TW3.

ADL

Prophet
Outside of dialogue that seems pretty limited (always 2-3 options) and melee , game acutally looks really good.
If Witcher is anything to go by, it'll be fairly basic but the permutations will add up.
Personally I'm extremely happy getting Sci-Fi Witcher (but it's an immersive sim now)

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Inventory and Character screens for convenience:
BjH10Ue.png
olN1HtJ.png
opHVQOW.png
zwrDDWo.png
lhH4rAq.png
3rThaGW.png
53Pyev3.png

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Savant
"As a mercenary, you swear no allegiance. You've chosen the outlaw life-"

Well, at least they're now being honest about the state of some of the role playing options (or lack thereof). I know it's stupid to look at a cinematic trailer from 2013 and expect a game that's been in development for as long as it has to remotely represent some of the ideas from it (plus I haven't had a very close look at the old forums so this could be an ass pull on my part) but the idea of starting off as a Night City officer and then the game going from there sounded a lot better in terms of potentially branching out into something completely different by the end of the game than just being a thug day one. Oh well, guess most in here might've already figured that was the case by 2018 when they started showing off new content.

Vatnik Wumao
If Witcher is anything to go by, it'll be fairly basic but the permutations will add up.
Personally I'm extremely happy getting Sci-Fi Witcher (but it's an immersive sim now)

Never played Witcher 3. Only heard good about the story and side quest while RPG system being pretty bad.
It's an 'action RPG' with mediocre combat. Still worth a play though, particularly if you enjoy that sort of low & dark fantasy setting.

I think that the same sort of deal applies to Cyberpunk 2077 as a RPGfag - if you go into it with the right mindset, namely that it is a GTA-esque sort of game with a neat cyberpunk aesthetic and with broader RPG elements, then it seems to be a promising game.

Vatnik Wumao

Well, at least they're now being honest about the state of some of the role playing options (or lack thereof). I know it's stupid to look at a cinematic trailer from 2013 and expect a game that's been in development for as long as it has to remotely represent some of the ideas from it (plus I haven't had a very close look at the old forums so this could be an ass pull on my part) but the idea of starting off as a Night City officer and then the game going from there sounded a lot better in terms of potentially branching out into something completely different by the end of the game than just being a thug day one. Oh well, guess most in here might've already figured that was the case by 2018 when they started showing off new content.
I just hope that we at least get multiple endings, even if conditioned on just a few main plotline choices.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, far fewer previews than I expected. I guess most press outlets prefer to just publish a final review in three weeks.

Danikas

Arcane

"Night City feels like it's bursting with moments that raise these questions and push you into these kinds of choices. When I finished my 16 hours with the game, I'd amassed a huge slate of side-missions, taking me all over the city. All of them concerned fascinating characters, from Judy, Johnny, and Panam, to River, a NCPD detective investigating the death of Night City's former mayor, and Padre, a Valentino's fixer who appreciated V's attitude of getting the job done by any means. The best part of Cyberpunk 2077 is feeling like a small part of the huge world of Night City, and I'm eager to continue learning about the people who inhabit it."

You will get stuff like this in side quests.

CyberModuled

Savant
I just hope that we at least get multiple endings, even if conditioned on just a few main plotline choices.
Given how Witcher 3 worked, I'm sure it will be there most likely. I sure as fuck hope it isn't the same way as how you get it in W3 though (aka, replace Ciri with how you treat Johnny Silverhand and there being one very important side quest at the end of the game that heavily impacts what faction would take over a part of the City). In the context of Witcher 3 it works but holy fuck would it be a ton of missed potential even by what 2077 has set up so far to just copy paste that concept again.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Hey look, another e-celeb collab. But that one gets a free pass because Nina is a cutie and one of the better artists CDP managed to hire.
7xsRUjniRHr-DiSVU-STkxyP6-8bP0sJBmRlyKb7zfo.jpg

Rest of the game looks questionable. From BLACKED REEVEZD Johnny Silverhand to dumbed down and cumbersome AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME rpg system glorified perk tree.

Perkel

Arcane
Until now I was feeling pretty unsure about how this follows up on 2013/2020 but now I'm 1000x more interested in this knowing you'll get to see the Arasaka assault via flashbacks and it's a continuation of his rebellion.

First thing i noticed, there are also few flashbacks before that as well. There will be probably Blackhand as well.

Hey look, another e-celeb collab.

She's an actual DJ not some youtuber e-celeb.

Danikas

Arcane
If you were to force me to make a comparison with my tech shotgun held up, I would say: Cyberpunk 2077 is most likely like Deus Ex. Only bigger, better staged and with even more ramified stories, with more details, more role play, more open world. It is the Deus Ex that we have always wanted. And since Deus Ex is one of the best games of all time for some people (myself included), that's no small praise.

What distinguishes Cyberpunk 2077 is its versatility, its adaptability to my approach and my decisions, the sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes shocking stories and the grandiose atmosphere. I like the feeling of strolling through the lively alleys of Night City to ambient music. No, there is not something to do everywhere, not every street lamp is interactive. At the same time, it would not have been necessary to design side streets with passers-by, traders and pasta slippers. You can feel that there is love in here. In the small Japanese car even the digital dashboard flickers when I crash into the guardrail. A small thing, but nice that there are such details.

Cyberpunk always manages to surprise me. When I discover new, small details or try out new gameplay (Hey, the katana is fun too!). When I stumble across a hidden quest or - by and large - open a new story chapter with new twists. The plot is a bit like "Game of Thrones": I never know what to expect next, who will survive or die next. I just know: it won't turn out as I hoped.

From this german preview
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-preview-hands-on,3364176,fazit.html

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Inventory and Character screens for convenience:
Aug screen looks ripped right from Deus Ex which is great.
Inventory is alright definitely better than Witcher's.
The perk screens look confusing. Visually they're great but I have no idea what is going on. There's too much going on its very busy so I think that's a fail there on the UI design end of things.

Looks a lot better than the versions that were in the beta builds.

Danikas

Arcane
Who is Cyberpunk 2077 for?
  • Story fans
    Cyberpunk 2077 not only tells a gripping main story, but also adorns each secondary task with at least a little story. The role-play does not shy away from serious topics such as child murder and rape.
  • Deus Ex connoisseur
    Anyone who played the first Deus Ex appreciates not only the different solutions, but also how the game world reacts to their own actions - for example in the famous scene with the ladies' room. Cyberpunk 2077 inherits this spirit and also reacts to my actions in quests and dialogues. In addition, every mission offers several possible solutions, I can fight, hack or sneak.
  • Role player
    Thanks to the multi-faceted and free character system, you can combine skills as you wish and play as a shotgun hacker or katana ninja, for example. No way of playing has seemed superfluous or useless so far.
  • Atmosphere lovers
    The Cyberpunk game world is built with a lot of love and the lighting atmosphere is fantastic even without ray tracing. And the punk soundtrack resounds from the car radios, most of which was recorded especially for the game. By the way, there is also a jazz station, which I think is wonderfully suitable for cruising over the freeway.
Who is Cyberpunk 2077 not for?
  • Friends of »Realism«
    In contrast to role-playing games like Gothic, Cyberpunk 2077 does not logically integrate every game element. Fast travel, for example, is simply a teleport, crafting takes place via a menu instead of a workbench.
  • Happy-End-Fans
    There are funny and happy moments in Cyberpunk 2077, but basically the setting is dark and brutal - and the game lets you feel that too. If you want to play something that lifts your own mood, you might be missing the place here.
  • Rockstar lovers
    Okay, we have to restrict that a bit: Of course, you can also have fun with Cyberpunk 2077 if you enjoyed playing GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 (in single player mode). You just have to realize that cyberpunk cannot lead to the same open-world chaos as the Rockstar games.
  • Racing player
    If a realistic and demanding driving model is important to you in a game - regardless of the genre - Cyberpunk 2077 will not make you happy. The cars are not spongy, but they are not realistic either. And the collision behavior shows strange capers.
  • Shooter purists
    The shootings of Cyberpunk 2077 play well and smoothly, but not like a shooter because opponents swallow a lot more bullets. Headshots cause additional damage, but are not immediately fatal either. Cyberpunk 2077 is a role-playing game in which character and item values are more important than skill.
Also from that german preview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom